News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bryson Donelson Compared to Best in Section History

Started by Press Box Hero, December 12, 2023, 02:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Press Box Hero

I'm curious who everyone on here believes had the greatest football season in Central Section history regardless of division. Base this on season stats, Valley championships, state titles, team impact.

in 16 games (15-1) Bryson Donelson finished with 3,290 rushing yards with 58 total TDs, a D2 section title and a D2-A state title. He also played a good amount of defense and was the team's punter. Rushed for 198 yards and scored 4 times in state game.

Without doing a deep dive I've thought of Kazmeir Allen in 2017, McKay Christianson in 1993, Christian Rossi in 2013 ....maybe one of the James boys from Dos Palos, Trent Tompkins, Jameson Silva?

Others?

Press Box Hero

TeddyKGB

I think its too tough to narrow down one, only because of rule changes that affect the game.

I would say

90s- McCay (93) CW
     Steve Wofford Bakersfield High(94)

2000s-Tyler Clutts Clovis
      D. Dorsey TU (01)

TeddyKGB

steve-o

if your not cheating your not trying!!

steve-o

if your not cheating your not trying!!

Darth Backer

I think the difference between Kazmier and Donelson is that CVC was constantly in dog fights and he still did that. Kazmier was still being fed in the 4th quarter up by 49 on Monache. Same thing with Dom Dorsey, TU always ran it up on people. Donelson was doing what he did with the game on the line.

I have to give the nod to Donelson for the greatest season for a RB in section history. 58 TD's is just obscene. His receiving and kick returns yards are nuts too, what's his total yards for the season got to be? 5,000?

Darth Backer

Press Box Hero

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 13, 2023, 07:57:56 AMI think the difference between Kazmier and Donelson is that CVC was constantly in dog fights and he still did that. Kazmier was still being fed in the 4th quarter up by 49 on Monache. Same thing with Dom Dorsey, TU always ran it up on people. Donelson was doing what he did with the game on the line.

I have to give the nod to Donelson for the greatest season for a RB in section history. 58 TD's is just obscene. His receiving and kick returns yards are nuts too, what's his total yards for the season got to be? 5,000?

Spot on about Donelson in dog fights. I watched his performances against Tehachapi and Simi Valley in person and state title online. All his TDs mattered.

Press Box Hero

Darth Backer

He had 654 receiving and 311 in returns.

That's 4,255.

Darth Backer

Cristobal

Herman Cooks had a great year for Sanger in 98'. 2,517 yrds, 38 tds in 13 games. This was while Sanger was still in the TRAC for competitive reference. Thats a 200 yd, 8 yrds per carry and 2 TD per game avg vs some of the best TRAC teams ever. Went for 210 and 3 tds vs Ricky Manning and Edison to win Small school Valley Title.

Best player I saw growing up but i got that hometown bias.

Cristobal

Darth Backer

Herm was a monster! He played adult flag football into his 40's and was a monster out there as well.

Darth Backer

izne1home

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 13, 2023, 09:08:06 AMHerm was a monster! He played adult flag football into his 40's and was a monster out there as well.

American rugby. 

izne1home

Darth Backer

Quote from: izne1home on December 13, 2023, 11:27:53 AMAmerican rugby. 

There was a time in California that 8vs.8 flag was huge. Looked a lot like Arena Football.

Darth Backer

izne1home

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 13, 2023, 11:33:23 AMThere was a time in California that 8vs.8 flag was huge. Looked a lot like Arena Football.

I played in a league at Fresno State in the late 70s.  It was insanely competitive. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on December 13, 2023, 02:27:14 PMI played in a league at Fresno State in the late 70s.  It was insanely competitive. 

that wasn't a league that was the Special Olympics

TeddyKGB

izne1home

izne1home

Darth Backer

Quote from: izne1home on December 13, 2023, 02:27:14 PMI played in a league at Fresno State in the late 70s.  It was insanely competitive. 

Fresno is actually one of the "hotbed" areas for adult flag football.

The National Tournament is Vegas was no joke. Keith Poole had a pretty good team for years with a bunch of his Arizona State guys.

Darth Backer

TheRealJGWentworth

Quote from: Press Box Hero on December 12, 2023, 02:10:51 PMI'm curious who everyone on here believes had the greatest football season in Central Section history regardless of division. Base this on season stats, Valley championships, state titles, team impact.

in 16 games (15-1) Bryson Donelson finished with 3,290 rushing yards with 58 total TDs, a D2 section title and a D2-A state title. He also played a good amount of defense and was the team's punter. Rushed for 198 yards and scored 4 times in state game.

Without doing a deep dive I've thought of Kazmeir Allen in 2017, McKay Christianson in 1993, Christian Rossi in 2013 ....maybe one of the James boys from Dos Palos, Trent Tompkins, Jameson Silva?

Others?

If we are talking the greatest football season and then you insert "regardless of division" while also basing it off of "season stats, Valley championships, state titles, team impact" then there really is only one true answer at this moment, and partially due to the nature of the State Championship Era: Joseph Garcia of Strathmore, and no one really comes close in terms of impact. Remember, this is "regardless of division." The reason is a 16-0 record, 726 PF 280 PA, 3,500 all-purpose yards, and 53 tds. Joseph Garcia was an angry runner his senior year capping it off with a state championship victory. Some additional and objectively better stats from State playoffs:

-Had 4 tds in the State Championship game
-14 tot tds in State playoffs (WHAT?!)
-rushed for 223 yards in the State Championship game
-Rushed for over 220 yards in each of the state playoff games

If you want to take this discussion to the next level of which running back had the greatest varsity career and impact take a look at these stats:

-8000+ career all-purpose yards
-2 back-to-back Valley Championships (D6 Section Championships)
-Back-to-back State Championship appearances
-2 Regional State Championships
-1 State Championship Runner-up
-1 State Championship victory
-16-0 season in 2017
-37-7 varsity career win record
-2x 2000 rushing yard seasons (senior year 2800 rushing yards)

As a senior, Garcia led his team to shootout wins when it mattered, see SHS vs. Hilmar 52-51 (2 OT) win, a redemption victory against the team that won state a year prior in St. Patrick-St. Vincent 49-35 (29-28 loss for SHS in 2016), and a victory against Orange 31-29. Close games, and they were back-and-forth games where every yard was hard fought.

P.S. long-time lurker here (about 10 years) and finally made an account to reply here.

TheRealJGWentworth

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

Quote from: TheRealJGWentworth on December 14, 2023, 10:51:30 AMIf we are talking the greatest football season and then you insert "regardless of division" while also basing it off of "season stats, Valley championships, state titles, team impact" then there really is only one true answer at this moment, and partially due to the nature of the State Championship Era: Joseph Garcia of Strathmore, and no one really comes close in terms of impact. Remember, this is "regardless of division." The reason is a 16-0 record, 726 PF 280 PA, 3,500 all-purpose yards, and 53 tds. Joseph Garcia was an angry runner his senior year capping it off with a state championship victory. Some additional and objectively better stats from State playoffs:

-Had 4 tds in the State Championship game
-14 tot tds in State playoffs (WHAT?!)
-rushed for 223 yards in the State Championship game
-Rushed for over 220 yards in each of the state playoff games

If you want to take this discussion to the next level of which running back had the greatest varsity career and impact take a look at these stats:

-8000+ career all-purpose yards
-2 back-to-back Valley Championships (D6 Section Championships)
-Back-to-back State Championship appearances
-2 Regional State Championships
-1 State Championship Runner-up
-1 State Championship victory
-16-0 season in 2017
-37-7 varsity career win record
-2x 2000 rushing yard seasons (senior year 2800 rushing yards)

As a senior, Garcia led his team to shootout wins when it mattered, see SHS vs. Hilmar 52-51 (2 OT) win, a redemption victory against the team that won state a year prior in St. Patrick-St. Vincent 49-35 (29-28 loss for SHS in 2016), and a victory against Orange 31-29. Close games, and they were back-and-forth games where every yard was hard fought.

P.S. long-time lurker here (about 10 years) and finally made an account to reply here.

Yah, I think what really makes Donelson amazing is that he did it at a high level. D2 Valley and an upper state division. And when you couple that with the fact that he is a Fresno State commit it causes him to outshine the Strathmore kid. The tough part about D5 and D6 football is that it's almost impossible to tell how good those kids really are. (I coached D5 for 4 seasons.) So it's not disrespect to Garcia but I'm still gonna go with Donelson here.

Darth Backer

TheRealJGWentworth

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 14, 2023, 11:43:00 AMYah, I think what really makes Donelson amazing is that he did it at a high level. D2 Valley and an upper state division. And when you couple that with the fact that he is a Fresno State commit it causes him to outshine the Strathmore kid. The tough part about D5 and D6 football is that it's almost impossible to tell how good those kids really are. (I coached D5 for 4 seasons.) So it's not disrespect to Garcia but I'm still gonna go with Donelson here.

I understand that, but as the OP noted this is a "regardless of division" question based solely on stats and victories. I feel as though the accolades of Garcia outweigh the accolades of Donelson here if removing the division level. I wonder if Garcia would've done even more at the D2 level with the same CVC team that surrounds Donelson.. We will never know.

These D5 and D6 kids need all the advocation they can get. Not their fault they are playing where they are as we all know.. Strathmore finally got on a kid to go play long snapper in college recently, Andres Lara, from the state championship team. He played for Eastern Washington this season.

In any case, I stand by my pick for both best season (the only 16-0 season in the Central Section) and best rb career in the central section.

TheRealJGWentworth

TeddyKGB

This topic surfaces every few years, the stats that the Starthmore kids put up are impressive no question. I have a couple questions, how tall is this kid, weight and 40 time?  Did Garcia play anywhere after high school?

Its not a knock on the D5 and 6 kids but those stats have to be graded against D5 &6 only.

TeddyKGB

Cristobal

Cristobal

RayRea

There are so many great RB's and impact players that have come from the valley.  What ever happened to that RB from Clovis High that was with Nate Johnson? I know that they didn't win any championships but he had some monster performances his senior year.
"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

RayRea

"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

izne1home

One of the best RBs in section history, any division, any time, any place:  Edwin Conway, ET.  Class of 1977.  The only guy I've seen who could load up and hit you with the same explosive power was Lorenzo Neal.  Picture Neal, a little taller and much faster.

The top USC tailback recruit.  Coach Robinson and his OC were at the 1977 All Star game.  Conway broke the rushing record half way into the 2nd quarter, when he was ejected. 

Unfortunately, he disappeared into the fog and didn't report to USC. Not clear on what happened, but this kid had the world at his fingertips. 

izne1home

Bronco

Bronco

izne1home

Quote from: Bronco on December 17, 2023, 09:22:42 PMTyler Clutts Clovis 2000 - 2002

Total stud. Conway had the same impact.  You'd go to a game just to watch him play. 

Not too many guys who can take the ball and win games all by themselves.

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Tyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 18, 2023, 12:10:39 PMTyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler

He won at least 1 title at 215 pounds!

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 19, 2023, 10:17:45 AMHe won at least 1 title at 215 pounds!

I couldn't remember if he won a state title or just placed...

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 19, 2023, 10:56:15 AMI couldn't remember if he won a state title or just placed...

He was friends with my daughter.  As I recall, he won an individual state championship and a team state championship.  Also all-state in football.   

izne1home

Bronco

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 18, 2023, 12:10:39 PMTyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler
State Champion ! ! He made me a good Football Coach. Great Football players make good Football Coaches !

Bronco

StupidJagoff

Quote from: RayRea on December 15, 2023, 09:15:23 AMThere are so many great RB's and impact players that have come from the valley.  What ever happened to that RB from Clovis High that was with Nate Johnson? I know that they didn't win any championships but he had some monster performances his senior year.
I think you're referring to Tristan Risley... not sure what happened to him. Maybe he went the JUCO route?

StupidJagoff

Bronco

anthilllegend

Bingo...Bronco! Isn't it amazing/ironic that the best coaches are usually found standing next to the best players. Some say...they would rather be lucky than good.  No way, give me the talented every time.

The Anthilllegend

anthilllegend

Darth Backer

Quote from: anthilllegend on December 28, 2023, 08:08:40 AMBingo...Bronco! Isn't it amazing/ironic that the best coaches are usually found standing next to the best players. Some say...they would rather be lucky than good.  No way, give me the talented every time.

The Anthilllegend

I think it was somewhere around year 17 or 18 in my career that we had gone through a couple of down seasons and suddenly had a surprise team that was really outstanding (12-1) after going 2-8 or 1-9 the year before. I realized that our entire coaching staff hadn't done a darn thing differently. We just had a run of talent. Not gonna lie, it kind of turned me off to coaching in some ways.

Don't get me wrong, you've got to put the work in and sustain the program and go hard every season. But your primary job is to make sure you have the systems in place when you get that once in an every 10 year run of talent.

Darth Backer

Bronco

You are right Ant - I have always said that Great players make good Coaches. I have had the opportunity to coach a lot of them. And have truly enjoyed EVERY day of doing it !

Bronco

Lancelot

Tyler Clutts started every game at QB and DE/LB played all 4 quarters.
John McKay on being interviewed about his teams execution after a bad loss. " I'm all for it"

Lancelot

John McKay on being interviewed about his teams execution after a bad loss. " I'm all for it"

BigDawg79

Add Player of the Year to Donelson's accomplishments.

Bryson Donelson named Medium School Football Player of the Year by CalhiSports.com

BigDawg79

Bronco

Tyler was named Valley player of the year by Channel 30 sports

Bronco

Pack Mentality

Best RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

Pack Mentality

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Pack Mentality on January 31, 2024, 01:47:36 PMBest RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

can you explain the reasons for this?

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: Pack Mentality on January 31, 2024, 01:47:36 PMBest RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

Both beasts.  Best in CS history...?  And as I recall, nobody was underestimating Guill at CE.  It would be interesting to put all these guys on the same field with the same conditions, the same offenses, etc. 

Under those conditions, I'm still going all in on Edwin Conway.

izne1home

Pack Mentality

Quote from: TeddyKGB on January 31, 2024, 04:04:48 PMcan you explain the reasons for this?

Ask Long Beach Poly with NFL guys how good Tracy Slocum was. 96 yard TD and not being touched until about the 25 so you're looking at 65 yards of outrunning the 9th best team in the nation. I remind you this team had DeSean Jackson on their team and he may have not been their fastest guy. He put the team on his back during their first valley championship run. I've watched valley football long enough to know the only other person who was close to him and it is really close and that's Ryan Matthews from West Bako.

As for Guill, stats aren't going to do him justice as he was the QB during Murphy's era at East, but he was probably the best athlete to come out of East and every sport he played he was very natural at it.

Pack Mentality

Darth Backer

Quote from: Pack Mentality on February 01, 2024, 10:01:31 AMAsk Long Beach Poly with NFL guys how good Tracy Slocum was. 96 yard TD and not being touched until about the 25 so you're looking at 65 yards of outrunning the 9th best team in the nation. I remind you this team had DeSean Jackson on their team and he may have not been their fastest guy. He put the team on his back during their first valley championship run. I've watched valley football long enough to know the only other person who was close to him and it is really close and that's Ryan Matthews from West Bako.

As for Guill, stats aren't going to do him justice as he was the QB during Murphy's era at East, but he was probably the best athlete to come out of East and every sport he played he was very natural at it.

Here's a stat for you. Guill had to be the all-time best blocking QB in section history for sure!

Darth Backer

izne1home

Quote from: Pack Mentality on February 01, 2024, 10:01:31 AMAs for Guill, stats aren't going to do him justice as he was the QB during Murphy's era at East, but he was probably the best athlete to come out of East and every sport he played he was very natural at it.

I'd have to agree with that.  Imagine if Guill and Tyler Clutts had a baby...

izne1home