News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Garces hires...

Started by taysdad, December 23, 2014, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taysdad

AJ Gass, spent past 2 years as servite coach. This according to Trevor Horn of Bakersfield Californian

Aggie75

Great Hire.  :u: :u: :u:  Garces can now build a competitive program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE3DEA-DSVQ

Bronco

AJ is a Servite Football Alumni & a Fresno State Football alumni  :u: And has been doing an outstanding job with the athletes at Servite !! We will miss him & wish him the best at Garces !!

taysdad

Quote from: Aggie75 on December 23, 2014, 04:33:04 PM

wow, seems like one intense dude. can only imagine the pre game and halftime talks.

Roughneck005

Quote from: Aggie75 on December 23, 2014, 04:33:04 PM

Comedic post of the year right here ^^^^ :)-
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
-Vince Lombardi

Illegal Formation

Quote from: Roughneck005 on December 23, 2014, 09:45:36 PM
Comedic post of the year right here ^^^^ :)-
You had better pray that the joke isn't on you numbneck.

Whoson1st

Quote from: Illegal Formation on December 23, 2014, 10:04:57 PM

he made a stupid comment without backing it up,,,,, he could pray for maybe a clearer train of thought before he comments  in the future.

He was probable thinking that the re-hire of rosie o'donell on the view as the best hire of the year.

It's Christmas ,,,,lets forgive the 3 level student form the BHS class of 1987 :D :u:

Roughneck005

Quote from: Illegal Formation on December 23, 2014, 10:04:57 PM

The joke isn't AJ Gass, the joke is Garces in general, you should realize that by now.

Quote from: Whoson1st on December 24, 2014, 03:35:41 PM

he made a stupid comment without backing it up,,,,, he could pray for maybe a clearer train of thought before he comments  in the future.

He was probable thinking that the re-hire of rosie o'donell on the view as the best hire of the year.

It's Christmas ,,,,lets forgive the 3 level student form the THE BHS class of 1987 :D :u:

Read above comment. Gass is not enough to build Garces into a "competitive" program. The comment was in no way meant to reflect any negativity on AJ; he is a stud and a quality coach (although he did poorly at his own alum and was on the way out...but that's neither here nor there...).

Think before you speak you say?

Read a little deeper into the provided content; they managed to teach us that at BHS.

I'll give you time to remove your foot from your mouth now.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
-Vince Lombardi

obiwan

Looks like he struggled to win with big time athletes in a tough league. He will struggle to win less talented athletes in a tough league. Garces, you might of jumped the gun or did Gass did?

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote from: obiwan on December 25, 2014, 12:32:33 AM
Looks like he struggled to win with big time athletes in a tough league. He will struggle to win less talented athletes in a tough league. Garces, you might of jumped the gun or did Gass did?

How did they jump the gun? He can't do any worse than the team did this past year. In my opinion his first year, he's playing with house money. The talent will rise. Garces might have a down year but very seldom do you see consecutive down years. They'll get it turned around. Remember when you lose the top players from a year ago including- Sheldon Croney to Ridgeview, Hunter Giulletti to Centennial, Stavros Katsantonis to Liberty, a QB who quit, and 4 players including the QB they lost during the season for disciplinary reasons. And now you see what Tim A was coaching with. You deal with that? Let's see how you coach. Yeah it was a tough league to begin with but they didn't have a very solid senior class. All the other teams did so everyone else in league will come down a little. Their numbers and talent will increase. As I said the next coach is in a great position and fully supported unlike Tim A. Gas has to be used to this kind of pressure coaching at Servite. Why did he or Garces jump the gun? Expain..

obiwan

Garces is in a tough situation, they need a guy who understands Bakersfield. Garces hired a guy way to early and a coach who doesn't know anything about Bakersfield. Im sure he's a great coach, but he hasnt proved anything at servite or has never rebuilt a program to be competitive in a tough league.

madstang

Quote from: obiwan on December 25, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
Garces is in a tough situation, they need a guy who understands Bakersfield. Garces hired a guy way to early and a coach who doesn't know anything about Bakersfield. Im sure he's a great coach, but he hasnt proved anything at servite or has never rebuilt a program to be competitive in a tough league.
He doesn't understand Bakersfield? Kind of like Golla didn't understand? I'm always amazed at some of the things I read on this site. He took over at Servite after Troy Thomas was forced out and Servite was on a down hill spiral. He coached in the toughest league and division in the state if not the whole nation. They lost to LBP by one point in the first round of the playoffs. They would have won the central section. They were better then Edison. Good hire by Garces!

obiwan

Good points, but Golla works in a public school where he doesn't have to attract athletes to attend the school.  He walked into a gold mine. Plus, he's been very successful whenever he's been. In order to turn Garces around, I would think you would have a lot of street credit with local pop warner programs and alumni. The last coach was a respected alumni and coach and he struggled. It's great that garces got their guy but supporters need to be prepared to support a non Bako/garces coach for a long time.

Whoson1st

Quote from: Roughneck005 on December 24, 2014, 04:03:29 PM
The joke isn't AJ Gass, the joke is Garces in general, you should realize that by now.

Read above comment. Gass is not enough to build Garces into a "competitive" program. The comment was in no way meant to reflect any negativity on AJ; he is a stud and a quality coach (although he did poorly at his own alum and was on the way out...but that's neither here nor there...).

WHICH IS IT?  HE IS " A QUALITY COACH" or NOT ENOUGH TO HELP BUILD :huh:     Think before you speak.  :shy:

you are right about Garces being a joke (this year) It was a mess.  But in this case they acted professionally and with rare decisiveness .   :u:  A step towards building a completive program. :u:

Read a little deeper into the provided content; they managed to teach us that at BHS.             But they failed to teach you to not contradict yourself.

I'll give you time to remove your foot from your mouth now.

bksflddan

With Coach A.J. Gass Garces scored a two point after TD and recovered the on side kickoff ...

I suspect alumni helped ...

Hide and watch sports fans, the Rams will butt heads and be a D 2 player next year ...

Good for bako, good for Garces, very good for CS ...
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteGarces is in a tough situation, they need a guy who understands Bakersfield. Garces hired a guy way to early and a coach who doesn't know anything about Bakersfield. Im sure he's a great coach, but he hasnt proved anything at servite or has never rebuilt a program to be competitive in a tough league.

QuotePosted by: obiwan
Insert Quote
Good points, but Golla works in a public school where he doesn't have to attract athletes to attend the school.  He walked into a gold mine. Plus, he's been very successful whenever he's been. In order to turn Garces around, I would think you would have a lot of street credit with local pop warner programs and alumni. The last coach was a respected alumni and coach and he struggled. It's great that garces got their guy but supporters need to be prepared to support a non Bako/garces coach for a long time.

I'm trying to connect your 2 points together. First of all you say Garces jumped the gun and hired the wrong guy because he is not local. He will have a hard time winning because he doesn't know a thing about Bakersfield. Ok???? Why can't someone out of the area coach a local team? Trying to understand this point. Yet the last guy they hired they waited a very long time to hire from Bakersfield and a Garces alum. Someone with street cred was never going to appease the masses at Garces. Why should they be prepared to support the non local coach? They went with street cred in the past and it didn't work with the last hire. He wasn't the big name they hoped for. With this position it's not about being local. I don't think you understand I believe they did not want someone local and that was pretty evident from the start. Ultimately, what it came down to was that most boosters wanted the big name sexy hire. "St. Bonny former coach Todd Therion" last time was the most popular choice. But not with school admin. It's probably a good thing the trigger was not pulled on that choice.

These are 2 very different hires for very different reasons. The 1st decision was a bit of a "let's clean things up from the burned bridges and carcases left on Loma Linda from the last guy. Let's get Garces back to the level of excellence, become more respected, with class and sportsmanship" decision. I think that was accomplished. Just not the winning or the appeasing the supporters part. Anton was more school admins call. This particular hire because the last one appeased largely no one in the alumni boosters, particularly those with $, they decided to go with the someone from a prominent level program in an affluent area that has coaching pedigree in the toughest league in the state. How can you blame them for this decision? Both are completely different for different reasons, mostly the domino effect.

Roughneck005

Quote from: Whoson1st on December 26, 2014, 08:26:41 AM

Just because someone is a quality coach doesn't mean they can rebuild a program. That kind of success has to come from an entire program/school stepping up and deciding they want to be successful. If hiring Gass is indicative of Garces' choice to focus on becoming a true football power in town, then good for them.

We shall see how it goes.
-Vince Lombardi

Illegal Formation

Quote from: Roughneck005 on December 24, 2014, 04:03:29 PM
Gass is not enough to build Garces into a "competitive" program. The comment was in no way meant to reflect any negativity on AJ; he is a stud and a quality coach (although he did poorly at his own alum and was on the way out...but that's neither here nor there...).

If his record at Servite is "neither here nor there", why bring it up if for no other reason than to disparage him? Would a better coached Garces team make a better game for you to watch like the 2012 BHS V Garces game? Why do you even need to make negative comments about the coach when it doesn't concern BHS.  Santa most undoubtedly left a bucket of coal for you this Christmas.

obiwan

Good luck. We will see how things go in 18 months from now. I hope your both right....Gas and Garces....if you're wrong, Garces will need to drop divisions and leagues to recover.

diesel

Quote from: obiwan on December 26, 2014, 08:51:05 PM
Good luck. We will see how things go in 18 months from now. I hope your both right....Gas and Garces....if you're wrong, Garces will need to drop divisions and leagues to recover.

They already dropped to D2 after initially being moved up to D1 at the beginning of the season......you think they'll move DOWN to D3???

diesel