News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Garces Coach Steps Down

Started by CoachSki, February 02, 2012, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailgator

OK, I'll go with your thought process; I think?  One question for you; should a player inherent his job simply because he is a returner or should it be open to competition and earn his position?  Should it be a different standard for a coach, an AD, a principal, a dean of students or anyone else trying to earn a position out in the real world?  I hope there are no double standards at Garces; by the way I recall that Coach Maples was given the title of assistant head coach by the former head coach, clearly a promotion from his role in 2010.  Enough of the "Ewes" metaphor, we get it; Jump on board, we want you to!  GO RAMS!   

boobooazul

is dj martin the starting running back at stockdale?   Based on past preformance....yes.   will kione taylors be a starter next year on the first day of practice.....yes.  Did Arron Rodgers go to bed last night wondering if Peyton was heading to green bay?......no, he slept well knowing he did a good job for his team.

maples is 21-4.... do you bench him?

izne1home

Based on my experience (CW 2007) you are right to be concerned.  You should not initiate an interview process unless you are committed to hiring an outside coach.  Going through the exercise for the sake of the exercise, is not always wise.  It's not fair to the coaches and it can impact support. 

I'm not sure who is making this decision (administration, donors, etc) but they shouldn't do it in a vacuum.  History has a way of repeating itself.  It cost CUSD a cool $600,000. 

TeddyKGB

maples is not 21-4...the kids & the entire team was 21-4.

boobooazul

I don't want to give the impression that all is negative at  the BIG G.  There are some real shinning stars in the mix.  

Next time you are watching a garces football game just watch the AD on the side line.  You can't fake that kind of spirt.  If i jumped up and down like that, if I ran up and down the sideline as much as she does i would have to be taken out on a strecher  after the game.  Cheers to LS

John L. and Vince bill out at about $.30/hour with the time and dedication they put into that school.  They will never be duplicated and they  have my gratitude.

Lou Ann, Micah  have brought a new level to the school.  They bring the people to the yard!  They turned a disinterested student body into a thriving force to be reckoned with.

DT H.  Ship,  These are two guys I would like to see for the next 20 years.  They LOVE what the do and it shows.  

these are just a few that have me saying GO RAMS.......I have forgotten some i'm sure so lets have somebody else fill in the blanks....sound off  out there in the Ram world.  

accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

boobooazul

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 22, 2012, 08:18:01 AM
maples is not 21-4...the kids & the entire team was 21-4.

ok smart guy.   What is maples record?   

WWallace

I'll say this one more time...I think the mind set of hire Maples because he's shown commitment or has been part of a program that went 21-4 still must be weighed against the possibility of hiring an on campus coach. IMO a qualified on campus coach is FAR better for the program than a walk-on coach. I know this idea is hard for those of you who want a seamless transition and who wants to keep a familiar system, but you still can't convince me that the on-campus situation is not best for the long term. Also, I agree that there is much more to coaching at a school like garces, but I'm not convinced that Maples truly understands that completely. It's just not that easy for a tiger to change his stripes.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: boobooazul on February 22, 2012, 08:49:41 AM

ok smart guy.   What is maples record?   

Just like I said the team was 21-4 not maples. Or can't  ewe read? WWallace also states he was part of a program that went 21-4. Those kids would have been pretty good, 21-4 I don't know no one does but it was ALL maples doing.

boobooazul

wwallace,  

You are correct in all you say but would you step down in coach quality to achieve an on campus coach.  If so, how much? That will be the devil in the details for this decision.  

On campus coach, as good or better,  would obviously be better for all concerned save maples.  He loses out and i think the lack of loyalty to one who has served hurts the school.

boobooazul

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 22, 2012, 09:46:31 AM
Just like I said the team was 21-4 not maples. Or can't  ewe read? WWallace also states he was part of a program that went 21-4. Those kids would have been pretty good, 21-4 I don't know no one does but it was ALL maples doing.

KGB....when was the last time they fired the kids for losing?   From 1953 to 1985  "the kids" at BHS went 210-99-15    it was coincidental that Paul Briggs was there for that same exact time frame.  Crazy huh!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: boobooazul on February 22, 2012, 09:58:20 AM

KGB....when was the last time they fired the kids for losing?   From 1953 to 1985  "the kids" at BHS went 210-99-15    it was coincidental that Paul Briggs was there for that same exact time frame.  Crazy huh!

dude you cant compare 1953-1985 to 2012 for a couple of different reasons.  But let's entertain your line of thinking for a moment, what was maples record at east? Start to finish, I'm willing to bet it wasn't much over .500 and I know it wasnt close to .875. regardless, that maple's history was not my point, my point was that the kids had a whole heck of a lot to do with the 21 wins. And kids do get fired, they get benched and replaced.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: izne1home on February 22, 2012, 07:58:14 AM
Based on my experience (CW 2007) you are right to be concerned.  You should not initiate an interview process unless you are committed to hiring an outside coach.  Going through the exercise for the sake of the exercise, is not always wise.  It's not fair to the coaches and it can impact support. 

I'm not sure who is making this decision (administration, donors, etc) but they shouldn't do it in a vacuum.  History has a way of repeating itself.  It cost CUSD a cool $600,000. 

Huh??? I'm lost. I don't remember posting anything on here.

Forceuser

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on February 22, 2012, 10:18:57 AM
Huh??? I'm lost. I don't remember posting anything on here.

I dont think he was talking to you, I think he was refering actually to Clovis West in 2007.   :D
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

boobooazul

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 22, 2012, 10:09:30 AM
dude you cant compare 1953-1985 to 2012 for a couple of different reasons.  But let's entertain your line of thinking for a moment, what was maples record at east? Start to finish, I'm willing to bet it wasn't much over .500 and I know it wasnt close to .875. regardless, that maple's history was not my point, my point was that the kids had a whole heck of a lot to do with the 21 wins. And kids do get fired, they get benched and replaced.

I am entertained by watching you argue with yourself.  Watch that fence post as you jump from one side to the other.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: boobooazul on February 22, 2012, 10:29:15 AM
I am entertained by watching you argue with yourself.  Watch that fence post as you jump from one side to the other.

Simple minds are easily amused.

Coach Hurd

Quote from: boobooazul on February 22, 2012, 10:29:15 AM

:u:

We have found Teddy very entertaining for years now. He has his own Silver spoon to stir the pot.

boobooazul

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 22, 2012, 10:09:30 AM

kgb fyi

In the immortal word of sgt Friday....just the facts mam.   maples 7 year record at east is  41w - 37 L .   You gotta admit thats getting a lot out of the east kids.

they have gone  11-29 since.   Inconvenient truth.

TeddyKGB

and since then (11-29) how many D1 kids have been at east, how many have gone on to play college ball? the team that won the VC had a OL/DL that was 6'8" and got a scholly to a UW...and a RB that started at BC, point is the talent pool at east has been on a down swing in the cycle. But hey if a guy can coach a kid to be 6'8" I'd hire him.

boobooazul

Quote from: Coach Hurd on February 22, 2012, 10:41:34 AM

:u:

We have found Teddy very entertaining for years now. He has his own Silver spoon to stir the pot.

its like arguing with an opossum

boobooazul

Quote from: TeddyKGB on February 22, 2012, 10:53:43 AM
and since then (11-29) how many D1 kids have been at east, how many have gone on to play college ball? the team that won the VC had a OL/DL that was 6'8" and got a scholly to a UW...and a RB that started at BC, point is the talent pool at east has been on a down swing in the cycle. But hey if a guy can coach a kid to be 6'8" I'd hire him.

Scritchfield, Shive and Nichols D-1 guys  in 77     I don't recall east being very good as a team. furthermore.... How many D-1 's off the BHS team this year?

I want to make this simple for ewe to read.  Money is a measure of success in business,  win loss record is a measure of success in coaching.  You can't apply it selectively  to Briggs and not maples.

Maples record at east is probably more impressive than the w/l's at garces. (in a relative sense)

boobooazul