News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Signing Day ANTICS

Started by OriginalCVFan, February 12, 2012, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OriginalCVFan

I want to post an article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/05/dalvin-tomlinson-speaks-out-on-alabama-grayshirt-scandal/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

It kind of struck a chord with me.  On the topic of signing day shenanigans.  There are a lot of people out there that try to make 'excuses' for kids that play games with the recruiting process.  Those same people say  "LET THEM ENJOY themselves, they are only kids"   Others say 'act with class and dignity, like youve been there before'   and we banter back and forth about what is right and wrong.

This article points out what happens when you 'LET THE KIDS BE KIDS, and LET THEM ENJOY THE PROCESS"

Those very same ADULTS, who say LET THE KIDS BE KIDS,  LET THEM ENJOY THE GAME, THEY DIDNT CREATE THE SITUATION, the MEDIA DID, (blah blah blah) well those very same kids are the ones that, BECAUSE THEY WAIT TILL SIGNING DAY, BECAUSE THEY MAKE A GAME OF IT, they are the ones that get SCREWED.

You see the televised hat picking crap.  Some of you think this is cool. That is your perogative.  However, the FLIP SIDE of this situation is the fact that, IF YOU WAIT TILL SIGNING DAY to play your game, if you WAIT (HEY LET THE BE KIDS) you also run the risk of NOT HAVING YOUR SCHOLARSHIP THERE WHEN YOU PICK YOUR DAMN HAT

Reading this article, the one thing they focus on is.... Little Johnny wanted to wait till signing day, Little Johnny wanted to keep it quiet and pick a hat.  Well, LITTLEJOHNNY GOT WHAT HE DESERVED, HE GOT SCREWED. 

Those very same people that say LET THEM HAVE THEIR FUN, are the ones that complain about Nick Saban and the GREYSHIRT scandal.   SEC SCHOOLS SOFFERING MORE SCHOLARSHIPS than they have and screwing the kids.  That is being intellectually dishonest.  So many people dont get it.   
IF you want to go to a school, get an offer, and do your homework(like an adult, or a young man becoming an adult) it is serious decision.  Make the decision, move on.  When you get SCREWED on signing day, as this article seems to want to portray, DONT blame it on the coaches.  Dont blame it on the schools.  IT IS ALL PART OF THE PROCESS.  If you commit early, publicly, and dont play games, THIS NEVER HAPPENS.   

Point out to me where a kid thinks he got SCREWED, I will be able to point out to you where the kid screwed himself. 

Have fun if you want, remember, (you are only a kid) but thats the funny thing about growing up.  There are consequences that go along with choosing to take a situation seriously, versus I JUST WANTED TO HAVE FUN. 
]

izne1home

Saban probably saw that video and yanked the scholarship.  That is embarrassing.   This guy is academically qualified to attend the University of Arkansas? 

flexmac3

Quote from: OriginalCVFan on February 12, 2012, 07:51:51 AM
I want to post an article from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/02/05/dalvin-tomlinson-speaks-out-on-alabama-grayshirt-scandal/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

It kind of struck a chord with me.  On the topic of signing day shenanigans.  There are a lot of people out there that try to make 'excuses' for kids that play games with the recruiting process.  Those same people say  "LET THEM ENJOY themselves, they are only kids"   Others say 'act with class and dignity, like youve been there before'   and we banter back and forth about what is right and wrong.

This article points out what happens when you 'LET THE KIDS BE KIDS, and LET THEM ENJOY THE PROCESS"

Those very same ADULTS, who say LET THE KIDS BE KIDS,  LET THEM ENJOY THE GAME, THEY DIDNT CREATE THE SITUATION, the MEDIA DID, (blah blah blah) well those very same kids are the ones that, BECAUSE THEY WAIT TILL SIGNING DAY, BECAUSE THEY MAKE A GAME OF IT, they are the ones that get SCREWED.

You see the televised hat picking crap.  Some of you think this is cool. That is your perogative.  However, the FLIP SIDE of this situation is the fact that, IF YOU WAIT TILL SIGNING DAY to play your game, if you WAIT (HEY LET THE BE KIDS) you also run the risk of NOT HAVING YOUR SCHOLARSHIP THERE WHEN YOU PICK YOUR DAMN HAT

Reading this article, the one thing they focus on is.... Little Johnny wanted to wait till signing day, Little Johnny wanted to keep it quiet and pick a hat.  Well, LITTLEJOHNNY GOT WHAT HE DESERVED, HE GOT SCREWED. 

Those very same people that say LET THEM HAVE THEIR FUN, are the ones that complain about Nick Saban and the GREYSHIRT scandal.   SEC SCHOOLS SOFFERING MORE SCHOLARSHIPS than they have and screwing the kids.  That is being intellectually dishonest.  So many people dont get it.   
IF you want to go to a school, get an offer, and do your homework(like an adult, or a young man becoming an adult) it is serious decision.  Make the decision, move on.  When you get SCREWED on signing day, as this article seems to want to portray, DONT blame it on the coaches.  Dont blame it on the schools.  IT IS ALL PART OF THE PROCESS.  If you commit early, publicly, and dont play games, THIS NEVER HAPPENS.   

Point out to me where a kid thinks he got SCREWED, I will be able to point out to you where the kid screwed himself. 

Have fun if you want, remember, (you are only a kid) but thats the funny thing about growing up.  There are consequences that go along with choosing to take a situation seriously, versus I JUST WANTED TO HAVE FUN. 
OCVF, I do agree with your post, however, most people don't realize that most scholarships are really only one year contracts.
Those kids in the article who had their offers pulled off the table, because they found higher rated player, that was interesting.
Having to point out a 18 year kid immaturity on how they choose a college, is the reason why football should have a early signing day period. Everyone has a hand in this.

Soaring Eagle

Quote from: flexmac3 on February 12, 2012, 11:57:17 AM
OCVF, I do agree with your post, however, most people don't realize that most scholarships are really only one year contracts.
Those kids in the article who had their offers pulled off the table, because they found higher rated player, that was interesting.
Having to point out a 18 year kid immaturity on how they choose a college, is the reason why football should have a early signing day period. Everyone has a hand in this.

I believe the point of the article was that if the kids had not waited to make their decision clear, then the coaches would have stopped looking for 'other' players, thus not offering to 'higher rated' players and putting their scholie in jeopardy.  Make a decision, let the school know and move forward with life, otherwise, the longer you wait, the more opportunity to lose what you have.
One needs very good eyes if you are going to soar high above your prey!

Threads Hijacked to Date:   2    (Verify with the master of tread hijacking IZ, if you don't believe me!)

flexmac3

Quote from: Soaring Eagle on February 12, 2012, 06:22:58 PM
I believe the point of the article was that if the kids had not waited to make their decision clear, then the coaches would have stopped looking for 'other' players, thus not offering to 'higher rated' players and putting their scholie in jeopardy.  Make a decision, let the school know and move forward with life, otherwise, the longer you wait, the more opportunity to lose what you have.
I agree Eagle, but an early signing period would take away some of the antics that goes on with recruiting.
It is working pretty well with high school kids when they decide early where they want to play college Basketball, who IMO are a little more needy ;)

OriginalCVFan

Quote from: Soaring Eagle on February 12, 2012, 06:22:58 PM

Which is the oint i continue to try to make.  If you go through the process "PROPERLY" you dont have this happen.  If the young man would have made his DECISION, and communicated properly, to the coaches on a regular basis, then this would not have happened.

I hate the term 'HAD A SCHOLARSHIP PULLED"    That generalizaiton, which SO MANY people misuse, creates the misperception.   THe kid, first of all, NEVER HAD A SCHOLARSHIP, because he NEVER ACCEPTED.  IF he would have accepted, strongly and regularly in communications, he still would have HAD ONE.  School didnt PULL IT, school had someone else come along and TAKE IT.  Soaring Eagle is right, the coaches never really stop 'looking' but they would have HONORED the kid they offered "FIRST" and who had communicated the proper way, and not made a "LAST MINUTE" decision by pulling a hat.

If you are rated in the top 30-40 at your posision in the country, you can 'USUALLY" get away with it.  However if you are a 3star, which usually means top 30-100 in the country at your position, and you want to pull a LAST DAY HAT TRICK, you can very easily LOSE. 
]

Ken Kaniff

The people pickin hats usually are the elite 5 stars so their scholarships are waiting. Deciding early means nothing because if bigger better comes the coach will no doubt accept his commit too and yack the earlier.

flexmac3

Quote from: Ken Kaniff on February 15, 2012, 11:55:16 AM
The people pickin hats usually are the elite 5 stars so their scholarships are waiting. Deciding early means nothing because if bigger better comes the coach will no doubt accept his commit too and yack the earlier.
Thats why I would have a early signing period day.

OriginalCVFan

Quote from: Ken Kaniff on February 15, 2012, 11:55:16 AM

Again Ken, I have to disagree with you.  You are 'SPECIFICALLY" referring to a handful of the stupid and inane "televised clown shows' that everyone sees and hear about because they ARE 4 and 5 star athletes.   

The rest of us are talking in more BIG PICTURE terms, and that is why I posted the article from the At. Journal Constitution.  There are many many many more 3* athletes and 3* athletes having HAT PICKING ceremonies, you just dont see them on TV(if anyone forms their opinion off of what they see on TV, and then stops there, then ones position is already "LACKING")    That is why you see so many kids complaining about 'scholarships' being pulled or schools offering greyshirts, or blah blah blah. From a 5 star perspective, you are accurate in your description, but the 5* perspective, thats like reading the INSIDE COVER of a Book, and thinking you know what the book is all about and having an opinion on it.   
]

OriginalCVFan

]