News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Kessler #3 QB at SC...

Started by RoadDawg, August 28, 2012, 10:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadDawg

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-0829-usc-football-20120829,0,3024970.story?track=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I wonder if Cody has any thought of going elsewhere....  I know a USC education is worth a lot of $$$.... but if he wants to play on Saturdays, transferring has to be crossing his mind. 
"The older I get... The better I was!"

OriginalCVFan

He was number 2 last year, behind Barkley, but the competition will be continuing all year long for the number 2 spot.  WIttek didnt leave last year when he was number 3. 

]

CWClassof2007

Kiffin said this won't have any bearing on who is the start next season.

taysdad

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on August 29, 2012, 06:53:01 AM

i'm callin BS on that one. i don't think kiffin is going to let that relationship with mater dei go down the drain with some kid from bakersfield. kessler is going to have to be far and away better than wittek, no doubt about it, to win that job. otherwise it's going to wittek. i think he should transfer out, asap. he already used his red shirt so he's going to lose a season. better to do it now and have 2 years somewhere else.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: taysdad on August 29, 2012, 07:07:29 AM
i'm callin BS on that one. i don't think kiffin is going to let that relationship with mater dei go down the drain with some kid from bakersfield. kessler is going to have to be far and away better than wittek, no doubt about it, to win that job. otherwise it's going to wittek. i think he should transfer out, asap. he already used his red shirt so he's going to lose a season. better to do it now and have 2 years somewhere else.

Fresno State would be a perfect fit if Carr comes out early. But unless he puts up number like his brother did in 2001 then he's staying for his 5th year.

izne1home

Quote from: taysdad on August 29, 2012, 07:07:29 AM

Hadn't thought about the Mater Dei relationship, but you are right.  Kessler is probably going to have to take the job away from Wittek.  Transferring is easier said than done.  Most big D1 programs have their depth charts in place, so transferring will probably result in the same situation, just at a different school, with one less year of eligibility.

If I were his father, I'd say stay put and give it your best shot.  Statistically, football is likely not in his long term future, but it got him a full ride at a great school. 

Don't let the tail wag the dog. 

SCrubjay

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on August 29, 2012, 06:53:01 AM

It's not going to get any easier for Cody next year.....  he likely could be third on the depth chart again ....

SC has a commitment from the the top rated QB in the country....  Max Browne from Sammamish, WA.... 6'5" ....  Gatorade Player of the year....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Max-Browne-115733
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4791604

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGBwmz9KW14

SCrubjay

Quote from: izne1home on August 29, 2012, 08:14:28 AM
If I were his father, I'd say stay put and give it your best shot.  Statistically, football is likely not in his long term future, but it got him a full ride at a great school. 

Exactly right  ..........  He's 6'1" with no chance of playing beyond college.....  He's at one of the most connected schools in the country .... leverage wearing that Cardinal & Gold uniform for all it's worth.... hit the books, use the tutoring center, get that degree......  and shmoooze alumni at every chance .... all while staying injury free .....  sounds like a pretty good gig to me.....

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on August 29, 2012, 09:43:06 AM
Exactly right  ..........  He's 6'1" with no chance of playing beyond college.....  He's at one of the most connected schools in the country .... leverage wearing that Cardinal & Gold uniform for all it's worth.... hit the books, use the tutoring center, get that degree......  and shmoooze alumni at every chance .... all while staying injury free .....  sounds like a pretty good gig to me.....

:u: :u: :u: :u: :u: :u: :u: :u:

That would be the advice given to my son in that circumstance....well said.

taysdad

good points guys. couple quotes from kessler from ocregister.com:

Kessler said the backup decision won't change his approach. He plans to keep competing as if the job is still open.

"I trust Coach's decision," Kessler said. "He called me in there and told me straight up as a man. He shot me straight, which is a big thing for me."

"There's no hard feelings or anything. This is a grown man's business. You just stay strong."

and from espn:

Kessler said he's not frustrated. He expects to play this season and challenge Wittek in the spring, when freshman Max Browne will also be in the mix.

"I can't go around moping the whole time," Kessler said. "Last year it was the other way around, and Max handled it well, when I was the backup last year. That's how we are as a quarterback corps.

"We keep competing no matter what string we are, all the way down to the fifth-stringer, even the walk-ons."

SCrubjay

Just_A_Fan

Like the young man's attitude  :u: :u: :u: :u: :u:

Nice to see a man of character stand firm like that......

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteExactly right  ..........  He's 6'1" with no chance of playing beyond college.....  He's at one of the most connected schools in the country .... leverage wearing that Cardinal & Gold uniform for all it's worth.... hit the books, use the tutoring center, get that degree......  and shmoooze alumni at every chance .... all while staying injury free .....  sounds like a pretty good gig to me.....

It's just a depth chart correct? I never understood why you have to announce who the back up was before the season. Why can't it change depending on how the players practice from week to week? Kiffin said there is not much difference between the 2 so it will be a battle from beginning to end. Even if 1 gets the starting nod a year from now... If he doesn't do well, the other QB's number will be called. They don't stand losing at SC. I think this will make Cody work harder. I don't think he should transfer at this point. He'd have to almost start all over with a completely new system, playbook, coaches, and the chemistry with his team mates. And even then that won't ensure he will play even for Fresno State after Carr. I still think he made a good choice. USC came in later because all these other schools Boise State, Pitt, Alabama were showing interest. But I fully understand why he made the choice being close to home and being a part of a top notch program. I think he should just move forward. Nothing is given, it is earned. Every football player needs to understand that hard work pays off. On every team, at every level there are competitions. A year ago I remember Jesse Scroggins was the next in line. What happened with him?

SCrubjay

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on August 29, 2012, 12:44:19 PM
A year ago I remember Jesse Scroggins was the next in line. What happened with him?

Don't know if that question was rhetorical or not, but Scroggins, one of the top QBs in the country in 2009 when he came out of Lakewood, is now at ElCamino JC...

And I agree with the rest of your assessment...... I hadn't even factored in the close to home part.....

taysdad

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on August 29, 2012, 12:44:19 PM
It's just a depth chart correct? I never understood why you have to announce who the back up was before the season. Why can't it change depending on how the players practice from week to week? Kiffin said there is not much difference between the 2 so it will be a battle from beginning to end. Even if 1 gets the starting nod a year from now... If he doesn't do well, the other QB's number will be called. They don't stand losing at SC. I think this will make Cody work harder.

i agree about the depth chart, it could change week to week, and hope it motivates kessler that much more. i disagree with you about a year now. whoever the starter is, be it cody or max, SC will ride them out, unless it there's an injury. i remember when barkley took over and wasn't doing so good and people were calling for someone else, SC stood by him. he has continually improved year by year with completion % (59% in 09 to 69% in '11) and td/int ration (15/14 in '09 to 39/7 in '11)

GoldenHawksFootball

Quotei remember when barkley took over and wasn't doing so good and people were calling for someone else, SC stood by him.

That's because they didn't have anybody good on the depth chart behind Barkley. Kiffen knows how close both Wittek and Kessler are in the competition. I don't think even when Barkley was a freshman, he had a Wittek or Kessler lurking behind him and working hard to get playing time. Kessler will get his chance. He just needs to be ready when called upon.

Speedracer

As a player who played QB as a high level player my advice we be for player to go talk to head coach or other decision makers ( understand this it is not always head coach who makes these decision but a lot of times it is QB coach or receivers coach or offensive coordinators) and a lot of times it is very political and that is to bad,but may be the situation here. Anyway go talk coach and say I need straight honest answer will I get fair chance to play and how are you going to  give me my chance.? What the right and fair way is simple
1. Each of top 3 QB should start one scrimmage and play with first team
2. After 3 games each QB runs same plays and get the same reps
3. Total up stats and best player on stats wins starting position
4. That keeps politics out and all QBs are happy they
Got fair shake.

flexmac3

Quote from: Speedracer on August 29, 2012, 11:28:31 PM
As a player who played QB as a high level player my advice we be for player to go talk to head coach or other decision makers ( understand this it is not always head coach who makes these decision but a lot of times it is QB coach or receivers coach or offensive coordinators) and a lot of times it is very political and that is to bad,but may be the situation here. Anyway go talk coach and say I need straight honest answer will I get fair chance to play and how are you going to  give me my chance.? What the right and fair way is simple
1. Each of top 3 QB should start one scrimmage and play with first team
2. After 3 games each QB runs same plays and get the same reps
3. Total up stats and best player on stats wins starting position
4. That keeps politics out and all QBs are happy they
Got fair shake.
racer, I get your point, but Barkley has been the USC starting QB since his Freshman year.
There is no reason to do the things that you mention this year, unless there was truly a competition for the starting job.
There are no politics involved in the USC QB position. Maybe next year.
Kessler is a redshirt freshman, I say stay at USC, continue to improve as a student, and QB.
Kessler coaching staff is as good as any college coaching staff, and getting a chance to hang around a future #1 NFL QB in Matt Barkley for another year has to be priceless.

Speedracer

I understand that Barkley is the starter and deservingly so but what I meet is to determined the back up situation.
Kessler is a great quarterback that has great leadership qualities that a top program looks for, also his teammates
also have great respect and belief in him.
What I want here to decide who the next Trojan starting QB for next season
Is complete fairness and no politics
Each recruit that commit to a D1 program Is ready to go out and battle for the starting job and
Actually looks froward to competting against the best .
That's why you go to a school like USC because you are going to get best
player their .

Now here comes the problems when a kid who looks at his 3 game scrimmage stats
and practices reps and it looks like example (20 of 29 , 316 yard a passing 3 touchdowns and 7 runs for 38 yards 1 touchdown , also not in the seven drives he had lead first team 5 straight times to scores 4td and a field goal
Also did will with 2 and 3 team offensive.

Now next QB from big time southern cal high school program dad is real tight with running back coach they play college ball together and still have beers together at least once a week.
This QB stats look like this 16 of 30 with only first team offense 2 td and 2 int and 1 rushing yard
And leads team to scoring drives 2 out of 6 series
And at decision time this second QB is name the next starter now what?

eartotheground

Here's how it works, unfortunately!  A starting Qb out of the valley is about 100-200 tickets sold for a home game at a USC game.  A Trojan starting QB from the greater LA basin is worth 2,000 to 5,000 tickets sold per home game.  Yes, this is a business and when things are close, the money end of it wins out.

eartotheground