News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

SJM PANTHERS BACK 2 BACK D3 CHAMPS!!!

Started by All Star Kev, November 24, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Scudder

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 26, 2018, 11:33:04 AM
They would have lost both times. They aren't good enough in either division. They would have at least made it to the championship in DIII!

You might be right, but the coach felt better about D II.

Slingblade

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 24, 2018, 12:54:00 PMAnd I asked this question in another post....what changed at SJM that allowed a 2017 dominant team that won valley, even better this year? Experience? Transfers? What?
I'm sure returning most of their key players helped, but it doesn't hurt to pick up a few D1 players either, especially if one of them is the best player on one of your league rival's team. Joshua Kelley scored three touchdowns in the championship game and Tobin Phillips is a definite D1 player. Did any other D3 schools in the Valley get 2 D1 transfers this year? Do you think Kelley transferring from Bullard hurt Bullard in any way? It's not surprising to see two private schools play for the D3 championship or see CVC cruise to a D4 championship. Most of the best teams in the state are private schools- Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, J Serra, De La Salle, etc. as are most of the best teams in the country (i.e. IMG Academy, Bishop Gormon, St. Frances Academy, St. Louis, etc.
Oaks Christian beat Bakersfield Christian 83-0 and they only have around 1,000 high school students! Amazing! How did they do it?

Beercat

Heck, Grace Brethren in Simi Valley has only 280 kids in 9-12. A senior class of only 69 kids.

They just won back to back CIFSS championships the latest in D4 against Corona Del Mar High with 1800 kids. They currently have a Freeman Rating of 59.1. They now take on St. Augustine of San Diego in the 2-AA regional game.

How is that possible without massive transfers ....

gofortwo

Quote from: Slingblade on November 26, 2018, 03:15:20 PM
I'm sure returning most of their key players helped, but it doesn't hurt to pick up a few D1 players either, especially if one of them is the best player on one of your league rival's team. Joshua Kelley scored three touchdowns in the championship game and Tobin Phillips is a definite D1 player. Did any other D3 schools in the Valley get 2 D1 transfers this year? Do you think Kelley transferring from Bullard hurt Bullard in any way? It's not surprising to see two private schools play for the D3 championship or see CVC cruise to a D4 championship. Most of the best teams in the state are private schools- Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, J Serra, De La Salle, etc. as are most of the best teams in the country (i.e. IMG Academy, Bishop Gormon, St. Frances Academy, St. Louis, etc.
Oaks Christian beat Bakersfield Christian 83-0 and they only have around 1,000 high school students! Amazing! How did they do it?
Couldn't agree more with these facts. no one else in D3 is getting these athletes expect the two private schools.

RoadDawg

Yes, SJM is having a historic year, with a great group of kids.  They won Valley back to back and the CMAC this year for the first time in school history.  Prior to last year, they hadn't won a Valley title in 15 years.  SJM will be moved up like everyone else. 
"The older I get... The better I was!"

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Coach Scudder on November 26, 2018, 11:09:40 AM
The way I heard it is that TW thought they had a better chance in D II than playing SJM again in D III. Considering what SLM did this year, I would say they were right.

Solve the issue, create an all Private School division.  I do not care what anyone says, the playing field is not level when comparing Public and Private schools. Never has been, never will be.
There are four private schools in the section that play 11 man football. That's not enough for their own division.

CMPunk

Love how there's still a lot of you complaining about SJM this year. Last year was nothing, but when they go unbeaten (after beating 4 D1's and 1 D2's) I guess there will always be those knitpicking. Sure didn't hear a lot of this when Bakersfield Christian was dominating...

BallGuy

Quote from: CMPunk on November 26, 2018, 08:35:24 PM
Love how there's still a lot of you complaining about SJM this year. Last year was nothing, but when they go unbeaten (after beating 4 D1's and 1 D2's) I guess there will always be those knitpicking. Sure didn't hear a lot of this when Bakersfield Christian was dominating...

Lol good call here...Same thing is happening in the d1 threads with Central

gofortwo

There is a difference between doing it at the D1 level compared to the D3 level. Especially when there is at least 5 NCAA prospects on your roster while winning every game by 40.  Central doesn't have as many highly regarded skilled position players like SJM does.

chrissk2002

They were equal opportunity assassins....They beat the D1's by 40 too....lol

BallGuy

Quote from: gofortwo on November 27, 2018, 10:06:48 AM
There is a difference between doing it at the D1 level compared to the D3 level. Especially when there is at least 5 NCAA prospects on your roster while winning every game by 40.  Central doesn't have as many highly regarded skilled position players like SJM does.

Yeah I get it. But central has a lot on their team too, just hasn't gotten the offers like SJM. You know more about football, than I do, but what I like to tell people, getting calls and getting offers are vastly different things. Think Central just has more depth than a team like SJM, but who knows, maybe they are better than Central? I don't. Just know SJM crushed it this year by the rules they played within.

MooseKnuckle

Quote from: gofortwo on November 27, 2018, 10:06:48 AM

Easy now... last time I checked when Central and SJM scrimmaged this year and it was an absolute ravishing. Tompkins wasn't even suited up. Starters played 2 series for Central and SJM had their studs in the entire scrimmage like it was Championship game. If I recall correctly Central scored 5 TD's and SJM ... 2 first downs. SJM would get completely embarrassed by Central in a regular season game.

Spazzilla

Say what you want, CalPreps projects Central by 2 scores:

neutral field
[2018] Central (Fresno, CA) 42, [2018] San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno, CA) 28
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

gofortwo

Never said SJM would beat Central. What i did say was that they had more highly recruited players.

Spazzilla

Quote from: gofortwo on November 27, 2018, 11:36:19 AM
Never said SJM would beat Central. What i did say was that they had more highly recruited players.

Never said you did : )
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

RoadDawg

Quote from: MooseKnuckle on November 27, 2018, 10:41:46 AM
Easy now... last time I checked when Central and SJM scrimmaged this year and it was an absolute ravishing. Tompkins wasn't even suited up. Starters played 2 series for Central and SJM had their studs in the entire scrimmage like it was Championship game. If I recall correctly Central scored 5 TD's and SJM ... 2 first downs. SJM would get completely embarrassed by Central in a regular season game.

Not that it really matters...but your post is inaccurate.  SJM scrimmaged without starters too, and they pulled several before Central scored most of their TDs, late in the scrimmage.  Again, its irrelevant, and not saying SJM wins, but the Panthers would not get embarrassed.
"The older I get... The better I was!"

DonnieBaker1962

Quote from: BallGuy on November 27, 2018, 09:05:27 AM
Lol good call here...Same thing is happening in the d1 threads with Central

I seem to remember people calling out BCHS coach A Wallace about all the hatred towards them in the offseason for recruiting.......

Now, what Everyone hates is when private schools gloat. It shouldn't be hard for people who haven't coached to understand that. They have more. More money, more support, more boosters, more recruits etc. It is sickening when private school coaches/parents go on about their success. If you are a private school and dont win CIF in a Division lower than 1 you failed (I'm sure there are exceptions). How ridiculous that some morons would rant and rave about how SJMHS won D3!!!!!???? It is obscene really. There really does need to be an exclusive private Southern San Joaquin League. If they don't show a little more humility that's where we are headed...

chrissk2002

Donnie Donnie,

Calm down. I haven't seen one post by anyone gloating excessively or making SJM the greatest team since sliced bread. Most are just stating what a great year they had and others agree albeit with the distinction that SJM should be moved to D1. And Clovis schools have just as much money from boosters coming in, Heck even Bullard has good income. SJM's gyms and football stadium are in desperate need of makeovers while Clovis North, Bullard, even Fresno High are looking like mini universities. I'm not an accountant but it sure doesn't seem like a competitive advantage facility wise.

The real reason that private schools get more great athletes is because they provide something that public schools won't provide.....an education!! When an athlete graduates from a private school and has an opportunity to go to the next level, they aren't undone by their grades. A majority of the better athletes in public schools are struggling with grades, which limits their opportunities going forward. So if anyone is upset about the ability of private schools to "recruit", just understand what they are offering, and it has nothing to do with athletics.

Pickles

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 27, 2018, 11:08:15 PM
Donnie Donnie,

Calm down. I haven't seen one post by anyone gloating excessively or making SJM the greatest team since sliced bread. Most are just stating what a great year they had and others agree albeit with the distinction that SJM should be moved to D1. And Clovis schools have just as much money from boosters coming in, Heck even Bullard has good income. SJM's gyms and football stadium are in desperate need of makeovers while Clovis North, Bullard, even Fresno High are looking like mini universities. I'm not an accountant but it sure doesn't seem like a competitive advantage facility wise.

The real reason that private schools get more great athletes is because they provide something that public schools won't provide.....an education!! When an athlete graduates from a private school and has an opportunity to go to the next level, they aren't undone by their grades. A majority of the better athletes in public schools are struggling with grades, which limits their opportunities going forward. So if anyone is upset about the ability of private schools to "recruit", just understand what they are offering, and it has nothing to do with athletics.

Oh dear Lord, someone said it!  And maybe, just maybe, those parents who are invested in the whole package are invested in something after football, even if football happens to be the ticket to the higher education above and beyond high school. 

The Eye in the Sky

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 27, 2018, 11:08:15 PM
Donnie Donnie,

So the kids that transfer in going into their Sr year are going for that "Education" you are speaking of? Nothing to do with the struggles or lack of success at their previous school? The way they were being utilized at their previous school? Nor the ability to pretty much make a high school super team and breeze to lower level section championship, and the chance to play for a State Championship? 
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

The Eye in the Sky

Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."