News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

New Buchanan Coach??

Started by ETKilla, January 24, 2013, 10:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeddyKGB

Quote from: obiwan on January 25, 2013, 01:25:57 PM
Coach Hurd...you might be losing your credibility...

When did Hurd have credibility? Putting the word "coach" in your name doesn't make you all-knowing...or does it?

jeraf

I think that there is still one area that hasn't been covered.  At Buchanan it seems that looking from the outside, the Baseball program reigns supreme over Football.  It's been posted in the past that Vogt allowed football players to play in multiple sports.  So when others were in spring weight training several players would be playing baseball and then join the team later.  Will the new H C be as lenient?  Because I know that at some other schools, multiple sports are frowned on. Just sayin.

valleynative

CN kids play multiple sports and have been successful in football.

obiwan

When did Hurd have credibility? Putting the word "coach" in your name doesn't make you all-knowing...or does it?

ETKilla.....I was just joking around.....

sheepdog

Is this thread no longer about speculation on the future HC at Buchanan?

flexmac3

Quote from: sheepdog on January 26, 2013, 02:04:31 PM
yes, it appears that when coach hurd post something, the topic at hand gets hijacked. That's what Big Skin is trying to stop.

Don't know much about Buchanan, but campus is nice.

Darth Backer

Hurd takes a ton of the fun out of this site.

flexmac3

Quote from: Darth Backer on January 26, 2013, 06:53:00 PM
Hurd takes a ton of the fun out of this site.

So when did posting an opinion become a problem?

I have no problems with any member, I dont know you, what a member post is their business, if I feel like posting a response to a members post, I do.

We all have one thing in common, thats HS football.

Its really not that serious.

Well, I do hate Fresno ;)

Oh! Im sorry, hi jacked thread again, I must be catching the Izne Flu.

christhepunter

Quote from: sheepdog on January 26, 2013, 02:04:31 PM

Basically, there are not many people around this Valley that don't already have big school jobs that are qualified to take on the monster that is a big time D1 school.  I don't think the minor leagues in the Valley (lower Divisions) prepare you for the big leagues in the Valley there is just more to do, and more expectations.....

officer farva

Quote from: christhepunter on January 27, 2013, 10:16:57 AM
Basically, there are not many people around this Valley that don't already have big school jobs that are qualified to take on the monster that is a big time D1 school.  I don't think the minor leagues in the Valley (lower Divisions) prepare you for the big leagues in the Valley there is just more to do, and more expectations.....
What is different about the minor leagues that doesnt prepare you for schools with higher enrollment?

TeddyKGB

Chris I don't know if I would call the lower divisions the "minor leagues", you would be surprised what kind of expectations come from the smaller towns. I do agree with you that there are not very many lower division jobs that can perpare a coach for what he can expect when coaching in the CUSD and the TRAC; Marty, of CW fame, found that out. A pretty good example of a coach taking a big program over after running a tiny one (in comparison) is Brian Nixion here in Bakersfield. He was the head coach of Shafter High (when he was there the enrollment was around 1200-1400 (guessing here do not quote me) and he went to Centennial which I would guess had 2200-2400, far higher expectations at Centennial, very different socio-economical make up of the schools and he did very well there.

ETKilla

Quote from: obiwan on January 26, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

ETKilla.....I was just joking around.....

I know.  I read you loud and clear. 
Mike Jones.  Who?  Mike Jones.  281-330-8004

diesel

Quote from: TeddyKGB on January 27, 2013, 11:04:45 AM
Chris I don't know if I would call the lower divisions the "minor leagues", you would be surprised what kind of expectations come from the smaller towns. I do agree with you that there are not very many lower division jobs that can perpare a coach for what he can expect when coaching in the CUSD and the TRAC; Marty, of CW fame, found that out. A pretty good example of a coach taking a big program over after running a tiny one (in comparison) is Brian Nixion here in Bakersfield. He was the head coach of Shafter High (when he was there the enrollment was around 1200-1400 (guessing here do not quote me) and he went to Centennial which I would guess had 2200-2400, far higher expectations at Centennial, very different socio-economical make up of the schools and he did very well there.

Coach Bennett of Tulare brought CVC from 8 man football into the 11 man game before taking over at Tulare Union where he almost immediately had success in D2......

GoldenHawksFootball

QuoteChris I don't know if I would call the lower divisions the "minor leagues", you would be surprised what kind of expectations come from the smaller towns. I do agree with you that there are not very many lower division jobs that can perpare a coach for what he can expect when coaching in the CUSD and the TRAC; Marty, of CW fame, found that out. A pretty good example of a coach taking a big program over after running a tiny one (in comparison) is Brian Nixion here in Bakersfield. He was the head coach of Shafter High (when he was there the enrollment was around 1200-1400 (guessing here do not quote me) and he went to Centennial which I would guess had 2200-2400, far higher expectations at Centennial, very different socio-economical make up of the schools and he did very well there.

I don't mean to hijack anything but don't forget before Nixon was at Shafter, he was at tiny Frazier Mountain High. The funny thing about the enrollment size is that today Shafter High's enrollment is- 1,493. Centennial High's is 1,789 and dropping each year. Like you said 2,200 to 2,400 just a few years ago. If we were going strictly off of numbers, Arvin is really too big for the SSL at 2,485. While BCHS fits the bill enrollment wise, they really have better athletic programs with just 463 students. And we know comparing socio economics and the private/public debate are pretty evident of this example. Imagine if BCHS had another thousand students like Shafter, Wasco, & Chavez do. And imagine if they had 2,000 more students like Arvin. People would be outraged that they are not D1. Arvin used to be a powerhouse. They had great athletic teams. It's really sad that they can't field better teams with those kind of numbers regardless of any other data.

TeddyKGB

I think guys that have been successful at smaller schools do fine at schools with more resources because they learned how to get it down at schools with limited resources. At the same time what can perpare someone to coach at a CUSD school?

Bronco

Quote from: TeddyKGB on January 27, 2013, 12:59:57 PM
I think guys that have been successful at smaller schools do fine at schools with more resources because they learned how to get it down at schools with limited resources. At the same time what can perpare someone to coach at a CUSD school?
Nothing  can  prepare  a  guy  to  coach  for  the  Clovis Unified admin. team  :D

valleynative

Quote from: Bronco on January 27, 2013, 02:50:41 PM
   Nothing  can  prepare  a  guy  to  coach  for  the  Clovis Unified admin. team  :D

BRONCO! Did the snow run you out of the high country???  You have been missed  :(

Bronco

Quote from: valleynative on January 27, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
BRONCO! Did the snow run you out of the high country???  You have been missed  :(
Exactly !! Not  much  hunting  &  fishing  going  on  up  there  right  now  8) And I  missed  all  you  guys  so  much that  I  broke  down  &  got  internet  service out  here  at  the  Ranch :u:

valleynative

Quote from: Bronco on January 27, 2013, 05:54:21 PM
Exactly !! Not  much  hunting  &  fishing  going  on  up  there  right  now  8) And I  missed  all  you  guys  so  much that  I  broke  down  &  got  internet  service out  here  at  the  Ranch :u:

Sweet! Welcome back!

ETKilla

Quote from: Bronco on January 27, 2013, 05:54:21 PM

Have you heard there's two Clovis jobs that might be open.   You may want to come out from that rock you've been hiding under and throw your name in the ring. 

ETKilla