News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Garces Coach Steps Down

Started by CoachSki, February 02, 2012, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachSki

I for one am glad.  You Maples haters must have no clue ho was coaching from the sidelines last year.  As far as I know, Crosby is still on staff for next year.  Anton is a great coach and great guy, but he just started a job at Bolthouse Farms and could not leave withou a teaching position.

GoldenHawksFootball

Maples was always the guy. It was his job to lose even back in January. All they did was wait about 3 months longer than they should have.

Old School

If the school cared about the program, they would have created a position. The boy's basketball program has two on staff coaches and many of the other sports have at least one on staff coach. NOT FOOTBALL. Jim is nice guy, but any coach in Bakersfield will tell you that. There is a reason he was let go as the East head coach and the Garces JV coach. It is not always about the record but about how you are reflecting the goals and mission of the school while instilling those values into the young men. Oh well, time to move on.  :(

BHS_Alumni

Congrats to Mapes.

With all the baggage it will be a great opportunity.  :u:

Kick some butt Jimmy.  :u:
"Mr. President.  You don't pick winners and losers.  You pick LOSERS." Mitt Romney, October 3, 2012

GOALPOST

Jim Maples has worked with this program the last 2 years and was judged on that profromance not a interview. Garces did the right thing by promoting him from Assistant Head Coach to lead this program with the same honor as those before him. I really think us Garces fans are happy about keeping this staff together with Coach Hronis and Shipp who the players really wanted to stay. The fact is they deserve a big Thank you for working since the end of last season not really knowing the future of the program and focusing on next season which only benefits the team. The committee did the right thing and the addministration approved the right guy. This program is in good shape with the youth and experience they have put together. Garces back to Valley D2 game in 2012. Good Luck

CoachSki

With this drama finally out of the way, it's time to focus on that VC that has eluded the Rams the last two years.  Faith has been restored and the kids are psyched.  GO RAMS!

TeddyKGB

Good...now there should be no excuses when the Drillers slap the lambs around.

tailgator

Garces took the right steps in route to selecting their next VHC.  Allowing all prospects the opportunity to apply dispelled any future allegations (which undoubtedly would have followed) of an  "inside job", each applicant had their shot and the admin. picked the right guy.  Maples and Company will light up Tobias Field unlike anything Rams fans have witnessed in over 20 years!  Purchase your season tickets early or join the "standing room only" crowd!  GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!             

dlion

Why is it so important to have someone on staff coaching the football team.  Prior to the  John L. era,  that "on staff" philosophy brought out some pretty horrendous coaching  at Garces. 

Congrats Jim Maples! 

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey!

diesel

Quote from: dlion on March 26, 2012, 12:19:32 PM
Why is it so important to have someone on staff coaching the football team.  Prior to the  John L. era,  that "on staff" philosophy brought out some pretty horrendous coaching  at Garces. 

Congrats Jim Maples! 

In a perfect world, you hire the best guy for the job and THEN you find him an on-campus position so he has more contact with the student-athletes in his program......

dlion

Word2thewise

Quote from: tailgator on March 26, 2012, 10:46:36 AM
Garces took the right steps in route to selecting their next VHC.  Allowing all prospects the opportunity to apply dispelled any future allegations (which undoubtedly would have followed) of an  "inside job", each applicant had their shot and the admin. picked the right guy.  Maples and Company will light up Tobias Field unlike anything Rams fans have witnessed in over 20 years!  Purchase your season tickets early or join the "standing room only" crowd!  GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!             

You're right about one thing.. They will definitely be lighting something up if you know what I mean. Horrendous selection, not the type of role models I want my kids to be playing for

TeddyKGB

I'm not a fan of garces by any stretch of the imagination or of maples for that matter but to take a shot at someone like that on a forum that is about HS sports is petty and shows a lot about the character of the person doing that. Word I'm sure you are a flawless and yet you walk amongst us morals right?

GOALPOST

100% Correct. Thank you TeddyKGB. Just the fact that Coach Maples continued working with the staff and team during the process tells you everything you need to know about him. Good decision by the Garces Administration.

Word2thewise

You know what KGB, you're right. I apologize. I don't know Maples personally but haven't heard many people say positive things about him or the staff. I can understand passing Crosby over because of his inexperience and youth (even though I think he would do a great job) but passing Tim Antongiovanni is a huge mistake. He is a great guy, experienced coach and a great role model. I'm very disappointed in the selection.
I apologize to Maples and his staff, that was wrong.

TeddyKGB

goalpost, please do not confuse what I said for me defending or having a high opinion of maples. My point was that this is not the place for such comments, thats all.

dlion

Quote from: Word2thewise on March 26, 2012, 04:05:44 PM
You're right about one thing.. They will definitely be lighting something up if you know what I mean. Horrendous selection, not the type of role models I want my kids to be playing for

word 2 ....you sound like the guy who didn't get the job>   BAD FORM!

BHS_Alumni

Quote from: Word2thewise on March 26, 2012, 07:33:55 PM
You know what KGB, you're right. I apologize. I don't know Maples personally but haven't heard many people say positive things about him or the staff. I can understand passing Crosby over because of his inexperience and youth (even though I think he would do a great job) but passing Tim Antongiovanni is a huge mistake. He is a great guy, experienced coach and a great role model. I'm very disappointed in the selection.
I apologize to Maples and his staff, that was wrong.

No need for this. 

Maples will do a fine job.  Give him some breathing room.  It's his program now to mold.
"Mr. President.  You don't pick winners and losers.  You pick LOSERS." Mitt Romney, October 3, 2012

GOALPOST

I understand TeddyKGB. Thanks for the clarification. Word2thewise, I hope Coach Maples and staff can convince you and any others that the committee and administration made the right choice for today with his experience and in the future with this young staff of DT, Shipp, Frank, Eric, and Fred. I for one ( parent ) have positive things to say about him and staff.

GOALPOST