News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Arax

Started by tru guru, September 21, 2023, 08:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 22, 2024, 08:29:13 AMfrom what I have heard/read Arax doesn't pull punches he's old school tell you how it is type so I can see where that would rub the soft people the wrong way.

Yes, but exactly the type of guy I'd want coaching my son.

Speaking of rubbing soft people the wrong way, you should have heard Hartigan's first football meeting for parents. 
Karen Sowby would have to come up afterwards and smooth things over. 

CWClassof2007

Quote from: izne1home on March 22, 2024, 03:59:24 PMYes, but exactly the type of guy I'd want coaching my son.

Speaking of rubbing soft people the wrong way, you should have heard Hartigan's first football meeting for parents. 
Karen Sowby would have to come up afterwards and smooth things over. 
And the program hasn't been the same since he's left.

izne1home

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on March 22, 2024, 05:52:12 PMAnd the program hasn't been the same since he's left.

Nope.   

anthilllegend

Didn't the Golden Eagles play pretty football for about 4 years after Hartigan left.  Marty Martin came with in an eyelash of a VC the first year post Hartigan. In year two (after Hartigan) Gary Joe Kinney won a Valley Title.  Then again (4 years Hartigan AD)....Mike Parsons won a VC against the B-town Drillers.  So the drop off really started in about 2011.  The Anthill is a big fan of Jim Hartigan....but, his run was not as impressive as Randy Blankenship's. Just the Legends opinion.

The Anthilllegend

Darth Backer

Quote from: anthilllegend on March 22, 2024, 09:14:52 PMDidn't the Golden Eagles play pretty football for about 4 years after Hartigan left.  Marty Martin came with in an eyelash of a VC the first year post Hartigan. In year two (after Hartigan) Gary Joe Kinney won a Valley Title.  Then again (4 years Hartigan AD)....Mike Parsons won a VC against the B-town Drillers.  So the drop off really started in about 2011.  The Anthill is a big fan of Jim Hartigan....but, his run was not as impressive as Randy Blankenship's. Just the Legends opinion.

The Anthilllegend

The thing that I noticed about both of those men was their militaristic approach really worked for Clovis West and those types of kids that could be coached "hard". Hartigan was next level when it came to that.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: anthilllegend on March 22, 2024, 09:14:52 PMDidn't the Golden Eagles play pretty football for about 4 years after Hartigan left.  Marty Martin came with in an eyelash of a VC the first year post Hartigan. In year two (after Hartigan) Gary Joe Kinney won a Valley Title.  Then again (4 years Hartigan AD)....Mike Parsons won a VC against the B-town Drillers.  So the drop off really started in about 2011.  The Anthill is a big fan of Jim Hartigan....but, his run was not as impressive as Randy Blankenship's. Just the Legends opinion.

The Anthilllegend
You're correct. But I suspect if Martin, Parosn or Kinne stuck around they wouldn't have had the consistent success that happened under Hartigan. Maybe the opening of Clovis North & the rise of Central contributed to the CW downfall more than the coaching issues.

izne1home

I meant the same from the standpoint that your boys came acting like they'd spent a few months at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island.  Hartigan loved to win, but win or lose, you would learn discipline and responsibility. 

Blankenship is a CW legend.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on March 23, 2024, 12:29:44 PMBlankenship is a CW legend.

Blankenship had an influence on football in the valley until the spread gained popularity. Teams switched the the Wing T here in Kern County, most notably Tehachapi, Foothill, Ridgeview (Crews), Mike Snow ran it at North, Frontier and Stockdale. If I remember correctly Sanger and Bullard ran it.

anthilllegend

The Anthill distinctly remembers Blank's full contact summer camps.  You had to have players from other schools (in the camp) or it was considered a practice (and a CIF violation).  So...he knew a few kids from Porterville (who were running the Wing-T as well) and enrolled them in the camp.  There were about 3 or 4 PHS players and 150 Golden Eagles at "the camp." The Legends first contact with the "real" legend (Blank) was prior to a kick off scrimmage and BBQ in the baseball stadium.  The Ant was a wide-eyed newby...and Blank asked all the parents into the stands.  He then went on to berate the whole lot of us...claiming that there were not anywhere enough adds sold for the game program.  He tossed the sample program at the committee chair and said "bring it back when there was X amount of money in the Ad's).  He then addressed an issue with a parent who had questioned why he was doing something a certain way.  Blank, said "look I'm not to going to show up at your place of work and tell you how to sell witch-its...so don't come to my office and tell me how to coach. End of conversation.  Blankenship and Hartigan has a lot of the same philosophy and demeanor. It was not easy to get inside their circle and harder to get inside their heads.  Great coaches!

The Anthilllegend         

TeddyKGB

Quote from: anthilllegend on March 25, 2024, 02:57:25 PMYou had to have players from other schools (in the camp) or it was considered a practice (and a CIF violation).  So...he knew a few kids from Porterville (who were running the Wing-T as well) and enrolled them in the camp.  There were about 3 or 4 PHS players and 150 Golden Eagles at "the camp."
  He then went on to berate the whole lot of us...claiming that there were not anywhere enough adds sold for the game program.  He tossed the sample program at the committee chair and said "bring it back when there was X amount of money in the Ad's).
 He then addressed an issue with a parent who had questioned why he was doing something a certain way.  Blank, said "look I'm not to going to show up at your place of work and tell you how to sell witch-its...so don't come to my office and tell me how to coach. End of conversation.       

These thing would have never flown in the KHSD...first they would never allow a "camp" that was full contact.
most coaches are walk-ons and they would quit if spoken to too harshly. If a coach spoke like that to a parent there would likely be an interim coach soon after.

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 26, 2024, 10:22:47 AMThese thing would have never flown in the KHSD...first they would never allow a "camp" that was full contact.
most coaches are walk-ons and they would quit if spoken to too harshly. If a coach spoke like that to a parent there would likely be an interim coach soon after.

In my experience at Clovis Unified, it was the other way around.  The district and the community were 100% behind the tough talk.  They'd just a soon all the johnny-come-lately-whiners move back to Fresno. 

anthilllegend

Izne....the Anthill use to live next door to a family....that split the kids.  The aggressive, competitive, out going student...attended Clovis West....the unmotivated one attended school in Fresno Unified.  And you are so right...back in the day, if you didn't like the way things were run/competition...you were free to leave. The district was all the better for their hard nosed meritocracy attitude.  Since then...things are quite a bit softer. If you don't like the way something is done...you run to the ACLU (get a free lawyer) and sue.

The Anthilllegend

izne1home

From meritocracy to mediocracy. 

In hindsight, Clovis should have built a wall.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on March 26, 2024, 10:52:38 AMIn my experience at Clovis Unified, it was the other way around.  The district and the community were 100% behind the tough talk.  They'd just a soon all the johnny-come-lately-whiners move back to Fresno. 

That use to be the way here as well just about every coach was a tough as nails no nonsense buttkicker...
Bakersfield High: Paul Briggs, Pat Preston and Tim Harnett
North High: Turk Eliades
Foothill: Ned Permenter
West: Dallas Grider
South: Don Ward
Tehachapi: Ogilve and Denmen
Arvin: Chuck Chamberlain
Shafter: Jan Stubee
Taft: Newton
garces: John Fanucchi

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 26, 2024, 01:30:57 PMThat use to be the way here as well just about every coach was a tough as nails no nonsense buttkicker...
Bakersfield High: Paul Briggs, Pat Preston and Tim Harnett
North High: Turk Eliades
Foothill: Ned Permenter
West: Dallas Grider
South: Don Ward
Tehachapi: Ogilve and Denmen
Arvin: Chuck Chamberlain
Shafter: Jan Stubee
Taft: Newton
garces: John Fanucchi

We have evolved to a point where we don't tolerate that nonsense anymore. Hard work, accountability, discipline, teamwork, self determination and self respect.  I can't believe we actually used to buy into that.  How bourgeois...

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on March 26, 2024, 01:58:31 PMWe have evolved to a point where we don't tolerate that nonsense anymore. Hard work, accountability, discipline, teamwork, self determination and self respect.  I can't believe we actually used to buy into that.  How bourgeois...

we have traded or I should say sacrificed those qualities in an effort to make life easy the paradox being that with those:  Hard work, accountability, discipline, teamwork, self determination and self respect, instilled at young age life becomes much easier and without it will be far more difficult than it was when those qualities where being bestowed or taught.

anthilllegend

There are a great many who still try to teach these commendable values.  The issue is....fewer and fewer are listening.  The teachers and coaches no longer know what is important to get through life.  All the answers are on social media, specifically Tik
-Tok.  All the lessons of life can be acquired in 45 second videos, and you don't have to take a test afterwards.  No wonder the nation's legislators are currently debating shutting it (Tik-Tok) down in this country.  You don't have to research very deep to figure out who is behind the social media giant...and how they are going to use the medium to plant message's amongst the huddled masses.  And the message sure as hell won't be about... hard work, accountability, discipline, teamwork, determination and self respect.  Those values are too American.

The Anthilllegend

izne1home

Quote from: anthilllegend on March 26, 2024, 03:11:19 PMAll the lessons of life can be acquired in 45 second videos

I suspect they were a little longer than 45-seconds, but watching videos is how Teddy became Bakersfield's highest-paid gigolo. 

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on March 26, 2024, 05:08:23 PMbut watching videos is how Teddy became Bakersfield's highest-paid gigolo. 

its an honest living...

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 27, 2024, 08:22:22 AMits an honest living...

I'm not knocking it. I'm just glad you let me be your pimp. 

izne1home