News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Buchanan/Transfers etc

Started by Cristobal, March 28, 2024, 07:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eylchamps

I heard a guy say that the coaches expect their kids to be loyal and faithful to their team but the coach is the first to move to another school for more pay and higher division. We create a thread on here every year and we see many of the same schools on that list. This year is no different. So, parents, students and coaches move around for their best interest.
WYL wishes they were the EYL

izne1home

izne1home

Quote from: eylchamps on April 02, 2024, 01:08:56 PMI heard a guy say that the coaches expect their kids to be loyal and faithful to their team but the coach is the first to move to another school for more pay and higher division. We create a thread on here every year and we see many of the same schools on that list. This year is no different. So, parents, students and coaches move around for their best interest.

Are you suggesting that coaches who move for a career advancement justify kids jumping schools?  I'm not clear.

ExCoach

Quote from: Cristobal on April 02, 2024, 12:38:00 PMhttps://www.cifcshome.org/public-transfers

If you review "transfer portal" you will see that there isn't enough evidence to support any DENIED transfer except in the case of SJM. In the slim case they get denied or have a SOP they dont like they are fully eligible to go back to the home school. Most if not all D1 transfer are calculated and there is more of a grad transfer approach I would guess where they know they are going to be eligible and play right away. I have never seen so many "full family moves" in my life and in this economy lol. In short there are no real consequences anymore.

How much do socioeconomic factors and resources play a role in this? If you compare Clovis East Transfers (high approval rate) vs. Edison (majority have a sit out period), there is a major difference. Is it because the families of the students going to CE can afford to rent an apartment, get a lawyer(extreme cases), or facilitate the transfer in other ways that may cost money?

Curious looking at approval rating of Clovis Unified schools vs Fresno Unified...

ExCoach

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on April 02, 2024, 01:11:44 PMWhat is SOP status? 

its that time of the month where your girlfriend is not very useful to you...

izne1home

Quote from: ExCoach on April 02, 2024, 01:19:58 PMHow much do socioeconomic factors and resources play a role in this? If you compare Clovis East Transfers (high approval rate) vs. Edison (majority have a sit out period), there is a major difference. Is it because the families of the students going to CE can afford to rent an apartment, get a lawyer(extreme cases), or facilitate the transfer in other ways that may cost money?

Curious looking at approval rating of Clovis Unified schools vs Fresno Unified...

Good question.  I'm a black and white guy.  The rule should be so clear and obvious that there is zero discretion.  But as it stands, there is a lot of subjectivity which allows FUSD to see things a little differently than CUSD.

Unique to CE, there is a lot of new construction in east Fresno, where there has been little or no growth or population influx in the Edison area.  There are, however, a glut of affordable apartments between Edison and Central and Washington Union.  FUSD might have just got tired of the nonsense. 

But the harsh reality is things are not the same.  Almost everything is more difficult.

izne1home

Quote from: ExCoach on April 02, 2024, 01:22:33 PMSit Out Period

That makes more sense than Teddy's answer.  Thanks.

anthilllegend

The Antill is pretty sure the information imparted to Tee Shepherd was spot on and crystal clear.  Tee (who was at Central the time) wanted to leave early for Notre Dame but because Central had a higher number of units needed to graduate, he would not have graduated by December. He could have stayed at Central and graduated in June or transfer to another school that has fewer graduation/unit requirements.  He chose to return to Washington Union (his original school) where he had enough units to graduate early.  But, he ran into an eligibility issue (assume it had to do with a full family move) at "The Union" that nullified his senior season. He chose to remain at Washington Union and just attend school in order to graduate and leave for Notre Dame in January (of which he did). While he had the GPA and HS diploma in hand...(according to the ND site NDinsider.com) Tee had issues with a qualifying SAT/ACT score...and was forced to return to a JC (Holme Community College in Miss.). Tee then transferred to Ole Miss...and left the team after one season.  Tee was a great kid...who faced struggles with a hearing issue, that made verbal communications (on field) difficult, when adjustments and coverage changes were needed (pre-snap).  He was a magnificent "one on one" cover guy...but at the collegiate level, sometimes you have to jump out of calls via verbal communication.  In conclusion, Tee did not get bad information (the options were crystal clear)...and he, along with his family made their choice (go to the "Union" and sit out his senior season, graduate early and then leave for ND early).  No bad advice conspiracy theory here.

The Anthilllegend 

izne1home

That all sounds right.  Thanks for reminding me.  I also seem to recall that Central had more programs for hearing impaired students which prompted the original transfer.

I always felt like the kid was getting tossed around a little.  There were a lot of people banking on his success at the next level. 

Bronco

Quote from: anthilllegend on April 02, 2024, 01:57:53 PMThe Antill is pretty sure the information imparted to Tee Shepherd was spot on and crystal clear.  Tee (who was at Central the time) wanted to leave early for Notre Dame but because Central had a higher number of units needed to graduate, he would not have graduated by December. He could have stayed at Central and graduated in June or transfer to another school that has fewer graduation/unit requirements.  He chose to return to Washington Union (his original school) where he had enough units to graduate early.  But, he ran into an eligibility issue (assume it had to do with a full family move) at "The Union" that nullified his senior season. He chose to remain at Washington Union and just attend school in order to graduate and leave for Notre Dame in January (of which he did). While he had the GPA and HS diploma in hand...(according to the ND site NDinsider.com) Tee had issues with a qualifying SAT/ACT score...and was forced to return to a JC (Holme Community College in Miss.). Tee then transferred to Ole Miss...and left the team after one season.  Tee was a great kid...who faced struggles with a hearing issue, that made verbal communications (on field) difficult, when adjustments and coverage changes were needed (pre-snap).  He was a magnificent "one on one" cover guy...but at the collegiate level, sometimes you have to jump out of calls via verbal communication.  In conclusion, Tee did not get bad information (the options were crystal clear)...and he, along with his family made their choice (go to the "Union" and sit out his senior season, graduate early and then leave for ND early).  No bad advice conspiracy theory here.

The Anthilllegend 
Sounds to me like he was trained to bail out on every situation he ever encountered. I have NO knowledge about the situation but it sure sounds to me that he left everybody behind every time he thought he  would get something better out of it. Again - I do not know anything about the situation but when a guy  just keeps bailing out on his team mates it makes me question  his loyalty  2 anybody but himself. I guess thats  why I dont think I could  Coach these spoiled little kids these days

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Bronco on April 02, 2024, 08:49:30 PMSounds to me like he was trained to bail out on every situation he ever encountered. I have NO knowledge about the situation but it sure sounds to me that he left everybody behind every time he thought he  would get something better out of it. Again - I do not know anything about the situation but when a guy  just keeps bailing out on his team mates it makes me question  his loyalty  2 anybody but himself. I guess thats  why I dont think I could  Coach these spoiled little kids these days

I see this situation the same, its a fine line where a kid leaves a situation that is not conducive to his talents and a kid that just wants what he sees as the easiest route for him. Aside from lack of loyalty there is no grit.

anthilllegend

Bronco...let the Anthill reiterate.  Tee Shepherd was an amazingly gifted athlete.  That stands to reason, not just anyone gets scholarships from Notre Dame and Ole Miss (and there were 10's of other offers as well). So was he being pull in many directions.....Yes!  Was he "trained" to bail out of situations...the Anthill doesn't believe so.  It's more a case of his talent providing him with so many options that it led to a nomadic career.  The Tee Shepherd story is not that of a cantankerous, pretentious person.  He was a happy, easy going kid who loved to play football...that ran into a "time squeeze" scenario to get to South Bend, Indiana by January of his senior year.  The conundrum, involved 2 HS's with different graduation requirements, the CIF's transfer ruling, the NCAA's minimum standard for academics, plus Notre Dames even higher academic requirements.  Put that stress on top of the fact he was hearing impaired and the equation for a happy outcome was minimal at best.  That said, he was the kind of kid any coach would want on his football team.  But, sometimes in life, your gift is your curse.

The Anthilllegend

TeddyKGB

Quote from: anthilllegend on April 03, 2024, 08:37:20 AMBut, sometimes in life, your gift is your curse.

izne this is what the CW mom said about her DD's

Darth Backer

Quote from: anthilllegend on April 02, 2024, 01:57:53 PMThe Antill is pretty sure the information imparted to Tee Shepherd was spot on and crystal clear.  Tee (who was at Central the time) wanted to leave early for Notre Dame but because Central had a higher number of units needed to graduate, he would not have graduated by December. He could have stayed at Central and graduated in June or transfer to another school that has fewer graduation/unit requirements.  He chose to return to Washington Union (his original school) where he had enough units to graduate early.  But, he ran into an eligibility issue (assume it had to do with a full family move) at "The Union" that nullified his senior season. He chose to remain at Washington Union and just attend school in order to graduate and leave for Notre Dame in January (of which he did). While he had the GPA and HS diploma in hand...(according to the ND site NDinsider.com) Tee had issues with a qualifying SAT/ACT score...and was forced to return to a JC (Holme Community College in Miss.). Tee then transferred to Ole Miss...and left the team after one season.  Tee was a great kid...who faced struggles with a hearing issue, that made verbal communications (on field) difficult, when adjustments and coverage changes were needed (pre-snap).  He was a magnificent "one on one" cover guy...but at the collegiate level, sometimes you have to jump out of calls via verbal communication.  In conclusion, Tee did not get bad information (the options were crystal clear)...and he, along with his family made their choice (go to the "Union" and sit out his senior season, graduate early and then leave for ND early).  No bad advice conspiracy theory here.

The Anthilllegend 

In my humble opinion, someone did that kid a disservice by playing him on defense. If you are hearing impaired, you are going to absolutely struggle playing in most defensive schemes. Especially at the D1 level at Central. You sure as heck can't play D1 college football if you can't make verbal coverage checks.

anthilllegend

There were no issues at Central.  Tee was the lock down corner...and the Grizzlies were a primarily man coverage team.  So one on one coverage was no problem.  As Darth stated the ability to hear coverage and alert calls due to alignment and motions, may have become an issue in stadiums with 70,000+ fans making a lot of noise.  He was born to play cornerback...and was the #6 ranked CB in the state and #32 in the nation.  Tee was a 4-star recruit. In comparison, Central product Jaylon Johnson was the #12 ranked CB in California (played at University of Utah and currently a Chicago Bear) both were 4-star recruits and both were about 6-0/6-1 and 195-200 lbs. (in college)  The Grizz have been blessed with lots of talented secondary players over the years.

The Anthilllegend

TeddyKGB

when Rey Reyes was at Edison those kids where wearing Black and Yellow

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 03, 2024, 09:31:30 AMizne this is what the CW mom said about her DD's

I think so.  I couldn't hear too well when she was talking...

the football guy

Quote from: izne1home on April 02, 2024, 12:08:30 PMAs I recall, it almost cost Tee Shepherd a scholarship to Notre Dame.  He got bad advice from his entourage. 
Your way off with that one!!!!! Tee couldnt get enrolled at ND so he went JC in Mississippi then went to Ol Miss.

I remember When Central got a influx of transfer, people said they were recruiting, When All the CN kids left to Buchanan people said they were recruiting and now that kids are going to CE they must be recruiting.. Crazy takes on this type of stuff

izne1home

Quote from: the football guy on April 08, 2024, 02:14:13 PMYour way off with that one!!!!! Tee couldnt get enrolled at ND so he went JC in Mississippi then went to Ol Miss.

There was concern that ND would revoke the scholarship after it was decided he had to sit out his senior year.  It didn't and Tee enrolled in the spring of 2012.  He was unenrolled a few weeks later.

More recently, https://www.onefootdown.com/2021/1/30/22257435/tee-shepard-former-notre-dame-player-arrested-in-miami
https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade/video-shows-tourists-targeted-by-armed-robber-in-south-beach-suspect-arrested/

It's a very sad but not uncommon story.  He had an army of friends when he had a football career.  Afterward, not so much. 

izne1home