News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Glaus

Started by Backstop, April 29, 2024, 02:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backstop

According to Pagmeter, Glaus is out at Buchanan

CleverUserName

Yup...sad day...Fontes taking over...Jason D will be there too.

Governor

Was not expecting that. Crazy.

Here is my coaching hotlist for the summer

Pat Where - proven this year why he is the best assistant in the valley. He and Kevin Patrick (aka KP) have them rolling. You make him say no.

Ryan Smith - one of the best around and an alum. Smitty does things the right way and will develop some young sluggers

Shaun Muesborn - Young and energetic SJM high coach. Has the bloodlines to go far. Will be end up being one of the greats here.

Jason Papi - One of the most storied coaches in CA. This one is a no brainer. Make him say no.

Derek Kuhn - He runs a great program and is a young coach. Has Liberty Madera Ranchos High on a roll.

Mitch Karraker - Fresno City College Manager. Home run hire if he wants it. Played at Buchanan High and would be a great fit. Make him say no in person.

Crusader123

Quote from: Governor on April 30, 2024, 09:06:32 AMWas not expecting that. Crazy.

Pat Where - proven this year why he is the best assistant in the valley. He and Kevin Patrick (aka KP) have them rolling. You make him say no.

Ryan Smith - one of the best around and an alum. Smitty does things the right way and will develop some young sluggers

Shaun Muesborn - Young and energetic SJM high coach. Has the bloodlines to go far. Will be end up being one of the greats here.

Jason Papi - One of the most storied coaches in CA. This one is a no brainer. Make him say no.

Derek Kuhn - He runs a great program and is a young coach. Has Liberty Madera Ranchos High on a roll.

Mitch Karraker - Fresno City College Manager. Home run hire if he wants it. Played at Buchanan High and would be a great fit. Make him say no in person.
From what I've been told.... Clovis Unified Head coaches can't immediately jump to another head coaching job in the district. Have to sit out a year before becoming "Head Coach". Also, this situation has also made this job a little unappealing to several of those candidates. Especially the last three names listed

SparkPlug

Quote from: Governor on April 30, 2024, 09:06:32 AMWas not expecting that. Crazy.

Really nice list here Governor.  Some really qualified names, and you didn't even mention the old regime at all.  I could see the Kemps, Seth Moranda and John Gross make their return to Bear Nation. I could also see Tom in an advisory role if Jason D is on staff.

Closer

I don't think Waer will apply for the job. I think he will take over for KP soon.

Governor

John Gross - old pitching coach at Buchanan High. Coaching pitching at Bullard High. You make him say no.

Timmy Winn

Reminder...no one's list last time had Troy Glaus. We have no idea how Buchanan will pivot. Does this experience sour their taste to outside candidates? Sounds like this move was intended to appease parents, will those same parents demand a familiar, local, experienced coach? How do parents get that much pull? So many questions.

BallGuy

Quote from: Timmy Winn on April 30, 2024, 06:34:53 PMReminder...no one's list last time had Troy Glaus. We have no idea how Buchanan will pivot. Does this experience sour their taste to outside candidates? Sounds like this move was intended to appease parents, will those same parents demand a familiar, local, experienced coach? How do parents get that much pull? So many questions.

A bit out of the loop here. Is it for sure Fontes won't stick around for more years? Coaching that program is hard, Glaus had an uphill battle. I have a ton of questions too. Fontes will right the ship, he rocks as a coach. My questions are more along the lines of Glaus. I don't know him, hell I'm not even coaching anymore, but just seems weird to me. Was he that much of a weasel? If so, why would he even want to coach? Just bring your kid to the valley and get on as an assistant. Just seems like such an odd situation.

Backstop

Gotta love Eric Byrnes article today. Called Buchanan leadership a bunch of lily livered go soft weenies! 😂😂😂

SparkPlug

Quote from: Backstop on May 01, 2024, 10:07:47 AMGotta love Eric Byrnes article today. Called Buchanan leadership a bunch of lily livered go soft weenies! 😂😂😂

What article?

tru guru

Quote from: BallGuy on April 30, 2024, 10:00:38 PMA bit out of the loop here. Is it for sure Fontes won't stick around for more years? Coaching that program is hard, Glaus had an uphill battle. I have a ton of questions too. Fontes will right the ship, he rocks as a coach. My questions are more along the lines of Glaus. I don't know him, hell I'm not even coaching anymore, but just seems weird to me. Was he that much of a weasel? If so, why would he even want to coach? Just bring your kid to the valley and get on as an assistant. Just seems like such an odd situation.

The plan going forward is for Fontes to stick around past this season but not "long term"  Buchanan can't afford to lose any more young talent so stability(or the illusion of stability) is important.  They have got to figure out how to keep their home grown players because they are no longer the transfer school of choice.

Governor

One name to watch I have heard is..

Josh Labby - Red Sox scout. Has pro knowledge of the game. Kid is coming up through program. This would be a big time get. Make him say no.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: Governor on May 01, 2024, 05:34:32 PMOne name to watch I have heard is..

Josh Labby - Red Sox scout. Has pro knowledge of the game. Kid is coming up through program. This would be a big time get. Make him say no.
Zero chance he wants to deal with parents at Buchanan.

Timmy Winn

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on May 01, 2024, 08:24:51 PMZero chance he wants to deal with parents at Buchanan.
Zero

Crusader123

Since we're throwing out random names, why not Kyle Dauer from Central? Has a team of "Who?"'s competing with everyone. tied for 3rd in TRAC. Took over this job just a week before their first game and has done a respectable job in my opinion. Young dude who might deserve a look. They've won 5 TRAC games and that's something Prieto couldnt even do in his tenure there...

Governor

Brandon Simon is another name. Edison High manager.

Great coach and a guy who is highly thought of. He has beat some really good clubs this year. From the area. Young guy.

To circle back to a previous name that was thrown around, I do not think Josh Labby would take it from what I heard at Buchanan High game last night. Would be a "conflict of interest" with him being a Red Sox scout.

ScoutTeamFish3

Quote from: Timmy Winn on April 30, 2024, 06:34:53 PMReminder...no one's list last time had Troy Glaus. We have no idea how Buchanan will pivot. Does this experience sour their taste to outside candidates? Sounds like this move was intended to appease parents, will those same parents demand a familiar, local, experienced coach? How do parents get that much pull? So many questions.

I think they stay in the brand, but not the names we expect. A name to keep in mind is Robert Chambaz. Currently coaches hitters at Bullard with Donald, and from what I heard he's next in line at Bullard.

Timmy Winn

Honestly, the best fit all around is Smith. He'd check a lot of boxes. Plus Clovis East is about to lose half of their feeders to Clovis South. The timing seems right for him. I think the parents and alumni would support him; as we've learned, at Buchanan that support is critical. Let Fontes coach next year as a transition while Smith sits out (if that truly is a requirement in CUSD) and and then have him be co-head or associate head for a year with Fontes until he takes over for good. Fontes can walk away and feel like he rescued the program. 2 year plan...

TRAC_Center069

What about Scott Isaak? Coached extensively at CW and a brief run at CNHS. Former Bear alumni I believe.

TRAC_Center069