News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Buchanan

Started by Backstop, February 19, 2024, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstop

Gotta admit, I've been outta the loop for a while, but in reading some of these threads there's a lot of negativity focused on Buchanan. Much of that regards the new HC.

Am I reading this wrong?

I thought with Glaus joining a Valley program it would elevate baseball in general here in the CS and specifically in TRAC.

Also, the start of any season is typically weak due to overlapping sports. The 1st 5 games of baseball should be discounted when it comes to a teams overall ability.

Just my $.02

Backstop

CWClassof2007

From what I've heard there's not a lot of alumni involvement there right now. Not saying it's good or bad but it's different than anything they e experienced the last 20+ years. Also the first 0-2 start for them since 1998.

CWClassof2007

Timmy Winn

I've always been negative towards Buchanan. It's part of my bit. I don't feel one way or another about Glaus, but as a local guy I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about a former MLB guy from Orange County coming in to save valley baseball. We were doing pretty well before he ever got here. He might win a national championship (at a school that has already won two) but he will be joining Bullard (1 or 2 depending on who you ask)and Clovis High (two in a row) as local teams who have already done it. The bar is pretty high; I don't envy him. I joke about rooting against them but good baseball at Buchanan is good for the TRAC and the valley.

Timmy Winn

FresnoLegend

Vry insane, i have herd that Glaus has taken down Justin Wilson and Jason Donald statues outside stadium. i also heard baseballs havnt been put up either. cant believe Glaus is trying to throw national championshp culture from the school and removing statues. i also beleive he will be naming it "Troy Glass Field" and has a banner in the works to be put up. wuld be cool to see but still think it should keep the nme of "buchanan field"
"I would give myself an A+"

FresnoLegend

"I would give myself an A+"

knightsrule04

Quote from: Timmy Winn on February 19, 2024, 11:37:43 PMBullard (1 or 2 depending on who you ask)
*2 or 3 depending on who you ask

I found it weird that, after Gabe Camarillo tweeted about Buchanan's first 0-2 start since whenever, the OFFICIAL Central Section account responded that it's not how you start, it's how you finish. On the defensive, much?
BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

knightsrule04

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Closer

If I remember right, Buchanan started the season 2-4 last year and then got to the CS Championship. Let's see if they can get hot again although it will be tough with only four seniors on the roster. The team in the TRAC with the target on their back should be Clovis High with their pitching staff and returning starters in the field. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Closer

CWClassof2007

Frontier 10 Buchanan 1 0-3 start for the Bears

CWClassof2007

Sixtynine

Quote from: Timmy Winn on February 19, 2024, 11:37:43 PMI've always been negative towards Buchanan. It's part of my bit. I don't feel one way or another about Glaus, but as a local guy I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about a former MLB guy from Orange County coming in to save valley baseball. We were doing pretty well before he ever got here. He might win a national championship (at a school that has already won two) but he will be joining Bullard (1 or 2 depending on who you ask)and Clovis High (two in a row) as local teams who have already done it. The bar is pretty high; I don't envy him. I joke about rooting against them but good baseball at Buchanan is good for the TRAC and the valley.

We're all peasants because we live in the Central Valley
Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Sixtynine

Just my opinion, but my opinion is right

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Sixtynine on February 24, 2024, 08:47:30 AMWe're all peasants because we live in the Central Valley

That's the chip I'm talking about...a lot of us locals guys feel it.

Timmy Winn

CWClassof2007

Another loss for the Bears today 5-1 against Bakersfield Christian

CWClassof2007

Governor

It is only 4 games into the season. Buchanan High was 2-4 at their start last year. If Buchanan High wins their next two then they are 2-4.

Let the season play out. Gloss and co will get them on the right track.

Governor

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Governor on February 24, 2024, 11:52:27 PMIt is only 4 games into the season. Buchanan High was 2-4 at their start last year. If Buchanan High wins their next two then they are 2-4.

Let the season play out. Gloss and co will get them on the right track.
Those 4 losses last year were against Valley Christian, Bellarmine Prep, St Igantius & West Ranch. Four of the better program in the state. Their next two games are against Tehachapi & Madera.

CWClassof2007

tru guru

True, it is only 4 games into the season, but at what point do we start thinking that the Empire is falling?   

One of the causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that the Romans could not recruit enough soldiers from within their own ranks and had to rely on outside mercenaries for their defense.  Perhaps Buchanan is going through similar, having relied on transfers to bolster their ranks for years?  Maybe their home grown talent is just not as good as it once was?  Just a thought.

tru guru

Closer

All of the TRAC schools have transfers on their teams. One of Clovis High's best all time player went to Redwood before transferring there. The parents at Clovis High start recruiting early when the boys were playing in Clovis Babe Ruth league with their teammates from the Clovis East area feeder schools. Clovis West has transfers as well and so does Clovis East from the Sanger area. There's nothing wrong with going to the school of choice. It worked out pretty good for Jake Gatewood.

Closer

tru guru

Lol.  Buchanan has always been a the baseball "destination school". Other schools may get a transfer here and there, but Buchanan built their empire through the transfer portal. You want to bring up Gatewood from over a decade ago like it's some sort of dirty little secret or somehow scandalous. but he was initially going to be a Bear as well.  However, in 2012 he was still a very skilled QB and Buchanan's football program was not considered of the same quality as CHS so they moved into the Clovis High Area.  Oh, and don't forget Cody Murray of Selma off that same 2014 State Champ team.  Equally as important as Gatewood. IMO.  9-0 on the bump, as I recall.....I think he got the win in the VC game over Buchanan, who had Bengston of Nor Cal and Dodds of TW starting at first and third base, just off the top of my head.....It only got more flagrant for the Bears in the decade that followed.

I will continue to theorize that Buchanan is struggling now that they aren't the "destination school" for Valley transfers.

tru guru

Timmy Winn

I'm more offended that you consider Gatewood an all time CHS player. He was the third or fourth best hitter on his team. I love Gatewood and root/rooted for him big time but he was a projection not production pick. All time BP? Yes. All time in game? Not quite...

Timmy Winn

Closer

The point is that families should be able to send there kids to their school of choice. If other people get offended by that , oh well. As long as it is done properly.

Closer

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Closer on February 26, 2024, 07:06:21 PMThe point is that families should be able to send there kids to their school of choice. If other people get offended by that , oh well. As long as it is done properly.

I'm fine with transfers. My kids are transfers.

Timmy Winn

Governor

Never been a fan of transfers. Usually teams will take players away from East High. Very unfair!

Governor

Closer

You are right about East Governor. That's been happening for several years. If people are willing to sacrifice and make a full family move then that's their right. East has former kids from their area all around the area.

Closer

tru guru

Quote from: tru guru link=msg=452385

I will continue to theorize that Buchanan is struggling now that they aren't the "destination school" for Valley transfers.
/quote]

I'm cool with transfers.  However, if you live by the sword, perhaps you will also die by the sword......

tru guru

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Governor on February 26, 2024, 07:55:25 PMNever been a fan of transfers. Usually teams will take players away from East High. Very unfair!

Clovis East, ironically, had a lot of success on the gridiron this year with SEVERAL transfers.

Timmy Winn

BallGuy

As someone not affiliated with a team, high school sports is becoming a bit like college. Don't really know who is on the team until the first pitch. For years Buchanan was the destination, seems like it's shifting towards Clovis. Who knows, parents are doing what they feel is right by their kid. My .02, I just want parents to be educated enough to not fall for the snake oil salesmen that rummage high school dugouts. Travel ball has changed a lot of high school sports in general, not many coaches truly recruit, it's mostly the kids following their friends, or the kids going to a school with a reputation. Which is why I took things personally when I see an actual coach reach out to kids.

BallGuy

tru guru

Quote from: Timmy Winn on February 27, 2024, 08:41:29 AMClovis East, ironically, had a lot of success on the gridiron this year with SEVERAL transfers.

They have a fine recruiting class coming in next year as well.....

tru guru

CWClassof2007

I'm fine with transfers. It's when coaches or family of coaches are recruiting players from other schools. We know it happened with Buchanan baseball. It happened with Central football a lot during their long run. Clovis West girl's basketball does it too.

CWClassof2007

BallGuy

Yup...your second baseman last year also had texts from CW staff members while enrolled his freshman year at Central. No one is "clean", and also, a lot of staff members are coaches on travel teams, and it's not like they start every text with, "I'm texting you as your travel ball team coach, but I think the school that I coach at will really like you".

BallGuy

Governor

I told you all to just be patient with Buchanan High. They are just getting started.

Blowout win today on the road

Governor

CWClassof2007

Quote from: BallGuy on February 27, 2024, 08:53:35 PMYup...your second baseman last year also had texts from CW staff members while enrolled his freshman year at Central. No one is "clean", and also, a lot of staff members are coaches on travel teams, and it's not like they start every text with, "I'm texting you as your travel ball team coach, but I think the school that I coach at will really like you".
Yep. I hate that too.

CWClassof2007

tru guru

Quote from: Governor on February 27, 2024, 11:07:48 PMI told you all to just be patient with Buchanan High. They are just getting started.

Blowout win today on the road

Man, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Out of curiosity,does anyone think Buchanan would celebrate a D2 title?  I mean, a VC in a new coaches first year is quite an accomplishment, right?  Do they hang a D-2 banner up there with the two Natty's and all the D-1 titles?  I'm gonna go with "No".

tru guru

Governor

Quote from: tru guru on February 28, 2024, 03:30:13 PMMan, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Out of curiosity,does anyone think Buchanan would celebrate a D2 title?  I mean, a VC in a new coaches first year is quite an accomplishment, right?  Do they hang a D-2 banner up there with the two Natty's and all the D-1 titles?  I'm gonna go with "No".

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Give credit to Buchanan High.

Governor

HS Harry

Quote from: tru guru on February 28, 2024, 03:30:13 PMMan, you sure called it!  After a blowout of a lower division team that was missing several starters still in basketball, the Bear Empire looks primed for a deep run in the D2 playoffs............

Clovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.  Could be deceiving, being a D1 school, some may assume it was a D1 title.
Chazz Michael Michaels IS figure skating

HS Harry

tru guru

Quote from: Governor on February 28, 2024, 09:41:47 PMSounds like sour grapes to me.

Give credit to Buchanan High.

Not sour at all.  Just don't think you can tell much from this win.  Win the next two, assuming Madera throws the FSU commit, and I might start to believe.....

tru guru

Cristobal

Quote from: HS Harry on February 29, 2024, 08:43:40 AMClovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.

Beautiful

Cristobal

knightsrule04

Quote from: HS Harry on February 29, 2024, 08:43:40 AMClovis East hung a huge Section Champion sign atop their scoreboard after their D-2 title run, but nowhere on the sign does it depict it was in Division 2.  Could be deceiving, being a D1 school, some may assume it was a D1 title.
Clovis doing Clovis things again...

knightsrule04

tru guru

Tough loss for Buchanan today.  Bears showed some guts coming back in the 7th.  Ultimately though they are 2-5, 0 for Bakersfield and 0-4 vs D-1 teams.  Sure, they've only played 7 games, but that is 20 percent of the season.  If they're not pushing the panic button yet, they are definitely holding their hand over it.

tru guru

Closer

According to Max Preps Buchanan has the most difficult strength of schedule in the CIF central section at 11.2 and Clovis at 6.2, CE at 5.7, CW at a whopping-4.5( yes negative) and CN at 2.2 . They are starting some pretty young players so this schedule should help them be better prepared for TRAC play after the Easter Classic.

Closer

Timmy Winn

Quote from: Closer on March 06, 2024, 01:32:35 PMAccording to Max Preps Buchanan has the most difficult strength of schedule in the CIF central section at 11.2 and Clovis at 6.2, CE at 5.7, CW at a whopping-4.5( yes negative) and CN at 2.2 . They are starting some pretty young players so this schedule should help them be better prepared for TRAC play after the Easter Classic.

No doubt they've got a tough schedule. TRAC play is going to be so good this year. Clovis High still looks best on paper to me, but after that it is a crapshoot. I could see CN/CE/CW competing for 2nd. I don't know what to think of central and I believe that Buchanan is headed towards the bottom of the TRAC. Buchanan has had a rough year for boys sports (unless you're a wrestler...shout out Rocklin Zinkin state champ) football was embarrassing, basketball finished 4th in league and baseball looks like it's having a hard time getting going on the heels of a new BIG hire. Meanwhile CN's boys basketball and football made it to State playoffs and baseball has come around. Is the powerbalance in north Fresno/clovis boys sports shifting from Buchanan to CN?

Timmy Winn

HS Harry

When it is all said and done, I imagine that Buchanan will still have a pretty good year.  More losses than normal, but find a way to compete in the end.  I just hope that their New Big Hire has a little more respect for Central Section Baseball and what the high school coaches around here do.  And unless he wants more players looking for greener pastures, I would suggest they start winning soon and he not turn a cold shoulder to the players (alumni) that helped give that program state & national recognition.

HS Harry

Timmy Winn

Quote from: HS Harry on March 06, 2024, 02:33:44 PMWhen it is all said and done, I imagine that Buchanan will still have a pretty good year.  More losses than normal, but find a way to compete in the end.  I just hope that their New Big Hire has a little more respect for Central Section Baseball and what the high school coaches around here do.  And unless he wants more players looking for greener pastures, I would suggest they start winning soon and he not turn a cold shoulder to the players (alumni) that helped give that program state & national recognition.

We will see what happens when we get into TRAC play. But at 2-5 now, with 7/8 games before league play starts and two of those games being tough road games it'll be tough to get to .500. Right now they don't look like a .500 team in TRAC play. They might not get to 15 wins this year. Does anyone know the lowest win total in school history? I'd imagine that would set it.

Timmy Winn

HS Harry

Quote from: Timmy Winn on March 06, 2024, 04:06:28 PMWe will see what happens when we get into TRAC play. But at 2-5 now, with 7/8 games before league play starts and two of those games being tough road games it'll be tough to get to .500. Right now they don't look like a .500 team in TRAC play. They might not get to 15 wins this year. Does anyone know the lowest win total in school history? I'd imagine that would set it.
Maxpreps' records go all the way back to 2005, in that time the Bears have never had a losing record and many impressive seasons along the way. Not sure what happened between 1993 and 2005, but these were the 3 "worst" records since '05:
2012: 19-14
2008: 17-13-1
2007: 17-12

HS Harry