News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Open Division in Central Section Basketball?

Started by The Duke, October 09, 2019, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Duke

Can somebody clarify the news coming from the Central Section CIF regarding an Open Division for basketball only?  I have heard this second hand, so please, correct me if I get this wrong.  My understanding is that one high-profile local coach who has lost unexpectedly in the quarter-finals the last two years, talked the Central Section into implementing an Open Division that would put the top four ranked teams into their own play-off.  Also, each of the four teams would be guaranteed a state play-off spot.  Assuming most of these teams will be Division 1 (a division with too few teams now), a team that would normally be a 5th or 6th seed will walk away with a Division 1 championship.  The Girls side would basically put the top four teams in the TRAC into the Open Division (in most years).  Again, this is information that was relayed to me - please help clarify what is going on. 

Hoopswhisperer

Crazy, if true.

I would rather see the old large school / small school format return

CWClassof2007

I'm pretty close to people involved with both Clovis West programs. This isn't true. It also would take more than one disgruntled coach to make this change. I've always thought teams shouldn't be placed in divisions until right before the playoffs start. That's what they do at the state level for basketball. SJM would have been in D1 the last couple of years.

Hoopswhisperer

I agree teams should be evaluated before playoff division placement.

CWClassof2007

axel foley