News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Saving money and improving Internet and phone service.

Started by CNFan, August 07, 2012, 07:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNFan

thought I would post this when I saw the debate about directv and dish network.

Ok...So I realized last year that me and the wife were paying almost 85 dollars a month for our land line phone and crappy DSL service. It took forever to upload my films to Hudl...etc

Our landline telephone did not even have long distance on it and we were paying around 39 dollars a month for it. but we had to keep the number because the wife has older relatives from mexico who call that number. I couldn't convince the wife to drop it..something about old ladies remember that number and wont remember the new one....cant win that battle..so I moved on.   :d:

Our DSL was 328K upload and 1MB download for almost 45 dollars a month :d:

Both services we got from the local ATT phone company.

I was not happy............ :x

I was made aware of the new fiber Comcast Cable modem service in the fresno/clovis area where we could get 1MB upload/6MB download for about 55 bucks a month. So I wanted to get this.....but the wife said we needed to save money....not increase our bill!!!

I looked around and realized that there were a couple of VOIP (voice over IP) phone providers that offer internet phone service.....In fact, my mom has Vonage..but she pays almost 40 a month for that service.

I looked around for cheap VOIP service and Magicjack was listed for 75 bucks A YEAR! (about 12 bucks a month!) Wow..super cheap! I was suspicious at first. I immediately thought about things like crappy services, spotty performance, or massive upfront equipment fees. The other main issue was whether we could transfer our existing phone number over to MagicJack...since I had heard you could not do this when I heard about this service a year or so ago.

after doing some research....I learned that now you CAN transfer your phone number over to Magicjack. There are NO equipment costs beyond the 10 dollar Ethernet adapter...and if you have a decent IP connection,the service was pretty good.

So I ordered it a few months back and also ordered the Comcast cable modem service.

Cable modem was installed and it is amazingly fast.  The Magicjack adapter came in the mail a couple days later and I hooked it up and have been using it for over 6 months with no problems at all.  :u:

First impressions?  The MagicJack is a great service if you have good bandwidth.  I tried it on the ADSL and it was choppy and voice quality sucked!  I put it on the fast cable modem and it is crystal clear!!  No dropped calls...no distortion....nothing! :u:

Final thoughts?

I now pay 55 a month for 1MB up/6MB down Cable modem. :u:
I paid 85 bucks for an entire years worth of service from MagicJack with UNLIMITED local and long distance...free voicemail.etc..with our same number transferred over. :u: :u: :u: :u:

Bonus...you can pay 120 dollars for 5 YEARS worth of service with MagicJack if you like... :shock: :u: :shock: :u:

Just thought you guys would like that info.... :)

I pay almost 20 bucks less a month and now have better phone service (unlimited long distance) and amazingly fast Internet service!  :D

CNFan