News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Division One Playoffs Simplified

Started by Valley Insider, October 21, 2011, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valley Insider

1-2: BHS and Clovis - Will depend on Point differential in Centennial Game
3: Edison if they win out
4: Tulare if they win out
5. Centennial if the beat everyone but BHS, and dont get crushed(Gets the nod over Central because of point differential vs. Clovis) - Bullard could move here if they win out impressively
6-7: Central and Bullard - Could depend on point differential in CW game
8. Liberty - Locked in here
9-10: Winner of CW/Buchanan game gets 9, loser gets 10
11: Stockdale - Locked in by virtue of loss to Buchanan. Could jump to a ten if CW loses to Buchanan and they win more games then CW
12. El D if they want it
13. CE if they want it

Valley Insider

diesel

Quote from: Valley Insider on October 21, 2011, 12:04:53 PM
11: Stockdale - Locked in by virtue of loss to Buchanan. Could jump to a ten if CW loses to Buchanan and they win more games then CW
12. El D if they want it
13. CE if they want it

How many of these teams have .500 rules?  I know El D needs to win 3 of their last 4 in order to go....district rule in Visalia.

diesel

tru guru

Quote from: Valley Insider on October 21, 2011, 12:04:53 PM
1-2: BHS and Clovis - Will depend on Point differential in Centennial Game
3: Edison if they win out
4: Tulare if they win out
5. Centennial if the beat everyone but BHS, and dont get crushed(Gets the nod over Central because of point differential vs. Clovis) - Bullard could move here if they win out impressively
6-7: Central and Bullard - Could depend on point differential in CW game
8. Liberty - Locked in here
12. El D if they want it
13. CE if they want it

I agree, except I would flop Tulare and Bullard.  I don't think they will give Tulare higher than a 6 with a signature win vs. the 13 seed in D-1.

tru guru

UnbiasedOne

Here is an even simpler idea; CE doesn't go at all because they shouldn't, El D won't likely be .500 so it settles that, Stockdale if they stick to their "school rule" of .500 or better for the playoffs (which is now open for "special circumstances") is out, CW and Buchanan appear to be heading to 3-7 records at absolute best and shouldn't be in either.  Now we are down to 8 teams, no byes, problem solved!  Get it on!
I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane while people behind me are going insane!  I'm an A******!

UnbiasedOne

I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane while people behind me are going insane!  I'm an A******!

flexmac3

Quote from: UnbiasedOne on October 21, 2011, 12:49:27 PM
Here is an even simpler idea; CE doesn't go at all because they shouldn't, El D won't likely be .500 so it se :u:ttles that, Stockdale if they stick to their "school rule" of .500 or better for the playoffs (which is now open for "special circumstances") is out, CW and Buchanan appear to be heading to 3-7 records at absolute best and shouldn't be in either.  Now we are down to 8 teams, no byes, problem solved!  Get it on!
totally agree

flexmac3

Coach9

Excellent Unbiased, absolutely correct.  :u:

Coach9

diesel

Quote from: tru guru on October 21, 2011, 12:23:57 PM
I agree, except I would flop Tulare and Bullard.  I don't think they will give Tulare higher than a 6 with a signature win vs. the 13 seed in D-1.

You make a valid point but you may recall that a signature win over the #4 seed last year got Tulare a 6 seed......

diesel

Coach Scudder

Quote from: diesel on October 21, 2011, 02:14:01 PM
You make a valid point but you may recall that a signature win over the #4 seed last year got Tulare a 6 seed......

Sometimes still comes down to strength of schedule.

Coach Scudder

diesel

Quote from: Coach Scudder on October 21, 2011, 02:16:15 PM
Sometimes still comes down to strength of schedule.

Oh, I agree but last year the reason was SOS and not a league champ.....league champ should count for something this year....the EYL has some teams playing well this year.....not on par with all of D1 but still playing well....

diesel

Coach Scudder

Agreed, I think TU should get a much higher seed this year than last, especially since they are a MUCH better team than last year.   :u:

Coach Scudder

diesel

Quote from: Coach Scudder on October 21, 2011, 02:30:12 PM
Agreed, I think TU should get a much higher seed this year than last, especially since they are a MUCH better team than last year.   :u:

A four seed seems reasonable but one could make a solid arguement for 5 or even 6 depending on how the rest of D1 finishes out.....

diesel

tru guru

Quote from: diesel on October 21, 2011, 02:14:01 PM

Forgot about that.  Perhaps they will reward league champs this season and seed Tulare higher, or maybe Sunnyside will roll Bullard and Edison and make it a lot easier...............Lots of games to play before all this shakes out, obviously.

tru guru

fogdogs

I'm not sure tu gets higher than a five seed. While the eyl is a much better league this year their signature wins are vs a d3 team and a d1 team that has yet to win a game, and none of their wins are against a team that will be seeded no 1 in their respective divisions.

fogdogs

jeraf

Quote from: UnbiasedOne on October 21, 2011, 12:49:27 PM
Here is an even simpler idea; CE doesn't go at all because they shouldn't, El D won't likely be .500 so it settles that, Stockdale if they stick to their "school rule" of .500 or better for the playoffs (which is now open for "special circumstances") is out, CW and Buchanan appear to be heading to 3-7 records at absolute best and shouldn't be in either.  Now we are down to 8 teams, no byes, problem solved!  Get it on!

UBO based on your theory of 8 D1 Teams....if they had to seed them, here is what the brackets would look like........IMO after the season is over. 

#1 Bakersfield
#8 Bullard

#5 Centennial
#4 Edison

#3 Central
#6 Tulare Union

#7 Liberty-Bako
#2 Clovis

jeraf

diesel

Quote from: fogdogs on October 21, 2011, 04:18:53 PM
I'm not sure tu gets higher than a five seed. While the eyl is a much better league this year their signature wins are vs a d3 team and a d1 team that has yet to win a game, and none of their wins are against a team that will be seeded no 1 in their respective divisions.

You may be right depending on how the other teams in D1 fair records wise.  The seeding committee may use comparative scores with common opponents as well....Central and Tulare both played El D this year.....that could be a factor in who is seeded where.

diesel

fogdogs

Quote from: diesel on October 21, 2011, 05:45:17 PM
You may be right depending on how the other teams in D1 fair records wise.  The seeding committee may use comparative scores with common opponents as well....Central and Tulare both played El D this year.....that could be a factor in who is seeded where.

i'm not sure comparative scores is a criteria, but i could be wrong. a couple things that could work in tu's favor is that central has been blown out and has two losses already this year, and centennial also has two losses, so perhaps as high as four, but i don't think they go any higher than that. a four through six seed is probably the best they will get

fogdogs

eartotheground

why the elitist attitude all of a sudden. If only 8 teams play in the d1 playoff, the section will get absolutely no consideration from the southern section voters for the state bowl games. Also, didn't 2-8 clovis almost take down Buchanan 3 years ago in the first round, didn't 3-7 Centennial beat an undefeated #1 ranked Buchanan team two years ago and then go to the championship game against Bullard in 2009.  Didn't 3-7 Clovis East roll a 9-1 Tulare Union last year. THEY RULE STATES EVERYONE CAN BE IN THE PLAYOFFS IF THEY WISH, it was that way when some of the teams that are on top now were scraping the bottom.  Now that we have a new set of teams at the bottom, lets see what they can do vs. the new kids on the block.  If you want to get some real recognition, the CIF needs to add 3 more teams to division 1 (Memorial, Clovis North and Garces) and make it a full 16 team bracket.  The more the merrier for the central section. 

eartotheground

CWClassof2007

Quote from: fogdogs on October 21, 2011, 06:16:11 PM
i'm not sure comparative scores is a criteria, but i could be wrong. a couple things that could work in tu's favor is that central has been blown out and has two losses already this year, and centennial also has two losses, so perhaps as high as four, but i don't think they go any higher than that. a four through six seed is probably the best they will get
If these two schools are neck & neck for a higher seed & they both win out Central gets the edge based on strength of schedule in my opinion.

CWClassof2007

flexmac3

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on October 21, 2011, 07:38:30 PM
If these two schools are neck & neck for a higher seed & they both win out Central gets the edge based on strength of schedule in my opinion.
Centennial plays BHS, if your position is for winning out means anything, the Hawks beating a #1 BHS would have a lot of weight. Central really doesn't have a big win.

flexmac3

CWClassof2007

Quote from: flexmac3 on October 21, 2011, 07:45:38 PM
Centennial plays BHS, if your position is for winning out means anything, the Hawks beating a #1 BHS would have a lot of weight. Central really doesn't have a big win.

I was talking about Tulare & Central not Centennial.

CWClassof2007

flexmac3

flexmac3

kill4speed

If centennial beats Bako then they deserve to be ranked higher....it not they fall to 7-3 and all things being equal and everyone wins out ....that's an 8-2 central with one loss in the section....compared to a 7-3 centennial with two losses in the section

kill4speed

kill4speed

N comparitive scores are 4th quarter score before late td's made it look better

kill4speed

Loyal14u

# 1 seed....Bakersfield ( Have not seen them played, but year after year they are the best coached team)
# 2 seed....Clovis (Tough D, playing with confidence should win TRAC)
# 3 seed...Edison (Clicking on all cylinders right now, do not want to play these guys in playoffs)
# 4 seed...Bullard (Played ET to the wire, very good offense, DL is legit)
# 5 seed...Tulare (Still don't know if they can play with the big boys until proven otherwise)
# 6 seed...Central (Never know what your getting with these guys, one friday they look like state contenders, next they look like Buchanan)
# 7 seed...Centennial (Last seconds lose vs Clovis changes everything)
# 8 seed...Clovis West (Offense avg 400 yards a game but the D is horrible)
# 9 seed...Liberty (Shut down the running game and you shut them down, 2 yrs in a row vs CE????)
# 10 seed...Clovis East ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 11 seed...Stockdale ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 12 seed...El D ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 13 seed..Buchanan ( Should not be in the playoffs)

1)Bako
Bye

8)CW
9)Liberty

4)Bullard
5)Tulare

3)ET
6)Central

2)Clovis
7)Centennial

Loyal14u

flexmac3

Quote from: Loyal14u on October 22, 2011, 01:27:15 PM
# 1 seed....Bakersfield ( Have not seen them played, but year after year they are the best coached team)
# 2 seed....Clovis (Tough D, playing with confidence should win TRAC)
# 3 seed...Edison (Clicking on all cylinders right now, do not want to play these guys in playoffs)
# 4 seed...Bullard (Played ET to the wire, very good offense, DL is legit)
# 5 seed...Tulare (Still don't know if they can play with the big boys until proven otherwise)
# 6 seed...Central (Never know what your getting with these guys, one friday they look like state contenders, next they look like Buchanan)
# 7 seed...Centennial (Last seconds lose vs Clovis changes everything)
# 8 seed...Clovis West (Offense avg 400 yards a game but the D is horrible)
# 9 seed...Liberty (Shut down the running game and you shut them down, 2 yrs in a row vs CE????)
# 10 seed...Clovis East ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 11 seed...Stockdale ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 12 seed...El D ( Should not be in the playoffs)
# 13 seed..Buchanan ( Should not be in the playoffs)

Right now CW does not belong in the playoff, there are only 8 teams deserving. CW competes well down the home stretch then they should be in the playoff.
If CW wins out they will be higher than an #8 seed
If TU wins out, they will get at least a #3 or #4  seed, the CIF will assure that.

flexmac3

Loyal14u

# 4 seed at best for TU
Bako will win their league & get the #1
Clovis will win their league & get the #2
ET will win their league & get the #3
CMAC over EYL

Loyal14u

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote3-7 Centennial beat an undefeated #1 ranked Buchanan team two years ago and then go to the championship game against Bullard in 2009.

Incorrect. They were 6-4 that year.

Teams that are 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, even 4-6 should not be participating in the post season. In my opinion the rule should be teams need to finish .500 or better.
I know about Clovis East over Tulare and the Independence Falcons fine run last season but I believe the post season should be a reward for the regular season play.

GoldenHawksFootball

flexmac3

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on October 22, 2011, 02:22:41 PM
Incorrect. They were 6-4 that year.

Teams that are 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, even 4-6 should not be participating in the post season. In my opinion the rule should be teams need to finish .500 or better.
I know about Clovis East over Tulare and the Independence Falcons fine run last season but I believe the post season should be a reward for the regular season play.

I agree GHF, but these league are all screwed up, Independence in the SWYL is ridiculous, even if Independence wanted it that way, they were not ready.
Plus there are other leagues that have schools in at least three different divisions, see EYL.

flexmac3