News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Buchanan News

Started by Old man scout, June 07, 2023, 01:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old man scout

Heard from very reliable sources that Fontes is leaving due to health concerns hope all the best to Brad a very nice guy wish him the best. No telling who the next coach will be.

Old man scout

SparkPlug

Quote from: Old man scout on June 07, 2023, 01:23:45 PM
Heard from very reliable sources that Fontes is leaving due to health concerns hope all the best to Brad a very nice guy wish him the best. No telling who the next coach will be.

Very possible Josh L.  His kids are in the Buchanan area.  Makes a lot of sense. 

SparkPlug

Timmy Winn

Bummer. I'm not a big Buchanan fan but I really like Fontes...good guy. If this is true, I hope the health concern is not too serious. As spark plug says, Labby makes some sense and he'd be great. But if this position opens I think you'll get applicants from all over and have a handful of really interesting options to choose from.

Timmy Winn

TRAC_Center069

Ryan Smith leaves CEHS and goes back home to Buchanan

TRAC_Center069

Timmy Winn

Quote from: TRAC_Center069 on June 07, 2023, 04:10:36 PM

That would kill the momentum that CE has built. I have no idea what the profile of their ideal candidate is but I'd imagine being an alumnus couldn't hurt. Smith is a really good coach too. Impressed with the direction of the CE program. For CE's sake I hope he stays there.

Timmy Winn

Governor

Quote from: TRAC_Center069 on June 07, 2023, 04:10:36 PM

I would hope not. He's done great things at East High.

Here's my list...

Josh Labby - obvious

Brandon Simon - Coach if the year in California last year

Jason Papi - Great guy. That guy can coach! His teams go far

Derek Kuhn - young guy. Knows his players and has great teams

Pat Where - One of the best coaches in valley. Teams would reach out for him.

Jeff Prieto - he graduated from the school and I might see a fit. Seems unlikely but worth a call.

Mitch Mulligan - his teams play hard and he's a great coach

Governor

tru guru

Quote from: Governor on June 07, 2023, 05:37:50 PM

Here's my list...

Josh Labby - obvious

Jeff Prieto - he graduated from the school and I might see a fit. Seems unlikely but worth a call.

Heard Pri is done at CN and Simon taking over there.....

Papi will apply

How come no one said Jay Preuss yet?

tru guru

tru guru

Marsoobian also leaving I hear

tru guru

BallGuy

Job well done, Fontes. Don't know much other than he is stepping down. Why don't we start a new thread on head coaching possibilities.

BallGuy

Timmy Winn

Quote from: tru guru on June 07, 2023, 06:15:02 PM
Heard Pri is done at CN and Simon taking over there.....

Papi will apply

How come no one said Jay Preuss yet?

I have a hard time believing that Prieto would leave CN with his son having two more years.

Timmy Winn

tru guru

Quote from: Timmy Winn on June 07, 2023, 09:33:56 PM
I have a hard time believing that Prieto would leave CN with his son having two more years.

His kid can always play at his "home" school(Clovis High).  But, it's just a rumor floating around.  For all I know Jacot is leaving and Simons is taking over the football program and the rumor got all twisted, lol. 

tru guru

SparkPlug

Here's my list...

Josh Labby - obvious

Josh L is my favorite for this position.  Big leaguer and now a national cross checker like OMS.

I hear Simon is the new head man at Edison.

Papi would do well.  He'd be forced to play TRAC teams though.

Kuhn is a solid choice.  Done a great job in his short time at Liberty.

Pat WHERE is likely not involved after getting snubbed by Clovis just last year.

The last 2 guys you mentioned have combined to go 14-46 the last 2 years in the TRAC, I don't see either happening.

If not Josh L, I wouldn't be surprised if Buchanan High goes outside of the area to secure its new coach.

A dark horse would be Dominic Tapazian.  He's been active on twitter and done a great job with the pitching staff.

Am i missing anyone?

SparkPlug

ScoutTeamFish3

Here's my list...

Josh Labby - obvious

Pappi is the leader in the clubhouse. This has his name written all over it. He's done a great job at Fresno high with minimal talent. They're always in the running to be in the Easter classic final. Plus, he would look great in all 9 jerseys Buchanan High has.

ScoutTeamFish3

SparkPlug

Quote from: ScoutTeamFish3 on June 08, 2023, 08:57:33 AM
Pappi is the leader in the clubhouse. This has his name written all over it. He's done a great job at Fresno high with minimal talent. They're always in the running to be in the Easter classic final. Plus, he would look great in all 9 jerseys Buchanan High has.

Is it true that Coach Marsupial has also resigned?  I think he'd be Pappi's right-hand man if he sticks around. Both Fresno State legends and love kids.

SparkPlug

BallGuy

Quote from: SparkPlug on June 08, 2023, 08:51:13 AM
Josh L is my favorite for this position.  Big leaguer and now a national cross checker like OMS.

I hear Simon is the new head man at Edison.

Papi would do well.  He'd be forced to play TRAC teams though.

Kuhn is a solid choice.  Done a great job in his short time at Liberty.

Pat WHERE is likely not involved after getting snubbed by Clovis just last year.

The last 2 guys you mentioned have combined to go 14-46 the last 2 years in the TRAC, I don't see either happening.

If not Josh L, I wouldn't be surprised if Buchanan High goes outside of the area to secure its new coach.

A dark horse would be Dominic Tapazian.  He's been active on twitter and done a great job with the pitching staff.

Am i missing anyone?

It's an extremely attractive job. I can see d1 college coaches applying for this job. Not head coaches, but definitely Associate head coaches and recruiting coordinators going applying. Ultimately, it's Gambrel's decision. I'm not invited to the boy's club meetings they hold, so Idk who is the front runner. But as someone who knows nothing, don't be surprised if you start hearing d1 coaches applying.

BallGuy

Governor

Pagmeter saying it is likely Papi. Great hire.

Governor

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Governor on June 08, 2023, 02:12:01 PM
That's not what he said. He asked if he's the leader. Also their athletic director is leaving now too.

CWClassof2007

ScoutTeamFish3

Quote from: Governor on June 08, 2023, 02:12:01 PM

It's his if he wants it. And I do think Soop could come back for his former teammate.

I think if Papi passes on this opportunity they hire within. Bears like to keep things in house that understand the culture. Maybe they can recruit Karraker.

ScoutTeamFish3

tru guru

Interesting that Gambrell is leaving as well.  He came to Clovis from Central Unified.  I'm pretty sure Central is looking for a District Athletic Director now that they have two schools.  Curioser and curioser.......Camelot is crumbling over there at Willow and Nees.

tru guru

GoDogs

Quote from: tru guru on June 08, 2023, 02:37:52 PM
Interesting that Gambrell is leaving as well.  He came to Clovis from Central Unified.  I'm pretty sure Central is looking for a District Athletic Director now that they have two schools.  Curioser and curioser.......Camelot is crumbling over there at Willow and Nees.

Gambrel is taking a new position as the head of athletics for all of Madera Unified School District.   

And changes don't mean things are crumbling. Buchanan will always be Buchanan.  Sorry Governor I know that reality will give you nightmares!  😉

GoDogs

tru guru

Quote from: GoDogs on June 08, 2023, 05:17:29 PM
Gambrel is taking a new position as the head of athletics for all of Madera Unified School District.   

And changes don't mean things are crumbling. Buchanan will always be Buchanan.  Sorry Governor I know that reality will give you nightmares!  😉

Gambrell will be "Director of Co-Curricular" which is a bit more involved than District AD. 

To say that "Buchanan will always be Buchanan" is pretty presumptuous in this transfer era.  Especially with JD at Clovis High.  The portal is open, dude.  Especially for lower level kids who won't have to sit out at the varsity level.  Losing Gambrell is gonna hurt.  He smoothed over a lot of shady crap that helped "Buchanan be Buchanan" over the years. 

tru guru

Timmy Winn

Quote from: tru guru on June 08, 2023, 07:52:30 AM
His kid can always play at his "home" school(Clovis High).  But, it's just a rumor floating around.  For all I know Jacot is leaving and Simons is taking over the football program and the rumor got all twisted, lol.

His "home" school is Buchanan not CHS. I don't think prieto is leaving CN.

Timmy Winn

SparkPlug

Has Buchanan hired a new AD yet?  My 2 cents is that they will miss Gambrell and take a bit of a hit in some areas.

SparkPlug

Old man scout

My insiders tell me that they went outside the area down south the new AD had a daughter that plays sports and is already playing. We will see how good they are and that he will hire the new coach so it's wide open.

Old man scout

BallGuy

Quote from: Old man scout on June 26, 2023, 04:52:40 PM
My insiders tell me that they went outside the area down south the new AD had a daughter that plays sports and is already playing. We will see how good they are and that he will hire the new coach so it's wide open.

Interesting...I think it would be a great job for someone outside the area

BallGuy

Governor

Quote from: BallGuy on June 26, 2023, 10:53:15 PM
Interesting...I think it would be a great job for someone outside the area

Out of town AD will likely bring in his own from out of town. Southern section plays some good baseball.

Governor

CWClassof2007

They hired the athletic director from Ventura High School.

CWClassof2007

Old man scout

My insiders where right Long time Track and Field coach from Ventura. Has been AD for a while.

Old man scout

ScoutTeamFish3

Surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. I heard papii and Kuhn are out. Both have too good of gigs to leave. Any inside information out there?

ScoutTeamFish3

Governor

Quote from: ScoutTeamFish3 on July 10, 2023, 06:34:46 PM
Surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. I heard papii and Kuhn are out. Both have too good of gigs to leave. Any inside information out there?

I'm sure Edison High is glad they snagged Simon so fast.

Governor

ScoutTeamFish3

Quote from: Governor on July 12, 2023, 09:28:01 AM
I'm sure Edison High is glad they snagged Simon so fast.

Yes, good for Edison. They had their guy and went and got him right away. Hard to imagine Buchanan doesn't have anyone who's ready to take the program over.

ScoutTeamFish3

SparkPlug

Quote from: ScoutTeamFish3 on July 13, 2023, 11:30:20 AM
Yes, good for Edison. They had their guy and went and got him right away. Hard to imagine Buchanan doesn't have anyone who's ready to take the program over.

I've heard that Chris Mcgrady is in the mix.  Long time lower level coach at Buchanan who has respect of all.  His boy was an all american at Buchanan.  i could see these guys taking over.  I also heard the pitching coach Tokoian is in the mix as well.  We'll see shortly who the Bears select.

SparkPlug

Timmy Winn

I have no idea who they are going to hire. I do think this is a very attractive job that has probably drawn widespread interest. I also wonder about the AD. Was that a two for one deal? Did they hire that AD knowing that he had connections to a big fish that he could land for Buchanan? You could argue that Baseball at Buchanan is one of the premier programs in the state and really the country for that matter. With that said will they want to bring in someone internal that maintain continuity or will they try to bring in someone that takes the program to the next level? My bet is they're looking to go to the next level and compete for state titles. We will see.

Timmy Winn

CWClassof2007

Quote from: SparkPlug on July 14, 2023, 11:31:56 AM
I've heard that Chris Mcgrady is in the mix.  Long time lower level coach at Buchanan who has respect of all.  His boy was an all american at Buchanan.  i could see these guys taking over.  I also heard the pitching coach Tokoian is in the mix as well.  We'll see shortly who the Bears select.
Feels like a reach. He's been teaching in Clovis for over 30 years. Has coached lower level football & baseball for a while. I'd be shocked if taking over the program when he's around 60 makes sense. I imagine they go with a younger guy who will be there 10+ years.

CWClassof2007

ScoutTeamFish3

I reached out to some insiders. Here's the top 3 mentioned.

1. Jason Donald
2. Dom topposian
3. Kody kendall

Not sure if Jason will eventually want it. Dom has done a great job with the pitching staff the last 3 years, just not sure he's credentialed. Kody seems to be "next" at clovis north so he may want to stay there and take over that program.

I think they go outside the valley and snag a big time hire.

ScoutTeamFish3

Timmy Winn

Jason Donald?  That would be amazing. I'd show up for the first game vs Bullard for sure.

Timmy Winn

Governor

Quote from: Timmy Winn on July 14, 2023, 08:12:24 PM
Jason Donald?  That would be amazing. I'd show up for the first game vs Bullard for sure.

That would be a good hire. Ex player and he was a major leaguer

Governor

BallGuy

Quote from: Timmy Winn on July 14, 2023, 04:02:58 PM
I have no idea who they are going to hire. I do think this is a very attractive job that has probably drawn widespread interest. I also wonder about the AD. Was that a two for one deal? Did they hire that AD knowing that he had connections to a big fish that he could land for Buchanan? You could argue that Baseball at Buchanan is one of the premier programs in the state and really the country for that matter. With that said will they want to bring in someone internal that maintain continuity or will they try to bring in someone that takes the program to the next level? My bet is they're looking to go to the next level and compete for state titles. We will see.

I know a D1 paid assistant that has his hat in the ring. It'll be interesting to see if they go the easy/least resistant route or someone isn't from the valley.

BallGuy

tru guru

Quote from: BallGuy on July 14, 2023, 11:54:27 PM
I know a D1 paid assistant that has his hat in the ring. It'll be interesting to see if they go the easy/least resistant route or someone isn't from the valley.

Buchanan is getting close.  Looks like an off campus hire.  If everything works out it could be announced this week.

tru guru

tru guru

Three interviews yesterday.  Two local, one from outside the section.

tru guru

CleverUserName

Quote from: tru guru on June 08, 2023, 10:37:44 PM
Gambrell will be "Director of Co-Curricular" which is a bit more involved than District AD. 

To say that "Buchanan will always be Buchanan" is pretty presumptuous in this transfer era.  Especially with JD at Clovis High.  The portal is open, dude.  Especially for lower level kids who won't have to sit out at the varsity level.  Losing Gambrell is gonna hurt.  He smoothed over a lot of shady crap that helped "Buchanan be Buchanan" over the years.

Losing Gambrell is addition by subtraction!  He's a clown

CleverUserName

tru guru

Quote from: CleverUserName on August 24, 2023, 10:13:49 AM
Losing Gambrell is addition by subtraction!  He's a clown

Sure,  But much like Bozo, he was a successful one.  Helluva run on his watch. 

tru guru

CleverUserName

Quote from: tru guru on August 25, 2023, 02:43:37 PM
Sure,  But much like Bozo, he was a successful one.  Helluva run on his watch.

That may be, but the scandals erase all respect for him as a human.

CleverUserName

Timmy Winn

I heard CHS welcomed a few transfers from Buchanan yesterday. It's going to be interesting to see what happens at BHS. The early word that I've heard is mixed...and truly more negative than positive. This is going to be a fun season.

Timmy Winn

Governor

Quote from: Timmy Winn on January 10, 2024, 12:49:16 PMI heard CHS welcomed a few transfers from Buchanan yesterday. It's going to be interesting to see what happens at BHS. The early word that I've heard is mixed...and truly more negative than positive. This is going to be a fun season.

Which CHS?

Governor

BallGuy

BallGuy

Sixtynine

Quote from: Timmy Winn on January 10, 2024, 12:49:16 PMI heard CHS welcomed a few transfers from Buchanan yesterday. It's going to be interesting to see what happens at BHS. The early word that I've heard is mixed...and truly more negative than positive. This is going to be a fun season.

Buchanan has had 5 varsity players (starting caliber) leave the program and numerous lower level players leave as well. More varsity players may leave from what I've been told.

Can't wait to share my thoughts on that place when the time is right
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Sixtynine

Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Sixtynine on January 11, 2024, 08:24:03 AMBuchanan has had 5 varsity players (starting caliber) leave the program and numerous lower level players leave as well. More varsity players may leave from what I've been told.

Wow I didn't know it was 5 potential starters. That's a huge number.

Timmy Winn

BallGuy

Quote from: Sixtynine on January 11, 2024, 08:24:03 AMBuchanan has had 5 varsity players (starting caliber) leave the program and numerous lower level players leave as well. More varsity players may leave from what I've been told.

Would love to hear it!

BallGuy

CleverUserName

Please do!

CleverUserName

tru guru

Quote from: tru guru on June 08, 2023, 10:37:44 PMGambrell will be "Director of Co-Curricular" which is a bit more involved than District AD. 

To say that "Buchanan will always be Buchanan" is pretty presumptuous in this transfer era.  Especially with JD at Clovis High.  The portal is open, dude. Especially for lower level kids who won't have to sit out at the varsity level.  Losing Gambrell is gonna hurt.  He smoothed over a lot of shady crap that helped "Buchanan be Buchanan" over the years. 

I don't often quote myself, except when arguing with my wife, but you were warned.....

tru guru

BallGuy

Quote from: tru guru on January 19, 2024, 11:35:45 AMI don't often quote myself, except when arguing with my wife, but you were warned.....

Lol, we have always said JD is the best recruiter in the section...Makes sense he'd be making a splash with a coaching change at Buchanan.

BallGuy

CWClassof2007

Can't say I hate seeing Buchanan getting a taste of their own medicine.

CWClassof2007

HS Harry

How long do we have to wait until we get to hear the juice?
Chazz Michael Michaels IS figure skating

HS Harry

Chazz Michael Michaels IS figure skating

BallGuy

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on January 26, 2024, 12:41:47 PMCan't say I hate seeing Buchanan getting a taste of their own medicine.

I mean, seems like that medicine has been going around for awhile, and they're not the only ones taking it.

BallGuy