News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Joe Manchin

Started by izne1home, November 10, 2023, 08:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

"I know our country isn't as divided as Washington wants us to believe. We share common values of family, freedom, democracy, dignity and a belief that together we can overcome any challenge. We need to take back America and not let this divisive hatred further pull us apart."

This could get interesting. 

Coastfan

It seems to me that Senator Manchin sees what many Democrats see (for whatever reason the DNC does not see...?) that President Biden should not seek another term. So, he and RFK Jr. are taking circuitous routes to force the DNCs hands to usher Biden off stage left and supplant him with Gov. Whitmer, Newsome, or Pritzker (maybe Michelle Obama)? The reason this may work is because the brass at the DNC will figure that Manchin and RFK Jr. would take votes away from Biden in the general election (and more importantly in battleground states). Plus, just last week, Trump is beating Biden in five of six battleground states according to the most recent polls! Wow! He is indicted on every count imaginable, has been voted to be impeached, and yet Trump's popularity and brand has never been stronger. Right, wrong, or indifferent, President Trump will be the next US President, unless two outcomes occur in the next couple of months: he is found guilty in one of his many court trials or the DNC strong arms Biden, gives him a pat pat, and introduces Americans to one of those four mentioned above. Of course, this could be some mixed up tea leaves, but it seems this is where we are headed.

TeddyKGB

I don't much follow politics but I would agree that the country is not as divided as the media would have people believe.

Timmy Winn

I'm completely bewildered by Trump. I'll never understand how I see things so differently than the people who ardently support him. With that said he is more popular than ever with his base and if the election were today he would probably win. All things considered, that is amazing to me.

izne1home

Quote from: Coastfan on November 13, 2023, 01:09:38 PM
It seems to me that Senator Manchin sees what many Democrats see (for whatever reason the DNC does not see...?) that President Biden should not seek another term. So, he and RFK Jr. are taking circuitous routes to force the DNCs hands to usher Biden off stage left and supplant him with Gov. Whitmer, Newsome, or Pritzker (maybe Michelle Obama)? The reason this may work is because the brass at the DNC will figure that Manchin and RFK Jr. would take votes away from Biden in the general election (and more importantly in battleground states). Plus, just last week, Trump is beating Biden in five of six battleground states according to the most recent polls! Wow! He is indicted on every count imaginable, has been voted to be impeached, and yet Trump's popularity and brand has never been stronger. Right, wrong, or indifferent, President Trump will be the next US President, unless two outcomes occur in the next couple of months: he is found guilty in one of his many court trials or the DNC strong arms Biden, gives him a pat pat, and introduces Americans to one of those four mentioned above. Of course, this could be some mixed up tea leaves, but it seems this is where we are headed.

I'm as bewildered by Trump as Timmy, but I dont' think a guilty verdict will disqualify him.  It will only embolden his support.  The best thing the left can do is quit talking about him, but they are more obsessed with him than my MAGA hat-wearing uncle in Caruthers.  He might lose his right to vote and might be sitting in prison on election night, but scratching him from the ticket is unlikely.  And while Trump is beating Biden in the battleground states, I don't think the others would do much better.  If the DNC wants to win, they'd better pull Michelle Obama out of the hat.  I heard they also reached out to Dwayne Johnson.

I like Joe Manchin.  I'd listen to what he has to say. 

Timmy Winn

Quote from: izne1home on November 13, 2023, 04:28:23 PM
I'm as bewildered by Trump as Timmy, but I dont' think a guilty verdict will disqualify him.  It will only embolden his support.  The best thing the left can do is quit talking about him, but they are more obsessed with him than my MAGA hat-wearing uncle in Caruthers.  He might lose his right to vote and might be sitting in prison on election night, but scratching him from the ticket is unlikely.  And while Trump is beating Biden in the battleground states, I don't think the others would do much better.  If the DNC wants to win, they'd better pull Michelle Obama out of the hat.  I heard they also reached out to Dwayne Johnson.

I like Joe Manchin.  I'd listen to what he has to say.
I think Trump supporters and detractors alike would consider America, and democracy, a failure if it's president is sitting in jail. That doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome right now. The Rock ain't running for anything. If they push Biden out Newsom will jump at the opportunity. He's already running a shadow campaign anyway.

BallGuy

Quote from: Timmy Winn on November 13, 2023, 07:05:21 PM
I think Trump supporters and detractors alike would consider America, and democracy, a failure if it's president is sitting in jail. That doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome right now. The Rock ain't running for anything. If they push Biden out Newsom will jump at the opportunity. He's already running a shadow campaign anyway.

Pretty much agree with everyone. I think politics in general are on the verge of a major shake-up, and I think Trump was the catalyst. That said, I just can't see him being president again. It's amazing his support though.

Nate Silver had a post recently where he was talking to prognosticators, and he still had Biden over Trump, despite the poles. Point being, when it comes to battlegrounds/swing states, they are thinking voters will pick Biden over Trump on election day, and much of the poles now are voters displeased with our president now, but still see him as being better than trump-when it comes to actually voting for president. All interesting things

Coastfan

The issue with that prognostication, BallGuy, is the same concept was thought in 2016 with Trump v. Clinton. All the polls indicated that Clinton would beat Trump with many having her victory be an electoral landslide. I would say that many were shocked at the result then.
2024 presents a different look at former President Trump and the key issue is going to be abortion. During his tenure as President, Trump was the most "pro-life" President with the executive orders that he signed as well as his nominations to the Supreme Court. Since Roe v. Wade was overturned, and the issue of abortion was kicked back to the states, abortion rights are being strengthened even in Red States. Democrats know that this is their issue; this is what their nominee will campaign on (I do not think this is going to be President Biden): restoring abortion rights even to the point of birth. Trump sees this. His comments regarding abortion have softened; he is using terms such as compromise and we shall see. He knows that this issue will prevent him from winning battleground states, so he is already setting up the opportunity to be "flexible" on the issue and will not take a hardline approach.

BallGuy

Quote from: Coastfan on November 14, 2023, 09:08:18 AM
The issue with that prognostication, BallGuy, is the same concept was thought in 2016 with Trump v. Clinton. All the polls indicated that Clinton would beat Trump with many having her victory be an electoral landslide. I would say that many were shocked at the result then.
2024 presents a different look at former President Trump and the key issue is going to be abortion. During his tenure as President, Trump was the most "pro-life" President with the executive orders that he signed as well as his nominations to the Supreme Court. Since Roe v. Wade was overturned, and the issue of abortion was kicked back to the states, abortion rights are being strengthened even in Red States. Democrats know that this is their issue; this is what their nominee will campaign on (I do not think this is going to be President Biden): restoring abortion rights even to the point of birth. Trump sees this. His comments regarding abortion have softened; he is using terms such as compromise and we shall see. He knows that this issue will prevent him from winning battleground states, so he is already setting up the opportunity to be "flexible" on the issue and will not take a hardline approach.

There is nothing up here that I disagree with. Just disappointed with it all, if I'm being honest. It's such a joke, that these two men are what we have as options to lead us. And, I'm not standing on an island. It seems like EVERY democrat I talk to hates Biden as a candidate, and 90% of Republicans want someone other than Trump (not sure on the 90%, but I do think it's a [very] loud vocal minority that are staunch Trump supporters).

Timmy Winn

Quote from: BallGuy on November 14, 2023, 10:35:29 AM
There is nothing up here that I disagree with. Just disappointed with it all, if I'm being honest. It's such a joke, that these two men are what we have as options to lead us. And, I'm not standing on an island. It seems like EVERY democrat I talk to hates Biden as a candidate, and 90% of Republicans want someone other than Trump (not sure on the 90%, but I do think it's a [very] loud vocal minority that are staunch Trump supporters).

I think most Republicans know that trump is the only R that can win an election. They can act like they don't want him, but they do. DeSantis is a fraud, maybe not even a real human(also walking on stilts because he is so insecure), Vivek is an opportunist (the republican Newsom, looks good in a suit but says whatever he needs to to gain support), Christie is a perpetual 'also-ran', Haley is OK, but I don't believe that Rs will support a female candidate. RFK Jr, is the wildcard. If Trump is somehow off ballot I could see his supporters gravitating to RFK Jr. and strengthening RFKs chances. Either way the landscape is dire. I see no hope in either party.

izne1home

Quote from: Timmy Winn on November 14, 2023, 12:29:14 PM
Either way the landscape is dire. I see no hope in either party.

Joe Manchin and I would agree. 

izne1home

Quote from: Timmy Winn on November 13, 2023, 07:05:21 PM
If they push Biden out Newsom will jump at the opportunity. He's already running a shadow campaign anyway.

Does Harris go out to pasture with Biden, or stay on the ticket with Newsom?  He might have to choose his poison on that one. 

Timmy Winn

Quote from: izne1home on November 14, 2023, 03:03:41 PM
Does Harris go out to pasture with Biden, or stay on the ticket with Newsom?  He might have to choose his poison on that one.

Newsom wants NOTHING to do with Harris. She's done when Biden is done. She was foolish to accept the VP, it is not a clear path to the presidency and is more of a mascot type role. If she truly had presidential aspirations she made a calculated mistake in accepting a role that neuters you for 4 or 8 years.

tru guru

I was recently in Charleston, WV on business.  I was in a local Brew Pub and struck up a conversation with several local folks.  After learning I was from California, they started asking questions about Newsom and if I thought he was running for President.  They were enamored with him and really thought he should replace Biden.  Personally, I feel he is the anti-Christ, but I would not discount his chances should he end up running.  Obviously a very small sample size, but perhaps worth noting......

bksflddan

As an independent having Manchin and RFK, Jr running will subtract votes from Dem candidate ...

"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

eylchamps

after watching highlights of the GOP debates, 3 Trumptards, one confused candidate and nothing new or promising. They can't even speak ill of Trump. GOP is getting worse by the day. Third option until a Reagan conservative rises to the top.
WYL wishes they were the EYL

izne1home

Of those four, I'd take Christie.  I don't understand why he isn't doing better. 

eylchamps

Quote from: izne1home on December 10, 2023, 01:30:39 PMOf those four, I'd take Christie.  I don't understand why he isn't doing better. 

If I have to pick, I agree with you. Christie would be the closes to Reagan, fiscal conservative. The others are social issues conservative but fiscal liberals.
I like how Christie dared the other 3 to say something bad about Trump and they just stood there saying nothing. That is the GOP today. Trump is the party and can't speak ill of the savior. Dumbbutt Trumptards

eylchamps