News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

condom vending machine on campus...

Started by SCrubjay, October 16, 2014, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCrubjay

they are selling Plan B morning after contraceptives and vibrators too....  open 24/7 and they can swipe their campus debit cards to pay ...   very progressive, but it will be interesting to see how long before other campuses follow suit.

http://tsl.pomona.edu/articles/2014/9/19/news/5386-pomona-launches-wellness-room

izne1home

I've got $10 that says the vibrators go first.

Backwards K

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 16, 2014, 12:57:05 PM
they are selling Plan B morning after contraceptives and vibrators too....  open 24/7 and they can swipe their campus debit cards to pay ...   very progressive, but it will be interesting to see how long before other campuses follow suit.

http://tsl.pomona.edu/articles/2014/9/19/news/5386-pomona-launches-wellness-room

Never Work, don't understand the concept of a morning after Vibrator? Is it to shake some sense into the kids after the fact...
\\\"Four things come not back: The spoken word, The sped arrow, The past life, The neglected opportunity.\\\" Some One Wise Said It...

\\\"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.\\\"

SCrubjay

Quote from: Backwards K on October 16, 2014, 01:09:45 PM
Never Work, don't understand the concept of a morning after Vibrator? Is it to shake some sense into the kids after the fact...

two different things, but that was pretty funny....   :D

valleynative

Vibrator with the contraceptives and abortion pill?  I don't get it  :huh: :huh: :huh:

bigfan

This is not funny...it's sad that liberal thinking in our institutions is out of control/their in control!!!!
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

diesel

Quote from: bigfan on October 17, 2014, 08:44:23 AM
This is not funny...it's sad that liberal thinking in our institutions is out of control/their in control!!!!

WalMart can sell this stuff but you can't put it in a vending machine and sell it cheaper? That's what RedBox is doing, right?

Forceuser

Explain to me how the plan B is about wellness.  Is being pregnant a disease? 

I know some woman's groups see it as that.
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

SCrubjay

Quote from: diesel on October 17, 2014, 08:56:35 AM
That's what RedBox is doing, right?

coincidentally, that's what Pomona calls their vending machine too!!!  :D :D

diesel

Quote from: Forceuser on October 17, 2014, 09:01:37 AM

I know some woman's groups see it as that.

Pregnant teens is an epidemic.......not sure if it's a disease.......but there are a host of public health issues that surround teen/unwanted pregnancies.....

SCrubjay

Quote from: Forceuser on October 17, 2014, 09:01:37 AM

that's not how Plan B works.... it prevents fertilization so that there is no pregnancy.... it is NOT RU-486, which is an abortion pill...    I see selling Plan B as no worse than selling condoms..

Forceuser

Quote from: diesel on October 17, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
Pregnant teens is an epidemic.......not sure if it's a disease.......but there are a host of public health issues that surround teen/unwanted pregnancies.....

But to me, all of these programs have not worked.  These same woman could go to any clinic and get these items for free now.  Does proximity really count for that much?  Where does it stop, why not just give every woman who starts college a bottle full of these things and every male a case of condoms.  Why make them actually walk to a place on campus?

We are putting a band aid on the bullet wound.  This is more about our society not raising our kids, than about giving out free contraceptives. 

"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

valleynative

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 17, 2014, 09:08:19 AM
that's not how Plan B works.... it prevents fertilization so that there is no pregnancy.... it is NOT RU-486, which is an abortion pill...    I see selling Plan B as no worse than selling condoms..

Didn't know that...I feel dumb  :shy:

SCrubjay

Quote from: Forceuser on October 17, 2014, 09:17:19 AM
Does proximity really count for that much? 

I'm assuming that you read the article, so you must have missed this part.... 

Because Plan B decreases 15 percent in its efficacy every 12 hours subsequent to intercourse, 24/7 availability was a priority for supporters of the vending machine. As Samuels pointed out, students having sex on Friday afternoon after the 5 p.m. closing time of Student Health Services would previously have had to wait 63 hours before taking Plan B—a treatment 75 percent less effective.

so, yes, proximity and availability does matter...   Also, it is being sold at a 50% discount compared to Walmart.... Finally, Pomona does not allow freshmen to have cars on campus, so it's not as easy as you might think to just run to the pharmacy.

diesel

Quote from: Forceuser on October 17, 2014, 09:17:19 AM
We are putting a band aid on the bullet wound.  This is more about our society not raising our kids, than about giving out free contraceptives. 

Couldn't agree more on this point but even well-raised kids make mistakes.....You should read up on "Freakonomics".....he does a whole chapter on Roe v. Wade and the consequences of abortion on crime statistics in the U.S. Interesting read!!

SCrubjay

Quote from: diesel on October 17, 2014, 09:46:37 AM
You should read up on "Freakonomics".....he does a whole chapter on Roe v. Wade and the consequences of abortion on crime statistics in the U.S. Interesting read!!

You should listen to their podcast....

http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonomics-radio-podcast-archive/

that and "Planet Money" are my two staples as I walk each morning...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/127413729/podcast/

diesel

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 17, 2014, 09:59:11 AM
You should listen to their podcast....

http://freakonomics.com/radio/freakonomics-radio-podcast-archive/

that and "Planet Money" are my two staples as I walk each morning...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/127413729/podcast/

My wife and I listen to it when we travel! Cool stuff for sure!!  :u:

Just_A_Fan

Agree with Scrub and Diesel on this.....the stats on this stuff are overwhelming our society, our social programs, and our treasury. 

diesel

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 17, 2014, 10:21:11 AM
Agree with Scrub and Diesel on this.....the stats on this stuff are overwhelming our society, our social programs, and our treasury. 

If we could put birth control in the water in our schools I'd be FOR it!!  ;)

Just kidding......kind of......

valleynative

Doesn't bother me either...but why the vibrator?

valleynative