News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

Any other schools having issues with 7v7 teams?

Started by BDF, March 30, 2017, 10:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThetruthBeTold

@ BDF, I was talking to some of my buddies about this thread earlier today.  And here is my final input for you.  I would continue to play 7v7, combines, showcases etc.  Who cares about the $150.  I'm sure we ALL spend more then that on foolish things anyways.   At the end of the day $150 for a exciting weekend spent with your son and family will be priceless, REGARDLESS if he gets a offer or not.  When the season is over and his time is done I promise you this, he will remember and cherish those 7v7 / passing league moments the most and you will too.   

Coach Clements

Quote from: ThetruthBeTold on April 04, 2017, 10:56:29 AM
@ BDF, I was talking to some of my buddies about this thread earlier today.  And here is my final input for you.  I would continue to play 7v7, combines, showcases etc.  Who cares about the $150.  I'm sure we ALL spend more then that on foolish things anyways.   At the end of the day $150 for a exciting weekend spent with your son and family will be priceless, REGARDLESS if he gets a offer or not.  When the season is over and his time is done I promise you this, he will remember and cherish those 7v7 / passing league moments the most and you will too.

I'd hope that his REAL football career would create some greater moments than his club 7on7 moments. If not, that's a shame.
Redwood Rangers: 1973, 1982, 1983, 1996 D1 Central Section Champions

ThetruthBeTold

Quote from: Coach Clements on April 04, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
I'd hope that his REAL football career would create some greater moments than his club 7on7 moments. If not, that's a shame.

I'm sure they both will coach :)   Both are DIFFERENT kinds of fun. 

mw1

Here is a Bakersfield Californian article on three kids from BHS who were just got offers to play at Nevada.  Coincidentally, all three of these kids play on the same 7-v-7 team.. and the father in the story is one of the adults who run/coach the local passing league team.  When players get offers in the middle of passing league season.. and the guy calling the college DB coach is their passing-league coach, and not their HS coach??  Like I said earlier.. good luck telling these kids to just enjoy playing high school football:

http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/three-drillers-get-football-offers-godinez-commits-to-fresno-state/article_1d050182-a06b-57e3-8acd-b2c514a60436.html
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

ThetruthBeTold

Quote from: mw1 on April 21, 2017, 08:06:09 AM
Here is a Bakersfield Californian article on three kids from BHS who were just got offers to play at Nevada.  Coincidentally, all three of these kids play on the same 7-v-7 team.. and the father in the story is one of the adults who run/coach the local passing league team.  When players get offers in the middle of passing league season.. and the guy calling the college DB coach is their passing-league coach, and not their HS coach??  Like I said earlier.. good luck telling these kids to just enjoy playing high school football:

http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/three-drillers-get-football-offers-godinez-commits-to-fresno-state/article_1d050182-a06b-57e3-8acd-b2c514a60436.html

Great post!! This pretty much sums it all up.  Kids and parents will follow who ever is picking up the phone for there kid/player. If ALL high school coaches don't pick it up soon they will find themselves playing second fiddle to 7 vs 7 programs, just like I said earlier on this thread. 

Darth Backer

Quote from: ThetruthBeTold on April 21, 2017, 09:52:12 AM

Great post!! This pretty much sums it all up.  Kids and parents will follow who ever is picking up the phone for there kid/player. If ALL high school coaches don't pick it up soon they will find themselves playing second fiddle to 7 vs 7 programs, just like I said earlier on this thread.

You're delusional! We block and tackle in football son, not play tag! You've still got to be able to ball to get a scholarship...

mw1

Quote from: Darth Backer on April 21, 2017, 10:54:49 AM
You're delusional! We block and tackle in football son, not play tag! You've still got to be able to ball to get a scholarship...

That may be case for running backs, linemen, LB's, DE's... however, for the DB position (which is what these kids are being recruited for), these guys are getting offers from these events.  The Stanford and other head coaches can say/believe whatever they want... however, I'd bet you $$$$$ that the DB coaches at those schools are keeping up-to-speed on these passing-league competitions. 

The delusional ones are the parents/kids who make playing college ball their #1 goal in high school.. because, the odds are waayyyy against that happening.  It is like having one plan for retirement.. and that is to win the lottery.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

ThetruthBeTold

Forceuser

This is what I tell my kids.  "You may peak someones interest at a 7 on 7 or a combine.  But in the end, they will all come too me (high school head coach) and speak to me about you."  7 on 7 coaches are promoters, it's a business first, touch football team second.  High school coaches are coaches, we see these kids more than any 7 on 7 coach.  We know the person, not just the athlete. 

But as far as 7 on 7 teams go, we (Shafter) will have one next year, to go and compete.  For a program, I think it has it's value.  The more my QB's can throw to the actual receivers they will throw too on Friday night, the better.  Relationship and familiarity are big for skill guys, when you run a legit passing scheme. 

But on a whole I am a Lineman in thought and process, so 7 on 7 is stupid too me.  How can you say it's anything like football, when you can not even block? 

Anyways....
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

TeddyKGB

Quote from: ThetruthBeTold on April 21, 2017, 09:52:12 AM

I think the one thing that is over looked here is that these 3 kids are probably as good or better than just about any athlete in town. They aren't being recruited/offered because the 7 v 7 coach called, they are getting offered because the coach saw game film and saw what kind of athletes these kids are.

mw1

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 24, 2017, 11:26:53 AM
I think the one thing that is over looked here is that these 3 kids are probably as good or better than just about any athlete in town. They aren't being recruited/offered because the 7 v 7 coach called, they are getting offered because the coach saw game film and saw what kind of athletes these kids are.

Nevada probably has its eyes on BHS because Asuani Rufus... who was such a great find.  Coaches also probably had their eyes on Cam Williams because he was already offered as a freshman.  I agree with you regarding the game film (because they looked good last season); however, it is about how it is perceived.  If I were an athlete looking to play at the next level, I would see this and think that I have to get into this passing-league thing to increase my exposure.  I would also think that I have to transfer over to BHS... which, I guarantee you, is running through the minds of a few kids right now.  It is the timing of the offers, and the manner in which those offers were communicated that make it seem that the passing-league involvement had an impact on getting it done.  Why were these kids not offered in December or January... following a great season?

TeddyKGB

mw I completely agree with yo, the perception is key and you as well as I know that the guys behind the 7 v7 "club teams" are selling this as if it weren't for 7v7 those kids would have never been talked to.

the football guy

BDF bad mouthing college coaches wont get you anywhere..
Plus they really dont care what you think.
Also if you think those coaches at Nevada are not doing their research on these kids you are completely wrong!!
Now a days kids can fax, snap a pix of their transcripts.
Most of you dont know how recruiting goes, you might think you do, but you really dont. The bako guys are not good dudes. 
Nevada DB coach was also coaching at OU also he is a fresno native and also a Edison Alum and was coach by Tony Perry.  Some of you guys cant be happy for these young men, regardless of when and how they get offered. They are getting their education paid for!! And hopefully become great community members.. I am sorry, but stop with all the  sourness.  The process is different then it was in our days. Get over it.

Sofa_King Special

BDF, not sure why you are infatuated with this DB coach from Nevada offering these young men.  Recruiting is not an exact science and you should know that.  Also it is against the NCAA Rules for the coaches to get kickbacks.  I think a lot of people have a sour taste in their mouths with the whole 7 on 7 thing because there have been some kids who went to big time schools who were average to above average football players but were great at 7 on 7.  None of those players panned out at that level but maybe it was to big for them.  I think it is OK to question someone getting an offer from a certain school and what those coaches see but all coaches and programs evaluate talent differently.  So we should all hope they do well.  Watch the Tape!

DEE

most of the people that are responding negativity about the 7 on 7 have no clue.  i agree with "football guy" you shouldn't be speaking about something when you know nothing.  the Nevada DB coach is one of the hardest working young college DB coaches around.  i can't speak about Proway in Bakersfield, but i do know dbguru doesn't not charge kids a monthly rate....no money goes to any coaches!  7 on 7 isn't going anywhere might as well get used to it BDF......

TeddyKGB

What the heck, I'm bored...DEE, what exactly does no one except you and a select few know that the rest of population have no clue about? I don't know the DB coach at Nevada but I'd like to understand what exactly he does that so different than anyone else to make him, in your words, one of the hardest working young coaches around. AGAIN, I have not once made a disparaging about this coach nor will, I would just like to hear why you believe hes one of the hardest working young coaches.

Question as far as
"I think a lot of people have a sour taste in their mouths with the whole 7 on 7 thing because there have been some kids who went to big time schools who were average to above average football players but were great at 7 on 7." 
Who are these kids that where average football players but great at 7 on 7? Can you provide a name or two? What head college football coach offered a scholarship based on 7 on 7 "greatness" but average or above average football talent.

What I think should be noted is that being "offered" and being signed are vastly different, schools can pass offers out like izne passes out ruffies and "blue pills" at CW Booster parties, but to sign a kid is very different. I believe, I say that because I's just that a belief on my part, that schools offer kids as a positioning tool a way to garner favor with the kid like "hey we were the first to offer you" maybe they feel it gives them a leg up with that kid.

Sofa_King Special

I look back at some of those kids that signed at Oklahoma years ago.  I think only 1 of the 3 would be considered an above average or great, impact high school football player.  I cant remember their names off the top of my head.  1 of them was Quick who was the real deal. 

Anyways, all college coaches have had to work hard to get where they are.  Whether they are a position coach or whatever it is a grind to get into that spot.  I would bet that since he is from the valley people are a little more hypersensitive about his situation. 

Forceuser

Quote from: TeddyKGB on April 25, 2017, 12:22:12 PM
What I think should be noted is that being "offered" and being signed are vastly different, schools can pass offers out like izne passes out ruffies and "blue pills" at CW Booster parties, but to sign a kid is very different.

You are right oon Teddy, this is one of my pet peeves about the whole notions of "offers".   I know of at multiple kids that had over 15 offers, but in the end only had 2 scholarship to choose between.  I really do believe that colleges use "offers" as hooks, nothing more nothing less. 

"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."
― Pope Paul VI

Darth Backer

Quote from: Sofa_King Special on April 25, 2017, 01:07:33 PM
I look back at some of those kids that signed at Oklahoma years ago.  I think only 1 of the 3 would be considered an above average or great, impact high school football player.  I cant remember their names off the top of my head.  1 of them was Quick who was the real deal. 

Anyways, all college coaches have had to work hard to get where they are.  Whether they are a position coach or whatever it is a grind to get into that spot.  I would bet that since he is from the valley people are a little more hypersensitive about his situation.

Hatari Byrd ring a bell?

Darth Backer