News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bullard recent vs older history

Started by knightsrule04, February 22, 2024, 01:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightsrule04

I was wrapping up the Bullard football history and records updates recently. Looked over program history and ran some numbers from the time between Don Arax's playing days and coaching days at Bullard. Some crazy differences here:
-Between the 1982 season (the year after he finished playing at Bullard) and 1999 (the final year before he became head coach), Bullard was 82-101-2 (18 seasons, just 3 winning records). Arax took over and immediately took the team to a semifinal and 9 wins, neither of which been done since his senior year. He ended up 162-103-1 overall in 23.5 years with 7 league titles – Bullard had 6 league titles total before his tenure – and 15 winning seasons.
-From 1982-1999, Bullard was 0-33 vs Clovis schools: 0-18 vs Clovis (outscored 553-166) and 0-15 vs Clovis West (outscored 521-193). In his time, 9-9 vs Clovis and 10-16 vs Clovis West.
-Arax's Bullard teams won a total of 30 games vs Clovis schools, the most of anyone in the section outside the TRAC.
-From 2005-2015, Bullard probably had one of the best records in the upper divisions of the section at 87-41, and that's including two down years (combined 5-15) after making Valley title games. That run included 5 semifinal appearances and 3 title games, with of course the 2009 championship.

That's all impressive in its own right. Now consider the handicaps:
-No on-campus stadium
-Sub-par practice facilities
-No support from the district (like much of Bullard)
-Inconsistent feeder program, especially compared to similar schools/districts
-A failing district overall (and most other FUSD varsity football programs dropping down divisions rapidly over the last 20+ years, while Bullard remained in DI).

Really makes you think – what could have been if FUSD had a shred of competency? Certainly more football valley titles is plausible, which would have helped other programs on campus. Any way you slice it, though, a pretty good run for Arax at his alma mater. Looking forward to next fall!
BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

knightsrule04

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

TeddyKGB

that is impressive what Arax got done at Bullard especially when you take these two items into account:
No support from the district (like much of Bullard)
-Inconsistent feeder program, especially compared to similar schools/districts

TeddyKGB

RayRea

Anyone who thinks Arax was not a good coach is out of their mind.  He accomplished a lot of great things at that school.  Bullard is a school with great resources just not the structure and support of CUSD. Not sure an on campus stadium is a big deal though.
"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

RayRea

"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

TeddyKGB

I don't think anyone with any sense would say Arax was not a good coach. The fact that he went toe to toe with Clovis and CW and held his own every year speaks volumes.

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

I just think nowadays that anyone pushes hard enough for change and makes the powers that be uncomfortable is putting his job on the line. Most administrators are trying to avoid confrontation at all costs. They don't want to make hard decisions. This word equity has created a mess too. Anything you give to football, you've got to give to anyone else, which means none of us get anything...

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Darth Backer on February 23, 2024, 12:24:53 PMI just think nowadays that anyone pushes hard enough for change and makes the powers that be uncomfortable is putting his job on the line. Most administrators are trying to avoid confrontation at all costs.

This is without a doubt the situation in public schools, admin are spineless they want as little to do with confrontation as possible and I have to believe that much of it steams from their inability to solve problems with the proper negotiations. All an admin has to hear is "my lawyer" and they will, like izne after his 10th Johnny Walker Blue Label, p*ss down their leg. I'm of the opinion that parents should be handled in the fashion that years ago a client that was being quite belligerent was: the guy said/shouted "I'M GOING TO CALL MY LAWYER", he was told in a very calm but stern tone "you go ahead and get your lawyer I'll call our LAWYERS and we'll see who runs out of money first"...he stormed out and was never heard from again.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: RayRea on February 23, 2024, 09:21:30 AMNot sure an on campus stadium is a big deal though.

Helps with recruiting...

Arax is a legend in Bullard Football history. 

izne1home

anthilllegend

Some local schools that at times or never had an "on campus stadium."

Clovis West (these 3 CUSD teams shared Lamonica and The Vet with CHS and Buchanan
Clovis North
Clovis East
Central High School (east campus) played at old Kauffman and site of Justin Garza HS
Edison (these 5 FUSD schools shared McLane Stadium, Ratcliffe, Sunnyside and Chukchansi
Fresno High
Roosevelt
Hoover
Bullard
Merced HS (played for years at the fair grounds)
Paso Robles (played at the junior HS)
Torres (don't believe they have one)
Madera South (didn't for awhile, they have one now)
Hanford West (do they have one?)

The Anthilllegend

anthilllegend

izne1home

Quote from: anthilllegend on February 24, 2024, 10:59:46 PMSome local schools that at times or never had an "on campus stadium."

Clovis West (these 3 CUSD teams shared Lamonica and The Vet with CHS and Buchanan
Clovis North
Clovis East
Central High School (east campus) played at old Kauffman and site of Justin Garza HS
Edison (these 5 FUSD schools shared McLane Stadium, Ratcliffe, Sunnyside and Chukchansi
Fresno High
Roosevelt
Hoover
Bullard

The Anthilllegend

You could also prepare a list of schools with on-campus stadiums that perpetually suck...   When's the last time the Highlanders made any noise?  Having an on-campus stadium is nice, but like Teddy's girlfriend, it's not exclusive use. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on February 25, 2024, 09:57:49 AMYou could also prepare a list of schools with on-campus stadiums that perpetually suck...   When's the last time the Highlanders made any noise?  Having an on-campus stadium is nice, but like Teddy's girlfriend, it's not exclusive use. 

East Bakersfield High School & Highland High played home games Bakersfield College, they built stadiums and continue to be awful.
Really any school east of Chester Ave

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

Quote from: anthilllegend on February 24, 2024, 10:59:46 PMSome local schools that at times or never had an "on campus stadium."

Clovis North
Clovis East
Fresno High
Roosevelt
Hoover
Bullard

The Anthilllegend

Hanford, Tulare and Porterville all have a 3 for 1 stadium situation. Visalia has a 4 for 2 situation. The worst is Clovis with a 5 for 2... I hate Thursday night games.

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

I don't like the Thursday night games either, But I would rather see a couple schools share really nice facilities than each school have their our crappy set of bleachers.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: Darth Backer on February 26, 2024, 09:51:24 AMHanford, Tulare and Porterville all have a 3 for 1 stadium situation. Visalia has a 4 for 2 situation. The worst is Clovis with a 5 for 2... I hate Thursday night games.

Probably should have designed a stadium at East.  Maybe it's not too late.  If they add one at the new South, CUSD will have 6 for 3 but that's halfway to Pine Flat.  Otherwise, it's 6 for 2 almost every week and both natural grass stadiums will get chewed up.

izne1home

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 26, 2024, 10:45:36 AMIs CUSD building a new school?

Clovis South.  Clinton and Highland, BFE. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Are they going to name it Clovis South? How original. They Should a CUSD football coach, like Simmons

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 26, 2024, 12:15:22 PMAre they going to name it Clovis South? How original. They Should a CUSD football coach, like Simmons

It's situated at the future Bradley Educational Complex, but from what I understand, the HS will be called Clovis South. Sort of fits with Clovis West, Clovis North, and Clovis East.  Of course, you have the original Clovis High, and Buchanan named after the district architect.  Not sure there will ever be another Clovis HS named after a person. Those honors go to elementary and middle schools, or stadiums. 

George Kastner, a legend in the annals of CUSD, got a middle school named after him, only to be trumped by Doc Buchanan.  When they did that, I think CUSD forever closed the chance of another HS being named after a person.  Who could top George Kaster? 

I could see naming a stadium after a legendary coach, like Hartigan, Martin, Kinne..., but that's a stretch.  Nobody is at the same level as the Mad Bomber. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

They should name a school after the ref that didn't throw a flag when CW used an illegal punt formation against the Drillers in the 2010 VC game.

TeddyKGB

knightsrule04

Clovis North
Clovis East
Fresno High
Roosevelt
Hoover
Bullard

The Anthilllegend

True, but how far do all of those schools have to go to their "home" stadium? Generally a couple miles at most? Bullard has 6+ miles depending on what their "home" was at the time (McLane/Ratclife/Chukchansi). I've also heard that FUSD, in the 60s, promised Bullard a stadium...and I for one am SHOCKED they never followed through. In any case, it's just one in the long list of issues that Bullard overcame to have lots of success since 2000.

knightsrule04

anthilllegend

Probably should have been the Highlanders and Roosevelt sharing McLane Stadium. With Edison and Fresno High playing at Ratcliffe or the Chuk.  And, Hoover and the Knights alternating dates at the "never built" Bullard Stadium.  Instead the district went 40 years without building an on campus football stadium (McLane, 1959 & Sunnyside, 1999.)

The Anthilllegend

anthilllegend

izne1home

Quote from: anthilllegend on February 26, 2024, 09:31:58 PMProbably should have been the Highlanders and Roosevelt sharing McLane Stadium. With Edison and Fresno High playing at Ratcliffe or the Chuk.  And, Hoover and the Knights alternating dates at the "never built" Bullard Stadium.  Instead the district went 40 years without building an on campus football stadium (McLane, 1959 & Sunnyside, 1999.)

The Anthilllegend

Bullard is landlocked.  Better to take over the FMFCD ponding basin next to Hoover and build a subsurface stadium like Fresno State.  Minimal grading required.  Of course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 08:24:17 AMOf course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 

just as tough as when the Clovis Cowboys had to share their stadium with the Penny Loafer wearing country clubbers from Clovis West

TeddyKGB

steve-o

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 08:24:17 AMBullard is landlocked.  Better to take over the FMFCD ponding basin next to Hoover and build a subsurface stadium like Fresno State.  Minimal grading required.  Of course, having to share anything with the polyester leisure suit-wearing Larry's from Hoover would be a tough pill to swallow for the Bullard boys. 
This was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.
if your not cheating your not trying!!

steve-o

TeddyKGB

Quote from: steve-o on February 27, 2024, 12:30:41 PMThis was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.

Was it lack of funding?

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: steve-o on February 27, 2024, 12:30:41 PMThis was the plan many years ago and the blue prints were created but it never came to fruition.

Really?  I'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 

Not surprised it didn't come together.  FMFCD is pretty stingy with its basins and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD.  Baseball diamonds are one thing, but permanent bleachers and playing surface that could not be submerged is another. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 01:38:53 PMI'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 
 and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD

I am not surprised that FUSD could not make it happen, if they are just half as bad at negotiating as the KHSD people they are terrible. The fahkin idiots at KHSD can't even get high school football games up at Bakersfield College. I have no doubt that when they buy land for a new school they pay an absurd amount

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

Yah, I always have mixed emotions about the Bakersfield set-up. Everyone has their own stadium but rarely is the playing surface quality and they typically don't have an all-weather track. Here in Visalia, we have 2 quality stadiums and the two schools that don't have them at least have a pretty good track facility mini-stadium with a quality playing surface. I'm assuming that is preferable to having no decent grass anywhere on campus like you see in Bakersfield.

Darth Backer

ExCoach

Quote from: izne1home on February 26, 2024, 10:42:20 AMProbably should have designed a stadium at East.  Maybe it's not too late.  If they add one at the new South, CUSD will have 6 for 3 but that's halfway to Pine Flat.  Otherwise, it's 6 for 2 almost every week and both natural grass stadiums will get chewed up.

I've heard that Clovis South will have a large events center (5000 capacity) and not a stadium

ExCoach

TeddyKGB

Darth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:
1) The varsity teams will practice on them so the wear and tear is significant
2) the KHSD's Maintenance and Operations department has strangle hold on the school sites. To get anything done requisition from the site must be put in then the M&O will tend to any ground keeping, and athletic facilities are not high on the priority list.

I don't know why the lack of all-weather tracks I believe the school has to raise the money if they want those "extras". As with most things the KHSD has a terrible business model.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 27, 2024, 03:09:38 PMDarth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:
2) the KHSD's Maintenance and Operations department has strangle hold on the school sites. To get anything done requisition from the site must be put in then the M&O will tend to any ground keeping, and athletic facilities are not high on the priority list.

I don't know why the lack of all-weather tracks I believe the school has to raise the money if they want those "extras". As with most things the KHSD has a terrible business model.

Quote from: ExCoach on February 27, 2024, 02:17:52 PMI've heard that Clovis South will have a large events center (5000 capacity) and not a stadium

I'm sure it is very well thought out.  CUSD's demographic and facility planners usually hit the nail on the head. 

izne1home

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 27, 2024, 03:09:38 PMDarth couple reasons for the crappy playing surface:

In Visalia, teams are not allowed to step foot on stadium grass. As a result, we are typically on par with Clovis Unified for the best actual real grass playing surfaces around, I believe Sanger and a few others obviously don't touch their stadiums as well unless it's a game.

Darth Backer

steve-o

Quote from: izne1home on February 27, 2024, 01:38:53 PMReally?  I'd love to have seen those plans and been in the room when FUSD tried to negotiate with FMFCD. 

Not surprised it didn't come together.  FMFCD is pretty stingy with its basins and I'm not sure FUSD could go toe to toe with FMFCD.  Baseball diamonds are one thing, but permanent bleachers and playing surface that could not be submerged is another. 

I was told it was signed off by the flood district.....it was an FUSD issue.

steve-o

izne1home

Quote from: steve-o on February 28, 2024, 03:23:52 PMI was told it was signed off by the flood district.....it was an FUSD issue.

I'm sure Flood Control signed off 'with conditions.'  The cost of those conditions were probably staggering.  I'm sure they wanted FUSD to deepen the east end of the basin, etc. The storm capacity of the basin would have to be maintained at 100-year flood levels.

Interesting.  We have ponding basins because Fresno is flat.  Without some design, flood water would just accumulate and damage property.  We have to design gradual slopes in lots, roads, etc., to get the stormwater to move. Next time you're in a town with natural terrain and elevation, try to find a flood control basin.  There aren't any.  It's just a blight on us flatlanders. 

izne1home

izne1home

What...  nobody is interested in the engineering behind ponding basins?

izne1home

CWClassof2007

Quote from: izne1home on February 26, 2024, 11:34:15 AMClovis South.  Clinton and Highland, BFE. 
Any idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.

CWClassof2007

izne1home

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on March 01, 2024, 07:33:46 AMAny idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.

On proximity, there will be a lot of high-density residential developments in that area in the coming decades.  Probably more dense than CW, CN, and Buchanan neighborhoods.  I remember when CW was being built back in the late 70s.  It was out in the middle of nowhere - halfway to Fort Washington which was halfway to Millerton Lake.

CUSD goes with animals native to or associated with the area - Cougars, Golden Eages, Bears, Timberwolves, and Broncos.  I'll guess Bulls, Badgers, Beavers*, or Bobcats.

* Teddy's personal favorite.

izne1home

knightsrule04

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on March 01, 2024, 07:33:46 AMAny idea what their mascot is going to be? I'd shocked if it's not an animal like the rest of the district. It feels like that's super close to Clovis East but it about the same distance that Buchanan, Clovis West & Clovis North are to each other.
What I heard about a decade ago working at a financial institution in Clovis was that they would be the Fighting Irish (not kidding). Apparently the administrator who agreed to lend his name to the "educational complex" or whatever made that a condition of the naming. Now, maybe things have changed since then. And I don't recall who told me, but they didn't appear to be pulling my leg.

knightsrule04

izne1home

Quote from: knightsrule04 on March 02, 2024, 07:50:40 PMWhat I heard about a decade ago working at a financial institution in Clovis was that they would be the Fighting Irish (not kidding). Apparently the administrator who agreed to lend his name to the "educational complex" or whatever made that a condition of the naming. Now, maybe things have changed since then. And I don't recall who told me, but they didn't appear to be pulling my leg.

It's the Terry Bradley Educational Complex.  He didn't strike me as the type of guy who would condition the use of his name, but if he did, probably not Fighting Irish.  Probably a longstanding internal joke. 

Besides, if we cannot use names like Redskins or Squaws, how could we use Fighting Irish? 

izne1home

knightsrule04

Quote from: izne1home on March 03, 2024, 02:29:58 PMIt's the Terry Bradley Educational Complex.  He didn't strike me as the type of guy who would condition the use of his name, but if he did, probably not Fighting Irish.  Probably a longstanding internal joke. 

Besides, if we cannot use names like Redskins or Squaws, how could we use Fighting Irish? 
Yeah possibly. It's been a while and I'm getting old so my memory might be a little foggy.

knightsrule04

izne1home

Quote from: knightsrule04 on March 03, 2024, 06:09:31 PMYeah possibly. It's been a while and I'm getting old so my memory might be a little foggy.

Just wait...

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Darth Backer on February 28, 2024, 10:02:31 AMIn Visalia, teams are not allowed to step foot on stadium grass. As a result, we are typically on par with Clovis Unified for the best actual real grass playing surfaces around, I believe Sanger and a few others obviously don't touch their stadiums as well unless it's a game.

in the KHSD the football team not only practice in the stadium, they bands do as well.

I thought the CW Boosters ladies auxiliary  was already used Beavers as their mascot?

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 04, 2024, 12:13:27 PMin the KHSD the football team not only practice in the stadium, they bands do as well.

How big are the bands and associated squads (cheer, pep, rally, letter, flag, baton, dance...) in KHSD?

In CUSD, it averages about 3,000 kids per school. 

izne1home

TeddyKGB

I'm not sure some, I couldn't even give a good guess.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 04, 2024, 01:19:49 PMI'm not sure some, I couldn't even give a good guess.

A good rule of thumb is the number of buses it takes for them to get to a competition x 60.  Also, the number of 18-wheelers must be taken into account if you include support crews (band dads).  Each 18-wheeler is good for about 24-30 band dads humping equipment.

CUSD measures in fleets.   

izne1home

TeddyKGB

so which is lower on the food chain, band or soccer?

TeddyKGB

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 05, 2024, 10:12:29 AMso which is lower on the food chain, band or soccer?

Depending on your demographics, band is top of the food chain.

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

in todays day and age I am not surprised...

TeddyKGB