News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

MLB Draft

Started by gman, June 05, 2014, 09:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman

So we've had two local kids drafted in the first round.  iIm really surprised that Ortiz went before Gatewood and that Gatewood dropped that far.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: gman on June 05, 2014, 09:14:46 PM
So we've had two local kids drafted in the first round.  iIm really surprised that Ortiz went before Gatewood and that Gatewood dropped that far.
Technically Gatewood was drafted in the competitive balance round. Which is in between the 1st & 2nd round. Still a high pick though! Jordan Luplow(Buchanan/Fresno State) was drafted 100th overall by the Pirates. Derrick Velasquez(Los Banos/Merced College/Fresno State) was drafted 196th overall by the Astros. Max Schuh(Edison/UCLA) was picked 211th overall by the Orioles. All three are juniors & can come back to for their senior years & be drafted again next year. Jordan Brink(Central/Fresno State) should be drafted sometime today. He's only a junior. JD Salles(Clovis West/Fresno State/Fresno Pacific) could end up being drafted. He has no college eligibility left. Trenton Kemp(Buchanan) could be drafted as well. He's committed to Fresno State. The longer he has to wait the better the odds of him not signing & becoming a Bulldog. Fresno State has already had two of their commits drafted Luis Ortiz is one & I'd be shocked if he ever throws a pitch at Beiden Field. Luke Dykstra from Westlake High was the other one. He is the son of Lenny.

gman

Ortiz and Luplow will sign for sure, I'm a little surprised that Kemp is still on the board.

CWClassof2007

Stetson Woods a RHP from Liberty-Madera Ranchos was picked by the Giants in the 9th round with the 268th overall pick. He's listed from 6'7" to 6'9" & weighing at 190 to 210 depending on where you look at.
'

CWClassof2007

A bunch of local guys have been picked today. Jordan Brink(Central/Fresno State) goes to the Cubs in the 11th round. Chris Mariscal(Clovis North/Fresno State) goes to the Mariners in the 14th. Trenton Kemp(Buchanan/Fresno State commit) goes in the 15th. Garret Mundell(Fresno State) goes to the Diamondbacks in the 18th round. Trent Woodward(Fresno State) goes to the Astros in the 20th round. McCarthy Tatum(Clovis) goes to the Twins in the 20th round. Eric Karch(Clovis West/Pepperdine) goes to the Pirates in the 22nd round. Josh Banuelos(Hanford/FPU) goes to the Royals in the 28th round. The stupid Padres picked Johnny Manziel in the 28th round today. I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't know so many guys who just want a chance to play at the next level who won't get picked today.

gman

I agree, why choose Johnny Manziel when there is some kid who has worked his a** off for 16 years to get a chance to go to the pros waiting to get his shot.

domingoayala

Trenton Kemp signs with Red Sox as a 15th rounder. I was looking forward to watching him play in college. Thought he'd surely be able to get drafted higher out of State. Maybe injury concerns prompted him to sign now? Either way, congrats to him and all out other local signees!

CWClassof2007

It's hard not to pass up the opportunity when you go in the first half of the draft. A lot can happen in the three years until he's eligible to be drafted again. Fresno State took a serious hit with this draft. They lost four signees & 6 junior in the draft. I think most of them are signing too.

3rd base coach

who are the 6 iuniors?

CWClassof2007

Brink, Luplow, Mariscal, Velasquez & Woodward all signed. Mundell didn't sign with Arizona & he's playing in the Cape Cod League this summer.

CWClassof2007

I know this is about this years draft but I didn't want to start a new topic. Former Centennial & Fresno State outfielder Dusty Robinson was released by the A's today. He was playing for the Stockton Ports in High Class A. He was hitting .230 with 8 home runs. I'm wondering if the 68 strikeouts compared to the 24 walks has anything to do with it.

CWClassof2007