News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Cliff Harris

Started by fsudawgs, October 24, 2011, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsudawgs

From the Register Guard in Eugene:
Oregon cornerback Cliff Harris, who missed the Ducks' season-opening loss to LSU while suspended followed an offseason traffic stop, found more trouble behind the wheel Monday.

Harris was cited by Eugene Police for driving with a suspended license, driving while uninsured and failure to wear a seatbelt. Harris was pulled over after being seen driving without a seatbelt by an officer assigned to traffic duty at the intersection of Hilyard Street and East Broadway near campus, according to an EPD spokeswoman.

Officers impounded the car Harris was driving, a gray convertible Ford Mustang.

Not good.......

Soaring Eagle

Wow, sad!!  either did not learn after the first time, or believes he is above the law...  either way, sad, sad, sad!!    :cry:
One needs very good eyes if you are going to soar high above your prey!

Threads Hijacked to Date:   2    (Verify with the master of tread hijacking IZ, if you don't believe me!)

CWClassof2007

Cop must have been a Oregon State fan.

JakeBaseball

That just happened

bigfan

You can teach that kid but not much  :shock:
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Chambers1

Why does this type of thing happen at Oregon consistently?

bigfan

In a statement released by the school, Ducks coach Chip Kelly announced the suspension of Harris pending further review. Harris will not be able to take part in any football-related activities.

Well now he has more time to study  :shock:
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Chambers1 on October 25, 2011, 11:18:06 AM
Why does this type of thing happen at Oregon consistently?
Players see how the school has let other get away with breaking team rules & the law, so they think they could get away with it as well.

kevryan

A new article in today's Eugene newspaper:

http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/27079728-41/harris-oregon-practice-family-traffic.html.csp

The elder Harris said the family has paperwork showing that the suspension was to be lifted in Oregon after a 60-day period, which has passed. Harris' father also said the family can produce proof of insurance for the car Harris was driving Monday.

The family is seeking legal advice in hopes of addressing the charges of driving with a suspended license and driving uninsured.

"We'll see how it plays out from there," Harris' father said.

coach fred

He Is throwing away Millions!!!!!! MAN....

The Eye in the Sky

Quote from: coach fred on October 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM
No he's not, the Raiders will trade their 2014 and 2015 1st round picks to take him  ;) GHF
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

flexmac3

Quote from: kevryan on October 26, 2011, 10:11:37 AM

http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/27079728-41/harris-oregon-practice-family-traffic.html.csp

The elder Harris said the family has paperwork showing that the suspension was to be lifted in Oregon after a 60-day period, which has passed. Harris' father also said the family can produce proof of insurance for the car Harris was driving Monday.

The family is seeking legal advice in hopes of addressing the charges of driving with a suspended license and driving uninsured.

Man, I would have had all those papesr with me, if that was the case, he has to know he is on a short leash.

OriginalCVFan

I have read, and re-read the statement above, and am still sitting here scratching my head in disbelief.  These people CANNOT, in ANYWAY shape or form, actually BELIEVE this stuff, can they?

1.  Mr. Cliff Harris had MULTIPLE, not one, but MULTIPLE driving under suspended license charges and guilty judgements against him.  Does Mr. Harris have paperwork saying that ONE of the driving under suspension suspensions was being lifted, or did he have paperwork stating that ALL of them had and were being lifted.  It wasnt ONE offense, it was MULTIPLE. 
2.  Just because you THINK your license suspension is being lifted, and lets say you DO have paperwork supporting this claim.   YOU STILL NEED TO GO DOWN TO THE DMV(in OREGON, OR CA, or ANYWHERE) and actually OBTAIN SAID LICENSE.   DUH, consult all the lawyers in the world, just because you THOUGHT you were ok, doesnt mean you WERE ok.  Even NON ENGLISH SPEAKING VISITORS/NON-CITIZENS  from our SOUTHERN NEIGHBOR know this part of the law.  Give me a break.  Hence if you DRIVE a car, without the actual license in your hand, IT IS ANOTHER MISDEMEANOR CRIME.  Period, end of story.   This now makes 4(or was it 5) now, and that does NOT include the 118 mph charge or the open container charge or the 'we smoked all the dope earlier officer" non-charge.
3.  This is a very important point.  OREGON CANNOT and WOULD NOT EVER issue a VALID LICENSE unless all of the charges from the several driving under suspension charges were paid for and completed in CALIFORNIA as well.  Just because ONE LETTER MAY OR MAY NOT have said 60 days is over, the previous several in Oregon had to be taken care of(which we read they were by a relative) and also THEN all the ones had to be taken care of in CA as well.  One cannot get a valid license in one state, when under suspension in another state.  Its been that way for a hundred years, and actually started being enforced in 1995, when all the state DMV computers were linked together to facilitate the 'DEADBEAT DAD" legislations that were passed through congress.
4.  Proof of Insurance - ? ? ? ? ?    Can someone help me out with this one.  Just because someone has proof of insurance for a 'car' does not mean one has insurance as a DRIVER?       One must have BOTH.  No insurance company in the world will give "VALID" insurance to a driver with a suspended license.  Proof of insurance means the DRIVER must have insurance, not the CAR.   If I am incorrect on this one, please someone point it out to me, but if I insure my car, and let any idiot drive it, then I AM LIABLE for anything that happens IN THAT CAR, and the insurance company ISNT.  It makes the 'car' insurance null and void. 

Good Grief, they gave Steve Howe 7, i repeat 7, chances to clean up his act in MLB and he still blew them all.  How many times does one person need to continually do illegal things, time and time again, and keep being given chance after chance after chance, until someone actually does something to wake the kid up?  This is insane. 
]

izne1home

Not having proof of insurance is usually just a fix-it ticket.  If they submit proof of insurance within so many days, the fine is usually waived.  You get ticketed not because you don't have insurance - it's because you don't have PROOF of insurance in the car.  They are not looking for proof that the driver is insured, but proof that the car is insured. 

These policies usually covers the car and the driver.   For example, if you loan your car to someone and they get in a wreck, your policy will typically remain in effect on your car (that's not to say that your carrier wont try to drag your friend's carrier in on the action...).  If someone steals your car and wrecks it, your carrier will pay.  If you rent a car and waive the coverage, your carrier will cover you while in that rental. 

On the suspended license thing, the only thing the cops in the field have is computer access to the DMV records, and whatever those records say.  I had a client who took his son into traffic court, and the judge agreed to lift the suspension on his kid's license.  The kid had a copy of the court order in his car.  He got pulled over the next day (on a Saturday) for not using his blinker.  They ran his license and it came back suspended.  The court's paperwork was still being processed and the DMV records had not been updated.  The kid, and his father who raced over to the scene, explained the situation to the office and his superior.  They both apologized, but said if the DMV records say suspended, it's suspended.  A signed court order dated 24 hours earlier was not their concern.  Car got towed. 

If the California or Oregon DMV database showed the license as suspended, then for all intents and purposes, it is suspended.

All Mr. Harris can hope for is that OSU buys the 60-day letter story and decides to have mercy.  It's doubtful the DMV will. 

Ken Kaniff

Quote from: OriginalCVFan on October 27, 2011, 10:27:46 AM
I have read, and re-read the statement above, and am still sitting here scratching my head in disbelief.  These people CANNOT, in ANYWAY shape or form, actually BELIEVE this stuff, can they?

1.  Mr. Cliff Harris had MULTIPLE, not one, but MULTIPLE driving under suspended license charges and guilty judgements against him.  Does Mr. Harris have paperwork saying that ONE of the driving under suspension suspensions was being lifted, or did he have paperwork stating that ALL of them had and were being lifted.  It wasnt ONE offense, it was MULTIPLE. 
2.  Just because you THINK your license suspension is being lifted, and lets say you DO have paperwork supporting this claim.   YOU STILL NEED TO GO DOWN TO THE DMV(in OREGON, OR CA, or ANYWHERE) and actually OBTAIN SAID LICENSE.   DUH, consult all the lawyers in the world, just because you THOUGHT you were ok, doesnt mean you WERE ok.  Even NON ENGLISH SPEAKING VISITORS/NON-CITIZENS  from our SOUTHERN NEIGHBOR know this part of the law.  Give me a break.  Hence if you DRIVE a car, without the actual license in your hand, IT IS ANOTHER MISDEMEANOR CRIME.  Period, end of story.   This now makes 4(or was it 5) now, and that does NOT include the 118 mph charge or the open container charge or the 'we smoked all the dope earlier officer" non-charge.
3.  This is a very important point.  OREGON CANNOT and WOULD NOT EVER issue a VALID LICENSE unless all of the charges from the several driving under suspension charges were paid for and completed in CALIFORNIA as well.  Just because ONE LETTER MAY OR MAY NOT have said 60 days is over, the previous several in Oregon had to be taken care of(which we read they were by a relative) and also THEN all the ones had to be taken care of in CA as well.  One cannot get a valid license in one state, when under suspension in another state.  Its been that way for a hundred years, and actually started being enforced in 1995, when all the state DMV computers were linked together to facilitate the 'DEADBEAT DAD" legislations that were passed through congress.
4.  Proof of Insurance - ? ? ? ? ?    Can someone help me out with this one.  Just because someone has proof of insurance for a 'car' does not mean one has insurance as a DRIVER?       One must have BOTH.  No insurance company in the world will give "VALID" insurance to a driver with a suspended license.  Proof of insurance means the DRIVER must have insurance, not the CAR.   If I am incorrect on this one, please someone point it out to me, but if I insure my car, and let any idiot drive it, then I AM LIABLE for anything that happens IN THAT CAR, and the insurance company ISNT.  It makes the 'car' insurance null and void. 

Good Grief, they gave Steve Howe 7, i repeat 7, chances to clean up his act in MLB and he still blew them all.  How many times does one person need to continually do illegal things, time and time again, and keep being given chance after chance after chance, until someone actually does something to wake the kid up?  This is insane. 

couple things....you actually do not have to be an insured driver....the vehicle has to be insured...if u get into an accident then you need to be covered as the driver but not when pulled over...just need to show the proof car is insured

and you can be valid driver in one state and suspended in another and not knowing...i was in that situation....my ca license was suspended for tickets i never got someone found my license and used it...i had been gone from ca for 7 years and had another state license...then got pulled over and was told i had suspended license...however in the 6 previous years and several police contacts and dmv inquiries never came up...so it can be a mix up

RoadDawg

Whether the latest suspension was lifted or not does not matter, Harris is still legally considered unlicensed until he goes to the CA DMV, clears his violations and gets a valid license. 

Quote from: coach fred on October 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM

No doubt, and it is very sad... his NFL stock has plummeted...

Quote from: izne1home on October 27, 2011, 12:27:08 PM
  You get ticketed not because you don't have insurance - it's because you don't have PROOF of insurance in the car.  They are not looking for proof that the driver is insured, but proof that the car is insured. 

On the suspended license thing, the only thing the cops in the field have is computer access to the DMV records, and whatever those records say...
If the California or Oregon DMV database showed the license as suspended, then for all intents and purposes, it is suspended.

I do not know Oregon law, but you are accurate based on California law.  It is a violation to not have proof of insurance in your vehicle, however it is generally dismissed if you can prove to the court the vehicle was in fact insured at the time of the citation.  As for the suspension, during a traffic stop officers do in fact go strictly by the DMV records.

Quote from: Ken Kaniff on October 27, 2011, 01:46:13 PM
..and you can be valid driver in one state and suspended in another and not knowing...

Generally speaking, this is not supposed to happen.  A person's license should be based on where they have permanent residence.  Out of state college students generally do not obtain residence status, thus do not obtain a license from state where they are attending school.  Nonetheless, each state holds their own status over another's ... meaning if youre suspended in CA, an out of state license does not supersede the fact your status to drive in CA is suspended. 

The short of it... Cliff Harris has no defense to his latest actions, and simply should not be driving any car in any state.  He is wasting God given ability that could provide for his family financially for years to come, it's all very sad!     
"The older I get... The better I was!"

izne1home

Quote from: RoadDawg on October 27, 2011, 04:07:50 PM
The short of it... Cliff Harris has no defense to his latest actions, and simply should not be driving any car in any state.  He is wasting God given ability that could provide for his family financially for years to come, it's all very sad!     

Agree.  I hope young Harris gets some of this petty nonsense out of his system - quick.  It's his future, and his call.

OriginalCVFan

Quote from: Ken Kaniff on October 27, 2011, 01:46:13 PM
couple things....you actually do not have to be an insured driver....the vehicle has to be insured...if u get into an accident then you need to be covered as the driver but not when pulled over...just need to show the proof car is insured

and you can be valid driver in one state and suspended in another and not knowing...i was in that situation....my ca license was suspended for tickets i never got someone found my license and used it...i had been gone from ca for 7 years and had another state license...then got pulled over and was told i had suspended license...however in the 6 previous years and several police contacts and dmv inquiries never came up...so it can be a mix up

Item in red above:

This happened to me across 3 different states and moves, and much misunderstanding, but was prior to 1995/1996.  Prior to that, the mixups were commonplace, but still, depending on the courts, was NOT excuseable because it was and is the DRIVERS responsibility to stay current and knowledgeable to their own situation(ignorance is not a defense scenario)  I can show you the lawyer and court bills to prove it(sigh)  However, after 1995/96, when the DEADBEAT DAD FEDERAL LAW was put into place, one action that occurred within a few months was that EVERY STATES DMV COMPUTER SYSTEMS were all LINKED and ACCESSIBLE TO ALL.   Its  been 15 years since the 'non knowing' scenario was actually taking place. 
]

OriginalCVFan

Quote from: RoadDawg on October 27, 2011, 04:07:50 PM

Generally speaking, this is not supposed to happen.  A person's license should be based on where they have permanent residence.  Out of state college students generally do not obtain residence status, thus do not obtain a license from state where they are attending school.  Nonetheless, each state holds their own status over another's ... meaning if youre suspended in CA, an out of state license does not supersede the fact your status to drive in CA is suspended. 

Actually its even more detailed than this.  Since the STATES computers are all linked NATIONALLY and FEDERALLY now, by FEDERAL LAW.  The only way somone can obtain a license say, in OREGON for example, if your license in CA is suspended, is if you FILE WRONG AND IMPROPER PAPERWORK.   It is not possible, UNLESS YOU FILE WRONG AND IMPROPER PAPERWORK.  If one knowingly, OR UNKNOWINGLY does this, the law does not CARE if you did it knowingly or unknowingly and, again, if you did this, YOU HAVE ACTUALLY BROKEN FEDERAL LAW NOW, which is punishable by MUCH MORE THAN A SLAP ON THE WRIST.

Since it is VERY PUBLIC INFORMATION that Mr. Harris did NOT have a valid CA license, (which we know is true because it was published that he hadnt paid all his fines in CA prior to the 118 MPH fiasco) and somehow he obtained an OREGON license during this time(which then became suspended SEVERAL TIMES AS WELL) then unless you can provide proof that the NATIONAL COMPUTER NETWORK CRASHED and DIDNT WORK, then there also seems to be the very DISTINCT POSSIBILITY that Mr. Harris has actually committed a Federal Crime somewhere along the way. 

Am I exaggerating this possiblility?  NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST.  Am I making this stuff up?  NOT AT ALL.   Mr. Harris CONTINUING IGNORING of his RESPONSIBILITIES as a functoning member of society could very well cost him his future. 

Travesty of Ignorance of epic proportions. 
]

izne1home

I think his Oregon license was issued by Nike, which preempts Oregon law.  Does that make a difference?

izne1home