News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Cohen Hearing

Started by izne1home, February 27, 2019, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

izne1home

I've had my fair share of opportunities to size up witness credibility.  Setting aside Cohen's convictions, his demeanor today was not persuasive.  How much better would it have been if he came out and said something like "I have worked for Mr. Trump for a decade and came to respect him very much.  That's why I stayed, and why I helped him become the president.  It was the ride of a lifetime, and along the way, I got caught up in the process and lost my way.  I do not wish Mr. Trump any harm, but I am compelled to set the record straight and correct my prior testimony." 

Objectivity is critical, especially when your evidence is circumstantial.  Cohen could have done far more damage to Trump with a levelheaded objective account.  But he lost all benefit of the doubt when he opened up with claims that Trump had threatened his family, and that Trump is a racist, conman, and a cheat.  Whether Trump is or isn't has no bearing on the question of Cohen's credibility.  He opened his testimony with "I hate this man, and I will do anything I can to take him down and lessen my punishment."

Trump is a lot of things, but nobody ever accused him of being stupid.  He isn't meeting with the Pope in Vietnam.  He will use the frenzied media coverage of his lying, cheating, stealing, bribing, racism, vulgarity, payoffs, affairs, hookers, and a threat of war to hold power, to find common ground with Kim Jong-Un - like kindred spirits.  Dictator to dictator.  Those are all traits Kim respects, and Trump will have him eating out of his hand. 

If Trump pulls something big off in Vietnam, the media will have a nervous breakdown.  The establishment is more afraid of Trump than North Korea.  It serves their agenda if he comes back empty-handed. 

I was impressed with Elijah Cummings' closing statements. 

Bronco

I agree with you iz - Trump was elected because a large part of the people in America ( the ones who pay all the bills) have absolutely no respect  4 what is going on in d c - esp the congress. They are hired to represent a group of citizens but go to Washington  & represent a party. And accomplish NOTHING !! they spend all there time & effort talking shi+ against anybody on the other side of the floor (esp anybody in power ) and do little  2 nothing about what they were sent there to do. They do NOT even represent the people that sent them there. They represent the party line & do not want to even hear any other idea - because if they even are caught listening 2 any other idea they will be destroyed by there own. Our Country was not set up to function that way !! ?? !! ?? !! " I've lied but I'm not a liar " ???

Spazzilla

My students and I watched parts of it; I teach special education Math and Science.  And the following is the God's honest truth.  When Cohen said "I have lied, but I am not a liar.  I have done bad things, but that does not make me bad person," I had one student say, "Padilla, now I don't believe anything he says!"

Huge miscalculation on his part during the testimony.  Yuge
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

izne1home

Quote from: Spazzilla on February 28, 2019, 09:42:59 AM
My students and I watched parts of it; I teach special education Math and Science.  And the following is the God's honest truth.  When Cohen said "I have lied, but I am not a liar.  I have done bad things, but that does not make me bad person," I had one student say, "Padilla, now I don't believe anything he says!"

Huge miscalculation on his part during the testimony.  Yuge

I agree.  Big misfire yesterday.  Trump may have suffered some flesh wounds, but it could have been much worse.

Some of the documents are problematic, but most of Cohen's statements were opinion or speculation.  Asking Cohen if he thinks Trump's tax returns would shed light is not a sound basis for a subpoena.  If this was a legal proceeding, 95% of what he said would have never made it into the record. 

Opinions and speculation can be damaging ONLY if the person is otherwise objective and does not have a dog in the fight.  Cohen started by spewing hatred.  Most people are already polarized, but those who were really interested in the truth probably stopped listening seriously at that point. 

Cohen is banking on the DNC and left-leaning media to recreate his image as a national hero.  It will probably work....

Spazzilla

Quote from: izne1home on February 28, 2019, 10:42:12 AM
Cohen is banking on the DNC and left-leaning media to recreate his image as a national hero.  It will probably work....

His hesitance to discuss potential book and movie deals probably shows his hand a little in this area.  Smart line of questioning from the GOP.
"This is the precept by which I have lived: Prepare for the worst; expect the best; and take what comes."
  - Hannah Arendt

izne1home

Quote from: Spazzilla on February 28, 2019, 02:14:54 PM
His hesitance to discuss potential book and movie deals probably shows his hand a little in this area.  Smart line of questioning from the GOP.

Yes.  He also admitted he is working on moving for a reduced sentence based on his cooperation. 

I'm not defending Trump.  I just think Cohen is trying way too hard and will wind up being his own worst enemy - like his ex-boss. 

Spazzilla

Quote from: izne1home on February 28, 2019, 03:16:37 PM
Yes.  He also admitted he is working on moving for a reduced sentence based on his cooperation. 

I'm not defending Trump.  I just think Cohen is trying way too hard and will wind up being his own worst enemy - like his ex-boss.

Are you legally allowed to tell a story that may, or may not, exist about a person who may be, or may not be, or have been, the president who may, or may not, have planned to build a golf course in Fresno.

Sprinting stallion are something to that extent. I may or may not remember the subject having come up many moons ago.
  - Hannah Arendt

Bronco

When you lie - you are a liar.

izne1home

Quote from: Spazzilla on February 28, 2019, 06:22:16 PM
Are you legally allowed to tell a story that may, or may not, exist about a person who may be, or may not be, or have been, the president who may, or may not, have planned to build a golf course in Fresno.

Sprinting stallion are something to that extent. I may or may not remember the subject having come up many moons ago.

Maybe.  I think I might recall something being discussed about 15,000 posts ago. 

One of the most shameful periods in Fresno's history.  Nothing more than a pawn in Trump's game with the PGA.  His threat was 'deal with me on Trump National in LA or I will buy the Running Horse golf course out of bankruptcy, finish it, and make you eat your empty promise to Fresno, Tom Omera and the veterans to hold a tour event there.' 

The PGA had NO intention of coming anywhere near Fresno, and Trump took full advantage of it.  Fresno's elected officials were only too happy to line up for photo ops and give Trump tax incentives that would have made Amazon jealous. 

The only person less interested in Fresno than the PGA was Trump, but the PGA wasn't going to call his bluff.  Most world leaders won't call his bluff either. 

Backwards K

Facts came out the Cohen met with Cummings, Schiff and other top Democrats who have a hard on for Trump and coached him on what to say and how to phrase it in a sentence, the whole damn hearing / testimony was a democratic scripted event wherein Cohen lied at least 5 times under oath again... Stupid Ass Fool Cohen puppet of the resistance movement !!!!
\\\"Four things come not back: The spoken word, The sped arrow, The past life, The neglected opportunity.\\\" Some One Wise Said It...

\\\"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.\\\"

izne1home

izne1home