News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

World Cup

Started by flexmac3, June 30, 2014, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel

Make the net bigger, shorten the field, hell, throw two balls out there at the same time!! Something to make it more exciting!!

izne1home

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on July 01, 2014, 06:33:51 PM
but man the fans in the room kept going nuts over something, not quite sure what though  :huh:

They're not sure either.  It's just a chain reaction - the same way guys like Obama get elected. 

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote from: diesel on July 01, 2014, 06:44:46 PM
Make the net bigger, shorten the field, hell, throw two balls out there at the same time!! Something to make it more exciting!!

I think 11 players is too many. The real Football plays 11 and there's plenty of scoring. Soccer needs to play 7. I wouldn't pay money to look at grass. Basketball plays 5 on 5 with a ball the same size. They have to dribble with hands opposed to dribbling with feet. They score in the hundreds. Maybe take the goalie out of the game and make the goal much much smaller. Maybe 1/5 the size now. More scoring will be more interesting. Then I think more sponsors might jump on.

amazinballer

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on July 01, 2014, 09:49:49 PM
I think 11 players is too many. The real Football plays 11 and there's plenty of scoring. Soccer needs to play 7. I wouldn't pay money to look at grass. Basketball plays 5 on 5 with a ball the same size. They have to dribble with hands opposed to dribbling with feet. They score in the hundreds. Maybe take the goalie out of the game and make the goal much much smaller. Maybe 1/5 the size now. More scoring will be more interesting. Then I think more sponsors might jump on.

I don't think the big players in European Soccer are worried about needing more sponsorship money

Just_A_Fan

Kind of like double-dodge?  ;)

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: izne1home on July 01, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
They're not sure either.  It's just a chain reaction - the same way guys like Obama get elected. 

Oh, I get it, blind leading the blind  :D :D

TeddyKGB

Something to make it more exciting!!

this is the only way soccer will ever be more exciting:

this is what the participants MUST look like and some slight rule adjustments:
1. Field is shortened & Goalkeeper is removed
2. every time the opposing team scores a goal the team scored on must remove one article of clothing
3. play continues until both teams are fully disrobed and then next team to score wins
...you're welcome, I have just fixed soccer.

diesel

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 02, 2014, 07:58:13 AM

this is what the participants look like; Slight rule adjustments:
2. every time the opposing team scores a goal the team scored on must remove one article of clothing
3. play continues until both teams are fully disrobed and then next team to score wins

TEDDY!! TEDDY!!! TEDDY!!!!

That's all you'll hear at these games!!!

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 02, 2014, 07:58:13 AM

this is what the participants MUST look like and some slight rule adjustments:

:u: :u: :u: :u: :u:

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteI don't think the big players in European Soccer are worried about needing more sponsorship money

That wasn't the point. The point was the game in America is lacking and it's obvious in seeing how inept our best players are compared to the European players. Why is that the case? If you think about it, the following is there. Rabid Following! I just don't think the game is marketed very well in the states. Players know they have to go overseas to make the money. And our best athletes decide to play other more lucrative sports. Think if you had freak athletes, none of those other countries could hang. Would Russell Westbrook be fun to watch on a soccer field? Lebron? Jadeveon? Calvin Johnson? But instead you get Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, and Chris Wondolowski. I'm not saying they are bad but it could be so much better.

TeddyKGB

who gives a cr@p if the game isn't marketed well? If the best soccer players in the world played here in the MLS it wouldn't make it any less a commy sport.

Denver Viking

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 02, 2014, 02:09:16 PM
who gives a cr@p if the game isn't marketed well? If the best soccer players in the world played here in the MLS it wouldn't make it any less a commy sport.

Sounds like it should be right up your alley Teddy KGB.  After all, the KGB was a commie organization.  ;)

Actually soccer was invented by those commie Brits.
Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!
"I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  -- General George C. Marshall Chief of Staff, US Army, World War II

amazinballer

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on July 02, 2014, 11:51:28 AM
That wasn't the point. The point was the game in America is lacking and it's obvious in seeing how inept our best players are compared to the European players. Why is that the case? If you think about it, the following is there. Rabid Following! I just don't think the game is marketed very well in the states. Players know they have to go overseas to make the money. And our best athletes decide to play other more lucrative sports. Think if you had freak athletes, none of those other countries could hang. Would Russell Westbrook be fun to watch on a soccer field? Lebron? Jadeveon? Calvin Johnson? But instead you get Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, and Chris Wondolowski. I'm not saying they are bad but it could be so much better.

So you're just trying to "fix" the game in the US by decreasing the amount of players to make it more entertaining here?  Then what happens when we go to play against every other country in the world that plays with the full 11 players and we aren't prepared for that since our players are used to playing with less?

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: amazinballer on July 02, 2014, 02:36:04 PM
So you're just trying to "fix" the game in the US by decreasing the amount of players to make it more entertaining here?  Then what happens when we go to play against every other country in the world that plays with the full 11 players and we aren't prepared for that since our players are used to playing with less?

If we used Teddy's suggestion, and that team, we would win every match against other countries  :D ;)

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 02, 2014, 02:09:16 PM

I do agree with you. I was answering Amazin Baller of his sponsorship question. I don't think the best athletes play soccer because of marketing, wealth and it being a commy sport. But You could make a case that lots of Olympic sports being commy sports as well. What about Track & Field? It's dominated now by the Jamaicans, particularly the sprints.

Quote from: amazinballer on July 02, 2014, 02:36:04 PM

I seem to remember the best collection of Basketball players the 1st 2 Olympics and the last 2 Olympics called the Dream Team do just fine playing a FIFA Basketball game in comparison to the NBA game. I'm saying America can market their own game better and our best soccer players should still be able to go overseas and play the 11 on 11 and still kick booty like the Dream Team does!

New Sherif in Town

One day after the our 1-2-1 team got eliminated in the Squirrel Cup, I  noticed about 90% of the fervor for soccer is already gone.  Soccer is like Gymnastics in this country, we only care about it once every 4 years.

This country will never amount to anything in the world soccer landscape as long as our best athletes in this country continue to quit playing the game in their early teens, to play football, basketball and baseball. 

Secondly, we are still at the same level we 25 years ago, which is a round of 16.  We have played this sport religiously for over 35 years and we have still not developed what is considered a world class star, ala Pele, Messi or Renoldo, etc.  Our goal keeper, Howard is a very good player, but we cannot win games without someone putting it in the back of the net,  Anyone who watched the WC games can see the distinct lack of athleticism of the American soccer players in comparison to their counterparts in other countries. 

One of the echoing claims of soccer TV experts is we have not developed players like they do in other countries.  My question is,  we have some of the leading training facilities in the world for athletes, almost every young male in the nation starts his athletic career playing soccer, so how long does it take to find someone who can control a soccer ball and score with regularity at the world class level.?  The problem is not how we are developing the players, but rather the players we are developing.

In the end we suck at soccer, because our top athletes are in the NFL and not the MLS.  Yes I said suck!  What other sport does this country get to the final 16 and we drool all over the effort. We basically finished in a tie for 9th place,  No one in this country of any other country give a rats ass about people or teams that finish 9th.   If you takes 23 NFL DB's and RB's and train them for 5 years, totally immerse them in the game of soccer, with Howard in the net, and you get a better result in the WC than we got this year.  JMO!

Just to slow, non-athleic and un-physical to win at the Squirrel Cup.

JIm Sweeney had one of the best quotes about soccer I ever heard.  "If we all hold hands and pray, we can wipe soccer out."  Amen Jim!!!!!

izne1home

Quote from: New Sherif in Town on July 02, 2014, 07:37:07 PM
JIm Sweeney had one of the best quotes about soccer I ever heard.  "If we all hold hands and pray, we can wipe soccer out."  Amen Jim!!!!!

Someone should write a book with all of Coach Sweeney's quotes.  We were boarding the team plane to fly to Provo to play BYU for the first time over 20 years ago.  As we walked by I asked Coach if he was nervous.  He said "Nervous?  I'm so nervous you couldn't drive a 16 penny nail up my ass with a sledgehammer."  Classic.

TeddyKGB

Who gives 2 cr@ps if we suck at soccer, you want to watch better soccer pack your stuff and move to Europe or Brazil.

flexmac3

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 03, 2014, 05:42:55 PM
Who gives 2 cr@ps if we suck at soccer, you want to watch better soccer pack your stuff and move to Europe or Brazil.
agreed

flexmac3