News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Clovis Unified is widening the gap..between them and Kern County schools

Started by anthilllegend, May 21, 2011, 11:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthilllegend

This year Clovis Unified has (and is still in progress) basicallly wiped the valley out in regard to D1 and D2 valley titles.  Some have thought that the gap between the Emerald City and the not so fortunate has been narrowing...........but after looking at the net result, it was another landslide for the power district.  While the haul of titles for CUSD was gluttenly like..........their ever present brides-maid Kern County schools barely made a dent in the trophy haul. Kern County won 3 girls championships and managed only 2 boys titles (Centennial in boys golf and Tehachapi in D2 football). Below is a relatively complete list of the Clovis Unified team champions and runner-ups for the 2010-11 school year..........and the same for Kern High School District.

Clovis Unified School District

Football D1 Champions Clovis West
Tennis D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Tennis D1 Boys Champions Clovis West
Volleyball D1 Girls 2nd Clovis West
Volleyball Boys D1 2nd Clovis West
Water Polo D1 Boys Champions Clovis West
Baketball D1 Boys 2nd Clovis West
Swimming & Diving D1 Boys Champions Clovis West
Swimming and Diving D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Track and Field D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Golf D1 Girls 2nd Clovis West
Golf D1 Boys 2nd Clovis West
Water Polo D1 Boys 2nd Clovis High
Wrestling Valley and State Champions Clovis High
Swimming and Diving Boys D1 2nd Clovis High
Swimming and Diving Girls D1 2nd Clovis High
Basketball Girls D1 2nd Clovis East
Soccer D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Soccer D1 Girls 2nd Buchanan
VolleyBall D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Cross Country D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Cross Country Grils D1 Champions Buchanan
Track and Field D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Baseball D1 Baseball Champions Buchanan State Champions and National Champions
Tennis Girls D2 Champions Clovis North
Water Polo Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Tennis Boys D2 Champions Clovis Noth
Golf Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Basketball Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Cross Country D2 Girls Champions Clovis North
Swimming and Diving Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Swimming and Diving Girls D2 Champions Clovis North
Badmitten Girls Section Champion (says Central Section Champions, is this a club sport?)
Badmitten Girls 2nd Buchanan (see above)

Kern County Schools

Golf Boys D1 Champions Centennial
Golf Girls D1 Frontier
Volleyball Girls D1 Champions Centenniall
Football D1 2nd Bakersfield
Wrestling D1 2nd Bakersfield
Soccer D2 Girls Champions Golden Valley
Softball D1 2nd  Stockdale
Baseball D1 Centennial 2nd
Baseball D2 Frontier Champions

The Anthill may have missed a champion/runner-up or two, but the message is still loud and clear................the gap is cavernous between the Emerald City and the rest of the pack.

Why do all threads turn to Clovis West.................because the Golden Eagles chase for the most all-around VC's in section history against Bakersfield High (CW is 70 years younger).........got a major boost this year.  Golden Eagles could have as many as 7  more VC's, while the Drillers may get shut out.

The Anthilllegend

knightsrule04

BULLARD KNIGHTS FOOTBALL: 2009 VALLEY CHAMPIONS!

Bullard Knights baseball: 5 Major Leaguers, 7 Valley titles, 4 CA titles, 1 CA runner-up, 2 National titles, 2 National runners-up, 1 5th place finish in the nation.

Bullard Knights softball: 5 Valley titles, 2 CA titles, 2 National titles.

OriginalCVFan

Knight, give him a break, when you bite, you feed the beast!!!! The list of accomplishments stands on its own, the attempt at imagery to fuel the flame is fun to read, but the more you bite, the more you feed the Beast.

That being said, does anyone else on here get a kick out of the fact that anthill uses a reference to Emerald City when referring to Clovis?  The Emerald City, the Capitol of the LAND OF OZ, has always been used in reference to a Fantasy Land, a destination at the END of the YELLOW BRICK ROAD.  However, as we all know from the story and movie itself, when one gets to the end of the Yellow Brick Road, one uncovers the smoke and mirrors that are the basis for the outside perception. :huh:

I may be paraphrasing,  but in the original book "the wonderful wizard of oz" everyone that visited the city had to wear special glasses,(Green in the book, rose colored in clovis if I recall, as so many people have mentioned in the past on here haha)  where when one takes the glasses off, one realizes the city itself isnt anything special, its just an illusion, perpetuated by myth and "legend".  (sorry the set up was just too easy)

In todays society, the Land of Oz, has come to be a phrase closely associated with fantasy, where when one reaches the Emerald City, one reaches the reality of broken dreams and reality unveiled.  I find the use of the term Emerald City incredibly ironic and humorous myself.

Impressive list of accomplishments, yes it is.  Funny how Clovis West is also in Fresn 8)o, not Clovis, the land of oz!

]

izne1home

Quote from: OriginalCVFan on May 22, 2011, 08:17:12 AM
Funny how Clovis West is also in Fresn 8)o, not Clovis, the land of oz!

I heard that a group of influential CW parents are consulting with the Bullard Pride attorneys about deannexing from the City of Fresno.

GoldenHawksFootball

This post is nothing more than a dog barking up the wrong tree with no bite. To the parents and coaches of Kern County high schools please disregard this rubbish.
Anthil, do these facts make you feel better about yourself? There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. You see yourself as a confident guy who loves all things Fresno.
You just get off on insulting Kern County high schools, taunting them because they are not up to your standards. Honestly I don't think the majority of Fresno residents are sitting
at home asking, "I wonder how we can continue the dominance of Bakersfield's high schools." Or, "I think we need to validate this beyond the playing fields."

Don't compare Clovis Unified to Kern High. It's night and day. You are talking about a district in Kern High that is light years behind Clovis. They don't have the funds. No that is not
an excuse. They wanted to cut JV sports all together a couple years ago to save $430,000. Your schools were built to succeed and dominate. Just like with anything when you throw
down more money for facilities, have better booster clubs, and larger schools then of course higher participation and winning will follow. Also last time I checked Kern High schools
don't have Badminton, Boys Volleyball, or Water Polo. And if they had it there way they wouldn't have a few other sports on that list that Clovis dominates. Sports are just not in the
top 5 priorities for some of the area schools. Obviously Bakersfield High school cares about winning and preserving that more than the other high schools. Case in point the loose
boundary lines that favor the Drillers. But the school board and most parents aren't concerned about tradition.

People like you teach high school students to win at all costs and just dominate Bakersfield schools. While the others are more concerned with helping them learn and develop in the class room.
We teach them to respect the opponent at all times. Without the opponent there is no game and no way for you and Fresno to dominate. Maybe Bakersfield should not play Fresno any more.
Is winning truly the only thing that matters to you and your CUSD? What happens to these kids once they leave Fresno and go out into the world? How important are these useless statistics?

Go ahead give me a bunch of minuses next to my name. I'm sure I will. These kinds of posts are degrading.

jeraf

Quote from: anthilllegend on May 21, 2011, 11:24:43 PM
This year Clovis Unified has (and is still in progress) basicallly wiped the valley out in regard to D1 and D2 valley titles.  Some have thought that the gap between the Emerald City and the not so fortunate has been narrowing...........but after looking at the net result, it was another landslide for the power district.  While the haul of titles for CUSD was gluttenly like..........their ever present brides-maid Kern County schools barely made a dent in the trophy haul. Kern County won 3 girls championships and managed only 2 boys titles (Centennial in boys golf and Tehachapi in D2 football). Below is a relatively complete list of the Clovis Unified team champions and runner-ups for the 2010-11 school year..........and the same for Kern High School District.

Clovis Unified School District

Football D1 Champions Clovis West
Tennis D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Tennis D1 Boys ( #1 Clovis West vs. #2 Liberty-Bak Tuesday)
Volleyball D1 Girls 2nd Clovis West
Volleyball Boys D1 2nd Clovis West
Water Polo D1 Boys Champions Clovis West
Baketball D1 Boys 2nd Clovis West
Swimming & Diving D1 Boys Champions Clovis West
Swimming and Diving D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Track and Field D1 Girls Champions Clovis West
Golf D1 Girls 2nd Clovis West
Golf D1 Boys 2nd Clovis West
Water Polo D1 Boys 2nd Clovis High
Wrestling Valley and State Champions Clovis High
Swimming and Diving Boys D1 2nd Clovis High
Swimming and Diving Girls D1 2nd Clovis High
Basketball Girls D1 2nd Clovis East
Soccer D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Soccer D1 Girls 2nd Buchanan
VolleyBall D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Cross Country D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Cross Country Grils D1 Champions Buchanan
Track and Field D1 Boys Champions Buchanan
Tennis Girls D2 Champions Clovis North
Water Polo Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Tennis Boys D2 Champions Clovis Noth
Golf Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Basketball Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Cross Country D2 Girls Champions Clovis North
Swimming and Diving Boys D2 Champions Clovis North
Swimming and Diving Girls D2 Champions Clovis North
Badmitten Girls Section Champion (says Central Section Champions, is this a club sport?)
Badmitten Girls 2nd Buchanan (see above)

Kern County Schools

Football D2 Champions Tehachapi (the Warriors are in their own district...... but close enough!!!)
Golf Boys D1 Champions Centennial
Golf Girls D1 Frontier
Volleyball Girls D1 Champions Centenniall
Football D1 2nd Bakersfield
Wrestling D1 2nd Bakersfield
Soccer D2 Girls Champions Golden Valley

D1 Baseball and Softball are still in progress........CUSD has the #1 state and #1 nationally ranked Buchanan Bears along with two-time National Champion Clovis High still in the hunt....Kern County has Centennial the #2 seed.  In softball CUSD will be shut out.........and Stockdale is the favorite to win it. Frontier is the favorite to win D2 baseball as well and Liberty could still win in tennis this week!!!!

The Anthill may have missed a champion/runner-up or two, but the message is still loud and clear................the gap is cavernous between the Emerald City and the rest of the pack.

Why do all threads turn to Clovis West.................because the Golden Eagles chase for the most all-around VC's in section history against Bakersfield High (CW is 70 years younger).........got a major boost this year.  Golden Eagles could have as many as 7  more VC's, while the Drillers may get shut out.

The Anthilllegend

Ant, while I respect your vast knowledge in Clovis West sports and maybe all of Clovis, for that matter.  You're post is not comparing apples to apples.  In reality if you were comparing cities to cities, well that may be a better comparison.  Let's say that Fresno were to combine all schools and have just six High Schools as does Clovis, and then let Bakersfield combine all their schools to equal the six that Clovis has, and then maybe there could be an apples to apples ratio comparison at that point.  Until then any post about the mythical Emerald City being the most prominent City in the Valley in all of Athletics, is like saying that the Moon is made of Cheese, If Pigs could Fly, Pot of Gold at the end of a Rainbow, The Boogie Man is in your closet, The most interesting Man in the World (although I think he is the most realistic...ha ha), Trix are for Kids, Coo Coo for CoCoa Puffs, etc..etc.

izne1home

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on May 22, 2011, 01:53:06 PM
What happens to these kids once they leave Fresno and go out into the world? How important are these useless statistics?

The only thing that trumps CUSD's athletic performance might be it's academic performance.  And if you believe the architect of CUSD, Doc Buchanan, the district was built on the back of its varsity coaches.  So there is a tie-in.

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteYou act like the only thing Clovis Unified cares about is sports. I know multiple people in my class alone who have gone on to Ivy League schools, Stanford, and other great universities. Then there are the people who go to smaller schools or schools like Fresno State, like myself, who graduate and succeed in life. Yes they care about sports but as much as you hate them academics do and always will come before sports.

That is great to hear... Awesome! Let's hear more about these stories. I do not hate them. I will root against them when it comes to my home town vs. them. What I hate is when a post such as this is made that suggests any school (Kern County in particular) other than Clovis should be inferior and held hostage to it's "so called" dominance. Sometimes the systems in place are not level playing fields. This is not the NFL where every franchise is held to the standard of winning the Super Bowl.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on May 22, 2011, 02:37:44 PM
That is great to hear... Awesome! Let's hear more about these stories. I do not hate them. I will root against them when it comes to my home town vs. them. What I hate is when a post such as this is made that suggests any school (Kern County in particular) other than Clovis should be inferior and held hostage to it's "so called" dominance. Sometimes the systems in place are not level playing fields. This is not the NFL where every franchise is held to the standard of winning the Super Bowl.

How did my post suggest that Kern County schools are inferior to Clovis? All I did was point out facts stating that CUSD doesn't put athletics ahead of academics like you implied. You are right about the systems in place aren't leveling the playing field. But that is a part of life and everyone has to deal with it at some point.

GoldenHawksFootball

Not your post, the great Anthil. I never implied Clovis doesn't put academics ahead. What I believe is that academics are higher (or highest) on the pecking order for Kern High.
And compared to Clovis Unified, it's not even close where athletics fall. Kern High wants to compete and win in sports but they don't stack up overal with CUSD for the various
reasons outlined in my first post. They want win and fire coaches at the drop of a hat but they won't do anything to support the coaches, staffs, and schools to get better.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on May 22, 2011, 03:10:29 PM
Not your post, the great Anthil. I never implied Clovis doesn't put academics ahead. What I believe is that academics are higher (or highest) on the pecking order for Kern High.
And compared to Clovis Unified, it's not even close where athletics fall. Kern High wants to compete and win in sports but they don't stack up overal with CUSD for the various
reasons outlined in my first post. They want win and fire coaches at the drop of a hat but they won't do anything to support the coaches, staffs, and schools to get better.
I agree from what I have read on here and heard from other people from Bakersfield about KHSD and not trying to make their schools better athletically. I guess it is financial but I think parents and boosters could get something done when it comes to facilities.

anthilllegend

izne1home.............is completely correct................Clovis Unified was built on a model that emphazied discipline and athletics. Doc Buchanan knew that if he could discipline the district (regement it) and hire role models to lead it (Fresno Unified coaches) that he could win athletically.  This fostered a positive perception (winning) of the district which led to a mass migration to the district by families that wanted to be a part of a "winner."  That led to new homes being built (expensive homes) that had the highest taxation rate and fees to developers in the north valley.  In turn.............those home buyers agreed....many times over to be taxed by additional school bonds (some over lapping) to build the best facilities/schools in the section. It only stood to reason that families who wanted to win.......work hard........pay for the best........would also rise to the top academically....and they have  One Clovis administrator once told the "legend" that the secret to building something.... is doing it right the first time.......it cost three times as much and twice as long...... to correct it later. He said......they buy the best money can buy.....so they don't have to buy it over in a few years. This is where other districts that have attempted to mirror the Doc Buchanan model have failed....they want to take short cuts.  The Anthilllegend does not believe that Doc's schematic can be duplicated in this valley......some have tried to develope a cheap redentition of his model (mainly elementary youth athletic programs)......but they missed out on the first phase of his plan.........and that was to discipline the general populus of the district. That's why he hired all the coaches in Fresno Unified back in the day.  Coaches are displinarians by nature, regmented people, that know how to develope  and execute a game plan.........and that's what Clovis Unified did......they executed a game plan.........and did it over and over. Doc Buchana did it first... at Clovis High School.....he made them the "School of Champions"....and then repeated the plan four more times.   Thus...... you have a machine....developed for the purpose of educating and developing successful people.............people are drwan to Clovis Unified by excellence, in sports, in academics, in co-curricular activites, in facilites, in leadership (administration and staff) and in neighbor hoods.  The Anthillegend was making a point of the futility of attempting to catch these people from an athletic perspective.  The record shows that we are not getting any closer to breaking down the walls of the Emerald City............they seem to be getting stronger (athletically). A young energetic coach...... not to long ago............told the Anthill that Clovis Unified was not the same as it use to be (athletically speaking)....that the walls were crumbling....that impending doom was on the horizon........he could not have been wronger!!!!!  The "legend" posted the statistical information to bring attention to the fact that they are not folding their cards................."if you do what you have always done, then you will be what you have always been." And nothing really seems to be changing!!!!!

The Anthill was sitting in his office (Saturday night) with his research and development staff, when it struck him......that Clovis UNified was on the verge of winnign about 7 or 8 valley titles in a bout  a 5 day period.  Then he recalled all the other titles during the year (23 total)............and posted that CUSD was on a damn tear athletically. He validated it with information (stats), and noted that the number one contender (KHSD) was a distant second. Maybe next year will be different..............but history says it won't be!!!!

Why do all threads turn to Clovis West..............................because Clovis West could have been part of Fresno Unified..........but some suit (FUSD)................... back in the day wanted to go the cheapest route.

The Anthilllegend

Coach9

I don't think anyone has a problem with what CUSD has accomplished or the way it was accomplished. The problem lies with the way Anthill addresses the issues. His third person crap and arrogance rub many wrong, including myself. Now that I know who you are I can't for the life of me figure why you feel so superior or want to project yourself as such. Not very flattering, in fact it rather arrogant.

izne1home

Quote from: CVFeetball on May 22, 2011, 03:55:20 PM
The KHSD will not allow parents and boosters to make facilities better if one of the other not as "fortunate" schools will not get the same. The KHSD wants all the schools to be on level playing field. In your case  it would be like all CUSD and FUSD schools would be one district and if Clovis West Boosters come up with $100K for their facilities but Hoover or one of the other City schools can only come up with $25K, then that is unfair and the District would step in and forbid Clovis West from upgrading unless they agree to kick in to help the other less "fortunate" schools. That is one of the reasons you really cant compare CUSD schools to Bakersfield Schools. One other issue is the KHSD facility folks are union;  so boosters, parents, and coaches for that metter, are not allowed to spend money to have others work on the facilities or even work on the facilities themselves, unless the union approves it.

When I was at CW, we did get some feedback and general parameters from the DO regarding fundraising, but we were generally left to our own devices.  One of the main differences you point out is facilities upgrades.  At CUSD, that would be off limits for a boosters club without jumping through a lot of district hoops.  We fund raised for things that directly affected the kids and coaches - uniforms, meals, travel expenses, equipment, etc. 

But ultimately, the last thing the DO would want to do is stifle parent support and involvement.  That is the death knell.  You are either building support, or you are losing support.  CUSD would rather raise the money and figure out how to spend it, than kill the fundraiser in its infancy based on 'fairness'.

anthilllegend

The Antrhill obviously has bent Coach9 again..........so what's new.  Coach9 if you really know who the Anthilllegend is....... ..then you know that the Legend could care less what you think of him. The Anthill has been controlling this site for the last 12 years (since it's inception).  The Anthillis role on the site.........is legendary.......hence the name Anthill-legend.
The Anthill has been sent to keep the preps.com interesting and at times controversial.  The Anthill rarely says things that are mundane.........we all know theere are enough of those posts on here.  The problem is some people are in denial..........or do not want to hear the truth.  The Anthill and his staff.......debated long and hard  before posting the commentary about the number of Clovis Unified Valley Championships in the 2010-11 school year.  But in the end the staff and the Legend felt it was news worthy (recognition of the students of CUSD sensational year).  The Anthill also felt that comparing CUSD accomplishments to it's nearest competitior (KHSD)...was the best way to show the widening differential between the two..........to bring clarity the feat!!!! The Anthilllegend stands by his recent post..............and all of his past posts!!!!! The Legend will continue to enlighten the visitors to this site in his recgonizable third person style (it's what makes the Legend..........well the legend).  The Anthill recommends that you.... Coach 9 take three deep breaths when you come across the Anthill literary works......and step slowly away from the computer...... and leave the room.  But.....you know you can't do it..............ignore the Anthill.......you want to read the Anthills posts!!!. Coach9 you are not the first person to obsessed with the Anthilllegend..............and you will not be the last!!!!

Why do all threads turn to Clovis West...................................because people like Coach9 continue to feed the beast!!!!!

The Anthilllegend

Coach9

I know a doctor you need to speak with. The meds aren't all that expensive, you have insurance, right?

AngrybirdDad

The Anthill is second to none when it comes to posting intelligent, informative, and entertaining posts.

hsfan

Quote from: Coach Hurd on May 22, 2011, 05:42:28 PM
I know a doctor you need to speak with. The meds aren't all that expensive, you have insurance, right?

Lets see hear coach --I had a long day for a Sunday --Got up at 5 AM, go to office down in the flat lands,worked for 4 hours....came back to the rest home,and worked off and on with a weed eater,a shovel,sistered on a pole to our old P.G. & E. lead in since it was rotten ,--when I would get tired and a little down...did I need meds ?? No , I did not.....thanks to you and the anthilllegend, I can come in ...fire up this site,read you twos posts and feel all is right !I have a good laugh and get back out side and semi work a little more with a smile.You two are great and cheap too ! Keep it up. :u: :u: :u:
For as long as we like our speech free, our guns handy, our women open-faced, and beer cold, there will be plenty of work for the Defenders of this Country.
God Bless America, the Constitution of the United States, and its 2nd Amendment!
God Bless our Troops, and bring them home safe and sound.One Flag, One Language, One Nation under God.
Airborne All The Way !

shmeky

Quote from: Coach Hurd on May 22, 2011, 04:10:05 PM
I don't think anyone has a problem with what CUSD has accomplished or the way it was accomplished. The problem lies with the way Anthill addresses the issues. His third person crap and arrogance rub many wrong, including myself. Now that I know who you are I can't for the life of me figure why you feel so superior or want to project yourself as such. Not very flattering, in fact it rather arrogant.

I for one enjoy reading the legends posts, they are entertaining,  informative and from what I can tell generally pretty accurate.  I also like the third person technique, makes for a more entertaining read.  As far as arrogance don't you think its just part of the persona?  Coach, many of your posts come off as arrogant to me as well.  In my eyes this is just a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

As for the legends analysis of the CUSD athletic dominance.... Nail hit on the head. 

diesel

Quote from: shmeky on May 22, 2011, 07:38:22 PM
As for the legends analysis of the CUSD athletic dominance.... Nail hit on the head. 

I don't think anyone denies this.....arrogance is not an attractive trait.  How about a little humility?  They say team sports do not built character, they reveal it.  What do ant's comments reveal?  I relate it to the bully on The Simpsons who is always pointing and going "HAHA!!"......it gets old.....pride goeth before a fall.

diesel