News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

The Craziness of the new playoff...

Started by Darth Backer, September 30, 2021, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Backer

With the new system in place and with the current computer rankings we have some teams placed in divisions that would be before just craziness. Here's a few matchups that are particularly insane:

D1
Central vs. Hanford

D2
Clovis West vs. Mission Prep
Clovis North vs. Bishop
Centennial vs. Wasco
Clovis East vs. Washington Union

D3
Redwood vs. Strathmore
Edison vs. Coalinga
Arroyo Grande vs. Dos Palos

D4
Tulare Union vs. Firebaugh...

it goes on and on... Fasten your seat belts, teams have chances to knock off teams they've never dreamed of playing before...

StupidJagoff

Darth Backer

tru guru

Quote from: StupidJagoff on September 30, 2021, 11:22:43 AM
David versus Goliath

Speaking purely in terms of school enrollment, it would indeed be David vs Goliath.  1600 vs 4000 enrollment is significant.

CleverUserName

The D2 matchups are interesting...something about a snowball and hell

TeddyKGB

these match ups will change drastically now that league play is starting.

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on September 30, 2021, 01:03:48 PM
these match ups will change drastically now that league play is starting.

Yes, based on the computer, you can win and drop down if you don't win convincingly vs. teams with a much lower number... or losses can be devastating as well, Kingsburg was a 17.3 prior to the Redwood loss and they are now a 10.5.

But then, a quality loss can help you stay in the division you might want to stay in...

izne1home

Quote from: Darth Backer on September 30, 2021, 08:26:03 AM
Fasten your seat belts, teams have chances to knock off teams they've never dreamed of playing before...

Or, more likely, get destroyed.  A moral victory is the best most of these teams can hope for.  That, and not getting hurt.  If I were a senior, I'm not sure I'd want to go out with that taste in my mouth.   

StupidJagoff

Quote from: Darth Backer on September 30, 2021, 11:28:20 AM
That matchup is probably the least lopsided of the list...

As tru guru eluded to, I was referring to the enrollment size. I'm sure never in the history of Hanford football did they ever imagine playing a D-I state powerhouse in the playoffs.

Darth Backer

Quote from: StupidJagoff on September 30, 2021, 04:44:52 PM
As tru guru eluded to, I was referring to the enrollment size. I'm sure never in the history of Hanford football did they ever imagine playing a D-I state powerhouse in the playoffs.

Let's not get it twisted, Hanford has played with the big boys plenty of times. They played Buchanan in 2016 right after their state championship and played Central twice in both 2012 and 2013 in the preseason. Not to mention scrimmages in the past with Clovis East (Murphy) and Clovis West as well as routinely scrimmaging Central in both the summer and fall. Also handled SJM in one of their championships, I believe in 2015.

RoadDawg

Quote from: StupidJagoff on September 30, 2021, 04:44:52 PM

Hanford HS was D1 for many years, before they opened Hanford West and Sierra Pacific HS. 
"The older I get... The better I was!"

Darth Backer

Quote from: RoadDawg on September 30, 2021, 08:32:51 PM
Hanford HS was D1 for many years, before they opened Hanford West and Sierra Pacific HS.

Well right, from 1892 to 1996 or 1997 they were D1...  :D

eylchamps

Strathmore's success will cost them valley titles. The successful small schools are getting punished.
I guess it's time to lose on purpose to stay down.  :u:
WYL wishes they were the EYL

Darth Backer

Quote from: eylchamps on October 01, 2021, 09:36:42 AM
Strathmore's success will cost them valley titles. The successful small schools are getting punished.
I guess it's time to lose on purpose to stay down.  :u:

Well, the other thing that will start happening, which is an absolute key ingredient here that no one is talking about, is that Strathmore's PRESEASON computer number will start to drop after a few years of playing the bigger schools. Their number is always skewed due to the fact that they run the table playing small schools. No way they should be a 6 right now after the best team they beat is a .01. They started too high to begin with because they win so many games.

izne1home

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 01, 2021, 12:27:59 PM
Their number is always skewed due to the fact that they run the table playing small schools.

The jury's still out, but it will be fun to watch the perennial bullies go from bullers to bullees.   

TeddyKGB

it always comes full circle, we need to go back to 3 playoff brackets: D1&2, D3&4, D 5&6....
1st and 2nd place get in... 2 "wild card" teams per bracket...most have at least a winning record.

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 01, 2021, 01:51:54 PM
it always comes full circle, we need to go back to 3 playoff brackets: D1&2, D3&4, D 5&6....
1st and 2nd place get in... 2 "wild card" teams per bracket...most have at least a winning record.

I like it except that the fact that our leagues are so mixed with multiple divisions, we would have to re-league as well for that system to work.

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on October 01, 2021, 01:51:54 PM

That makes way too much sense to be a viable solution. 

TeddyKGB

Darth I don't believe we have to rearrange the leagues. Are there any leagues with both D1 and D3 and or D4 teams in them, I would guess that since most leagues are divided up geographically that most are going to have a make up of teams with in the same two or three divisions. I would speculate that if a team is say D4 in a league with D1 & D2 teams its not likely that they make the playoffs based on the criteria of 1st or 2nd in the league, we need to get away from the thinking that it needs to be fair or equal. 

TeddyKGB

exactly which CIF title did CW win that is hollow?

TeddyKGB