News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

WAY TOO EARLY Divisional Rankings.

Started by Coach Gutierrez, May 16, 2017, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Gutierrez

*Note; these aren't my rankings and calpreps.com hasn't completed their process, but here's today's rankings.

Division VI: 1. Strathmore, 2. Sierra Pacific, 3. Kennedy, 4. Riverdale, 5. Orosi.

Division V: 1. Mendota, 2. Firebaugh, 3. Dos Palos, 4. Desert. 5. Sierra.

Division IV: 1. Selma, 2. Golden West, 3. Chowchilla, 4. CVC, 5. Chavez.

Division III: 1. BCHS, 2. Tulare Western, 3. Hanford, 4. Memorial, 5. Tehachapi.

Division II: 1. Tulare Union, 2. Sanger, 3. Ridgeview, 4. Garces, 5. Sunnyside.

Division I: 1. Bakersfield, 2. Clovis West, 3. Central, 4. Liberty, 5. Edison.

PitPride65

Quote from: Coach Gutierrez on May 16, 2017, 08:52:34 AM
*Note; these aren't my rankings and calpreps.com hasn't completed their process, but here's today's rankings.

Division VI: 1. Strathmore, 2. Sierra Pacific, 3. Kennedy, 4. Riverdale, 5. Orosi.

Division V: 1. Mendota, 2. Firebaugh, 3. Dos Palos, 4. Desert. 5. Sierra.

Division IV: 1. Selma, 2. Golden West, 3. Chowchilla, 4. CVC, 5. Chavez.

Division III: 1. BCHS, 2. Tulare Western, 3. Hanford, 4. Memorial, 5. Tehachapi.

Division II: 1. Tulare Union, 2. Sanger, 3. Ridgeview, 4. Garces, 5. Sunnyside.

Division I: 1. Bakersfield, 2. Clovis West, 3. Central, 4. Liberty, 5. Edison.

These can't be anybody's rankings. There are too many mistakes in divisional placement. Sanger is D-I, Hanford is D-II, Chowchilla is D-III, etc.
I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.  ~Jack Tatum

CWClassof2007

If Adrian Martinez misses 4 or 5 games like I've heard he might then Clovis West should be lower.

CWClassof2007

D
Quote from: PitPride65 on May 16, 2017, 09:33:02 AM
These can't be anybody's rankings. There are too many mistakes in divisional placement. Sanger is D-I, Hanford is D-II, Chowchilla is D-III, etc.
Give the guy a break it's to hard to keep up with all the moves between divisions.

TeddyKGB

It seems like every year Edison and Central are ranked high because of the athletes that they have but when they seem to under perform. I've said this before, I was not impressed with the Central coaching/game management in the VC game. Starting the Drillers at 1 makes sense but the rest is still too early.

Coach Gutierrez

Quote from: PitPride65 on May 16, 2017, 09:33:02 AM

Read the title and note bud, but if you don't think so you could check calpreps yourself.

ThetruthBeTold

I'm making my prediction right now in regards to D-2 and D-4

Tulare will roll through the season and win it all.

Selma will repeat as champs. 

Darth Backer

If read correctly, this is what calpreps.com has right now:

D1
BHS
CW
Central
Liberty
Edison

D2
Tulare Union
Garces
Hanford
Sunnyside
Lemoore

D3
BCHS
TW
SJM
Tehachapi
Kingsburg

D4
Selma
GW
Chowchilla
CVC
Chavez

eylchamps

Quote from: Darth Backer on May 16, 2017, 11:06:11 AM
If read correctly, this is what calpreps.com has right now:

D1
BHS
CW
Central
Liberty
Edison

D2
Tulare Union
Garces
Hanford
Sunnyside
Lemoore

D3
BCHS
TW
SJM
Tehachapi
Kingsburg

D4
Selma
GW
Chowcilla
CVC
Chavez

what happened to D5 and 6?
WYL wishes they were the EYL

PitPride65

Quote from: Coach Gutierrez on May 16, 2017, 10:05:34 AM
Read the title and note bud, but if you don't think so you could check calpreps yourself.

I read it again, the rankings didn't make sense. It wasn't a shot at you, but it tells everybody the computers running calpreps aren't up to date.
I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault.  ~Jack Tatum

Sixtynine

1. Bakersfield 2. Central 3. Liberty 4. Clovis West (we'll see what happens with Adrian Martinez) 5. Buchanan (if they find average QB play. The skill guys they have transferring in are really good players)
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Darth Backer

Quote from: eylchamps on May 16, 2017, 12:34:52 PM
what happened to D5 and 6?

I don't have that much time on my hands...

tbone77

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 16, 2017, 09:55:58 AM
It seems like every year Edison and Central are ranked high because of the athletes that they have but when they seem to under perform. I've said this before, I was not impressed with the Central coaching/game management in the VC game. Starting the Drillers at 1 makes sense but the rest is still too early.
It appears to me that last year Edison Overperformed by getting to the quarterfinals coming up short by only 3 yards at Central without while using three different QBs. Central did ok making it to the VC game. Edison has good "Athletes" that play hard just like many other teams in the Valley (Even Clovis teams have good "Athletes"). They won't go too far without a QB of course but Central has a excellent QB and have the chance to be very good.

tru guru

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 16, 2017, 02:23:30 PM

1. Bakersfield 2. Central 3. Liberty 4. Clovis West (we'll see what happens with Adrian Martinez) 5. Buchanan (if they find average QB play. The skill guys they have transferring in are really good players)

I believe one of those Buchanan transfers was slated to be the starting QB this season at his previous school.  Completely different offensive scheme, but I assume he is at least competent throwing the ball.

TeddyKGB

I'm not so sure Edison I'd say that Edison "over performed", they beat Stockdale (#9 seed) at home in the 1st round of the playoffs. I would suggest that maybe Central "did ok making it to the Valley Championship game' is not quite accurate, Central was the #1 seed, they faced Edison #8 seed and CW #4 seed whom they had beat earlier that year 49-28. I never said nor implied that Edison's kids don't play hard, but for the amount of speed and talent they have as with Central they underachieve more than they don't. 

Jazz

I think Jaylon Johnson having the surgery before the playoffs began affected Central. Look at the CW score before and after.  Think about the confidence the D had knowing he was back there.  Also the other teams offense had to account for him.  He was replaced by a soph, who did a good job, but it wasn't a 4* going to Utah.

tbone77

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 17, 2017, 12:13:36 PM
I'm not so sure Edison I'd say that Edison "over performed", they beat Stockdale (#9 seed) at home in the 1st round of the playoffs. I would suggest that maybe Central "did ok making it to the Valley Championship game' is not quite accurate, Central was the #1 seed, they faced Edison #8 seed and CW #4 seed whom they had beat earlier that year 49-28. I never said nor implied that Edison's kids don't play hard, but for the amount of speed and talent they have as with Central they underachieve more than they don't.
Making it to the Valley Championship game without their best player (I'm no Central lover BTW) is better than "ok". Especially since they beat CW who just like other Clovis schools are overrated every year IMO. CW was supposed to win it all. I remember a lot of CW talk all year including in the "Clovis" Bee. Maybe Edison is expected to win due to it's traditional wealth of "Athletes" but it also might be because it has a tradition of winning which backs up the high ratings. Back in Sept. 2016 this was the type of rankings I saw on this board:
1.) Clovis
2.) Bakersfield
3.) Central
4.) Clovis North
4.) Liberty
6.) Buchanan
7.) Bullard
8.) Clovis West
9.) Sanger
10.) Stockdale
other Valley "Experts" had Edison as #5 or #6 but said they had to have great QB play which was true.
Clovis schools might need a second look on being overrated. But I'm a FUSD Homer all the way so I'm always gonna say that :)

Sixtynine

Quote from: tbone77 on May 17, 2017, 01:36:22 PM
Making it to the Valley Championship game without their best player (I'm no Central lover BTW) is better than "ok". Especially since they beat CW who just like other Clovis schools are overrated every year IMO. CW was supposed to win it all. I remember a lot of CW talk all year including in the "Clovis" Bee. Maybe Edison is expected to win due to it's traditional wealth of "Athletes" but it also might be because it has a tradition of winning which backs up the high ratings. Back in Sept. 2016 this was the type of rankings I saw on this board:
1.) Clovis
2.) Bakersfield
3.) Central
4.) Clovis North
4.) Liberty
6.) Buchanan
7.) Bullard
8.) Clovis West
9.) Sanger
10.) Stockdale
other Valley "Experts" had Edison as #5 or #6 but said they had to have great QB play which was true.
Clovis schools might need a second look on being overrated. But I'm a FUSD Homer all the way so I'm always gonna say that :)

You're off on this. About 99.9 percent of the time, it's Fresno schools that are WAY overrated not Clovis schools. It's always Edison and Central being hyped up because of their "superior" athletes. Nobody does less with more than Central and Edison football....usually.

CW was not supposed to win it all last year. Sure, Adrian Martinez got a lot of publicity in the media for being the best player, by far, in the section. But as a team? They were a 4 seed. They were not supposed to win it all.

Central again will be good this year and are even a championship contender. Their chances went substantially up when they had a Clovis kid transfer in to play RB for this coming season.
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

tbone77

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 17, 2017, 02:24:01 PM
You're off on this. About 99.9 percent of the time, it's Fresno schools that are WAY overrated not Clovis schools. It's always Edison and Central being hyped up because of their "superior" athletes. Nobody does less with more than Central and Edison football....usually.

CW was not supposed to win it all last year. Sure, Adrian Martinez got a lot of publicity in the media for being the best player, by far, in the section. But as a team? They were a 4 seed. They were not supposed to win it all.

Central again will be good this year and are even a championship contender. Their chances went substantially up when they had a Clovis kid transfer in to play RB for this coming season.

Less with more? that is the stereotype....Having "Superior" Athletes has never equated to winning 100%, having great admin support, financial resources/booster organization,  great coaches and involved and supportive parents might have something to do with winning as well. Being involved first hand with Edison has taught me that big-time. Matter of fact, I believe that the Coaching staff may be the most important aspect of HS football not the "athletes". While Matt Johnson is a very good coach IMO, he has had major turnover in key staff positions the past 4 years- 4 OC's, 4 Receiver Coaches, 3 DC's and a number of other auxiliary coaches. With all that being said..if they had consistency in the QB position the past two years they may have gone a lot further.
Clovis teams are overrated more consistently than FUSD teams...especially pre-season. That's my opinion and we'll see if it holds true this year..again.

TeddyKGB

there is no question that admin support, parental support, good Boosters and coaching all go into a successful program, but what I believe sixty and I are both getting at is that on the field Central and Edison will usually have the better athletes and they tend to under perform in the clutch. I am a fan of the Drillers and they should not have won the VC game, Central was the better team but IMO the Central offense was run in a way that took them out of the game...again that's just my opinion I don't know what was going on on the Central sideline or huddle.

TeddyKGB