News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Interesting article

Started by TeddyKGB, April 22, 2024, 09:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB

PipersPit4evr

I'm convinced parents are 80% of the root cause of issues educators/coaches are facing today. Lack of respect for authority, self-centered self/focused perspectives, and generally morally void in many areas. (language comes to mind immediately) I made the mistake of sitting in the stands of a middle school football game last season and i walked away with little hope for our society. I was blown away with the extreme foul language, absolute over the top "look at me" attitude and just general lack of even a slither of sportsmanship. I've been around the high school game long enough now to see guys I went to school with cycle their sons through the program. Some act as if they have this great knowledge above and beyond the coach, and I'm like, hey buddy, you didn't even start on the JV team in high school! I've known two student athletes recently who both received D1 athletic scholarships. (in different sports) Both broke school records. Both sets of parents were as nice, supportive and humble as can be. Unfortunately I also know of a set of parents who encouraged their student to be the star, question the coach and had an obsession with breaking records. (going so far as to give a stats update from the stands during games) Despite them paying for college camps and considering it "colleges looking at me", NO SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS. NOT ONE.

PipersPit4evr

TeddyKGB

I would suggest that the number is closer to 95%. We have gone way too far in allowing people to behave like monkeys.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Seems like the same mindset that fosters transfers.  The kids take the heat and pay the price, but it's the parents behind the move.

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on April 23, 2024, 09:57:08 AMSeems like the same mindset that fosters transfers.  The kids take the heat and pay the price, but it's the parents behind the move.

no question, and I would bet that the pattern started way back around high school or further abck

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 23, 2024, 10:36:39 AMno question, and I would bet that the pattern started way back around high school or further abck

Probably elementary school, if not sooner.  Some parents are hardwired that way. You can spot them from 200' at the under-5 church league games.

There is nothing wrong with pushing your kid to reach his/her fullest potential, but in my opinion, that requires some hard life lessons about teamwork, humility, loyalty, sacrifice, losing with dignity, and fighting through adversity.

Maybe we should implement a rule that says if you transfer in high school for athletically-motivated reasons, you must join the Marine Corps immediately upon graduation from high school on a special one-year commitment.  That will erase any bad attitudes before the kid goes into the job market, or enters college. 

Otherwise, college sports as we know it, is ruined forever. 

izne1home

Darth Backer

Oh yah, I've experienced kids that acted like they were doing me a personal favor when they were put into the game to play some defense...

Darth Backer

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on April 23, 2024, 11:09:33 AMProbably elementary school, if not sooner.  Some parents are hardwired that way. You can spot them from 200' at the under-5 church league games.

There is nothing wrong with pushing your kid to reach his/her fullest potential, but in my opinion, that requires some hard life lessons about teamwork, humility, loyalty, sacrifice, losing with dignity, and fighting through adversity.

I was talking to a guy I've known for a while he was telling me that his kid played in a travel ball tourny he then proceeded to tell me how the coach had not used his kid properly, he didn't pitch him, he didn't have him in the correct sport in the outfield, he didn't have him in the correct spot in the batting line up...he mentioned how he "knows" his kid has what it takes to make it, the kid is 12. All I was able to say was oh.

TeddyKGB

RayRea

Travel ball and the pay for play gives parents the idea they have a say in their child's play time.  Thus the creation of thousands of travel ball teams in which kids don't have to compete for a position with possibly not making a team or being 3rd string on a team.  So instead of putting in the work to play parents would rather diminish the coach or the program. 
"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

RayRea

"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

TeddyKGB

Quote from: RayRea on April 23, 2024, 12:37:44 PMTravel ball and the pay for play gives parents the idea they have a say in their child's play time.  Thus the creation of thousands of travel ball teams in which kids don't have to compete for a position with possibly not making a team or being 3rd string on a team.  So instead of putting in the work to play parents would rather diminish the coach or the program. 

That is absolutely the case. This is the same with the 7v7 stuff. What travel ball and 7v7 has brought to the surface are the Charlatans that sell the promise of scholarships and the snake oil salesman that tells parents how they and only they can help bring out the kids full potential. And when that kid does end up with a coach that tells him the truth about his ability he transfers out, be it high school or college.

TeddyKGB

Cristobal

It's as if every kid is being raised with a parent with CIF's mindset these days. It's mind boggling where this mentality came from? I'm about to hit 40 and my generation was not raised this way, must be lots of young parents out there I guess.

Cristobal

TeddyKGB

I believe this mentality stems from the idea that everyone is special and to use a tired cliche entitled. There are people in their 50s raising kids this way

TeddyKGB

izne1home

How much of this entitlement, transfer-portal, NIL nonsense would be resolved if we had 12-24 months of compulsory military service at 18, like Israel? 

Just throw a giant time-out right in the middle of Dad's plan to get you to the NFL, and teach these kids some skills that will get them through life.

izne1home

TeddyKGB

that mandatory military service does that apply to middleclass and upper middle class white kids or just lower income minorities, because judging by how the way the afore mention have behaved I don't think that will fly. But I am all for it.

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 24, 2024, 08:25:14 AMthat mandatory military service does that apply to middleclass and upper middle class white kids or just lower income minorities, because judging by how the way the afore mention have behaved I don't think that will fly. But I am all for it.

This applies across the board. There would be some allowance for physical limitations. Students who drop out or perform poorly in school will go straight into the infantry after an intensified boot camp experience.

izne1home

TeddyKGB

this would fix a lot of issues

TeddyKGB

izne1home

izne1home

TeddyKGB

can you imagine how a blue/green haired she-them or whatever pronoun it assigned to itself would react to being berated by a drill sergeant or an offensive line coach?

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 24, 2024, 04:37:01 PMcan you imagine how a blue/green haired she-them or whatever pronoun it assigned to itself would react to being berated by a drill sergeant or an offensive line coach?

Oh man, I hadn't thought about that.  Line them up, shave their heads, and drop their pants. 

My guess is after one year of forced reality and military-grade discipline, any cases of gender dysphoria would be cured.

Think of all the social ills we could cure by implementing this simple policy...

izne1home

TeddyKGB

they would either fall in line or remove themselves from the gene pool, either way problem solved.

TeddyKGB

o-line

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 22, 2024, 09:23:24 AMHopefully high school coaches can incorporate this...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/floor-seats-college-recruiters-pass-160841424.html
Yeah right, parents; Don't tell me how to raise my kids , but I sure as heck will tell you how to coach my kid, what position he should be playing, how I should use him, along with a host of other things I should know what his personal coaches have done to make him better. I smile , shake their hand, and know this kid will transfer by the end of the season, hopefully sooner.
"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be and you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be"   M.L.K.

o-line

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be and you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be"   M.L.K.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: o-line on April 25, 2024, 01:00:49 PMbut I sure as heck will tell you how to coach my kid, what position he should be playing,

this is a huge problem, parents have convinced themselves that they know what's best for their kid but they base that knowledge on a very limited sample. Most parents have one or two really good athletes, but coaches have seen hundreds and thousands of kids so they are much better at evaluating talent. Parents want their kid to fulfill his or their dream of being the star QB, pitcher or point guard and when a coach says its not in the cards they go to "the coach doesn't know" Few are far between are the transfers that actually pan out to be what the parent said and prove the coach wrong

TeddyKGB

izne1home

Quote from: o-line on April 25, 2024, 01:00:49 PMI smile , shake their hand, and know this kid will transfer by the end of the season, hopefully sooner.

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 25, 2024, 01:30:34 PMthis is a huge problem

In my opinion, it's a problem because the parents can now openly transfer.  If that transfer window was closed, and that parent's kid was absolutely going to be coached by O-Line one way or the other, that parent's attitude might be a little different.  Coaches have always had parents who know better, but now those parents feel emboldened and make threats to transfer.  In most cases, the coaches would probably help them fill out the paperwork.  The relationship is soured, and compounded when the kid gets home and listens to his father berate the coaches the kid looks up to.

Somebody explain to me how any of that is good for the kid. There is so much more a kid can learn from participating in sports and dealing with the adversity their fathers are so eager to eliminate.  This nonsense robs the kids of about 90% of the best life lessons on how to be a man and replaces them with staggeringly bad life lessons on entitlement and how to be a bitch. 

izne1home