News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Buchanan

Started by Backstop, February 19, 2024, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tru guru

Quote from: tru guru link=msg=452385

I will continue to theorize that Buchanan is struggling now that they aren't the "destination school" for Valley transfers.
/quote]

I'm cool with transfers.  However, if you live by the sword, perhaps you will also die by the sword......

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Governor on February 26, 2024, 07:55:25 PMNever been a fan of transfers. Usually teams will take players away from East High. Very unfair!

Clovis East, ironically, had a lot of success on the gridiron this year with SEVERAL transfers.

BallGuy

As someone not affiliated with a team, high school sports is becoming a bit like college. Don't really know who is on the team until the first pitch. For years Buchanan was the destination, seems like it's shifting towards Clovis. Who knows, parents are doing what they feel is right by their kid. My .02, I just want parents to be educated enough to not fall for the snake oil salesmen that rummage high school dugouts. Travel ball has changed a lot of high school sports in general, not many coaches truly recruit, it's mostly the kids following their friends, or the kids going to a school with a reputation. Which is why I took things personally when I see an actual coach reach out to kids.

tru guru

Quote from: Timmy Winn on February 27, 2024, 08:41:29 AMClovis East, ironically, had a lot of success on the gridiron this year with SEVERAL transfers.

They have a fine recruiting class coming in next year as well.....

CWClassof2007

I'm fine with transfers. It's when coaches or family of coaches are recruiting players from other schools. We know it happened with Buchanan baseball. It happened with Central football a lot during their long run. Clovis West girl's basketball does it too.

BallGuy

Yup...your second baseman last year also had texts from CW staff members while enrolled his freshman year at Central. No one is "clean", and also, a lot of staff members are coaches on travel teams, and it's not like they start every text with, "I'm texting you as your travel ball team coach, but I think the school that I coach at will really like you".

Governor

I told you all to just be patient with Buchanan High. They are just getting started.

Blowout win today on the road

CWClassof2007

Quote from: BallGuy on February 27, 2024, 08:53:35 PMYup...your second baseman last year also had texts from CW staff members while enrolled his freshman year at Central. No one is "clean", and also, a lot of staff members are coaches on travel teams, and it's not like they start every text with, "I'm texting you as your travel ball team coach, but I think the school that I coach at will really like you".
Yep. I hate that too.

tru guru

Quote from: Governor on February 27, 2024, 11:07:48 PMI told you all to just be patient with Buchanan High. They are just getting started.

Blowout win today on the road

Man, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Out of curiosity,does anyone think Buchanan would celebrate a D2 title?  I mean, a VC in a new coaches first year is quite an accomplishment, right?  Do they hang a D-2 banner up there with the two Natty's and all the D-1 titles?  I'm gonna go with "No".

Governor

Quote from: tru guru on February 28, 2024, 03:30:13 PMMan, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Out of curiosity,does anyone think Buchanan would celebrate a D2 title?  I mean, a VC in a new coaches first year is quite an accomplishment, right?  Do they hang a D-2 banner up there with the two Natty's and all the D-1 titles?  I'm gonna go with "No".

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Give credit to Buchanan High.

HS Harry

Quote from: tru guru on February 28, 2024, 03:30:13 PMMan, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Clovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.  Could be deceiving, being a D1 school, some may assume it was a D1 title.
Chazz Michael Michaels IS figure skating

tru guru

Quote from: Governor on February 28, 2024, 09:41:47 PMSounds like sour grapes to me.

Give credit to Buchanan High.

Not sour at all.  Just don't think you can tell much from this win.  Win the next two, assuming Madera throws the FSU commit, and I might start to believe.....

Cristobal

Quote from: HS Harry on February 29, 2024, 08:43:40 AMClovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.

Beautiful

knightsrule04

Quote from: HS Harry on February 29, 2024, 08:43:40 AMClovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.  Could be deceiving, being a D1 school, some may assume it was a D1 title.
Clovis doing Clovis things again...
BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

tru guru

Tough loss for Buchanan today.  Bears showed some guts coming back in the 7th.  Ultimately though they are 2-5, 0 for Bakersfield and 0-4 vs D-1 teams.  Sure, they've only played 7 games, but that is 20 percent of the season.  If they're not pushing the panic button yet, they are definitely holding their hand over it.

Closer

According to Max Preps Buchanan has the most difficult strength of schedule in the CIF central section at 11.2 and Clovis at 6.2, CE at 5.7, CW at a whopping-4.5( yes negative) and CN at 2.2 . They are starting some pretty young players so this schedule should help them be better prepared for TRAC play after the Easter Classic.

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Closer on March 06, 2024, 01:32:35 PMAccording to Max Preps Buchanan has the most difficult strength of schedule in the CIF central section at 11.2 and Clovis at 6.2, CE at 5.7, CW at a whopping-4.5( yes negative) and CN at 2.2 . They are starting some pretty young players so this schedule should help them be better prepared for TRAC play after the Easter Classic.

No doubt they've got a tough schedule. TRAC play is going to be so good this year. Clovis High still looks best on paper to me, but after that it is a crapshoot. I could see CN/CE/CW competing for 2nd. I don't know what to think of central and I believe that Buchanan is headed towards the bottom of the TRAC. Buchanan has had a rough year for boys sports (unless you're a wrestler...shout out Rocklin Zinkin state champ) football was embarrassing, basketball finished 4th in league and baseball looks like it's having a hard time getting going on the heels of a new BIG hire. Meanwhile CN's boys basketball and football made it to State playoffs and baseball has come around. Is the powerbalance in north Fresno/clovis boys sports shifting from Buchanan to CN?

HS Harry

When it is all said and done, I imagine that Buchanan will still have a pretty good year.  More losses than normal, but find a way to compete in the end.  I just hope that their New Big Hire has a little more respect for Central Section Baseball and what the high school coaches around here do.  And unless he wants more players looking for greener pastures, I would suggest they start winning soon and he not turn a cold shoulder to the players (alumni) that helped give that program state & national recognition.

Timmy Winn

Quote from: HS Harry on March 06, 2024, 02:33:44 PMWhen it is all said and done, I imagine that Buchanan will still have a pretty good year.  More losses than normal, but find a way to compete in the end.  I just hope that their New Big Hire has a little more respect for Central Section Baseball and what the high school coaches around here do.  And unless he wants more players looking for greener pastures, I would suggest they start winning soon and he not turn a cold shoulder to the players (alumni) that helped give that program state & national recognition.

We will see what happens when we get into TRAC play. But at 2-5 now, with 7/8 games before league play starts and two of those games being tough road games it'll be tough to get to .500. Right now they don't look like a .500 team in TRAC play. They might not get to 15 wins this year. Does anyone know the lowest win total in school history? I'd imagine that would set it.

HS Harry

Quote from: Timmy Winn on March 06, 2024, 04:06:28 PMWe will see what happens when we get into TRAC play. But at 2-5 now, with 7/8 games before league play starts and two of those games being tough road games it'll be tough to get to .500. Right now they don't look like a .500 team in TRAC play. They might not get to 15 wins this year. Does anyone know the lowest win total in school history? I'd imagine that would set it.
Maxpreps' records go all the way back to 2005, in that time the Bears have never had a losing record and many impressive seasons along the way. Not sure what happened between 1993 and 2005, but these were the 3 "worst" records since '05:
2012: 19-14
2008: 17-13-1
2007: 17-12

HS Harry