News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Screen drills for D line.

Started by Bobby_Digital72, August 20, 2015, 12:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby_Digital72

Anybody have any good ones for individual drill(s) ?

taysdad

the best point i read on one site: "Defensive linemen need to realize that they are just, plain, not that good. No one worth their salt is going to block you for a half a second and then just completely release you. Hold you? Yes. Tackle you? Absolutely. Scream "LOOK OUT!"? Maybe. But release you and RUN!? No, that's a screen. Recognize it." the site doesn't really give drills but it has an illustration. probably a good starting point, recognize, find which way, and pursue.

taysdad

this might help a little more. as he says in the video, trail the lineman once it's recognized.

http://usafootball.com/video/drills-and-performance/defending-the-screen-pass/8894

Forceuser

I think it's a feel thing.  Having the D-line do 1 on 1's with the O-line, will give them a feel for what a real pass protection feels like.  Knowing what the real thing feels like allows them to diagnose when a fake comes around. The whole saying of "if it's to good, then it is" comes into play. 
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

Darth Backer

It's nice when the DL can sniff it out but it also has to be a down and distance thing with the LBs.  Ultimately, those are the guys that need to make the play.

bruin22

We always talk about "backs just standing around."  If they are in your area and not engaging fully we abort what we do and "cancel the back."  We basically box him out. 
"Football doesn't take me away from my family life.  We've always watched film together."  -Fred Akers

BIG SKIN

Quote from: bruin22 on August 20, 2015, 01:41:26 PM
We always talk about "backs just standing around."  If they are in your area and not engaging fully we abort what we do and "cancel the back."  We basically box him out. 
...About the best thing you can do and hope no one gets lost in space.
Poor people have voted DEMOCRAT for the last 50 years.....GUESS what....they are STILL POOR.

Bobby_Digital72

Thanks everyone. This definitely helps. I'll post with what I come up with

wolfman

These are all very good coaching points, Coach, but if you still want more information, please PM me...I might have a few things as well.

wolfman