News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Tulare Union vs. SJM

Started by Darth Backer, December 03, 2018, 08:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All Star Kev

Quote from: All Star Kev on December 04, 2018, 10:39:03 PM
SJM's defense will be the best D that TU has seen all year. I don't think they've really been tested. Lamb will be scrambling all night. He's not going to be able to sit back in the pocket and just sling it with Justin Hunt and Tobin Phillips after him all night. MW was a high point scoring, passing team similar to TU. Ask Pineda how that worked out for him against the SJM defense? Josh Kelly is licking his chops at this match up. I have nothing but respect for TU and their accomplishments but I have a feeling they are in for a rude awaking this Saturday night.

It was almost like they scripted the game from my comment. Lamb was scrambling all night. The TU defense had no answer for the SJM receivers. Hunt & Phillips got to Lamb often and had a few sacks. Josh Kelly had a field day and had a couple of picks. Now we know where we sit as far as the valley goes. Now lets see how we perform on the big stage next weekend against Lawndale. Their Coach was sitting right next to us last night scouting. He didn't say much but he sure was taking a lot of notes. I can't wait!
Corinthians 9:24-27

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever

Sixtynine

Quote from: chrissk2002 on December 09, 2018, 09:42:50 AM
Hands Down The Best WR Duo in the valley!!! Kelly and McMillan. There should be no more debate on that!!!

McMillan is such a stud. Can't believe he's only a junior
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

All Star Kev

Quote from: Sixtynine on December 09, 2018, 10:45:19 AM
Such a shame that Memorial played D3 this year. Such a shame and represents a lot of what's wrong with society.

From what I was told by a creditable source was that we petitioned to go up to D2 this past off season and we were denied. At the end of the day the kids can only play the hand they are dealt and I think they have done one helluva job thus far. We were bumped up 2 Divisions from last years playoffs from D4A to D2A so hopefully that "levels the playing field." So no more talk about we were given the easy route to a State Title. If we do indeed win it next weekend. It will definitely be well deserved and hard earned.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever

the football guy

I have watched Central play twice this year.
Watch about 4 games of film on SJM as well as coached against them...
I tweeted this, this  morning...
SJM is better at every position then Central.
Break down every position group from both teams..and SJM is overall better then Central at EVERY position.
And that is coming from a person with no rose tented glasses

bksflddan

Quote from: the football guy on December 09, 2018, 11:19:45 AM
Break down every position group from both teams..and SJM is overall better then Central at EVERY position.

Computer sez:

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2018] Central (Fresno, CA) 42, [2018] San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno, CA) 31

"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

axel foley

'better' is subjective... until you get hit in the mouth...

CWClassof2007

I think Memorial would beat them. Only issue o could potentially see is depth. Does SJM have a lot of guys playing on both sides of the ball?

RoadDawg

Quote from: Sixtynine on December 09, 2018, 10:45:19 AM
Such a shame that Memorial played D3 this year. Such a shame and represents a lot of what's wrong with society.

So now you're blaming society's problems on what Division a football team is placed?  Give me a break... SJM played a far tougher schedule than many D2 teams, to include Tulare Union.  The SJM kids have worked their tails off, and have nothing to do with what Division they were placed in.  Beating TU showed they would have rolled over everyone in D2 as well, so give it a rest. 
"The older I get... The better I was!"

RoadDawg

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on December 09, 2018, 08:24:12 PM
I think Memorial would beat them. Only issue o could potentially see is depth. Does SJM have a lot of guys playing on both sides of the ball?

SJMs has some skill players who go both ways at WR / DB.

Sixtynine

Quote from: RoadDawg on December 09, 2018, 09:33:57 PM
So now you're blaming society's problems on what Division a football team is placed?  Give me a break... SJM played a far tougher schedule than many D2 teams, to include Tulare UnionThe SJM kids have worked their tails off, and have nothing to do with what Division they were placed inBeating TU showed they would have rolled over everyone in D2 as well, so give it a rest.

Not BLAMING society's problems on what Division a football team is placed in

I agree... Memorial did play a harder schedule than most D2 teams. Good on them.

I never blamed the kids. They have nothing to do with it. They earned their championship.

I agree....I never disputed that. They were the best team in D3, D2, and would have been among the top teams in D1

I have never disputed anything that you said for the record. My original post more about it being a shame that this team played D3 (which it was). Would have been fun to throw them in the mix with Central, Buchanan, Liberty, and Bakersfield this year. If they wanted to play up, I'm sure it could have happened.

Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

All Star Kev

Quote from: Sixtynine on December 09, 2018, 10:09:17 PM
Not BLAMING society's problems on what Division a football team is placed in

I agree... Memorial did play a harder schedule than most D2 teams. Good on them.[/color]

I never blamed the kids. They have nothing to do with it. They earned their championship.

I agree....I never disputed that. They were the best team in D3, D2, and would have been among the top teams in D1

I have never disputed anything that you said for the record. My original post more about it being a shame that this team played D3 (which it was). Would have been fun to throw them in the mix with Central, Buchanan, Liberty, and Bakersfield this year. If they wanted to play up, I'm sure it could have happened.

Again... They asked to go up and the were denied.

Roughneck005

Quote from: All Star Kev on December 09, 2018, 11:47:13 PM
Again... They asked to go up and the were denied.

This ^^^^

Untrue.

With the point total accumulation (system that CIF uses to determine divisional placement) that SJM has had over the previous 2 year cycle, as well as their success last year - they had a solid case for moving up should they have asked to. Because it is an off year on the 2 year cycle realignment, the only way they would have moved is if they HAD requested it. They didn't petition to stay down in D3, but they surely did NOT petition to move up to D2.

Having said that - I'm not taking anything away from SJM on their regional win against TU, they earned that win, and again, would have likely won the D2 championship this year in the same fashion. Just making clear that with the current divisional alignment system, there is ALWAYS room for teams to move up (see TW), moving down is much more difficult.
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
-Vince Lombardi

RoadDawg

Quote from: Sixtynine on December 09, 2018, 10:09:17 PM
Not BLAMING society's problems on what Division a football team is placed in.

But, you first stated "Such a shame that Memorial played D3 this year. Such a shame and represents a lot of what's wrong with society."

Guess I cant read...

gofortwo

Quote from: Roughneck005 on December 10, 2018, 07:50:08 AM
This ^^^^

Untrue.

With the point total accumulation (system that CIF uses to determine divisional placement) that SJM has had over the previous 2 year cycle, as well as their success last year - they had a solid case for moving up should they have asked to. Because it is an off year on the 2 year cycle realignment, the only way they would have moved is if they HAD requested it. They didn't petition to stay down in D3, but they surely did NOT petition to move up to D2.

Having said that - I'm not taking anything away from SJM on their regional win against TU, they earned that win, and again, would have likely won the D2 championship this year in the same fashion. Just making clear that with the current divisional alignment system, there is ALWAYS room for teams to move up (see TW), moving down is much more difficult.

This is the truth right here. based on the point system no way they were "denied".

TeddyKGB

SJM is better at every position then than Central.
Break down every position group from both teams..and SJM is overall better then than Central at EVERY position.
And that is coming from a person with no rose tented tinted glasses

I guess then would work if you are ranking SJM and Central against a 3rd team.

BallGuy

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 10, 2018, 01:34:59 PM
I guess then would work if you are ranking SJM and Central against a 3rd team.

All we have is a scrimmage in the preseason, which doesn't hold much water. But we do have a weekend of Central getting killed by a really good team, and SJM beating up a Tulare team. So we do have a recency bias that seems to be coming up.

bksflddan

Quote from: BallGuy on December 10, 2018, 01:48:40 PM
All we have is a scrimmage in the preseason, which doesn't hold much water. But we do have a weekend of Central getting killed by a really good team, and SJM beating up a Tulare team. So we do have a recency bias that seems to be coming up.

Using CalPreps comparison SJM losses to top three seeds in D1 but wins against 4 seed 35~31.
So does SJM belong in D1 or D2? Time will tell ...
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

Beercat

SJM belongs in D1 period  ....

Darth Backer

Quote from: Beercat on December 13, 2018, 09:00:38 AM
SJM belongs in D1 period  ....

Most years, D2 is a perfect fit, they have an extra talented team this season, they won't be playing at a D1 level next season.

Beercat

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 13, 2018, 09:05:49 AM
Most years, D2 is a perfect fit, they have an extra talented team this season, they won't be playing at a D1 level next season.

HA HA HA HA  .... the mere fact that they can re-load easily as a private school is reason enough for them to make the jump to D1. If Saint Joe is in D1 and I believe they will be then why should SJM get to play down? Nuff said  ...

Beercat