News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Glaus

Started by Backstop, April 29, 2024, 02:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader123

Quote from: TRAC_Center069 on May 03, 2024, 06:28:50 AMWhat about Scott Isaak? Coached extensively at CW and a brief run at CNHS. Former Bear alumni I believe.
Im pretty sure Scott moved out of town. Havent seen him at any ball games this year

SparkPlug

Quote from: Crusader123 on May 03, 2024, 07:44:55 AMIm pretty sure Scott moved out of town. Havent seen him at any ball games this year
That and he has zero shot of landing this job. 

Closer

Do we know who applied for the job last year? Getting a head coaching job so you can coach your son is a bad idea unless your son is born years after you became a head coach. Papi would be great for Buchanan. Like Smitty too but I don't think you can roll from one TRAC head coaching job to another right away. Labby is doing a great job with Red Sox scout ball and he should keep that going. Great development for the boys.

Governor

Quote from: Closer on May 03, 2024, 09:12:34 AMDo we know who applied for the job last year? Getting a head coaching job so you can coach your son is a bad idea unless your son is born years after you became a head coach. Papi would be great for Buchanan. Like Smitty too but I don't think you can roll from one TRAC head coaching job to another right away. Labby is doing a great job with Red Sox scout ball and he should keep that going. Great development for the boys.

Have to agree here. Papi's presence in the dugout would be felt greatly.

Big Bad Wolf

I don't understand why Smith would leave Clovis East? Like I've said before, he just won a title and has been building that place up for awhile now. He seems very happy where he's at.

I'd imagine it would be hard for Pepsi to leave Fresno with the family history

Crusader123

Quote from: Big Bad Wolf on May 03, 2024, 09:29:34 AMI don't understand why Smith would leave Clovis East? Like I've said before, he just won a title and has been building that place up for awhile now. He seems very happy where he's at.

Well, as previously stated, East is about to be gutted by the new HS. And Smitty is a former Bear. Those two reason alone make it a safe possibility

tru guru

Jay Preuss is always lurking in the deep water off the shores of Clovis.

I also always thought Ed Yockey did a great job at Mount Whitney.  I believe he was recently let go as a coach.

Timmy Winn

Preuss makes some sense too. Would the Buchanan royalty accept him?

ScoutTeamFish3

Quote from: Big Bad Wolf on May 03, 2024, 09:29:34 AMI don't understand why Smith would leave Clovis East? Like I've said before, he just won a title and has been building that place up for awhile now. He seems very happy where he's at.

Papi had his chance and I doubt he wants it now. Although I think he'd look great in the red, white, and blue.

Governor

Jake Humphrey interviewed originally I was told for the Buchanan High job. He would be a great candidate. Great young coach of East High. Connects with our players well.

SparkPlug

Quote from: Governor on May 05, 2024, 02:30:58 PMJake Humphrey interviewed originally I was told for the Buchanan High job. He would be a great candidate. Great young coach of East High. Connects with our players well.

I'm going out on a limb here, but i'm guessing they don't hire a coach without head coaching experience if the big leaguer with no head coaching experience didn't work.

Governor

Quote from: SparkPlug on May 06, 2024, 08:51:07 AMI'm going out on a limb here, but i'm guessing they don't hire a coach without head coaching experience if the big leaguer with no head coaching experience didn't work.

Jake has spent a couple seasons as the Head JV coach.

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Governor on May 06, 2024, 10:23:58 AMJake has spent a couple seasons as the Head JV coach.

You think Buchanan is interested in CE's JV coach? Come on man. This is a big time HS job and I expect to see a ton of interest from all over.

Governor

Quote from: Timmy Winn on May 06, 2024, 11:18:58 AMYou think Buchanan is interested in CE's JV coach? Come on man. This is a big time HS job and I expect to see a ton of interest from all over.

He is a current varsity coach now

BallGuy

Quote from: Timmy Winn on May 06, 2024, 11:18:58 AMYou think Buchanan is interested in CE's JV coach? Come on man. This is a big time HS job and I expect to see a ton of interest from all over.

Idk, it'll be fun to see how the process goes. I don't think the "big time jobs" are all that big time nowadays. With all the changes in transfer policies, parents only seemingly getting worse, I expect a lot more high school coaches burning out or leaving for travel ball programs etc. It's definitely not how it was when people on these forums were in high school

Timmy Winn

Quote from: BallGuy on May 06, 2024, 01:52:54 PMIdk, it'll be fun to see how the process goes. I don't think the "big time jobs" are all that big time nowadays. With all the changes in transfer policies, parents only seemingly getting worse, I expect a lot more high school coaches burning out or leaving for travel ball programs etc. It's definitely not how it was when people on these forums were in high school

The emergence of travel ball really changed the landscape and gave parents more power.

CleverUserName

Quote from: SparkPlug on May 03, 2024, 08:25:44 AMThat and he has zero shot of landing this job. 

This

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Timmy Winn on May 06, 2024, 04:13:45 PMThe emergence of travel ball really changed the landscape and gave parents more power.

I don't know if I would say it gave them power so much as it made it much easier to "take their ball and go elsewhere".

Timmy Winn

Quote from: TeddyKGB on May 07, 2024, 04:22:04 PMI don't know if I would say it gave them power so much as it made it much easier to "take their ball and go elsewhere".
Which gives them more power. Before, if you couldn't cut it at your school you weren't going to play. You had to either transfer (which still didn't guarantee a spot)or give up. Now your parents can pay to put you on a team year around and you can play as much as you like. Money plays.

BallGuy

Quote from: Timmy Winn on May 07, 2024, 04:43:57 PMWhich gives them more power. Before, if you couldn't cut it at your school you weren't going to play. You had to either transfer (which still didn't guarantee a spot)or give up. Now your parents can pay to put you on a team year around and you can play as much as you like. Money plays.

Which, makes it really special to see what Fontes does at Buchanan. He's kind of like the anti travel ball coach. He draws boundaries and parents and players deal with it.

Also, travel ball is diminishing play in large ways, specifically in the valley. There's not enough screw around time being played. All weekend tournaments are high stakes. Kids aren't able to screw around to find what works best for them. Travel ball coaches/private hitting coaches are masters at band aids. A lot of kids can really benefit from overhauls fundamentally, but they can't do it because they are too busy playing these tournaments that give them a plastic ring when you win. Not to mention, these hitting coaches won't benefit from a kid being fixed. It's better business to fix him for the day with a band aid, and have him come back next week wondering why his flaws are still there.

BallGuy