News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

TRAC Preseason Breakdown

Started by Sixtynine, July 13, 2018, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legit 1 26

Clovis West will go 0-10 this year. Too much talent gone and no coach.

Black_n_Blue

Tonight will tell us what we need to know about CN and their young coaching staff...

Crazy to think what could of been as the following players grew up in the program:

McKinley Lee (GR)
Trevor Jackson (GR)
Brock Jones (GR/CN)
Carson Bailey (GR/CN)
Keanu Williams (GR)
Tobin Phillips (GR/CN)

Not to mention the others that stayed at CN but quit football to focus on other sports. 

Sixtynine

For the record, I thought Petrissans called a pretty good game last night. There was some unfortunate fumbles and drops throughout the game though. But most of what he schemed up worked, especially the RB screens.

I think last night was more of a product of an inexperienced CW team mixed with less than stellar defensive line play.
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Sixtynine

Quote from: Black_n_Blue on August 24, 2018, 08:24:47 AM
Tonight will tell us what we need to know about CN and their young coaching staff...

Crazy to think what could of been as the following players grew up in the program:

McKinley Lee (GR)
Trevor Jackson (GR)
Brock Jones (GR/CN)
Carson Bailey (GR/CN)
Keanu Williams (GR)
Tobin Phillips (GR/CN)

Not to mention the others that stayed at CN but quit football to focus on other sports.

CN should be fine tonight

Frontier hammered Sunnyside last week
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Sixtynine on August 24, 2018, 09:30:37 AM
For the record, I thought Petrissans called a pretty good game last night. There was some unfortunate fumbles and drops throughout the game though. But most of what he schemed up worked, especially the RB screens.
N
I think last night was more of a product of an inexperienced CW team mixed with less than stellar defensive line play.

My only issue is the running game. I absolutely hate when teams run the ball out of shotgun. I feel like it's all CW has done since he's been the he has been the head coach.

anthilllegend

It's not the set..............it's the commitment to developing a running game.  If you are not commited to running the football at the HS level.....most likely you are going to come up short in the end.  Ironically, the greatest rushing team in Clovis West history ran the ball out of the gun (Parsons 12-1... 2010 Valley Champions).  That team in "shot gun" (every play, not one play under center the entire 13 game season) rushed the football 599 times for 4,563 yards and 7.62 ypc.  They averaged 351 ypg on the ground and put 57 in the zone packing it by land.  In comparison last years 9-4 CW team ran the ball only 254 times for 1397 yards.  Their average per-carry was decent/good at 5.5 ypc ...........but due to the lack of commitment to running the ball they only totaled 116 ypg.  It doesn't matter if you under center or displaced.........it's the mentality of the scheme.  CW football has a soft mentality.......they want to flip the ball around the field and run the ball only as a novelty.  The OL are pass protectors and struggle to redefine the LOS when they need to because they never focus on it in practice (a majority of the reps are in pass pro).  If this mentality is passed down through the lineage of the program (elementary, Jr. Hi., Frosh and JV).......what you end up with at the varsity level are soft box players and no developed running backs.  If you going to fling it and cling it all night.......you better have the best QB in the valley doing it........not very many of the top throwers in the valley have won VC's at the D1 level (although Tompkins did it last year, but the Grizz had some hard running RB's and Tompkins can run it himself as well).  HS football championship are usually won in the ground game (both executing it.......and stopping it).

The Anthilllegend

Bronco

Spot on Ant ! If you don"t  practice running the ball You will not run the ball. When Gruden took over the Raiders he went to the practice facility & saw an old 7 man Crowther Sled sitting on the edge of the field with weeds growing through it & said " I can tell you what your problem is right now".

Bronco