News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Immanuel Boys Basketball

Started by GoldenHawksFootball, January 21, 2015, 02:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenHawksFootball

Could this be the best boys basketball team in the valley? What division are they in? They're 16-2 and steam rolling teams. They have beaten quite a few great D1 level basketball teams. Is Hanford #2? Hanford is 15-3. I am unsure what to make of this because you have so many solid lower level division teams. I think basketball has to be the sport where the divisions make the least sense because from 1 year to the next all it takes is 5 really stellar athletes to emerge from a school that perhaps hasn't been very successful in the past.

RoadDawg

Immanuel has stepped up their recruiting, and deserves the #1 overall ranking, regardless of their Division.  Hanford is very good, and should be a D3 school...but as you state the Divisions make no sense.  Currently, I think the Fresno Bee has really accurate rankings.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2015/01/21/4341617/prep-basketball-the-bees-central.html
"The older I get... The better I was!"

CWClassof2007

Immanuel is definitely #1. They'll win D4 easily & probably contend for the state chamoionship. It all depends on which schools get moved into the Open Division for state playoffs.

Coach559

Do you think they would put Immanuel in the Open Division for the State Playoffs?

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Coach559 on January 22, 2015, 09:22:54 AM
Do you think they would put Immanuel in the Open Division for the State Playoffs?
I'm not sure on the criteria for the open division buy my guess is no. If they were in Northern California then I think there's a good chance. Capital Christian from Sacramento was D5 in their section last year & they play in the Open Divison for the state playoffs. They lost to state runner up Bishop O'Dowd in the NorCal finals. But they're not at the sense level as the private schools they'd play on the state playoffs.

Glenn

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on January 21, 2015, 02:34:57 PM
Could this be the best boys basketball team in the valley? What division are they in? They're 16-2 and steam rolling teams. They have beaten quite a few great D1 level basketball teams. Is Hanford #2? Hanford is 15-3. I am unsure what to make of this because you have so many solid lower level division teams. I think basketball has to be the sport where the divisions make the least sense because from 1 year to the next all it takes is 5 really stellar athletes to emerge from a school that perhaps hasn't been very successful in the past.

this Sound like when Grant was at cvc   few Years ago Stream thru the league and non league game

their are Best team this season from Last season

good Luck the Immanuel  Boys team   :-)   i always class act  i will get the chance see thems when their come to cvc   :-)   
2015 CSL Champs  and 
2017 VC Runner up
2018  CSL Co Champs 
2018   State champs Runner up 

Send 2013  we be to Division Valley Playoff    

Ethel Ann Grimes Woodall
May 30 ,1938  to  April 27,2010

axel foley

immanuel lost in the modesto christian tournament because of their lack of height.  the northern california...bay and sac private schools are far superior than immanuel. they wouldnt survive in the open division.  o'dowd looks pretty unstoppable while winning games in georgia and chicago this year.

sodbuster

Is there anyone here who can actually explain how the CA classification system works? I'm from here originally, and I think a long time ago, it was based on enrollment. That's the criteria in almost every other state. Some states also exclude private schools like Immanuel from the lower divisions because of their ability to recruit. They can stay small, but still access a large talent pool, whereas if your coaching a team like, say, Tranquillity, you just get whomever happens to grow up in Tranquillity and San Joaquin. That's the extent of your talent pool.

The current classification seems kind of communist to me - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.  If you win a little bit too much, they punish you by moving you up - even though the kids that will end up playing up will likely not be the same ones who won... If you lose to much, they move you down.

RoadDawg

Quote from: sodbuster on January 26, 2015, 09:39:20 PM
The current classification seems kind of communist to me - from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.  If you win a little bit too much, they punish you by moving you up - even though the kids that will end up playing up will likely not be the same ones who won... If you lose to much, they move you down.

Search this site a little... Most agree with you, and this topic has been discussed ad nauseam...

axel foley

Is there anyone here who can actually explain how the CA classification system works? I'm from here originally, and I think a long time ago, it was based on enrollment. That's the criteria in almost every other state. Some states also exclude private schools like Immanuel from the lower divisions because of their ability to recruit. They can stay small, but still access a large talent pool, whereas if your coaching a team like, say, Tranquillity, you just get whomever happens to grow up in Tranquillity and San Joaquin. That's the extent of your talent pool.

some schools cry about it....most dont mind...u get nothing out of beating inferior foes just because your town size is the same. you only need 8-10 players to be a great basketball team.

lollygagger

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on January 21, 2015, 02:34:57 PM

Mission Oak is #2 they have beaten Hanford twice and are 20-1 they would give Immanuel a really good game, they have the athletes and skill level to play with Immanuel.

RoadDawg

Quote from: axel foley on January 27, 2015, 04:31:20 PM
some schools cry about it....most dont mind...u get nothing out of beating inferior foes just because your town size is the same. you only need 8-10 players to be a great basketball team.

I disagree...  The big schools don't mind because it doesn't affect them.  However, talk to folks around the Hanford or Corcoran girls basketball programs or El Diamante, Tulare, Kingsburg, Dinuba football programs, etc... and they will tell you they are punished for success.  The biggest issue is the players change from year to year, and kids are punished for their predecessors. 

GoldenHawksFootball

Sod buster, the overall conclusion that this site has come to grips with is that I don't think there is a perfect solution where everyone would be happy. That's sort of the approach the CIF Central Section takes. If it weren't their competitive equality system, another system would be picked apart and basically as inept as this one. I could see another argument on the other side would be that the small high schools that are run, from a quality stand point, like the large Clovis High Schools would have the unfair advantage. Some schools, league, etc. is always crying foul. Football wise...high schools like Sanger, Ridgeview, Garces, Kingsburg, Dinuba, Mission Oak, BCHS and CVC to a lesser degree... are all schools that have enjoyed success in the last few years that have been moved up. The smaller schools I don't think if Kingsburg wins 4 section championships in a row they should stay in the same division. That's just me.. They are sort of the exception to the rule that divisions should be created by school size. If you do it that way, those schools like Kingsburg dominate every year, winning valley championships and the schools on the bottom never see their way out of the cellar. It's a sad reality. And the possibility of a valley championship, let alone a league championship are about as possible as Fresno State winning the college football national championship. Now, believe me I am an "all things are possible" type guy. But it's just not very realistic. So those same schools that I mentioned that are sort of in the mid tier because A) they are primarily small schools and B) they win a high percentage every season so they are the same schools that sort of get shafted. So what you have with competitive equality is typically the top large schools stay put, the bottom small sized schools stay put, and the mid tier schools that win and are small typically move. You haven't seen too many large schools move down with the exception of Tulare and El Diamante in football. And that is simply because they don't have a large school D1 league in Tulare or Visalia. I believe because they aren't large enough like Bakersfield that has the SWYL and Clovis that has the TRAC and Fresno that has the CMAC. They might have a couple schools every other year that could compete like a Garces or a Lemoore but not every season. So that makes it difficult to seed them and also the schools have to be willing to go where they should be and that doesn't always work out. Case in point Ridgeview. They were a legit D2 team 2-3 years ago. This last year they were a legit D1 team. Now basketball is a different beast! Again you have problems because it only takes 5 really great athletes to have a stellar team on the court at 1 time. You don't need to be Clovis West to be the best team every year. You can be Immanuel. I honestly would like to see them rank the teams at the end of league based on competition, record, athletes etc. The coaches could put the schools where they belong so a school like Immanuel can have a crack at Bullard or CW. From a fan point of view, it's great. But Immanuel probably won't be at that level every year due to #'s. But you never know....

GoldenHawksFootball