News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

SJM PANTHERS BACK 2 BACK D3 CHAMPS!!!

Started by All Star Kev, November 24, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrissk2002

Eye in the Sky,

When you have D1 caliber players on your roster it is imperative that the school's educational component can cater to those players so they don't have to transfer in order to get to the next level. How you use those players athletically is also a major consideration, however if those kid's families know that win or lose their child will have an opportunity to go on to the next level, then they may sacrifice a losing season or two especially if it's where they come from. But I'll be damned if I let my kid stay on a squad that Will Not use him correctly and then also have his education suffer as he puts in ungodly hours on a practice field for a team that has no intention on doing right by him. It isn't fair. And if it's about breezing to a title and then having state aspirations, then why not go to Central, or Buchanan, or any other powerhouse public school? It's a lot cheaper that way. The reason......again it comes back to education. Where will my kid have the best educational opportunities to advance his career. As parents isn't that OUR job!?!

axel foley

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 28, 2018, 08:08:54 AM
Eye in the Sky,

When you have D1 caliber players on your roster it is imperative that the school's educational component can cater to those players so they don't have to transfer in order to get to the next level. How you use those players athletically is also a major consideration, however if those kid's families know that win or lose their child will have an opportunity to go on to the next level, then they may sacrifice a losing season or two especially if it's where they come from. But I'll be damned if I let my kid stay on a squad that Will Not use him correctly and then also have his education suffer as he puts in ungodly hours on a practice field for a team that has no intention on doing right by him. It isn't fair. And if it's about breezing to a title and then having state aspirations, then why not go to Central, or Buchanan, or any other powerhouse public school? It's a lot cheaper that way. The reason......again it comes back to education. Where will my kid have the best educational opportunities to advance his career. As parents isn't that OUR job!?!

i said that about central... the job of me as a parent if i were one would be to put my son/daughter in the best position to succeed and to get to college for free and not be forced to go to fresno st if he is able to go to usc, miami, alabama and so forth. if that means he is transferring then he is gonna transfer. 

BallGuy

Umm, most of the stud athletes that go to SJM are on full scholarships, so it's not cheaper to go to a public school. I know an 8th grader that has been offered a scholarship to go there next year. Why all the hate? From someone that isn't a football guy, I think we are missing the point. We have two good representations of valley football in two different divisions. Can we just appreciate that. This thread is turning into a lot of angry parents with all pro kids hating on scheme. I can promise you  your son's coach is not out to spite your son. As for the people transferring in their senior year at SJM, chances are they were not amazing to begin with, as they would have been on scholarship. Yes there are exceptions, but I'm more talking rules, and not the exceptions. If the kid is good, they will be found. If they have measurables, the kid will be found. Chill with all the scheme stuff, and blah blah. Is the kid a better person than before? Cool. Does he put a priority on his education? Cool. Chill with the hate, and support the team that is representing our area for the state playoffs.

chrissk2002

Ballguy there is no such thing as a full scholarship. Every student has to pay something. It may not be full tuition but there are fees. And it also isn't true that all good athletes are found by colleges. You must be on the stage in order to be seen. There are a few exceptions but overall the more visible you are the more opportunities present themselves.

BallGuy

You're right about the exposure. It definitely doesn't hurts. Not going to argue about that. But in large, if you have the measurables, you will be found. There will be kids that slip through the cracks. I'm just not a fan of kids transferring, with hopes that it will get them recruited. Guess that is hard to my point because it isn't clear...Sure, they need the platform, but it is still the kid that needs to be a stud. The school won't make the kid a stud. Not sure if I'm making my point that I want to make clearly lol

gofortwo

Quote from: BallGuy on November 28, 2018, 09:18:56 AM
You're right about the exposure. It definitely doesn't hurts. Not going to argue about that. But in large, if you have the measurables, you will be found. There will be kids that slip through the cracks. I'm just not a fan of kids transferring, with hopes that it will get them recruited. Guess that is hard to my point because it isn't clear...Sure, they need the platform, but it is still the kid that needs to be a stud. The school won't make the kid a stud. Not sure if I'm making my point that I want to make clearly lol

I totally agree with that point.  By transferring it is setting a bad example aside from the education aspect. like you said if the kid is a stud they will find him.  But transferring to a lower division who had just won the section title is just another way to creating a super team.

Darth Backer

From a school and coaches perspective, I have always believed that you are better off without the type of kid that would transfer. If they don't want to be on your team, then let them go!

From a parent perspective, I'd never let my kid transfer unless something really bad was going on within the program. I think it sends a bad message to your child to transfer to try and better your position (starting position, wins, etc.) I really think if you want the best for your child then you need to figure it out before the end of 8th grade and do what it takes to put your kid in the right position at that point.

The sad part is, kids these days are so used to the "transfer" way of thinking (see the NBA and MLB) that they stay friends with the kids on their team after the transfer. We had a guy that transferred off of my team in High School and we didn't make friends again until 6 or 7 years after graduation. We viewed it as the ultimate betrayal. And we knew he was being selfish because he had been moved to the offensive line during our junior year.

Coach Scudder

As a parent, I will ALWAYS put my kids first. However, I think good lessons can be learned through hard work and perseverance. Transferring to "THE STAGE" so my kid gets recognition seems a lot like path of least resistance  BS.

RoadDawg

Quote from: Coach Scudder on November 28, 2018, 11:54:06 AM
... Transferring to "THE STAGE" so my kid gets recognition seems a lot like path of least resistance  BS.

Just curious, if the parents of really good WR felt their son could get more exposure at a school which runs a spread offense, rather than playing in your wing-T offense, you feel that's a path of least resistance?  I agree far too many kids today run from adversity, however I don't think people should begrudge parents for doing what they think is in their kid's best interest, to each their own.  Often, the transfer is counter productive, as we all know it doesn't always play out as expected, and many simply learn the grass isn't alway greener on the other side.   
"The older I get... The better I was!"

TeddyKGB

Darth I believe you are right on the money on all three counts. As a coach I wouldn't want a kid to stay that doesn't want to be in my program nor would I want a kid that left another school be because he and or his parents didn't think we were doing things the right way. That kid will start start bad mouthing your program as soon as there is the slightest hint of adversity...take a look at Last Chance U Malik Henry he's an extreme example but didn't he bounce to a few different high schools and then began to second guess the JC coach. Now I understand the show is edited to reflect drama and turmoil but he still said the things he said (on the show). As a parent if you believe you want to get your child into the best program possible then as you said do it before the end of 8th grade. I believe this " look for the greener grass" mentality creates horrible habits that will carry on into adulthood and prove detrimental.

The Eye in the Sky

Quote from: RoadDawg on November 28, 2018, 02:39:52 PM
Just curious, if the parents of really good WR felt their son could get more exposure at a school which runs a spread offense, rather than playing in your wing-T offense, you feel that's a path of least resistance?  I agree far too many kids today run from adversity, however I don't think people should begrudge parents for doing what they think is in their kid's best interest, to each their own.  Often, the transfer is counter productive, as we all know it doesn't always play out as expected, and many simply learn the grass isn't alway greener on the other side.

Let's use Bullard or Golden West for example. A kid plays WR and has played or projected to play WR growing up in their youth boundaries know darn well the system they run. So why go there in the first place?  Are the parents ignorant enough to believe that the program is going to change their philosophy for one kid?  Granted a HUGE part of Coaching is adjusting to personnel and maximizing their potential for making plays.
Like Darth stated transferring is/was an ultimate betrayal to the guys you grew up with, but players and parents are entitled to do what they believe is right at the end of the day.
For me and me only these two are similar Championships to WU Championships in the  early 2000's with all their transfers kind of like "Meh, how could you not?"
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

RoadDawg

Quote from: The Eye in the Sky on November 28, 2018, 04:34:37 PM
...For me and me only these two are similar Championships to WU Championships in the  early 2000's with all their transfers kind of like "Meh, how could you not?"

So now any kid who doesn't stick to their Jr high feeder school is a traitor... lol, really?  Can the same be said for a coach that left a school for what they perceive a better situation?  Your above comment about talent holds true with any team that is loaded, private or public. 
"The older I get... The better I was!"

chrissk2002

You guys are hilarious!!!  Everyone of you who could put your child in a better situation to improve their future would do it in a heartbeat.. If you wouldn't then your'e not a good parent. Screw what anyone thinks if I know my child will be better off academically and athletically I'll take him to Timbuktoo. These so called friends you grew up with has and will pay exactly how many of your bills? Right they don't so my kid leaving or staying has no bearing on friendships. True friends know when you've done something to better yourself and when you're just being greedy and they support you. Not you and a high school you attend?!?

Darth Backer

Quote from: RoadDawg on November 28, 2018, 02:39:52 PM

Yup, see Derek Carr... after returning to Bakersfield, the family saw that Stockdale was running Wing-T. They decided that they rather have Derek play D5 ball and run spread than play D1 and run Wing-T.

Darth Backer

Quote from: chrissk2002 on November 28, 2018, 06:37:34 PM
You guys are hilarious!!!  Everyone of you who could put your child in a better situation to improve their future would do it in a heartbeat.. If you wouldn't then your'e not a good parent. Screw what anyone thinks if I know my child will be better off academically and athletically I'll take him to Timbuktoo. These so called friends you grew up with has and will pay exactly how many of your bills? Right they don't so my kid leaving or staying has no bearing on friendships. True friends know when you've done something to better yourself and when you're just being greedy and they support you. Not you and a high school you attend?!?

Just to be clear, the dude I was talking about left just because he didn't want to play offensive line. We all played ball and went to school with each other since the 7th. grade so it was a huge betrayal.  He went to the other school and got to play LB so now as an adult, I understand his perspective.

The Eye in the Sky

Quote from: RoadDawg on November 28, 2018, 06:28:33 PM
So now any kid who doesn't stick to their Jr high feeder school is a traitor... lol, really?  Can the same be said for a coach that left a school for what they perceive a better situation?  Your above comment about talent holds true with any team that is loaded, private or public.

My feelings are probably because I come from a 1 team town with a population of 26K and can only speak from that perspective. Going into my Jr year we would've had one of the top RB tandems in the section and more than likely would've won the Sequoia Large School Section title had the player stayed. However his Dad felt he wasn't getting enough carries and took him to Orosi where he led them to the Sequoia Small Championship but lost to DP. We lost in the Semis to eventual Champion Sierra (who we beat for league) So kind of sour grapes from me just being selfish. At the end of the day it was a hell of an experience playing high school football and remain friends.
Coach- " So they're gonna let you run the ball this year huh."
Player-" If they wanna win they will."

gofortwo

If it's such a better situation to transfer then why not do it after 8th grade?  People get caught up in this idea that they should transfer after a bad season or difference of opinions with a coach. Whats the point of playing 2/3 years at one High School then suddenly now it's not a good situation.  These private schools have always been here why not transfer your child for a "better education" going into HS instead of the last year. 

Darth Backer

Quote from: gofortwo on November 29, 2018, 09:28:33 AM
If it's such a better situation to transfer then why not do it after 8th grade?  People get caught up in this idea that they should transfer after a bad season or difference of opinions with a coach. Whats the point of playing 2/3 years at one High School then suddenly now it's not a good situation.  These private schools have always been here why not transfer your child for a "better education" going into HS instead of the last year.

IMO. Someone gets in their ear.

The transfer that made no sense to me was Cropper. He even had Sanger gear at his signing... weird.

Country Club Coach

SJM is as its always been.  They don't have the depth for a D1 playoff run.  And their ability comes and goes dependent on how much parents and alumni want to donate to help supplement their team with talent.   So far they haven't shown the commitment to become the private school powerhouse that other regions of the state have.  If donors did want to make SJM an athletic powerhouse, they certainly could.

InsidePride

I know SJM has in the past couple years received students from CN, not sure if any play football but know they were athletes. Did they transfer for academic reasons? Are SJM's test scores that much better than Clovis Unified? Or were those transfers athletically motivated?

InsidePride