News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

www.calpreps.com Pre-season Central Section Top 10

Started by Darth Backer, May 10, 2016, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel

Quote from: Darth Backer on May 11, 2016, 11:16:21 AM
Hanford has really ramped-up their preseason schedule playing:

@Buchanan
@Sanger
@Madera
vs. Porterville

They also play in a very competitive league with El D, Redwood, and Lemoore!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: diesel on May 11, 2016, 10:54:17 AM
If the Drillers and the Clovis schools want to knock them down a peg, SCHEDULE them........don't do it on here!

sorry diesel, but that's not the case. While the Drillers and the Clovis schools look to play the best teams in the state that they can Hanford scheduled Buchanan (7-4), Sanger (10-2), Madera (4-6), and Porterville (3-8) to "ramp up" their preseason schedule, two of those teams didn't even have winning records. Who did they play last year izne's alma mater: The Lodi School for the Blind and criminally insane?
Why would the Clovis schools or Bakersfield feel the need to play Hanford.

Darth Backer

When the schedule used to be Kingsburg, Monache the first two games.

Going with Buchanan and Sanger is a "ramp up".

you mad bro?

Hanford deserves a ton of credit for their tremendous season.  They represented our section remarkably.  That said, to think they could be competitive with the big boys in D1 is laughable.  Great small school program, but you can't duplicate the size and speed that the good D1 schools lay out week after week.

diesel

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 11, 2016, 12:04:48 PM
sorry diesel, but that's not the case. While the Drillers and the Clovis schools look to play the best teams in the state that they can Hanford scheduled Buchanan (7-4), Sanger (10-2), Madera (4-6), and Porterville (3-8) to "ramp up" their preseason schedule, two of those teams didn't even have winning records. Who did they play last year izne's alma mater: The Lodi School for the Blind and criminally insane?
Why would the Clovis schools or Bakersfield feel the need to play Hanford.

I thought Buchanan WAS a Clovis school......and Sanger went 10-2......those aren't slouch teams......Madera and Porterville are D3, same as Hanford......which means they are scheduling appropriately for their division.

diesel

Quote from: you mad bro? on May 11, 2016, 01:14:40 PM
Hanford deserves a ton of credit for their tremendous season.  They represented our section remarkably.  That said, to think they could be competitive with the big boys in D1 is laughable.  Great small school program, but you can't duplicate the size and speed that the good D1 schools lay out week after week.

And no one is saying they should......but don't come on here and take offense at their #1 ranking just because they AREN'T D1.......they earned the ranking based on their play and how they finished last year.

Cristobal

No way Hanford can be ranked #1 with the talent lost even with the returning QB. I'm sure they will be strong again this year due to strength of the overall program considering they are back2back D3 champs. Kudos for the schedule updates, I know we are excited to have them visit Tom Flores.

diesel

Quote from: Cristobal on May 11, 2016, 01:30:51 PM
No way Hanford can be ranked #1 with the talent lost even with the returning QB. I'm sure they will be strong again this year due to strength of the overall program considering they are back2back D3 champs. Kudos for the schedule updates, I know we are excited to have them visit Tom Flores.

Until they actually play a game this year, sure they can! LOL!!

you mad bro?

Quote from: diesel on May 11, 2016, 01:24:21 PM
And no one is saying they should......but don't come on here and take offense at their #1 ranking just because they AREN'T D1.......they earned the ranking based on their play and how they finished last year.
I don't think anyone is taking offense at their #1 ranking.  They had a great year and should be ranked highly, particularly if they have many returners.  I just have a hard time with any publication putting a D3 team, no matter how well they performed the previous season, ahead of some of the studs in D1.  In this section, at least.  But, again, until anyone plays a game; the rankings are all for fun anyway.

TeddyKGB

I'm not suggesting that Sanger and Buchanan aren't going to toughen their schedule, nor am I suggesting that Hanford's accomplishments aren't worth of recognition. However, adding two teams that were 7-14 combined is hardly ramping up. And I think its crazy to think they are the #1 team in the entire CV, last year Ridgeview could make that claim because they beat the eventual D1 champs head to head. I agree with you mad, I don't care how do they did last year or how many returners they wont be better than best teams in D1. No one is taking offense, just pointing out why it's silly to believe.

Beercat

I was hoping for Hanford to play Paso Robles this year but there was a scheduling problem so it didn't happen.

Mid size schools such as Hanford or Paso Robles have a limited amount of players, not as easy to replace one of your best players as lets say a football power with 50% or more enrollment. Plus the weekly pounding playing tougher opponents and really bang up a smaller enrollment school. Hanford played no one with a power rating over 13.7 until they played Lemoore week 10. This type of schedule keeps small and mid size schools healthy for the playoffs. Don't know if Hanford could take a weekly pounding and we healthy come the end of the season. I remember on the Central Coast Paso Robles and Atascadero having to deal with Arroyo Grande, before Nipomo high was built. AG had 3200 kids, PR and Atown had around 1250 each  ........... was tough.

Enrollment:
Hanford 1653
Clovis 2657
Clovis West 2331
Buchanan 2412
Bullard 2584
Edison 2202
Liberty 1824
Bako 2764

Something to think about ;)

diesel

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 11, 2016, 03:38:41 PM
I'm not suggesting that Sanger and Buchanan aren't going to toughen their schedule, nor am I suggesting that Hanford's accomplishments aren't worth of recognition. However, adding two teams that were 7-14 combined is hardly ramping up. And I think its crazy to think they are the #1 team in the entire CV, last year Ridgeview could make that claim because they beat the eventual D1 champs head to head. I agree with you mad, I don't care how do they did last year or how many returners they wont be better than best teams in D1. No one is taking offense, just pointing out why it's silly to believe.

In 2012 and 2013 Hanford had a home and away with Central on their schedule. It didn't go well for them but then again they didn't have a state championship caliber team then. One could argue that scheduling THAT game may have been the catalyst for what we've seen the past two seasons......I don't think anyone believes Hanford should be D1. What I'm saying is that putting them at the top of the rankings is a reward for all their hard work. It has no bearing on who they might beat or who might beat them this year. The argument you're making is the reason why CW at 4-6 has been ranked in the top 10 when NO OTHER TEAM in the section would even get mentioned at 4-6........it's just a newspaper ranking and it's all good.......

Sixtynine

Clovis West **should** be the best team in the section the next 2 years.
   - Return QB Adrian Martinez. RB/WR Rodney Wright. Both Helms twins at WR/DB. Both Schramm twins at LB who led team in tackles. All were sophomores last season. Will welcome a JV team that went 10-0 missing all the guys above.

Clovis and Bullard should be right there as well.
   - Clovis gets RB Samir Allen back who missed all last season with injury. All-league type guy. Vidmar rushed for 600 last year too and will be another good piece in the backfield. Defensively will be stout as always.
   - For Bullard, always good to return a QB in Jack Taylor. Have a good group of O Lineman returning. Return both leading tacklers from last year. Need to replace ball carriers though. Im sure they will.

Don't know much about the Bako schools, but I know Liberty lost a lot.

I would guess the Drillers would bounce back with some good JV and Freshmen teams last year.

Oh, and I forgot Centennial. Should be in the mix because their program is greater than De La Salle's.
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Sixtynine

and for the record, Hanford would get smoked by almost all D1 teams

taysdad

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 12, 2016, 11:18:50 AM
Clovis West **should** be the best team in the section the next 2 years.
   - Return QB Adrian Martinez. RB/WR Rodney Wright. Both Helms twins at WR/DB. Both Schramm twins at LB who led team in tackles. All were sophomores last season. Will welcome a JV team that went 10-0 missing all the guys above.

Oh, and I forgot Centennial. Should be in the mix because their program is greater than De La Salle's.

careful, thank kind of talk is likely to draw anthill out

should be in the mix? didn't you hear? the season has been cancelled, centennial already got their rings ordered

Darth Backer

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 12, 2016, 11:20:09 AM
and for the record, Hanford would get smoked by almost all D1 teams

Smoked is a pretty bold statement.  Not that Central is the cream of the crop in D1 but Hanford handled them the last two seasons in the scrimmage.

Sixtynine

Quote from: Darth Backer on May 13, 2016, 08:37:18 AM
Smoked is a pretty bold statement.  Not that Central is the cream of the crop in D1 but Hanford handled them the last two seasons in the scrimmage.

You can always find lower level teams that hang with far superior teams in scrimmages though.

I don't think that's an indicator of anything

Darth Backer

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 13, 2016, 11:19:59 AM
You can always find lower level teams that hang with far superior teams in scrimmages though.

I don't think that's an indicator of anything

They don't scrimmage.  They play a 3 quarter game.

Sixtynine

Again, it's a scrimmage that means 100x more to the lower level team then it does to the D1 team their scrimmaging

Just my personal belief, but Hanford would get handled by most D1 teams in the regular season

diesel

Quote from: Sixtynine on May 13, 2016, 11:28:23 AM
Again, it's a scrimmage that means 100x more to the lower level team then it does to the D1 team their scrimmaging

Just my personal belief, but Hanford would get handled by most D1 teams in the regular season

Losing to a better team and getting "handled" are two very different things......this year we'll get to see how they stack up against a Clovis school (Buchanan) and a very high quality D2 team (Sanger). Regardless of the outcome of those two games, Hanford deserves the #1 ranking RIGHT NOW based on their performance last year.....they're the champs until they ain't no more.....the rankings are not an indication of who might beat who on any given Friday night......my personal opinion is that saying this team would handle them or that team would smoke them is disrespectful to their program and the work they've put in to earn a state championship regardless of the division.....

diesel