News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bako Football Players

Started by jeraf, June 29, 2010, 12:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeraf

This is an article by Bakersfield Californian Zack Ewing Sports Editor.  It has a list of upcoming seniors Class of 2011 and where they have interest, offers, or verbals to go to next year:

— Lastly, a quick football note to whet your appetite for the months ahead: Stockdale seniors-to-be Hank Hobson (LB) and Andre Heidari (K/P) have given verbal commitments to Pac-10 schools. Hobson plans on signing with Arizona come February, and Heidari with USC, where he could compete for the kicking job with Bakersfield High graduate Craig McMahon, who's a prefrerred walk-on for the Trojans.
Also, Liberty offensive lineman Doug Blacksill has picked up his first Division I offer, from San Jose State.
It's shaping up to be an even busier signing day than usual next February. I don't think it's any accident that when Cody Kessler's recruitment went national, it paved the way for some other local players to get noticed by scouts who otherwise would have skipped Bakersfield. Whether that helps players of future classes remains to be seen, but as of right now, there are already eight local seniors planning to sign with a Football Bowl Subdvision (Division I-A) school, with at least five considering offers from BCS schools.

Here's the updated list as we know it of Kern County's FBS-offered players from the class of 2011 (verbal commitment in parentheses):

Doug Blacksill, OL, Liberty (offer from San Jose State)
Brian Burrell, QB, Bakersfield (offer from Idaho)
Andre Heidari, K/P, Stockdale (USC)
Hank Hobson, LB, Stockdale (Arizona)
Cody Kessler, QB, Centennial (USC)
Mercy Maston, S, Bakersfield (offer from Arizona State)
Jared Norris, LB, Centennial (Utah)
Cody Temple, OL/DL, Liberty (offers from Washington State, San Jose State, Nevada; talked to Temple when he was in for his All-Area track photo, and he apparently really impressed as an offensive lineman at a UCLA camp; he played some o-line last year down the stretch for Liberty, so I'm going to list him as both for now even though he made his name as a defensive tackle)

Zach Ewing

Frontier

Liberty is definitely getting a lot of recognition by their big guys. Cody Temple is going to keep on getting more in my opinion. I've always noticed him since he was getting 1st Team All-Area just as a Sophomore. Surprised on Heidari's offer, but he is pretty good. Same kinda build as Darr, big guy who can really boom the ball. There should be a lot more coming in.

BignsDad

Another Liberty big boy to watch is Frankie Hurtado OL/DL. He's getting some letters now as well!
LIGHT'M UP!

Leavmlayn

Cody temple offers are Washington st.,San Jose st.,Colorado st.,Nevada,New Mexico st.,Portland st., and as of the 29th of June he is happy to accept Fresno st. as an option.We are thankfull Cody is part of a very talented class of 2011 bakersfield players.
I call him by both names "Beast" and "Son". He just calls me Dad, but that's cool!.

Frontier

What about that Raper guy? He seemed pretty good.

SOUTHPAWQB

Cheatham will get some good looks this year as well for Wasco the kid is a beast in the weight room had a great showing at the under aurmor combin in Santa Monica and ran with authority at the clovis east camp.  he will definitely be among the leaders in rushing this year.  Another kid that has had visits from San Jose St is Chris Rocha strong safety kids a monster!!!! 6'3" 205 and runs very well.

jeraf

Quote from: bhsman on July 02, 2010, 07:47:06 AM
burrell and idaho, i heard it was a possible offer, not an offer.  heidari, i am confused at this one too.  down 10 scholarships and they make this offer to a good, not great punter/kicker?  thats nuts.  like most DI schools, they usually have 15-22 scholarships that get finalized and they throw out 100-130 offers each year, so....  who knows.

bhsman, you're right about the offers, I just took what Zack Ewing had on his blog.  I'm sure you know that offers right now, are just that, OFFERS.  Basically verbals, which are non-binding (Just look at the M Darr fiasco).  Some of these athletes may have several colleges courting them right now. But for these athletes, just to have colleges acknowledging them, is better than silence.  Right now for most college's sending letters is just the beginning of the screening process.  They will be requesting SAT's, ACT's, H S Transcripts, DVD Highlights, etc.  It doesn't mean you are their first pick, but at least you're in the mix.  After some lengthy emails and phone calls for a couple of months then most athletes and colleges will start to narrow it down, to who they have in mind.  I wish all these athletes the best in continuing their sport of choice at the next level. 

taysdad

Quote from: Frontier on July 01, 2010, 10:49:18 PM
What about that Raper guy? He seemed pretty good.

raper is only going to be a junior

cdub21

Ewing never recognizes Kyrie Wilson of Ridgeview. He is a 3-star LB by rivals and has offers from Oregon and Washington State.

cdub21

btw, Burrell does have offers from Idaho and Utah State. Mercy Maston, the db from BHS has offers from UCLA, Arizona St. and others. He's ranked as a top 60 corner in the nation by scout.

cdub21

These are all "official scholarship" offers that these players have received. btw, i have never seen Heidari kick in person, but scout and rivals both consider him a top 10 kicker for the 2011 class. Also, Fred Wilson of West high is gaining interest of D1 schools and could be offered soon.

cdub21