News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Jimmy Mac to FSU

Started by BlueBlood, December 09, 2011, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott VanHoosier

I think you might be jumping to too many conclusions on how great we will be with J Mac at the helm.  Exactly what has he done as o-cord that was so fresh and creative???  He runs a very pro oriented offense just like P Hill preferred and has benefitted from having the very best recruits while at bama.  Everyone tries to compare the bama stats to fsu stats which isn't fair either for a lot of reasons.  An argument against JMac can go back to the regular season game against LSU.  With a heisman finalist they managed 6pts at home.  Don't get me wrong I think JMac would be a great hire but don't expect him to take us to "the promise land" overnight.
"I can eat a box of cookies tonight. Can you do that? No. Because you're nothin' but a fart-faced kid."

Soaring Eagle

Quote from: Scott VanHoosier on December 10, 2011, 09:28:56 AM
I think you might be jumping to too many conclusions on how great we will be with J Mac at the helm.  Exactly what has he done as o-cord that was so fresh and creative???  He runs a very pro oriented offense just like P Hill preferred and has benefitted from having the very best recruits while at bama.  Everyone tries to compare the bama stats to fsu stats which isn't fair either for a lot of reasons.  An argument against JMac can go back to the regular season game against LSU.  With a heisman finalist they managed 6pts at home.  Don't get me wrong I think JMac would be a great hire but don't expect him to take us to "the promise land" overnight.

You are right, he has had better recruits, but he has also had the opportunity to play/coach against some of the best defenses in the country, that helps build his knowledge base and knowledge is power! JMac and P Hill might run the same style offense, but my guess is that it would not be used the same way.  JMac might run a post pattern pass, when P Hill might have picked a run up the gut for the same scenario.

And I think you are right...  looks like it would be a good hire, but the impact might take a little bit of time...

but on the other hand, look at what Harbaugh has done for the 49ers, a complete turn around in so short of a time, especially when no one thought it could be done because of the lockout eliminating so much of the preseason.

As much as I appreciated what Pat Hill has done for Fresno State  :u:  , I must admit I am looking forward to seeing what some fresh blood can bring to our program... I just hope the administration brings in some 'good' fresh blood!   8)
One needs very good eyes if you are going to soar high above your prey!

Threads Hijacked to Date:   2    (Verify with the master of tread hijacking IZ, if you don't believe me!)

wellnow

When J Mac was at Fresno State with Tommy B at the helm the O never looked so good with a win over Georgia Tech in the Spud Bowl. Power struggle all year between Hill and Mac. Finally Mac told Hill you hired me to call the plays either let me do it or replace me. Hill left him alone and them Mac left after the season was over. Tommy B took a step back the next year without him. They lose to Colorado State next year in New Mexico Bowl. With Mac calling the plays Carr should do amazing things.

JakeBaseball

Quote from: Scott VanHoosier on December 10, 2011, 09:28:56 AM
A very pro style offense doesnt mean its not fresh or creative. In 07 Brandstater looked better than ever, and the ways he used Clifton Smith were great

In 08 we returned pretty much everyone on Offense...except for Mac. Brandstater was better in almost every category in 07.

No one knows how he will do as a HC...but I have yet to see anyone better pop up
That just happened

Scott VanHoosier

You guys have to remember he is going to have all of the same challenges that P Hill faced.  He isn't a sexy name that all of a sudden recruits are going to flock to and ignore all the other issues at FSU that P Hill had to deal with.  We need to be realistic, he is a good hire for FSU but comparing him to Harbaugh and talking BCS Is outrageous.  Ask yourself why a seasoned O-cord with a national title to his resume has never been considered for a head coach position at a BCS conference school or hardly any mid-majors for that matter.    The best reason for FSU to hire him is he has a blueprint made by P Hill on how to run a good program at FSU which makes him more familiar with our obstacles and hopefully will help with the transition.
"I can eat a box of cookies tonight. Can you do that? No. Because you're nothin' but a fart-faced kid."

wellnow

Quote from: Scott VanHoosier on December 10, 2011, 11:43:49 AM
Not everyone returned in 08.  You guys are forgetting that the 2007 O-line was the greatest to ever step foot in bulldog stadium which included the very best left guard in the NFL today.  You guys have to remember he is going to have all of the same challenges that P Hill faced.  He isn't a sexy name that all of a sudden recruits are going to flock to and ignore all the other issues at FSU that P Hill had to deal with.  We need to be realistic, he is a good hire for FSU but comparing him to Harbaugh and talking BCS Is outrageous.  Ask yourself why a seasoned O-cord with a national title to his resume has never been considered for a head coach position at a BCS conference school or hardly any mid-majors for that matter.    The best reason for FSU to hire him is he has a blueprint made by P Hill on how to run a good program at FSU which makes him more familiar with our obstacles and hopefully will help with the transition.
I agree talking BCS is outrageous but Hill is the one who talked about that every year. Lets hope Mac comes in and says we will compete, will win whatever league we are in and the rest will take care of it's self. Kind of the Boise State model.

JakeBaseball

Quote from: Scott VanHoosier on December 10, 2011, 11:43:49 AM
You guys have to remember he is going to have all of the same challenges that P Hill faced.  He isn't a sexy name that all of a sudden recruits are going to flock to and ignore all the other issues at FSU that P Hill had to deal with.  We need to be realistic, he is a good hire for FSU but comparing him to Harbaugh and talking BCS Is outrageous.  Ask yourself why a seasoned O-cord with a national title to his resume has never been considered for a head coach position at a BCS conference school or hardly any mid-majors for that matter.    The best reason for FSU to hire him is he has a blueprint made by P Hill on how to run a good program at FSU which makes him more familiar with our obstacles and hopefully will help with the transition.

This is what, his 4th season at Bama? Its not like he has been there for 15 years.....I dont know many OC's who get offered a HC job after being an OC for 2 or 3 years

With that said reports are that he has pulled his name out of the running....its getting interesting
That just happened

eartotheground

There is no way a person who is making over $500,000 a year at Alabama, would leave that security for the financial dissaster Fresno State has become.  The hiring of the new Bulldog HC is not just the changing of the guard, it's part of their plan to balance a very unbalanced AD budget.

Scott VanHoosier

He pulled his name out due to his concern about the athletic budget and its ability to maintain a successful program....go figure

tru guru

The financial quagmire that is FSU, and the state of California in general, will make it next to impossible for the university to attract or pay a quality D-1 coordinator.  The recruiting budget is small-time, as are the facilities and currently the fan base.  FSU is in a position where they need a "sexy" hire that will make a splash and re-enrgize the fans, but financially it is really not an option.  They will need to get lucky with a lower-tier assistant,  IMO.  I agree with those that say it's going to get worse before it gets better.

JakeBaseball

One source is reporting hes out...but other sources are reporting he will still interview.
That just happened

lacity

OriginalCVFan

I reported 2 days ago he was out.   Its going to be Dan Hawkins.

Nobody ever listens to the OCV. 
]

wellnow

Quote from: OriginalCVFan on December 11, 2011, 04:43:22 PM
I reported 2 days ago he was out.   Its going to be Dan Hawkins.

Nobody ever listens to the OCV. 
Mac isn't gone yet. By the way I'm homeless I bet the house that Urban was going to be the next Penn State coach after I got inside info on preps :(
Word is Marriuici may be in the running :huh:

OriginalCVFan

You shouldnt believe everything you read on the preps. 

That was MY information on Penn State, and it came from a very UNSCRUPULOUS real estate agent wanting to get her name in the press.  Guess I was fooled by her good looks, but EVIL intent.

Same thing about Mac, local real estate woman, good looking, but EVIL INTENT, leaked news on house hunting.  Fresno State needs to FIRE Guarantee Real Estate for using this unscrupulous individual who leaks false information for her own gain. 
]

wellnow

Quote from: OriginalCVFan on December 12, 2011, 06:21:51 AM
You shouldnt believe everything you read on the preps. 

That was MY information on Penn State, and it came from a very UNSCRUPULOUS real estate agent wanting to get her name in the press.  Guess I was fooled by her good looks, but EVIL intent.

Same thing about Mac, local real estate woman, good looking, but EVIL INTENT, leaked news on house hunting.  Fresno State needs to FIRE Guarantee Real Estate for using this unscrupulous individual who leaks false information for her own gain. 
Could I get that agents number, need to find a new house, or is she busy working or Mora JR. :)-

OriginalCVFan

I heard the real estate agent that leaked the info in State college is no longer working for her real estate company because Penn State said:  We cant have unscrupulous, open mouthed business associates so either she goes, or they cancelled their arrangement with the real estate company.

Fresno state should make the same  ultimatum to Guarantee Real estate. 
]

linebacker

Mcelwain is the new head coach at......Colorado State.

OriginalCVFan

Bingo.  I said this last week.  Dan Hawkins.
]

OriginalCVFan

]