News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Technology

Started by diesel, October 18, 2016, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 26, 2016, 03:11:01 PM
See you probably could have done the math better than me, since you went to a rich-kid school.... my inner city education failed me, cause I couldn't even do my own math right....

I dropped a decimal point.. the Kelvin increase is by .278%.. BUT the Fahrenheit increase is 2.45% .... and Celsius is a 5.38% increase....  if you use a different scale, you get a different result... or as JustaFan calls it.... Manipulating the data.

I still think his point, "what is the proper temperature for the Earth?", is the real question.  We can use differing scales of measure and various percentages, but that is really nothing but number games.  Without defining the baseline for comparison of numbers, they have no contextual meaning or usefulness  for scientific application.  If the Earth's proper baseline temperature should be X and 100 years ago it was X - .8/2.45/5.38% then today we are actually improving from then vs if X was the baseline at the temperature 100 years ago and today we are + .8/2.45/5.38% then we are getting worse.

laidback

The earth is gonna do what the earth is gonna do. There is nothing the human race can do to change that. Those that survive the change, will survive. those that can't, will die. Survival of the fittest & all of that other stuff the doomsayers have been saying all these years, although it will not be a catastrophic event like they want us to believe, it will be a long, slow hundreds of years trip. The earth has been changing for millions of years, it's stupid to think humans have been the cause of the current "global warming crisis". S**t happens when you get old, regardless of whether you are the earth or a human.
LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR

SCrubjay

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on October 27, 2016, 04:28:47 AM
... Without defining the baseline for comparison of numbers, they have no contextual meaning or usefulness  for scientific application.  ..

Let's bring Laidback's comments into this for context.... for millions of years the Earth, a Closed Biological System, kept everything in pretty much equilibrium...  Storms, floods, drought, famine, fires, hurricanes, disease, wild animals, etc. kept the human population pretty much in check.... from the time of Christ to the signing of the Declaration of Independence the Earth's population tripled from about 300 million to 900 million... in the next 100 years we added as many people on the globe as the prior 1800 years.... that takes us approximately to 1900 or pretty close to the 1880 date noted..... at that point we are at 1.65 Billion.. and now, in just 116 years we have added 5.6 Billion to total 7.2 Billion... 

Along with that, we have industrialization like never seen on the planet... plus all those people create a whole bunch of carbon dioxide and methane.... while we continue to deforest large parts of the world ...

Now... I have no idea if all of us are causing Global Warming or if it part of the natural cycle... BUT if it has to be the Scare Tactic to get us all to WAKE THE F(_)CK UP and take care of the only planet we have... then I am fine with that... 

because if not, Laidback will definitely be proven right and the Earth will heal herself and humans will be reduced back to populations She can support.... good times acomin' .... I just want Charlize Therone on my side...

laidback

And none of what you mentioned above can be compared to the toxic crap that all the volcanoes world wide spit into our atmosphere millions of years ago, and yet here we are, mushing along thinking we humans are going to destroy/save the earth. Ain't a gonna happen. Humans may be gone, but old mother earth is gonna just be gettin on down the road. She may be wearing a different outfit, but she will still be here looking for someone else to dance with.
LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR

SCrubjay

Quote from: laidback on October 27, 2016, 02:15:06 PM
..... Humans may be gone, but old mother earth is gonna just be gettin on down the road....

Absolutely agree....

.... and yet here we are, mushing along thinking we humans are going to destroy/save the earth. ..

We shouldn't confuse "saving the earth" with being good stewards to the only planet we have and prolonging our ability to inhabit this rock as a viable species... I believe THAT is completely within our control.

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 27, 2016, 09:17:46 AM
Let's bring Laidback's comments into this for context.... for millions of years the Earth, a Closed Biological System, kept everything in pretty much equilibrium...  Storms, floods, drought, famine, fires, hurricanes, disease, wild animals, etc. kept the human population pretty much in check.... from the time of Christ to the signing of the Declaration of Independence the Earth's population tripled from about 300 million to 900 million... in the next 100 years we added as many people on the globe as the prior 1800 years.... that takes us approximately to 1900 or pretty close to the 1880 date noted..... at that point we are at 1.65 Billion.. and now, in just 116 years we have added 5.6 Billion to total 7.2 Billion... 

Along with that, we have industrialization like never seen on the planet... plus all those people create a whole bunch of carbon dioxide and methane.... while we continue to deforest large parts of the world ...

Now... I have no idea if all of us are causing Global Warming or if it part of the natural cycle... BUT if it has to be the Scare Tactic to get us all to WAKE THE F(_)CK UP and take care of the only planet we have... then I am fine with that... 

because if not, Laidback will definitely be proven right and the Earth will heal herself and humans will be reduced back to populations She can support.... good times acomin' .... I just want Charlize Therone on my side...

Don't disagree with any of the above....good stewards is exactly what we should be.....and Laidback is probably spot on in his assessment.  If we lived on a planet with informed, broadminded, forward thinking people we'd be fine.  The reality, however, is the exact opposite.  The threat to this planet is not in the area of global warming, actually a generally warmer plant would be beneficial to us, it's in some of the other things you mentioned, especially in the area of over-population.  Not to sound like a fatalist, but Laidback is correct that the planet will equal itself out over time.  That may be our species either dying out or tremendously being reduced in size (natural or though our own hands), or we may discover how to exit this rock and move beyond our solar system (what we should be collectively working on).  The scare tactics though have zero impact on the sum of the gross issues and are simply allowing those who wish to capitalize on pseudo-science, politics, and ignorance to engineer money grabs. 

Just_A_Fan

And none of what you mentioned above can be compared to the toxic crap that all the volcanoes world wide spit into our atmosphere millions of years ago, and yet here we are, mushing along thinking we humans are going to destroy/save the earth. Ain't a gonna happen. Humans may be gone, but old mother earth is gonna just be gettin on down the road. She may be wearing a different outfit, but she will still be here looking for someone else to dance with.

Pretty much....(thumbs up sign goes here)

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on October 27, 2016, 02:44:14 PM

We shouldn't confuse "saving the earth" with being good stewards to the only planet we have and prolonging our ability to inhabit this rock as a viable species... I believe THAT is completely within our control.

Scrubs, you are being idealistic now :)  :) :)

Know this will ruffle some feathers, oh well, but so long as religion that espouses "go forth and multiply to the point of insanity" running alongside PC public policies that remove fiscal constraints from people doing just that exist on this planet, there is no way we will ever have the control necessary to reign in much of what would be needed. 

Just_A_Fan