News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

City-County game.

Started by 2quick, June 10, 2010, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

Quote from: sky22 on June 17, 2010, 03:47:47 PM
Whatever happened to the Fresno Bee promoting this game? Remember when they used to run player interest stories at least a week long prior to the game. Another reason this game is going south.

One of several reasons.

I think the biggest untapped source of help to get the game back on track, is the alumni.  Especially the guys who played when it was a really big deal.  There are hundreds of them out there.  If we could somehow get these guys in one room with one vision, it would be on. 

On second thought, a huge gang fight would probably break out if we get some of the old school City and County guys together, so maybe we should teleconference. 

Dirtfarmer

Wait, so there are TWO D1 QBs from lowly D4 Kingsburg? I thought that you only got noticed if you played in the TRAC! So Lacy backed up the best QB in the valley.... he threw for 2200 yards as a soph/jv.when Tyler was on Varsity. Just wait...the kid can play.

kevryan

Will the game sell out ahead of time or is it possible to get tickets at the gate?

COBRA

Quote from: kevryan on June 17, 2010, 07:59:08 PM
Will the game sell out ahead of time or is it possible to get tickets at the gate?

Last year my son and I showed up right before halftime because he had to complete the last day of the CE Contact Camp, and we had no trouble getting tickets.
Man in the Mirror

Chambers1

Quote from: Dirtfarmer on June 17, 2010, 05:49:38 PM
Wait, so there are TWO D1 QBs from lowly D4 Kingsburg? I thought that you only got noticed if you played in the TRAC! So Lacy backed up the best QB in the valley.... he threw for 2200 yards as a soph/jv.when Tyler was on Varsity. Just wait...the kid can play.

I know of a qb that threw for over 2000 yds on a jv team...he didn't go d1...yet...

seahorse

any thoughts about the game tonight

HSPro

The county appeared to be clearly out matched defensively and could not fine there offense at all.

Thors Hammer

After watching the City-County game I can say that I am disappointed and ticked off.  :x I'm having a problem of deciding who I'm the maddest at. The refs for not taking control of the game in the first half, the thugs from the city team for their play, or the SJM coaches for endorsing that behavior with high fives and more play time. I expected more from all three of these groups. The refs should have thrown Flowers out in the second quarter and that would have shown that the refs are in control. By not throwing him out that just spurs on more foul play. Its sad to see such an athletic gift ruined by the attitude of the person. I don't believe that Flowers deserves to go to UCLA with his attitude. This game just showed me that he is a punk and a thug. The thing that might tick me off the most is seeing the city players get thrown out of the game to only be greeted with a high five. Its sad that the city coaches are from a religious school and yet they endorse that kind of behavior. I guarantee that if that crap happened on the County team Coach Steele would not have greeted the player with a high five.

After watching this game I'm proud to say that I live in a small town and that I support a classy football team.
32 years was a long time to wait between Championships, then we hit three in a row. So we fired the coach...

2009 Undefeated Division 4 Valley Champions, 2010 Division 3 Valley Champions, & 2011 Division 3 Valley Champions

Thors Hammer

My thoughts are posted on the other city county topic. In short I was not impressed by the city team, the coaching staff and the players could have represented their schools better with a class attitude than a win.
32 years was a long time to wait between Championships, then we hit three in a row. So we fired the coach...

2009 Undefeated Division 4 Valley Champions, 2010 Division 3 Valley Champions, & 2011 Division 3 Valley Champions

2quick

CITY KICKED THE COUNTYS butt! GOOD JOB TO ALL THE CITY PLAYERS.

sky22

Congrats to the city team on their win. They were too physical up front for the county and #24 ran the ball very well. On D, they were too strong up front with Yates and Flowers and some strong linebacker play. The county never posed a threat.

As far as what thor said, i don't think the whole city team should be linked to the actions of a few or in my opinion just one. The county had their share of late hits and antics. But i think one player kind of ruined the whole game for both sides. He was the one who hit Lacy standing on the sidelines and then proceeded to try and elbow county head coach Steele. He had already had one personal foul at this point and after this was only received a quarter ejection, he should of been thrown out. He was the same player that after Lacy took a big hit (a clean hit) and his helmet flew off came by and put a knee to his head. I for one never saw the city coaches high five this or condone this like thor said but they could of stopped it early on. The refs could of stopped it by booting him early on and that would of made for a cleaner game.

Like i said , the city players should not be attached to the actions of one individual. They played a great game and should be proud of themselves. To not be able to shake hands after a game is sad. But with all the emotion that took place , i can see why. The city and county have great kids with great character on their teams, it's just sad that a few can ruin that.   Lacy will be ok by the way, he was out for alittle bit though

Thors Hammer

Quote from: sky22 on June 19, 2010, 03:52:03 AM
Congrats to the city team on their win. They were too physical up front for the county and #24 ran the ball very well. On D, they were too strong up front with Yates and Flowers and some strong linebacker play. The county never posed a threat.

As far as what thor said, i don't think the whole city team should be linked to the actions of a few or in my opinion just one. The county had their share of late hits and antics. But i think one player kind of ruined the whole game for both sides. He was the one who hit Lacy standing on the sidelines and then proceeded to try and elbow county head coach Steele. He had already had one personal foul at this point and after this was only received a quarter ejection, he should of been thrown out. He was the same player that after Lacy took a big hit (a clean hit) and his helmet flew off came by and put a knee to his head. I for one never saw the city coaches high five this or condone this like thor said but they could of stopped it early on. The refs could of stopped it by booting him early on and that would of made for a cleaner game.

Like i said , the city players should not be attached to the actions of one individual. They played a great game and should be proud of themselves. To not be able to shake hands after a game is sad. But with all the emotion that took place , i can see why. The city and county have great kids with great character on their teams, it's just sad that a few can ruin that.   Lacy will be ok by the way, he was out for alittle bit though

Flowers was not the player who hit Lacy, it was #2, who happens to be a SJM player. I remember more than one city player thrown out of the game, I remember Flowers, Yates, and 2 or 3 more defensive players thrown out. As for county all I can see is that they retaliated to the city starting crap. Never was a single county player thrown out be himself, I only remember county players being thrown out for retaliation. Like the county player who pushed #2 off of Lacy was then thrown out along with #2. The city coaches greeted the players  who got thrown out with high fives and a good game pat. You can see the coaches endorse this crap when a city player lays out a county player, who is no where near the ball, and the coaches and players get all excited over the hit despite that it came with a 15 yard penalty.

Sky, I think your giving city too much credit, your trying to say there was only one problem on the city team which is not true. I know that not all of the city players did crap, but when they high five each other, congratulate Flowers when he is thrown out, and get pumped up for late hits on defenseless players I tend to see that as an endorsement. Not all the city players did play like that, but almost all seemed to endorse that type of play.

izne1home

The selection criteria might need to be revisited.  Maybe one part talent, one part character.

Of course, the character part will take some work and make the committee's job a little tougher, but I fear the game will deteriorate if they don't. 

I'd support a rule that says if a player is ejected from a game for fighting during his senior year, he is ineligible.  If a player is ejected from an All Star game for fighting, then his school will forfeit a selection in next year's game.  Maybe two selections.

Go with a full slate of refs.  Police the game much tougher.  And only choose coaches with long proven track records for leadership and discipline.  Maybe the elder statesmen of valley football. 

This is a spirited game - it should be.  In the past, it was more like a war.  But we shook hands afterwards and gained respect for our opponents. 

Dirtfarmer

The refs lost control of the game when they didn't eject Flowers in the 1st quarter. The tone was set.They seemed to be afraid of ejecting anyone until it got ridiculous.  Come on, throwing elbows at the opposing coach? The City coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves for putting these thugs back in the game. IZ is right, this game has gotten really ugly the last several years. No wonder attendance is so dismal.

Thors Hammer

This game should be an honor for those players chosen to represent there schools. It's sad to see players not only make a fool of themselves, but of their school. After the Edison grade cheating scandal it was a little sad to see how Flowers represented his school. Usually when I see that a player is on the honor roll I'm glad to see a smart jock. But after last night I wonder if Flowers really was on the honor roll at Edison like the program said. Or is Edison still is giving out grades to football players?

izne1home

Not directly blaming the officials, but there is a lot of concentrated talent and emotion on the field at the same time.  It is not your run of the mill high school football game.  Maybe they should bring in a college level officiating crew. 

seahorse

I for one like flowers he is a great football player a little nasty attitude but what the heck is this football or checkers  

manup

I think city had a chip on their shoulders they new their defense would shut down the county offense with  mccurley and frierson leading the offense this game could have been alot worse than 34 to 12

seahorse

I was really impressed with mccurley can't believe he is not going anywhere to play football next year

manup

Quote from: bhsman on June 19, 2010, 10:46:28 AM
only thing city had on their shoulders wer there own buttcheeks with their heads so far up there own butts.  chip nothin, and nobody was a leader out there, if they were leader they wouldnt let that crap happen.  you are an idiot.
Im glad you dont put up with these kind of athletes down south in bako

manup