News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Earlier start of the season

Started by Voice_of_Reason, February 01, 2018, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voice_of_Reason

Week zero of this upcoming season is August 17. Teams that have yet to hire a coach will really be up against the 8 ball once they do hire somebody. It takes significant time to assemble a staff, establish a weight program, and build your team culture. Having to do so in a shortened summer is really gonna be tough. Good luck to those that have applied and also to those people having to make the right hire.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Voice_of_Reason on February 01, 2018, 01:09:27 PM
Teams that have yet to hire a coach will really be up against the 8 ball once they do hire somebody.

the saying is behind the 8Ball... not up against

Coach Gutierrez

My issue will be my week 0 is the same week we start school. Coaching at predominantly migrant school and where the culture has been "show up when you can" leading up to a every thought non-conference opponent. I might not have a JV team assembled by that week.

Voice_of_Reason

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 01, 2018, 02:19:59 PM

My bad, don't categorize me grammatically with the "snake oil salesman."

Sixtynine

Is this a week earlier than last year or the same?
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Jazz

Season moved up a week.  First games last year were Aug. 25th. This also moves up the 2 week dead period which used to be the last 2 weeks of July.

Spazzilla

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 01, 2018, 02:19:59 PM

Well if you spent any time down at Ming & Wible you'd know that you can be BEHIND the 8 ball, arguably less favorable that behind it ;)
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

Sixtynine

So this means the Valley Championship will be Thanksgiving weekend, since semis were the week after this past year?

Spazzilla

Quote from: Sixtynine on February 02, 2018, 08:52:16 AM
So this means the Valley Championship will be Thanksgiving weekend, since semis were the week after this past year?

yup.
http://www.cifcs.org/playoffs/season-of-sport?field_season_season_value=Fall&field_season_year_value_1=1

FOOTBALL
Year: 2018-2019
First Day To Start Practice:
July 23 Start of Acclimitazation
Season: Fall
Required Practice Days: 10
First Scrimmage: Aug. 10
Date of First Contest: Aug. 17
Date of Last Contest: Oct. 26
Number of Scrimmages: 1
Number of Contests: 10
Playoff Dates/Sites:
Section: Nov. 2, 9, 16, 23....Regional games Nov. 30-Dec. 1; Bowl games Dec. 7-8
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

Sixtynine

I believe CUSD doesn't start school till Aug. 20. Crazy that the first game of the season will take place before students are in school.

Coach Clements

Thanksgiving weekend is typically horrible for attendance no matter how good the match-up is.  But with the state playoffs being what they are I am a fan of moving it up to help wrestling and basketball.
Redwood Rangers: 1973, 1982, 1983, 1996 D1 Central Section Champions

Spazzilla

Quote from: Coach Clements on February 02, 2018, 09:23:00 AM
Thanksgiving weekend is typically horrible for attendance no matter how good the match-up is.  But with the state playoffs being what they are I am a fan of moving it up to help wrestling and basketball.

Wrestling got moved up a week as well so it doesn't help, state tournament is last weekend of February. 
  - Hannah Arendt

shafteralum

Hate the change.  Heat is always a factor in the valley, and this adds one more week where we could see heat cancellations/delays.

valleyfbfan

Every sport got moved up except cross country, couldn't get Woodward Park the weekend earlier for the state meet.  The state track meet is scheduled for Memorial Weekend.

Gonna be a very short summer this year for the fall sports.

RoadDawg

Quote from: shafteralum on February 02, 2018, 09:29:04 AM
Hate the change.  Heat is always a factor in the valley, and this adds one more week where we could see heat cancellations/delays.

I agree, and I don't know why they don't back the start times up to 6 for JV and 8pm for varsity.   
"The older I get... The better I was!"

footballforever

Quote from: RoadDawg on February 03, 2018, 03:25:02 PM
I agree, and I don't know why they don't back the start times up to 6 for JV and 8pm for varsity.
That is an option that some schools have used on bad heat days.
Coaches in the central section wanted to preserve the "11 weeks for 10" games schedule rather than just dropping out a week and not having a bye. They also wanted to keep a 10 game schedule rather than go to a 9 game regular season. More scheduling flexibility comes at a cost.
Col 3:23

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Voice_of_Reason on February 01, 2018, 05:44:15 PM

My bad, don't categorize me grammatically with the "snake oil salesman."

I would never!

Beercat

Another reason to schedule Central Coast schools for the pre-season. It cools off over here in the evening ;)

Beercat