News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

contenders vs pretenders

Started by hardhitter23, October 07, 2014, 11:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardhitter23

Who do you think the contenders and pretenders are now that we are in leauge play....

Edison is the real deal!!! However they seem to lose all their mojo when playoffs hit( They havent one a D1 championship since the 40's)

Darth Backer

I think we have a bunch of games this week that will tell us what we need to know about a number of teams:

SJM vs. Edison

Dinuba vs. CVC

Bullard vs. Madera

Bakersfield Christian vs. Chavez

Clovis North vs. Clovis West

Golden West vs. Lemoore

hardhitter23

Oh yes I believe that Dinuba vs CVC and Bullard vs Madera should be very good..

Edison might be too much for SJM

Bakersfield Christian should destory Chavez

Clovis North will beat West up front with the ground and pound

Great games Darth Backer!!!!!!!

izne1home

Quote from: hardhitter23 on October 07, 2014, 11:02:58 AM
Edison is the real deal!!! However they seem to lose all their mojo when playoffs hit( They havent one a D1 championship since the 40's)

I'm not sure Edison has had much mojo in the last few years.  They won games with raw physical talent.  Matt Johnson has them at a different level this year.  Unlikely it's going to wear off at playoff time. 

Quinntheeskimo

Who do you think the contenders and pretenders are now that we are in leauge play....

Edison won the D1 title in 1975.  And they would have won the D1 title in 2002, but they were in D2.  And,  RIP to Howard Lett, the QB on that 1975 undefeated Edison team who recently passed away.

diesel

Quote from: Quinntheeskimo on October 07, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Edison won the D1 title in 1975.  And they would have won the D1 title in 2002, but they were in D2.  And,  RIP to Howard Lett, the QB on that 1975 undefeated Edison team.

Let's not forget that in 2009 Edison won the D2 title as well.......and might have been able to avenge a regular season 17-14 loss to Bullard (the D1 champ that year) had they been in D1.....

hardhitter23

okay cool thank you... So they didnt win a D1 since 1975 the rest of them were D2 championships

Quinntheeskimo

Quote from: hardhitter23 on October 07, 2014, 02:00:04 PM
okay cool thank you... So they didnt win a D1 since 1975 the rest of them were D2 championships
And all were championships.

hardhitter23

Quote from: Quinntheeskimo on October 07, 2014, 02:04:04 PM
And all were championships.

agree I dont believe that was the question at hand; however you do stand correct

Darth Backer

Quote from: Quinntheeskimo on October 07, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Edison won the D1 title in 1975.  And they would have won the D1 title in 2002, but they were in D2.  And,  RIP to Howard Lett, the QB on that 1975 undefeated Edison team who recently passed away.

Basically D2, it was called Yosemite Division "Small" back then...

Quinntheeskimo

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 07, 2014, 02:12:08 PM
There was nothing small about that 2002 Edison team.  Once Clifton Smith got healthy in the second half of the season it was all over.  If they had been D1 I am convinced that they would have won that division title too.  They destroyed every team they played in the playoffs...it was like watching Patton take apart the Wehrmacht in WWII.  Clifton Smith (Fresno State and Pro-Bowl), WR Brandon Breazell (UCLA and holds one NCAA record), DE Lawrence Ball (full ride to Arizona), Safety Bernard Hicks (full ride to Cal), DB Lorenzo Sims (full ride to Colorado) along with others who played at the D2 level and sophs like Robert Peele (full ride at Cal).  That was a fun team to watch.

diesel

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 07, 2014, 02:12:08 PM

What year did the CIF change it to D1 - D6?

Darth Backer

The Pagmeter website shows Division 1-5 in 1998 but I don't think that is right...

2003 1-5

2008 1-6

I can't remember how long there was Yosemite "Small" and "Big" but it was a weird system.  The top 16 teams made the play-offs and then they were divided by CBEDS top 8 and bottom 8.  I think it only went on for a few years.

diesel

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 07, 2014, 02:53:05 PM
The Pagmeter website shows Division 1-5 in 1998 but I don't think that is right...

2003 1-5

2008 1-6

I can't remember how long there was Yosemite "Small" and "Big" but it was a weird system.  The top 16 teams made the play-offs and then they were divided by CBEDS top 8 and bottom 8.  I think it only went on for a few years.

I was just curious......I had it in my head that when Tulare went back to back in '99 and '00 the first was a Yosemite Small school and the second was a D2 title......I could be wrong.....

obiwan

Quote from: hardhitter23 on October 07, 2014, 11:18:45 AM
Oh yes I believe that Dinuba vs CVC and Bullard vs Madera should be very good..

Edison might be too much for SJM

Bakersfield Christian should destory Chavez

Clovis North will beat West up front with the ground and pound

Great games Darth Backer!!!!!!!

Why we are talking about school that are in kern county? It's obvious that Bako christian isn't the same team as last year and where is Chavez?

flexmac3

Quote from: obiwan on October 07, 2014, 03:04:13 PM
Why we are talking about school that are in kern county? It's obvious that Bako christian isn't the same team as last year and where is Chavez?
Lol, Were talking about Kern County schools because, last I checked they are in the Central section.

obiwan

Quote from: flexmac3 on October 07, 2014, 06:00:11 PM
Lol, Were talking about Kern Count schools because, last I checked they are in the Central section.

Good Point, but why would that game be even brought up?

flexmac3

Quote from: obiwan on October 07, 2014, 07:06:25 PM
Good Point, but why would that game be even brought up?
Well, Chavez is still undefeated, and although BCHS is 3-3, they are still pretty good.
At this point, this is maybe the biggest game in school history.
lol, obiwan, football still does exist in the south valley :u:

bksflddan

Edison Tigeers were VC in 1969 and 1975 ...

They have the inside track at this point in 2014 ...
"The crux of leadership is seeing what needs to be done and doing it before anyone else"

Run fast! Stay Low!

laidback

Quote from: Darth Backer on October 07, 2014, 11:08:24 AM
I think we have a bunch of games this week that will tell us what we need to know about a number of teams:

SJM vs. Edison

Dinuba vs. CVC

Bullard vs. Madera

Bakersfield Christian vs. Chavez

Clovis North vs. Clovis West

Golden West vs. Lemoore

The only thing I want to know about these teams is, & I know I'm going to take crap for this, did SJM get rid of those butt ugly unis they were wearing on the televised game?
LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR

laidback

LOYALTY - PRIDE - HONOR