News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Harbaugh suspended

Started by TeddyKGB, July 26, 2023, 11:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeddyKGB

How does this make any sense to anyone? Buying a kid a burger is bad, giving a kid NIL deal is ok?

izne1home

If I were Harbaugh, I'd want to know which recruit ratted him out and where that kid winds up playing... 

BallGuy

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 26, 2023, 11:14:57 AM
How does this make any sense to anyone? Buying a kid a burger is bad, giving a kid NIL deal is ok?

NCAA needs to tread lightly. Just shows how corrupt the people running sports are. NCAA, FIFA, I may have run out of examples-but still haha.

IMO-just a matter of time until the SEC succeeds from the NCAA (after acquiring USC, UCLA, Michigan and Ohio State).

eylchamps

Quote from: BallGuy on July 26, 2023, 11:56:49 AM
NCAA needs to tread lightly. Just shows how corrupt the people running sports are. NCAA, FIFA, I may have run out of examples-but still haha.

IMO-just a matter of time until the SEC succeeds from the NCAA (after acquiring USC, UCLA, Michigan and Ohio State).

SEC has 3 teams on top and the rest are D2 programs. Big 10 is deeper than the SEC. Big 10 would take Bama, LSU, Texas, OK, Georgia and Clemson.
As for the coach, this happened before the NIL stuff was made legal, from I read. I could be wrong. So, punishing the coach for an incident that happened 3 years ago, almost.
let's look at the schedule, he will not miss any big games. UNLV, Rutgers, East Car and Bowling Green. Come on, coach was smart to take the hit early.
WYL wishes they were the EYL

TeddyKGB

I like the BIG 10 but I'm not sure I would say its deeper than the SEC.

BallGuy

Quote from: eylchamps on July 26, 2023, 01:03:45 PM
SEC has 3 teams on top and the rest are D2 programs. Big 10 is deeper than the SEC. Big 10 would take Bama, LSU, Texas, OK, Georgia and Clemson.
As for the coach, this happened before the NIL stuff was made legal, from I read. I could be wrong. So, punishing the coach for an incident that happened 3 years ago, almost.
let's look at the schedule, he will not miss any big games. UNLV, Rutgers, East Car and Bowling Green. Come on, coach was smart to take the hit early.

Deeper or not, doesn't matter. SEC, as a whole, can put the NCAA out of business if/when it decides that enough is enough. The saying on every college stadium is "It just means more" is not just words. It's legit. Sports in the south mean more than anywhere else in the nation.

In terms of the suspension-not a good look for JH, as he puts stuff out there that he is above the rest in terms of teams like A&M and Bama etc. My understanding is it wasn't about the burger he bought outside the recruiting period, but that he lied to the NCAA investigators.

eylchamps

Quote from: BallGuy on July 26, 2023, 02:42:48 PM
Deeper or not, doesn't matter. SEC, as a whole, can put the NCAA out of business if/when it decides that enough is enough. The saying on every college stadium is "It just means more" is not just words. It's legit. Sports in the south mean more than anywhere else in the nation.

In terms of the suspension-not a good look for JH, as he puts stuff out there that he is above the rest in terms of teams like A&M and Bama etc. My understanding is it wasn't about the burger he bought outside the recruiting period, but that he lied to the NCAA investigators.

I have to disagree with you on one point, SEC can't put the NCAA out of business. They are a football conference, no question. They have a few basketball and baseball teams. But they don't dominate like they say. If you look at the all the 22-23 titles in NCAA, SEC was not the top conference.
I would say SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12, combined, can make the NCAA worry about their future. I don't see one conference with that much control.
I am a fan to revamp the NCAA, strip them of power, but, one conference can't do it alone.
I think we are moving to that with all the changes in 2024. And I hope they do. the 4 conferences will make changes and the NCAA will follow.

BallGuy

Quote from: eylchamps on July 27, 2023, 02:13:40 PM
I have to disagree with you on one point, SEC can't put the NCAA out of business. They are a football conference, no question. They have a few basketball and baseball teams. But they don't dominate like they say. If you look at the all the 22-23 titles in NCAA, SEC was not the top conference.
I would say SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12, combined, can make the NCAA worry about their future. I don't see one conference with that much control.
I am a fan to revamp the NCAA, strip them of power, but, one conference can't do it alone.
I think we are moving to that with all the changes in 2024. And I hope they do. the 4 conferences will make changes and the NCAA will follow.

You're missing my point, rather I am doing a bad job making it. The interest of sports in the SEC and their fan based dwarfs all other conferences, and the money that gets poured into them, IMO, can take down the NCAA if they wanted to. Similar to a LIV/PGA take down.

Speaking of baseball only, you saying they have a few good teams is laughable. They had 8 of their teams in the top 25 to end the season. They are head and shoulders above every other conference and it is not even close. Talk to any baseball guy. That said, I follow it closely, so don't fault you on that at all.

Yes they are a "football" conference. But we're talking about revenue generating sports. I know Stanford is always up there in the most titles year in and year out. That's not the point-at all. ESPN/CBS and all the other tv channels don't give a rip about waterpolo, and all the other revenue irrelevant sports.

As I said, IF SEC wanted to, yes they can take down the NCAA. It would be a super conference, taking one or two PAC12, 4 or so big10, etc with it. It's not my idea, it was on a Podcast I listened to with some college analysts and former coaches.

TeddyKGB

I agree with eyl the SEC doesn't wield that much power in the NCAA,  there are 39 sports that the NCAA crowns a national champion in... the SEC dominates Football, coincidently the only sport that matters and it doesn't crown a cheerleading champion which also ends the argument that cheerleading is a sport. However since football likely finances those other 38 sports with the exception of mens basketball, it may have have some some influence we have all seen what the CW Booster have pulled off.

BallGuy

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 27, 2023, 02:50:25 PM
I agree with eyl the SEC doesn't wield that much power in the NCAA,  there are 39 sports that the NCAA crowns a national champion in... the SEC dominates Football, coincidently the only sport that matters and it doesn't crown a cheerleading champion which also ends the argument that cheerleading is a sport. However since football likely finances those other 38 sports with the exception of mens basketball, it may have have some some influence we have all seen what the CW Booster have pulled off.

Fair...So what happens with the NCAA when you take away their best revenue producing sport? It's like taking away Chrome away from Google, iPhone away from Apple, AWS away from Amazon. Sure, they'll survive, but only long enough to go back to the table and work out a deal with the SEC, similar to the LIV/PGA thing I brought up.

TeddyKGB

I see what you're getting at Ball but lets assume the SEC left the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't allow their teams to play against the SEC, the SEC then makes it's own national championship? I haven't liked the way the NCAA does things years, so I am all for some changes.

eylchamps

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 27, 2023, 03:31:59 PM
I see what you're getting at Ball but lets assume the SEC left the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't allow their teams to play against the SEC, the SEC then makes it's own national championship? I haven't liked the way the NCAA does things years, so I am all for some changes.

watching Bama vs Georgia every year for their title would get old fast. watching the other conferences would be better. ohio st vs Clemson, Baylor vs Penn State and so on. SEC would come back to the NCAA. We are only talking about football. SEC basketball and other sports will be horrible to watch. No one would pay to see Vandy volleyball against Ole Miss.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: eylchamps on July 27, 2023, 04:16:37 PM
No one would pay to see Vandy volleyball against Ole Miss.

If I were in Nashville I would pay the $10 to watch

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 27, 2023, 04:22:52 PM
If I were in Nashville I would pay the $10 to watch

You are quite the voyeur.  When we were in Tijuana, you paid $10 to watch there too.  But that involved a domesticated farm animal, so not totally the same. 

BallGuy

Quote from: TeddyKGB on July 27, 2023, 03:31:59 PM

The way I would see it would be the SEC making a super conference. Ohio State, Michigan, ND, SC, UCLA, Clemson would all be in. National conference with 32 teams. SEC National championship. Again, it's not happening, but I do think NCAA is in trouble if they keep pulling on the yarn.

BallGuy