News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bullard recent vs older history

Started by knightsrule04, February 22, 2024, 01:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

Quote from: anthilllegend on February 26, 2024, 09:31:58 PMProbably should have been the Highlanders and Roosevelt sharing McLane Stadium. With Edison and Fresno High playing at Ratcliffe or the Chuk.  And, Hoover and the Knights alternating dates at the "never built" Bullard Stadium.  Instead the district went 40 years without building an on campus football stadium (McLane, 1959 & Sunnyside, 1999.)

The Anthilllegend

Bullard is landlocked.  Better to take over the FMFCD ponding basin next to Hoover and build a subsurface stadium like Fresno State.  Minimal grading required.  Of course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 08:24:17 AMOf course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 

just as tough as when the Clovis Cowboys had to share their stadium with the Penny Loafer wearing country clubbers from Clovis West

steve-o

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 08:24:17 AMBullard is landlocked.  Better to take over the FMFCD ponding basin next to Hoover and build a subsurface stadium like Fresno State.  Minimal grading required.  Of course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 
This was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.
if your not cheating your not trying!!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: steve-o on February 27, 2024, 12:30:41 PMThis was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.

Was it lack of funding?

izne1home

Quote from: steve-o on February 27, 2024, 12:30:41 PMThis was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.

Really?  I'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 

Not surprised it didn't come together.  FMFCD is pretty stingy with its basins and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD.  Baseball diamonds are one thing, but permanent bleachers and playing surface that could not be submerged is another. 

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 01:38:53 PMI'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 
 and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD

I am not surprised that FUSD could not make it happen, if they are just half as bad at negotiating as the KHSD people they are terrible. The fahkin idiots at KHSD can't even get high school football games up at Bakersfield College. I have no doubt that when they buy land for a new school they pay an absurd amount

Darth Backer

Yah, I always have mixed emotions about the Bakersfield set-up. Everyone has their own stadium but rarely is the playing surface quality and they typically don't have an all-weather track. Here in Visalia, we have 2 quality stadiums and the two schools that don't have them at least have a pretty good track facility mini-stadium with a quality playing surface. I'm assuming that is preferable to having no decent grass anywhere on campus like you see in Bakersfield.

ExCoach

Quote from: izne1home on February 26, 2024, 10:42:20 AMProbably should have designed a stadium at East.  Maybe it's not too late.  If they add one at the new South, CUSD will have 6 for 3 but that's halfway to Pine Flat.  Otherwise, it's 6 for 2 almost every week and both natural grass stadiums will get chewed up.

I've heard that Clovis South will have a large events center (5000 capacity) and not a stadium

TeddyKGB

Darth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:
1) The varsity teams will practice on them so the wear and tear is significant
2) the KHSD's Maintenance and Operations department has strangle hold on the school sites. To get anything done requisition from the site must be put in then the M&O will tend to any ground keeping, and athletic facilities are not high on the priority list.

I don't know why the lack of all-weather tracks I believe the school has to raise the money if they want those "extras". As with most things the KHSD has a terrible business model.

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 27, 2024, 03:09:38 PMDarth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:
2) the KHSD's Maintenance and Operations department has strangle hold on the school sites. To get anything done requisition from the site must be put in then the M&O will tend to any ground keeping, and athletic facilities are not high on the priority list.

I don't know why the lack of all-weather tracks I believe the school has to raise the money if they want those "extras". As with most things the KHSD has a terrible business model.

Quote from: ExCoach on February 27, 2024, 02:17:52 PMI've heard that Clovis South will have a large events center (5000 capacity) and not a stadium

I'm sure it is very well thought out.  CUSD's demographic and facility planners usually hit the nail on the head. 

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 27, 2024, 03:09:38 PMDarth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:

In Visalia, teams are not allowed to step foot on stadium grass. As a result, we are typically on par with Clovis Unified for the best actual real grass playing surfaces around, I believe Sanger and a few others obviously don't touch their stadiums as well unless it's a game.

steve-o

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 01:38:53 PMReally?  I'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 

Not surprised it didn't come together.  FMFCD is pretty stingy with its basins and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD.  Baseball diamonds are one thing, but permanent bleachers and playing surface that could not be submerged is another. 

I was told it was signed off by the flood district.....it was an FUSD issue.
if your not cheating your not trying!!

izne1home

Quote from: steve-o on February 28, 2024, 03:23:52 PMI was told it was signed off by the flood district.....it was an FUSD issue.

I'm sure Flood Control signed off 'with conditions.'  The cost of those conditions were probably staggering.  I'm sure they wanted FUSD to deepen the east end of the basin, etc. The storm capacity of the basin would have to be maintained at 100-year flood levels.

Interesting.  We have ponding basins because Fresno is flat.  Without some design, flood water would just accumulate and damage property.  We have to design gradual slopes in lots, roads, etc., to get the stormwater to move. Next time you're in a town with natural terrain and elevation, try to find a flood control basin.  There aren't any.  It's just a blight on us flatlanders. 

izne1home

What...  nobody is interested in the engineering behind ponding basins?

CWClassof2007

Quote from: izne1home on February 26, 2024, 11:34:15 AMClovis South.  Clinton and Highland, BFE. 
Any idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.

izne1home

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on March 01, 2024, 07:33:46 AMAny idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.

On proximity, there will be a lot of high-density residential developments in that area in the coming decades.  Probably more dense than CW, CN, and Buchanan neighborhoods.  I remember when CW was being built back in the late 70s.  It was out in the middle of nowhere - halfway to Fort Washington which was halfway to Millerton Lake.

CUSD goes with animals native to or associated with the area - Cougars, Golden Eages, Bears, Timberwolves, and Broncos.  I'll guess Bulls, Badgers, Beavers*, or Bobcats.

* Teddy's personal favorite.

knightsrule04

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on March 01, 2024, 07:33:46 AMAny idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.
What I heard about a decade ago working at a financial institution in Clovis was that they would be the Fighting Irish (not kidding). Apparently the administrator who agreed to lend his name to the "educational complex" or whatever made that a condition of the naming. Now, maybe things have changed since then. And I don't recall who told me, but they didn't appear to be pulling my leg.
BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

izne1home

Quote from: knightsrule04 on March 02, 2024, 07:50:40 PMWhat I heard about a decade ago working at a financial institution in Clovis was that they would be the Fighting Irish (not kidding). Apparently the administrator who agreed to lend his name to the "educational complex" or whatever made that a condition of the naming. Now, maybe things have changed since then. And I don't recall who told me, but they didn't appear to be pulling my leg.

It's the Terry Bradley Educational Complex.  He didn't strike me as the type of guy who would condition the use of his name, but if he did, probably not Fighting Irish.  Probably a longstanding internal joke. 

Besides, if we cannot use names like Redskins or Squaws, how could we use Fighting Irish? 

knightsrule04

Quote from: izne1home on March 03, 2024, 02:29:58 PMIt's the Terry Bradley Educational Complex.  He didn't strike me as the type of guy who would condition the use of his name, but if he did, probably not Fighting Irish.  Probably a longstanding internal joke. 

Besides, if we cannot use names like Redskins or Squaws, how could we use Fighting Irish? 
Yeah possibly. It's been a while and I'm getting old so my memory might be a little foggy.
BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

izne1home

Quote from: knightsrule04 on March 03, 2024, 06:09:31 PMYeah possibly. It's been a while and I'm getting old so my memory might be a little foggy.

Just wait...

izne1home