News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Garces Coach Steps Down

Started by CoachSki, February 02, 2012, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Word2thewise

Quote from: mw1 on March 06, 2012, 07:49:40 AM
Well, I heard nothing is going to happen until the end of March - so, don't look for any announcement any time soon.  Does anybody know what kind of a coach the J.V. hc was? 

Crosby, the JV HC, is a great young coach. Is a great offensive guy and did a heck of a job with Pavletich at QB. Great with the kids, great with the parents, and great with the administration. Garces would be very wise to go in this direction.
Any idea on how many applications? I heard at lunch today that there may only be two, Maples and Crosby? I can't believe this job wouldn't attract more applicants. Well the clock is ticking, we should all find out in the next two weeks.

mw1

Quote from: PigIron on March 09, 2012, 07:26:50 PM
Really? What 3 names are, "in the hat"?

I heard ("heard" meaning second or third-hand) that it was JM, the JV HC, and another guy who has coached there before.  The deadline just ended, so maybe someone else has applied since then.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

CoachSki

Just to clarify, it is my understanding that Crosby applied for the position to get the experience of the interview.  He is not being disloyal, in case anyone was wondering.  I have heard a total of six names mentioned for the position--three names by rumor and hearsay.  Only Maples has given me what I would consider to be his consent to report his name.  Crosby confirmed the rumor to some of the players, but not to me directly.  I have also learned that two asst. coaches from the Clovis North staff may have applied, but only one has confirmed it to me.  I heard early on in the process that Steve Antongiovanni applied, but he later backed out after he learned there was no teaching position available at the school.  The most recent rumor was relayed to me at one of my favorite local dining spots over dinner.  My source was another parent who has close ties to the administration, and she told me of a rumor about a former Garces Alum who coaches out of state on the college level who wants to return to Bakersfield.  I was not given a name--only his bio.  That's all the info I have on the subject, and I would not call any of it "firm" beyond Coach Maples.  Of course, that's good news to me, since he is my No. 1 choice anyway.

BakoFan06

Ski, What would be disloyal about Crosby applying? Also, I believe it was "TIM" Antongiovanni who was planning to apply. Any word on who the alum is? I can't imagine Garces getting two many serious applicants with no teaching job available. Tim Anton would be a good hire and its unfortunate they dont have a job available. Any CN coach would be a good hire as I thought they were one of the best coached teams in the Valley and it showed against Garces in the valley game. Now the application process is done, any word on when the interviews will start and they can get this thing settled?

CoachSki

You're right, it is Tim Anton, my bad.  No idea on when interviews are scheduled.  I agree the lack of a teaching position hinders the whole process.  When I first heard of the alleged Alum, I immediately though about Greg Robinson.  He's the only one likely wealthy enough to coach without a teaching paycheck.  As for Crosby's application, I just wanted to clarify that he would never want to circumvent the de facto coach's chances of getting the job.  Jeff is a great guy and would never do that.  As far as I know, he supports Maples and plans to be on staff if he gets hired.  I know some people were confused about his application.

BakoFan06

I don't think there is a "De Facto coach" if they are having an open application process. . I doubt Crosby would go through the process of getting letters  of recommendation just for a test run. Although, if Mapes is as good as coach as you think he is, he shouldn't have anything to worry about. Should be an interesting next few weeks.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: BakoFan06 on March 12, 2012, 09:31:32 PM
Although, if Mapes is as good as coach as you think he is, he shouldn't have anything to worry about.
That's what I said a while back, if you are truly a competitor you have no problem with the process.

mw1

#1 - If Greg Robinson is the guy who applied, that would be huge news; however, I think he just took a job with the Rams - so, I don't think he is the guy.

#2 - The idea that a JV coach would be thought of as "disloyal" for aspiring to be the varsity coach in an open-interview process.... c'mon now.

Man, the next two weeks are going to be very interesting.......
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

flexmac3

Quote from: mw1 on March 13, 2012, 09:22:51 AM
#1 - If Greg Robinson is the guy who applied, that would be huge news; however, I think he just took a job with the Rams - so, I don't think he is the guy.

#2 - The idea that a JV coach would be thought of as "disloyal" for aspiring to be the varsity coach in an open-interview process.... c'mon now.

Man, the next two weeks are going to be very interesting.......
Like Teddy posted. The process should not be a problem.

Vic Mackey

I have a weird feeling that if the "powers that be" at Garces don't like the applicants they have received that they might just ask the legendary John L. Fanucchi to come out of retirement and lead a new generation of Rams on the field.

BHS_Alumni

Quote from: Vic Mackey on March 13, 2012, 09:05:28 PM
I have a weird feeling that if the "powers that be" at Garces don't like the applicants they have received that they might just ask the legendary John L. Fanucchi to come out of retirement and lead a new generation of Rams on the field.

I love John L. but the new "Names" at Garces won't go back to the Fanucchi's.  Water under the bridge and gone.  I get the feeling that Jim Maples will get the nod but people tell me his past indescretions are under extreme scrutiny by members on the selection committee.
"Mr. President.  You don't pick winners and losers.  You pick LOSERS." Mitt Romney, October 3, 2012

dlion

Has there been any progress on this issue?  It's almost april.  Was there a revised announcement date?  c'mon man!
In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey!

BHS_Alumni

Quote from: dlion on March 20, 2012, 10:37:10 AM
Has there been any progress on this issue?  It's almost april.  Was there a revised announcement date?  c'mon man!

No word.  The announcement date is still in place as far as the people I talk too.

The longer it takes to announce the less chance I think Maples has to get the job. 

I'm changing my opinion that it won't be Maples but it will be a "Name".  Not Fanuchi but Antongiovanni. 

They will give him the Dean position so he can make a living.  At least he will be on campus.  Which is a good thing.
"Mr. President.  You don't pick winners and losers.  You pick LOSERS." Mitt Romney, October 3, 2012

CoachSki

I was told by several people that Anton backed out of consideration for the position because they had no position to offer.  In fact, the Centennial HS coaching staff all expected him back at CHS next year as the Frosh-Soph coach.  This was all before the application deadline and before the interviews took place.  I am not aware that he even interviewed.  Unless something dramatic has changed, this would really shock me.  The last I heard (keep in mind, it has been 2 weeks) was that the Admin was excited about a Garces alum applying from New Mexico.  They were reportedly holding up the interview process especially for him because he was not available until the end of March.  Rumor was that even the coaching staff from last year liked this guy and would be willing to remain as assistants.  The same person who told me about this rumor also told me that East High told Maples that he was prohibited from taking the HC job at Garces because he was a teacher at East.  I can't imagine East could issue such a mandate, since they had no problem with Maples being the Asst HC the last two years.  Unfortunately, all this info just amounts to unsubstantiated hearsay and speculation in my opinion.  The only people who have knowledge of what is going on are the Admin, and they ain't talking.

TeddyKGB

I can see where east would have a problem with him being the head coach because of the time that it requires and they may not want his class room work to be compromised. But being a tenured guy I don't see his job at east at risk but the KHSD works in mysterious ways he could end up with an involuntary transfer to Kern Valley or worse yet make him coach at east again!

valleyfbfan

Is the New Mexico guy William McCain?  He played at Garces back in the late 80's.  He has coached a couple places in New Mexico.

Forceuser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on March 20, 2012, 06:16:15 PM
I can see where east would have a problem with him being the head coach because of the time that it requires and they may not want his class room work to be compromised. But being a tenured guy I don't see his job at east at risk but the KHSD works in mysterious ways he could end up with an involuntary transfer to Kern Valley or worse yet make him coach at east again!

To funny, but the admin can not tell a teacher what he or she can and can not do on their own time.  So although they may threaten, they have no teeth.  This is per our union rep.  I personally think this has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Garces is in the same league as East.  Nothing more nothing less, but any professional should be able to keep the two seperate. 
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

dlion

It's Maples........now we can move on.
In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey!

BakoFan06

Quote from: dlion on March 23, 2012, 12:49:55 PM
It's Maples........now we can move on.

Please Please Please tell me thats a joke. Garces takes a huge step backwards...

Word2thewise

Just heard the news! Garces is making a huge mistake with this hire. Maples really must of really laid it on the hiring committee. Two fantastic young coaches in Crosby and Antongiovanni and they go with Maples who has pretty much been blackballed by the KHSD. Someone on the staff, we all know who it is, must of made a huge donation. Too bad for Garces

Word2thewise