News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

FUSD Lantinx Graduation Ceremony

Started by izne1home, March 15, 2023, 03:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Quote from: izne1home on March 15, 2023, 03:36:01 PM
FUSD's First Lantinx Graduation Ceremony

What's wrong with this picture?

what's wrong is that these idiots that want this don't see that the whole "separate but equal" thing didn't work out in favor of minorities.

BallGuy

Quote from: izne1home on March 15, 2023, 03:36:01 PM
FUSD's First Lantinx Graduation Ceremony

What's wrong with this picture?

https://news.yahoo.com/plans-works-fresno-unified-first-171052929.html (for those like me without a subscription)

I'm all good to find new ways to go about things, and I commend them. Seems like they are cutting off the face despite the nose (may have misworded that saying, but you get it).

TeddyKGB

Ballguy something tells me you align with anything and everything that is "left" solely based on it being of liberal ideology.

Coastfan

Any way Iz you can post that article here? The Fresno Bee, just like every other news daily, wants my money :(

TeddyKGB

Coastfan

I get a "subscribe to continue reading"...must've read so many articles already without clearing my cache at work :)

izne1home

Quote from: Coastfan on March 16, 2023, 08:53:30 AM
Any way Iz you can post that article here? The Fresno Bee, just like every other news daily, wants my money :(

Here's the text:

In the majority Latinx district of Fresno Unified, students say it's time for a graduation ceremony that honors the Latinx student body specifically.

Members of the district's Global Student League from Edison High School recently presented to the school board their vision for a "Chicanx Latinx High School Recognition Celebration," which would feature Spanish as the primary language, special recognition for first-generation high school graduates, and mariachi performers, among other distinctions. While certain details, such as the cost and a specific date, remain unclear, the district is on its way to hosting its first Latinx graduation celebration this spring.

"A ceremony will happen this year, with potential expansion next year as the number of additional community sponsors increases," district spokesperson Diana Diaz said in an email to The Bee's Education Lab. McLane High School's stadium should serve as the venue in June, the students said, and be open to 400 seniors on a first-come, first-serve basis. "We wanted something," said Edison sophomore Mariela Hernández Arellano, "where our culture, language and academic achievements are recognized and celebrated."  Students hope the celebration primarily "in a language that our families can understand," would help boost graduation rates among the district's Latinx students and Spanish speakers.

For the past five graduating classes, graduation rates for Hispanic students have hovered between 85% and 89%, according to California Department of Education data. That's nearly identical to the district as a whole over the same period. Among Hispanic English learners, however, those rates trail behind. Those students climbed from a five-year low of 70% in the 2019-20 year to 78% in the 2021-22 year – but that was still more than 10% lower than the Class of 2022 as a whole. The students proposed activities to specifically honor graduating Spanish speakers, including recognition for students who receive a seal of biliteracy in Spanish and English on their diplomas. Other leaders in Fresno are already on board with the plan.

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval has agreed to serve as the keynote speaker for the Class of 2023's celebration, university spokesperson Lisa Bell confirmed to the Ed Lab, though she added that the president has yet to agree to a specific date. Councilmember Miguel Arias also spoke in support of the proposal at the March 8 board meeting, stating the city is offering its "full support" and that it would help fund the ceremony as needed. Education Lab newsletter Exploring the early education, K-12 and higher education issues critical to our community. 

Trustees commended the students' plan as well. "I think a handful of us on this board are also (coming) from Spanish-speaking households," said Trustee Claudia Cazares, "(and) spoke Spanish as our first language. So we're happy to be able to support you." "We're past due," added student board member Joseph Aquino, "of honoring the Latino community." Moving forward, the students asked for the district's help spreading the word about the ceremony to seniors at FUSD's high schools, transporting students to the event, and dedicating a district representative for the planning committee in advance of the proposed June event.

chingata

would be nice if Latinos/Latinas, who just want to be part of the regular graduation, rip up this special invite from the LatinX community.  But I'll bet that they won't do that since the Left likes to segregate and hold grudges.  they will remember the students who opted out and will hold it against them for the rest of their lives. 

TeddyKGB

chingata you have to remember that in today's day and age one doesn't just have to accept another's opinion they have to embrace and celebrate it or they are branded a racist, sexist, homophobe, or whatever else the accuser sees fit.

izne1home

Taking over/under bets on the number of days before the Proud Boys sponsor a Caucasian Graduation Ceremony.  We will start at 30 days. 

TeddyKGB

have you seen the new Chris Rock special on Netflix?

izne1home

TeddyKGB

Watch the whole thing, its really good.

BallGuy

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 16, 2023, 08:35:59 AM
Ballguy something tells me you align with anything and everything that is "left" solely based on it being of liberal ideology.

You'd be wrong. Also IRL is different than here. Here I skew more left than I actually am to try to have a varying opinion. Think we are more aligned than you'd think, but it's all good. Lived in the Bay Area I was labled conservative, live in the CV and I'm labled a woke lib. Call me what you want, think what you want, it's all good. I just try to look through agendas on TV and political bs, not necessarily align myself to either party. But again, assume all you want  :D

Also-I posted the Yahoo link because you don't need a Fresno Bee subscription to read it.

Quote from: chingata on March 16, 2023, 10:28:01 AM
would be nice if Latinos/Latinas, who just want to be part of the regular graduation, rip up this special invite from the LatinX community.  But I'll bet that they won't do that since the Left likes to segregate and hold grudges.  they will remember the students who opted out and will hold it against them for the rest of their lives. 

Again, this is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Embracing cultures is great, first gen HS grads is/are something(s) to be proud of, but assimilation into a culture of which you immigrated is important. Inserting translations or captions could be a way to help these families, if that was their intention.

izne1home

Quote from: BallGuy on March 16, 2023, 02:39:50 PM
Inserting translations or captions could be a way to help these families, if that was their intention.

From what I understand about FUSD's graduation requirements, half the graduates could probably also benefit from translations or captions. 

Better yet, pictures. 

BallGuy

Quote from: izne1home on March 16, 2023, 03:00:07 PM
From what I understand about FUSD's graduation requirements, half the graduates could probably also benefit from translations or captions. 

Better yet, pictures. 

It's graduating high school. You'd think FUSD would spring for the pop up book version

eylchamps

Mecha does this in colleges and universities. They do it the day after the big ceremonies. Their rational; the parents can have a ceremony in spanish. I, of course, did not participate. I think it's dumb and useless. Now, I can trace my family back to Mexico for generations but there is no need for this.
As for white ceremony, what kind of white? german, dutch, english, welch and so on. white is too broad. we all know American white is a mix of a lot of different countries
The same can be said for native ceremonies, what tribe are we talking about?
Asian ceremony, which country?
see the point
WYL wishes they were the EYL

TeddyKGB

Quote from: BallGuy on March 16, 2023, 02:39:50 PM
You'd be wrong. Also IRL is different than here. Here I skew more left than I actually am to try to have a varying opinion. Think we are more aligned than you'd think, but it's all good. Lived in the Bay Area I was labled conservative, live in the CV and I'm labled a woke lib. Call me what you want, think what you want, it's all good. I just try to look through agendas on TV and political bs, not necessarily align myself to either party. But again, assume all you want  :D

I never assume, I base my thinking on facts that I have and will change my opinion once new facts are presented. I didn't call you anything I said you struck me as someone that takes the liberal "side" based solely on it being liberal and that was based on what you have said here...not sure how you would expect me to base an opinion on anything other than what you have said here.

BallGuy

Again, tough to convey tone and all that over text. How I convey myself on here, I wouldn't blame you if you did. All good~

BallGuy