News:

We have upgraded the forums, still a work in progress, if you are having issues, please email [email protected]

Main Menu

What a Joke!

Started by GoldenHawksFootball, November 18, 2014, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenHawksFootball

The current CFP rankings are a complete joke.

next opponent           ranking
1. Alabama         Western Carolina      not even on the ranking
2. Oregon           Colorado                     74th
3. Florida St.       Boston College             60th
4. Mississippi St   Vanderbilt                    93rd
5. TCU                Idle
6. Ohio St.           Indiana                       81st
7. Baylor             Oklahoma St.               62nd

Pretty easy to hold the monopoly on the rankings when none of the top teams play anyone close to being top 25 competition.
If you're Florida State, you've played NO top 25 teams when Notre Dame fell off the ranking. What exactly have they done this year?
They continue to win by small margins against weak competition.

JackSparrow

Florida State does play a solid Boston College squad this week no doubt. I think they still deserve to be #2 seed. I guess there is something to be said with all of their comeback victories this season. Alabama is still the best team in the land, even though they lost a game.

GoldenHawksFootball

Oh yes Alabama that great team with the struggling offensive coordinator Layne Kiffin. They have had problems putting teams away. Pass offense isn't close to being best. I go with Oregon right now.

taysdad

i think florida st and miss st lose when it's all said and done. florida st to florida, miss st to ole miss. my prediction when it's finalized...1. bama 2. oregon 3. ohio st 4. baylor

theMHSguy

How about only conference winners play for the trophy? BCS was horrible, this is worse.
"Victory is often achieved in inches, timed in seconds, and denied through mistakes. A true champion learns, through sweat and sacrifice, that he can overcome these mistakes. For a true champion, the thrill of victory is ample reward for the hardships of training." Vince Lombardi

taysdad

i believe there are 10 fbs conferences (11 if you count independents). so take all conference champs, and 5 more teams and have a 16 team playoff. just like the fcs...i don't understand why that's so hard to do. shoot, i remember there was talk of fcs expanding to a 24 team playoff.

CWClassof2007

Quote from: taysdad on November 19, 2014, 12:28:31 PM
i believe there are 10 fbs conferences (11 if you count independents). so take all conference champs, and 5 more teams and have a 16 team playoff. just like the fcs...i don't understand why that's so hard to do. shoot, i remember there was talk of fcs expanding to a 24 team playoff.
I believe the fcs expanded to 20 teams & the top 4 teams have a bye

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote from: theMHSguy on November 19, 2014, 10:36:49 AM
How about only conference winners play for the trophy? BCS was horrible, this is worse.

What about undefeated Marshall? Are they better than SEC #2 or PAC 12 #2? Should they get the bid as 1 of the 16 or 20?

flexmac3

Quote from: CWClassof2007 on November 19, 2014, 12:32:13 PM
I believe the fcs expanded to 20 teams & the top 4 teams have a bye
For a 20 team bracket, I think 12 teams would have to have a bye.

Also, I think the FCS has expanded again to 24 teams now with 8 byes, I think :huh

flexmac3

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on November 19, 2014, 02:19:47 PM
What about undefeated Marshall? Are they better than SEC #2 or PAC 12 #2? Should they get the bid as 1 of the 16 or 20?
IMO, No.

ETKilla

There is absolutely no need to have a 16 or 20 man bracket.  And this is not worse than the BCS.  How could that be?  We get the expansion of 2 extra teams to compete for a national championship.  If you're sitting at number 9 in the nation with 2 loses you're out.  Simple.  Also, top to bottom not every conference is that great.  4 is ok with me, no one will be bitching after the games are played in January.  I would like to see 8 but making it more than that is 100% not necessary sorry. 
Mike Jones.  Who?  Mike Jones.  281-330-8004

GoldenHawksFootball

Quote from: ETKilla on November 19, 2014, 02:41:52 PM
There is absolutely no need to have a 16 or 20 man bracket.  And this is not worse than the BCS.  How could that be?  We get the expansion of 2 extra teams to compete for a national championship.  If you're sitting at number 9 in the nation with 2 loses you're out.  Simple.  Also, top to bottom not every conference is that great.  4 is ok with me, no one will be bitching after the games are played in January.  I would like to see 8 but making it more than that is 100% not necessary sorry. 

Killa I agree that it is better than the 1 game crystal ball game. But come on we are kidding ourselves this year if we think a true champion is one of the 4. I'd make a bold claim and say a team from #5-25 would win the championship before the 1-4 would. How often does 1-4 make the final four in basketball? Not hardly. So yes, its better but nowhere near what it should be. After these 4 play we will be left with more questions than answers..Shoot I'd like to see 16. If the CIF was running this they would have every team would go and 16 of those 100+ schools would be playing and the others would have all byes.

taysdad

i could live with 8

1. Alabama vs 8. Ole Miss
2 Oregon vs. 7 Baylor (that would be a 70-63 type game)
3. Florida st. vs 6. Ohio St.
4. Miss St vs 5 TCU

now that's a playoff!

CWClassof2007

Quote from: flexmac3 on November 19, 2014, 02:37:01 PM
For a 20 team bracket, I think 12 teams would have to have a bye.

Also, I think the FCS has expanded again to 24 teams now with 8 byes, I think :huh
You're correct. It's a 24 team bracket with the top 8 teams seeded & they all have first round byes.

flexmac3

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on November 19, 2014, 03:56:42 PM
Killa I agree that it is better than the 1 game crystal ball game. But come on we are kidding ourselves this year if we think a true champion is one of the 4. I'd make a bold claim and say a team from #5-25 would win the championship before the 1-4 would. How often does 1-4 make the final four in basketball? Not hardly. So yes, its better but nowhere near what it should be. After these 4 play we will be left with more questions than answers..Shoot I'd like to see 16. If the CIF was running this they would have every team would go and 16 of those 100+ schools would be playing and the others would have all byes.
GHF, there still is more to come, still like three weeks left in the FBS season.
Also, the NCAA should require every conference to have a conference championship game.

Just_A_Fan

Quote from: ETKilla on November 19, 2014, 02:41:52 PM

ten conferences, ten teams, the winners of each conference.....seems about as straight forward and fair as it possibly could be....you don't belong to a conference, you aren't invited to the dance.....agree that 16-20 is a bit over the top...let the champs duke it out....last one standing is the national champ.

GoldenHawksFootball

I personally can't stand the conference Championships Flex. To me that's a waste of a week or 2 that can be used for a 4 week 16 team playoff starting 1st week of December ending 1st week of January like it happens anyway. 10 conference champions decided in the regular season, 6 at large bids based on the rankings and who the committee chose. So you'd get some more SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12 schools in there that should be in there.

ETKilla

Quote from: Just_A_Fan on November 19, 2014, 08:02:59 PM
ten conferences, ten teams, the winners of each conference.....seems about as straight forward and fair as it possibly could be....you don't belong to a conference, you aren't invited to the dance.....agree that 16-20 is a bit over the top...let the champs duke it out....last one standing is the national champ.

I would strongly disagree with this due to the fact the SEC is MUCH stronger of a conference than any other by FAR.  This is just my opinion, but LSU and Alabama I believe have both not played in the conference championship in recent years and went on to win the championship.  In this theory you might be leaving out the best teams. 

ETKilla

Quote from: GoldenHawksFootball on November 19, 2014, 03:56:42 PM

GHF I respect your opinion here but I just disagree with this also.  I have a hard time seeing anyone beat Alabama, Oregon, or FSU at this point.  FSU has close games I know, but they haven't lost in 2 years.  Alabama is playing much better than in the beginning of the year with only Auburn and Georgia in their way I believe.  Oregon has really no comp the rest of the year and have pretty much ran through their opponents.  I like TCU or OSU to move up in the next couple week.  Ole Miss, UCLA have had their shots and have no chance against to top tier.  I would obviously like to see a larger playoff but don't see the necessity of it.   

Denver Viking

Quote from: flexmac3 on November 19, 2014, 06:43:32 PM
GHF, there still is more to come, still like three weeks left in the FBS season.
Also, the NCAA should require every conference to have a conference championship game.

I think making every conference play 9 conference games is more important than a championship game. I know some people believe the Big-12 is behind here, but every team in the conference plays every other team in the conference.

It's easier to go undefeated in the SEC with 8 conference games and a championship game than to do the same in the Pac-12 where you play 9 conference games and a championship (not to mention playing those games in altitude, desert and Pacific Northwest climates, let alone having way more travel within the conference).
Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!
"I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  -- General George C. Marshall Chief of Staff, US Army, World War II

Denver Viking

Go Kingsburg
Go Army, Beat Navy!
"I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player."  -- General George C. Marshall Chief of Staff, US Army, World War II