News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

rams

Started by taysdad, December 13, 2016, 01:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taysdad

alright all you rams fans...who do you want for your next coach? i think they need to make a splash.

harbaugh seems to be all anyone is talking about. i don't see him leaving michigan, but it would be funny to see him come back to the nfc west and destroy the 49ers twice a year. would be a great coach for goff.

mcdaniels is another guy who seems like a great fit and one to develop goff. he is also the only coordinator imo who should be considered.

gruden is brought up every year when there is an opening. if it's going to happen this seems to be the team for him. gruden would be great for goff, gurley would love him, especially if he bolsters that offensive line, and the rams have a good defense (contrary to the 42 points surrendered sunday). but i think he'd want the power and control. and if he doesn't want goff, would that keep him from taking the job, given what they gave up to get him.

my wild card is saban (65)...i know i know, not gonna happen...but, he's going to win another national title...what else is there to do in college? ask any coach, they want the most success on the highest level, and he surely didn't get it in miami. i love the idea of saban's rams and carroll's seahawks facing off twice a year. i would give him a blank check and say name your price.

pete carroll...i have no idea how they would get him, but there is a looong article from yahoo sports out there about there being high interest from the rams to get him from seattle. he's signed through 2019. i think it's a dream catch for the rams brass, but not gonna happen.

some other names i heard today...steve mariucci (61), mike holgrem (68), mike shanahan (64), and kyle shanahan.

in the end, i think josh mcdaniels gets the job.

diesel

I would LOVE to see Bill Cowher come out of retirement!!

Just_A_Fan

Gruden....he's already said he's interested....the team needs a fire lit under its butt, perfect guy to do that....

SCrubjay

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on December 14, 2016, 07:16:30 AM
Gruden....he's already said he's interested....the team needs a fire lit under its butt, perfect guy to do that....

Jon Gruden has got the greatest gig in football... he's built a reputation far better than he ever was as a coach... his record was just not that great... won one Super Bowl... got beat in the Wild Card round a lot ... and he hasn't run a team since 2008 ... Gruden is not a can't miss hire...

he make $6.5 MM to talk... only a handful of guys make more than that coaching...

Sean Payton   New Orleans Saints   $8,000,000
Pete Carroll   Seattle Seahawks   $8,000,000
Bill Belichick   New England Patriots   $7,500,000
Andy Reid   Kansas City Chiefs   $7,500,000
Jeff Fisher   St. Louis Rams   $7,000,000
John Harbaugh   Baltimore Ravens   $7,000,000
Mike Tomlin   Pittsburgh Steelers   $7,000,000

He is under contract at ESPN through 2021 and I am sure they would boost his pay to keep him...

// I was going to ask if any coach has made more with less success, then I remembered Jim Tomsula ... $14MM for career record of 6-11 ... that guy may have the highest Salary/Win ratio in NFL history

taysdad

Quote from: SCrubjay on December 14, 2016, 08:33:25 AM
Jon Gruden has got the greatest gig in football... he's built a reputation far better than he ever was as a coach... his record was just not that great... won one Super Bowl... got beat in the Wild Card round a lot ... and he hasn't run a team since 2008 ... Gruden is not a can't miss hire...

he make $6.5 MM to talk... only a handful of guys make more than that coaching...

He is under contract at ESPN through 2021 and I am sure they would boost his pay to keep him...

// I was going to ask if any coach has made more with less success, then I remembered Jim Tomsula ... $14MM for career record of 6-11 ... that guy may have the highest Salary/Win ratio in NFL history

yes he's under contract with espn, but he has a clause, just as a lot of other coaches and players on networks that they can get out of it if they decide to return to coaching or playing.

SCrubjay

Quote from: taysdad on December 14, 2016, 09:14:32 AM
yes he's under contract with espn, but he has a clause,....

I get that.... my point is that he has a guaranteed gig for another 5 years which would likely pay him as much as he could make coaching, with a whole lot more stability and less stress .... the average tenure for an NFL coach is 38 months...  and Gruden is not a guaranteed success..  I know that the coaching bug never goes away, but an analyst gig is good forever... see Jimmy Johnson...

http://footballscoop.com/news/there-have-been-68-nfl-coaching-changes-in-the-last-decade/

bigfan

Add Josh McDaniels he has had Rams experience as well as Gruden.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

taysdad

Quote from: bigfan on December 14, 2016, 10:14:10 AM
Add Josh McDaniels he has had Rams experience as well as Gruden.

he was the 2nd name i listed

taysdad

Quote from: diesel on December 13, 2016, 04:01:58 PM
I would LOVE to see Bill Cowher come out of retirement!!

i think cowher would be great too, but they need to take an offensive guy in my opinion. someone to develop goff. the next coach is going to have to like goff and see potential, because the brass aren't getting rid of him, given what they gave up.

diesel

Quote from: taysdad on December 14, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
i think cowher would be great too, but they need to take an offensive guy in my opinion. someone to develop goff. the next coach is going to have to like goff and see potential, because the brass aren't getting rid of him, given what they gave up.

Cowher is smart enough to hire the right guy to help develop Goff.......

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: SCrubjay on December 14, 2016, 08:33:25 AM

Yea, I know his record but what this team needs more than anything else is a fire in its belly....if you ask Gruden's prior players they say he instilled that....now whether Gruden would actually take the job is a big question for the very reasons you point out....tough to leave that kind of gig and money though Kronke has the money if he really wants someone like Gruden to take the reins....

taysdad

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on December 14, 2016, 11:14:43 AM
Yea, I know his record but what this team needs more than anything else is a fire in its belly....if you ask Gruden's prior players they say he instilled that....now whether Gruden would actually take the job is a big question for the very reasons you point out....tough to leave that kind of gig and money though Kronke has the money if he really wants someone like Gruden to take the reins....

he'd get similar if not more money. and to my knowledge a coaches contract is guaranteed in the event of firing. fisher is getting every penny of that extension he signed last week.

Bronco

The Rams need a "hard nosed" DEMANDING guy to lead them & demand the kind of effort it takes to be successful in a league filled with talent. The teams that are successful Programs year in & year out seem to get more EFFORT out off there players then just going through the "game plan" every week. I am SO sick of watching Ram wr's drop the ball - or even worse - play volleyball  with it & set it to a defender !!???! They also need some serious help on thee O-Line !!

Bronco