News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Bryson Donelson Compared to Best in Section History

Started by Press Box Hero, December 12, 2023, 02:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRea

There are so many great RB's and impact players that have come from the valley.  What ever happened to that RB from Clovis High that was with Nate Johnson? I know that they didn't win any championships but he had some monster performances his senior year.
"You have to be careful of people who like to talk a big game but can't back it up." – Ray Lewis

izne1home

One of the best RBs in section history, any division, any time, any place:  Edwin Conway, ET.  Class of 1977.  The only guy I've seen who could load up and hit you with the same explosive power was Lorenzo Neal.  Picture Neal, a little taller and much faster.

The top USC tailback recruit.  Coach Robinson and his OC were at the 1977 All Star game.  Conway broke the rushing record half way into the 2nd quarter, when he was ejected. 

Unfortunately, he disappeared into the fog and didn't report to USC. Not clear on what happened, but this kid had the world at his fingertips. 

Bronco

izne1home

Quote from: Bronco on December 17, 2023, 09:22:42 PMTyler Clutts Clovis 2000 - 2002

Total stud. Conway had the same impact.  You'd go to a game just to watch him play. 

Not too many guys who can take the ball and win games all by themselves.

TeddyKGB

Tyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler

Darth Backer

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 18, 2023, 12:10:39 PMTyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler

He won at least 1 title at 215 pounds!

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Darth Backer on December 19, 2023, 10:17:45 AMHe won at least 1 title at 215 pounds!

I couldn't remember if he won a state title or just placed...

izne1home

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 19, 2023, 10:56:15 AMI couldn't remember if he won a state title or just placed...

He was friends with my daughter.  As I recall, he won an individual state championship and a team state championship.  Also all-state in football.   

Bronco

Quote from: TeddyKGB on December 18, 2023, 12:10:39 PMTyler Clutts was a man amongst boys for sure! QB, LBer and if I remember correctly state qualifying wrestler
State Champion ! ! He made me a good Football Coach. Great Football players make good Football Coaches !

StupidJagoff

Quote from: RayRea on December 15, 2023, 09:15:23 AMThere are so many great RB's and impact players that have come from the valley.  What ever happened to that RB from Clovis High that was with Nate Johnson? I know that they didn't win any championships but he had some monster performances his senior year.
I think you're referring to Tristan Risley... not sure what happened to him. Maybe he went the JUCO route?

anthilllegend

Bingo...Bronco! Isn't it amazing/ironic that the best coaches are usually found standing next to the best players. Some say...they would rather be lucky than good.  No way, give me the talented every time.

The Anthilllegend

Darth Backer

Quote from: anthilllegend on December 28, 2023, 08:08:40 AMBingo...Bronco! Isn't it amazing/ironic that the best coaches are usually found standing next to the best players. Some say...they would rather be lucky than good.  No way, give me the talented every time.

The Anthilllegend

I think it was somewhere around year 17 or 18 in my career that we had gone through a couple of down seasons and suddenly had a surprise team that was really outstanding (12-1) after going 2-8 or 1-9 the year before. I realized that our entire coaching staff hadn't done a darn thing differently. We just had a run of talent. Not gonna lie, it kind of turned me off to coaching in some ways.

Don't get me wrong, you've got to put the work in and sustain the program and go hard every season. But your primary job is to make sure you have the systems in place when you get that once in an every 10 year run of talent.

Bronco

You are right Ant - I have always said that Great players make good Coaches. I have had the opportunity to coach a lot of them. And have truly enjoyed EVERY day of doing it !

Lancelot

Tyler Clutts started every game at QB and DE/LB played all 4 quarters.
John McKay on being interviewed about his teams execution after a bad loss. " I'm all for it"

BigDawg79

Add Player of the Year to Donelson's accomplishments.

Bryson Donelson named Medium School Football Player of the Year by CalhiSports.com

Bronco

Tyler was named Valley player of the year by Channel 30 sports

Pack Mentality

Best RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

TeddyKGB

Quote from: Pack Mentality on January 31, 2024, 01:47:36 PMBest RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

can you explain the reasons for this?

izne1home

Quote from: Pack Mentality on January 31, 2024, 01:47:36 PMBest RB in CS History is Tracy Slocum and most underrated athlete in CS History is Westy Guill, both from Clovis East.

Both beasts.  Best in CS history...?  And as I recall, nobody was underestimating Guill at CE.  It would be interesting to put all these guys on the same field with the same conditions, the same offenses, etc. 

Under those conditions, I'm still going all in on Edwin Conway.

izne1home