News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

so what's up with the catholic thing?

Started by cifglobalism11, April 16, 2024, 10:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cifglobalism11

So I was catching up on some posts and some slick members decided to make some jokes about by previous posts about the number of Catholics in the CW area and my comments towards Catholic private schools on their football teams.. LOL

I did not actually classify or care to deem the religion of many CW personnel until many years after CW. I did not even think about.. all I knew was that there was a commonality between many of them. Whether it be preps that went to FW or Liberty, pinedale chicanos, race baiting AAs, class of 04, 05, 08,07,07..blah blah blah. There was just a sharp degree of similarity. Not everyone but damn just about everyone behaved the same and knew each other (the only distant groups were some pinedale chikanos and hmongs from everyone else). You could not sense any emotion out of them either. I never found out this mysterious commonality but also encountered in outside of the CW area at times be it in Fresno or socal. Then during COVID now over a decade since, I was bored and found videos of this preacher Ruben Israel. I do not support 100% what his group does but there was something consistent in his videos that rang a bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgIVsi_21I8
Here is a general video of him bashing Catholics and their aggressive behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJTl49XF0w
At 3:25 in this video, observe this girl with her unsentimental behavior.
SHE IS BEHAVING EXACTLY.... EXACTLY like a few high profile cheerleaders and SB players and somewhat similar to many of the girls I dealt with at CW (mostly white, some Armenian, some Asian, some latin) that also were involved in any activities be it softball, VB, GBB, ASB, leadership or was just very popular. SHE EVEN LOOKS SIMILAR TO THEM LOLOL!

Then at 3:40...those guys are behaving exactly like many CW guys
and at 2:21, same behavior from these girls (again with this similar look LOL).

I wondered one night about this one church that was attended by  many CW Athletes, plain students, and few Buchanan guys that behaved similar. I looked up this very popular church in the CW area because I could have sworn it said "Catholic Church" on the sign..and I was able to confirm it was.  Everyone in this nexus had some connection, whether is was service, youth group, off site activities, etc. even Ribera

And that is all this is. Is that this is the commonality that I have speculated.
For those of you that dissent with this observation and say I am 100% wrong about this (some of you (including @izne1home, have stated that the majority in the area are protestant and Baptist, or southern Baptist). THEN ANSWER ME THIS: What were protestants and Baptists doing attending youth group and services at a Catholic Church?

If someone can answer that, then I will take back what I stated.
𝕎𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕕𝕖 𝕚𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕍ℂ!...𝕃𝕖𝕥𝕤 𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕕 ℂ𝕠𝕒𝕔𝕙!
-cdub logic

izne1home

Quote from: cifglobalism11 on April 16, 2024, 10:29:42 PMTHEN ANSWER ME THIS: What were protestants and Baptists doing attending youth group and services at a Catholic Church?

Probably the same reason most high school guys do anything - they're trying to get laid.  If you're trying to assign religious affiliations, I would be more concerned with where they attend on Sunday rather than which youth group has the most girls.

eylchamps

Quote from: cifglobalism11 on April 16, 2024, 10:29:42 PMTHEN ANSWER ME THIS: What were protestants and Baptists doing attending youth group and services at a Catholic Church?

Back in the 90's, Garces and other catholic schools were known for their drinking and partying. We, public school kids and protestant, were friends with those kids. We did not care about how they worshipped but how great the parties were.
I ran into Teddy a couple of times. he hates Garces but loved the parties.
WYL wishes they were the EYL

cifglobalism11

Quote from: izne1home on April 17, 2024, 08:47:06 AMI would be more concerned with where they attend on Sunday

My original post may have been confusing.... THEY WERE attending sunday services AND the other youth group stuff. They did BOTH! I already knew this.

The same guys and girls (be they were catholic or non catholic) ATTENDED the sunday service at that church. And I doubt it was for the reason you stated because remember these are freshman and sophmores, they dont just say "hey" I want to get some..ill send this church. Obviously they had to go because everyone else in their household went.

One day Ribera was teling to me during class (On the morning of your game with Buchanan), and said he knew one of the Buchanan player (Sammy) and that Sammy was telling him during church that they (Buchanan) were going to beat us. I told an O-linemen what Ribera told me about his convo with this "Sammy" guy at their church and the CW O-Linemen replied to me "Yeah that's my church too" (while laughing). It took a while but eventually I found out It was a common sunday thing between more than just the 3 of them.

Does this clear things up?

Quote from: eylchamps on April 17, 2024, 01:56:16 PMBack in the 90's, ... the parties.

@eylchamps

I know what you are saying. But did those protestants and Catholics go to the same church? All I am saying is that most of the CW guys must have been Catholic because THEY DID ALL GO TO THE SAME PLACE of SERVICE. So why wouldn't I believe they were all catholic, unless there is a reason a protestant would go to a sunday catholic service. 

-cdub logic

izne1home

Still a little unclear about your references to Ribera.  His father was the lead pastor at New Harvest Church and all the Riberas spent every Sunday morning together at church as a family.  All were very involved.

I'm sure Ribera, like most people, had plenty of friends who were Catholic, but your inference goes far beyond that.

cifglobalism11

Quote from: izne1home on April 17, 2024, 05:04:07 PMStill a little unclear about your references to Ribera.  His father was the lead pastor at New Harvest Church and all the Riberas spent every Sunday morning together at church as a family.  All were very involved.

I'm sure Ribera, like most people, had plenty of friends who were Catholic, but your inference goes far beyond that.

@izne1home

I think me avoiding name dropping the actual institution is what is causing a disconnect..

Holy Spirit by VO which is Catholic. Ribera told me himself that he went there (when he was telling me the above story), and others did as well.

MY interference is from the equivalent as a duck test.
Duck test: if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck..its a duck.

IF they act like Catholics, go to the a Catholic church like Catholics, They must be Catholics right?
 Was it common for these guys to go to these churches just because their friends were?

-cdub logic

izne1home

Are you suggesting that Ribera attended church at Holy Spirit based on the duck test?

You can weave together whatever conspiracies or assumptions you like, but when you are factually wrong, expect to be corrected.  No amount of circumstantial or speculative duck testing can overcome reality.

cifglobalism11

Quote from: izne1home on April 18, 2024, 12:47:21 PMAre you suggesting that Ribera attended church at Holy Spirit based on the duck test?

You can weave together whatever conspiracies or assumptions you like, but when you are factually wrong, expect to be corrected.  No amount of circumstantial or speculative duck testing can overcome reality.

Quote from: izne1home on April 18, 2024, 12:47:21 PMAre you suggesting that Ribera attended church at Holy Spirit based on the duck test?

No I am not suggesting Ribera was Catholic because of the duck test, I was applying that for my claim about the CW athletes as a whole.

I WAS assuming he was Catholic because HE TOLD ME HE WENT to a Catholic church. Then members of this forum told me he was southern baptist.

Sure I could be wrong maybe the majority of the CW area is protestant...ok well then wheres the data on that?

Just like I have no real hard statistical data on the Cathloic thing, the opposing viewers don't have any either.

But I am actually doing what many on my CUSD and CW counterparts fail to do...and that is assuming I may be wrong, and to explain things better. I would like to know why guys (such as Ribera) were going to HS Catholic church for because that is one of the instances that lead me to believe this in my view. (The videos by street preachers were major supplemental that supported a thesis to a huge unknown)
-cdub logic

izne1home

Again, you are looking for statistical data to support a theory.  I am responding only to one specific assertion which  I know is wrong. 

The majority of the team may well identify as Catholic, which is fairly common among those who haven't been to church in years, let alone a weekly youth group.  I have no idea. I do know that most of the large Protestant churches sit in the general CW area.  Peoples, Cross City, The Well, Clovis Hills, New Harvest, New Covenant..., all of which had/have very large youth groups, any one of which would swallow the entirety of the local Catholic church youth groups combined.  But who knows..., maybe Holy Spirit had it going on as well.  Hopefully they did, but we are just talking numbers and participation. 

You might get further if you spoke in generalities and resisted the temptation to drop names. 

Timmy Winn

I go to Holy Spirit and can confirm that there is a three headed dragon that lives underneath the church. Sammy, the Buchanan kid was only invited as a sacrifice. The dragon is hungry and he has taught us a lot. Ribera was never at Holy Spirit his dad is the main man at an extremely non-catholic church. Of all the strange posts this one is probably the strangest. Congratulations!

cifglobalism11

Quote from: izne1home on April 18, 2024, 02:01:56 PMAgain, you are looking for statistical data to support a theory.  I am responding only to one specific assertion which  I know is wrong. 

The majority of the team may well identify as Catholic, which is fairly common among those who haven't been to church in years, let alone a weekly youth group.  I have no idea. I do know that most of the large Protestant churches sit in the general CW area.  Peoples, Cross City, The Well, Clovis Hills, New Harvest, New Covenant..., all of which had/have very large youth groups, any one of which would swallow the entirety of the local Catholic church youth groups combined.  But who knows..., maybe Holy Spirit had it going on as well.  Hopefully they did, but we are just talking numbers and participation. 

You might get further if you spoke in generalities and resisted the temptation to drop names. 

@izne1home
Can we agree that it was common in the CW area for all christians of all sects to intermingle and attend each others events/community functions. and that sect did not matter

Quote from: Timmy Winn on April 18, 2024, 04:15:48 PMI go to Holy Spirit and can confirm that there is a three headed dragon that lives underneath the church. Sammy, the Buchanan kid was only invited as a sacrifice. The dragon is hungry and he has taught us a lot. Ribera was never at Holy Spirit his dad is the main man at an extremely non-catholic church. Of all the strange posts this one is probably the strangest. Congratulations!

@Timmy Winn
I really don't get your joke at all. I understand if you do not want to read the whole post about Ribera, but damn dude at least read the first line or two. He told me this. So unless you want to explain why he would tell me that or just add anything useful...im not sure what is the whole point of your reply and why you would call this strange if you did not even go through the whole original post or even click on the videos I posted.
-cdub logic

izne1home

Quote from: cifglobalism11 on April 18, 2024, 10:12:20 PMCan we agree that it was common in the CW area for all christians of all sects to intermingle and attend each others events/community functions. and that sect did not matter

I have some experience with Christian youth groups. Intermingling on campus and attendance at citywide or area functions is not uncommon, but are almost exclusively functions of the larger Protestant churches I named below, with most of the campus events being sponsored by Youth for Christ and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. 

I'm sure these churches have some fundamental differences with the Catholic church, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are anti-Catholic.  Kids are kids regardless of where their parents drag them on Sundays or occasional holidays. 

The point is that the types of events which attract kids on a weekly basis are almost exclusively Protestant.  It is far more likely that a kid who identifies as Catholic would be hanging around an FCA meeting eating free pizza than the son of a Baptist preacher attending a weekly event at a Catholic church.  You are putting a lot of weight on what you claim you were told, despite reality.  You need to be flexible enough to pivot when you discover you might have misunderstood something, or were lied to.

cifglobalism11

Quote from: izne1home on April 19, 2024, 11:23:46 AMwhen you discover you might have misunderstood something, or were lied to.

@izne1home

This may be unbelievable, but I am considering that Ribera may have lied to me and yes I will that except that if that is what happened. Or it just may me horrible case of omission and he may have not bothered to take the time to explain his go-around multiple church networking because he may have deemed it too much to explain and just wanted to keep our conversation (which was mainly regarding the upcoming Buchanan games), short and sweet.. which is also a possibility.
-cdub logic

cifglobalism11

-cdub logic